Tuesday 19 July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 19 July 2016

Post by SpinningHugo »

frog222 wrote:http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 93811.html

Article 50 is already "paused" .

What are the bookmakers quoting on 'not this year', 'not next year', 'never' etc ?
How about never?

Never is good for me.

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2016 ... e-invoked/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I also agree with never for Article 50 but much of the damage has already been done, more than can be remedied by refusing to call it.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

I find, even though I really, really don't want to come out of the EU, it wrong to ignore/ dismiss the referendum. Like the arguments against the role of the Labour party membership in decision making it all smacks of a major disempowerment. "We thank you for your input into our democracy and be assured that we will take your views into consideration." Not what I want to accept as my democratic function.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Excuse me for interrupting what seems to be turning into Fly The Nest (Let's Discuss Corbyn) Haven but this was flagged up earlier.

Lilac Sky Academy Trust: The end of the Road

http://www.kentadvice.co.uk/peters-blog ... -road.html
One of the very worst academy chains operating in Kent in my view, as illustrated many times elsewhere on this website is Lilac Sky Academy Trust (LLSAT), founded by Mr Trevor Averre-Beeson in 2009. It therefore comes as no surprise to learn that the Academies operation of Lilac Sky is to be closed down by the Regional Schools Commissioner, all the schools to be passed over to other chains, with parents being quietly informed on academy websites. The Chair of the Academy Trust has already gone, to be replaced by a new Interim Chair.
but looks who's involved...
The academy is being handed over to ‘Turner Schools’ along with Morehall Academy, also in Folkestone. There is little information available about this organisation, but: “Jo Saxton, Ph.D. is founder of Turner Schools, a new MAT dedicated to improving outcomes in East and North Kent, and is a Trustee of NSN, the charity that helps people set-up new state funded schools. Until recently Jo was Chief Executive of Future Academies, the MAT chaired by Lord Nash, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Schools, and Jo remains a Director of the Trust”. Turner Schools has also been reported as being interested in taking over the controversial Spires Academy in Canterbury.
and what's worse...
Other Lilac Sky Academies
In Kent, these are Thistle Hill Primary on the Isle of Sheppey, Principal Ms Averre, and Richmond Primary in Sheerness, both to pass to Stour Academy Trust, see letter. There are also four primary academies in East Sussex, Hailsham and Newhaven, new build one form entry academies opened in September 2015, White House Academy new build one form entry primary opened September 2014; and Marshlands Academy, served with a Government Pre-Termination Warning in November 2015, because of unacceptably low standards.
So a year after 4 new schools opened, the trust is being shut down?

:roll:
I also seem to remember David Cameron in his final speech announcing quite a lot more free schools. Was quite shocked. How many of these will be taken over by a trust which subsequently disappears?
How much is all this costing?
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Personally I think that Momentum's latest newsletter is a bit OTT.
2016-07-19_120158.jpg
2016-07-19_120158.jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 6830 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

fedup59 wrote:I find, even though I really, really don't want to come out of the EU, it wrong to ignore/ dismiss the referendum..
I know what you mean and to some extent would agree had it not been for so many lies. But then there were lies from both sides but what probably irks me more is that prat Cameron who having called the referendum claimed it as his own. Given how close the result I still wonder how much his spearheading the Remain campaign damaged it. Remember the AV referendum, albeit not PR how many commentators btl at the G kept saying they'd vote against just to spite Clegg. No accounting for fools.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Maeght wrote: I also seem to remember David Cameron in his final speech announcing quite a lot more free schools. Was quite shocked. How many of these will be taken over by a trust which subsequently disappears?
How much is all this costing?
Some of the 31 Free Schools in that announcement are being opened by academy trusts - the idea that parent groups would be the driver behind this is long gone. One of the things that proposers have to demonstrate is that they have experience in running a successful school - can parent groups do this if this is their first school being proposed? Of course not...

DfE have learned their lesson that it is dangerous to give people inexperienced in running a school the chance to run one. Who knew?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@ROT

Apart from the odd exception, I don't believe it were ever about parents, Roger, as the NHS reforms were never really about patient choice. Something I seem to be repeating a lot just lately is that liars should be barred from public office.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

danesclose wrote:Personally I think that Momentum's latest newsletter is a bit OTT.
2016-07-19_120158.jpg
Why does it have Cripsin Blunt in the middle?
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

SpinningHugo wrote: ...they are more than outweighed by those who have joined enthused by Corbyn's leadership.
Ban them. Ban them all.

Oh, they already have. Nevermind.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PS has anyone seen the news about Liz Truss's appointment being illegal? Edit: Can't find the link now, effing Guardian app.
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

utopiandreams wrote:
fedup59 wrote:I find, even though I really, really don't want to come out of the EU, it wrong to ignore/ dismiss the referendum..
I know what you mean and to some extent would agree had it not been for so many lies. But then there were lies from both sides but what probably irks me more is that prat Cameron who having called the referendum claimed it as his own. Given how close the result I still wonder how much his spearheading the Remain campaign damaged it. Remember the AV referendum, albeit not PR how many commentators btl at the G kept saying they'd vote against just to spite Clegg. No accounting for fools.
While in part I agree the lies on both sides, plus the lack of space given to any realistic analysis of the pros and cons, have undermined the whole process I honestly can't see if the result had been reversed that we would be arguing it should be ignored.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Not ignored, but a further referendum down the line.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

JonnyT1234 wrote:PS has anyone seen the news about Liz Truss's appointment being illegal? Edit: Can't find the link now, effing Guardian app.
One of the other justice ministers has resigned in protest at her appointment - there's few stories about that out there, here's one. Not sure how it could be illegal - Gove wasn't a lawyer, nor was his predecessor (edited to add - Grayling).
Last edited by adam on Tue 19 Jul, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I still believe in a town called Hope
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Speaking of Liz Truss and hospitals for that matter, the last time I was there we were parked in a side room and she was on the telly giving a live speech to parliament. In my best Liz Truss impersonation, just knock about sixty years off does the trick, I almost quoted her word for word before she did. Fellow patients were amazed... until I told them that I'd read it earlier in the G. Why is it that politicians release their speeches to the media before they're made, even those they address to the House?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: ...they are more than outweighed by those who have joined enthused by Corbyn's leadership.
Ban them. Ban them all.

Oh, they already have. Nevermind.
Well, it does explain why the cut off date is so important.And why there is a possibility, put no higher, that JC might lose.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cnq5B_7XgAEOjxl.jpg
Cnq5B_7XgAEOjxl.jpg (141.9 KiB) Viewed 6744 times

judy hamilton

Person asks Labour MP about the £25 fee to vote in Leadership election... Unbelievable response.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

adam wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:PS has anyone seen the news about Liz Truss's appointment being illegal? Edit: Can't find the link now, effing Guardian app.
One of the other justice ministers has resigned in protest at her appointment - there's few stories about that out there, here's one. Not sure how it could be illegal - Gove wasn't a lawyer, nor was his predecessor.
I may have misremembered a quickly skimmed article this am, but I recalled it saying that the law stated she needed certain qualifications to be appointed. Seeing as it appears to have been disappeared by the graun, perhaps it was wrong.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Another poll factoid from last night - whilst Smith polls third overall, he does *much* better in a straight fight with JC amongst young members than Eagle.

Shows that he has the greater potential, arguably.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Cnq5B_7XgAEOjxl.jpg

judy hamilton

Person asks Labour MP about the £25 fee to vote in Leadership election... Unbelievable response.
PLP. Listening but not hearing since 1996.

Do you think any of them are even bothering to wonder why it is that Corbyn could still win a leadership election despite all the mud flying about? Or are they really incapable of getting beyond 'entryism' before their brains crash?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"...shortly after we heard Jeremy calling for the immediate triggering of Article 50. Without any discussion with
the Shadow Cabinet or the Leader of the European Parliamentary Labour Party.

The country had just voted to leave the EU after more than 40 years and Jeremy made a major announcement on
the Party’s position without waiting to discuss it with the Shadow Cabinet, without even consulting the leader of
our MEPs in Europe."

- Lilian Greenwood MP
Nottingham South

http://www.liliangreenwood.co.uk/lilian ... ty_members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is this true?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

That will depend which side of the fence you sit on JA.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:That will depend which side of the fence you sit on JA.
Did Corbyn speak with the Shadow Cabinet and the MEPs prior letting them know he'd demand Cameron invoke Article 50 or not?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Those all important meetings between Boris the Clown and the US post-Brexit get off to a flying start
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Cnq5B_7XgAEOjxl.jpg

judy hamilton

Do you think any of them are even bothering to wonder why it is that Corbyn could still win a leadership election despite all the mud flying about? Or are they really incapable of getting beyond 'entryism' before their brains crash?
Oh I think we both know the answer to that one.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:
yahyah wrote:That will depend which side of the fence you sit on JA.
Did Corbyn speak with the Shadow Cabinet and the MEPs prior letting them know he'd demand Cameron invoke Article 50 or not?
When the government, then and now, were/are saying 'well it's not a simple as that, we need to start discussions and negotiations to see where we're going to go', and the rest of Europe are saying (very consistently) 'There is nothing to talk about unless or until you invoke Article 50', I think Corbyn's response was honest - (in the same way that his 'the EU is imperfect but we need to support it and vote remain' was honest, especially when compared to the lunacy of Cameron and Osborne saying in advance that they would campaign for Leave if they didn't get what they wanted and then announcing that leave would be the end of civilisation.)
I still believe in a town called Hope
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Melania Trump’s speech: she couldn’t make it up
Was Donald Trump’s wife’s address to the Republican convention a blatant steal from Michelle Obama (and Rick Astley)? Or was it all an elaborate act of sabotage by a rogue speechwriter?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/sho ... elle-obama" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

fedup59 wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:
While in part I agree the lies on both sides, plus the lack of space given to any realistic analysis of the pros and cons, have undermined the whole process I honestly can't see if the result had been reversed that we would be arguing it should be ignored.
There should have been a higher threshold for overturning the status quo, in their arrogance Camborne didn't think they could lose. You could say they/we lost for that very reason, that they're so out of touch.

What strikes me now, given all the complaints about project fear, is how little we heard about the actual process of leaving, how long it would take, what would be involved, the difficulty of negotiating new trade deals in advance of the end of the leaving process. Might have given a few people pause for thought. Even now many commentators don't seem to get it, nor indeed does the man notionally in charge.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
adam wrote:
One of the other justice ministers has resigned in protest at her appointment - there's few stories about that out there, here's one. Not sure how it could be illegal - Gove wasn't a lawyer, nor was his predecessor.
I may have misremembered a quickly skimmed article this am, but I recalled it saying that the law stated she needed certain qualifications to be appointed. Seeing as it appears to have been disappeared by the graun, perhaps it was wrong.
Can't remember his name [Grayling?] but the one before Gove, didn't have any qualifications in the law, but apparently, although it had always been the custom to give the job to someone who knew what they were doing, it wasn't written in stone.

A classic example of dumbing down.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

JonnyT1234 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Cnq5B_7XgAEOjxl.jpg

judy hamilton

"HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF ENTRYISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

In the real world, the ENTIRE membership of all far-left groups in the UK doesn't amount to 10k people.

With the (welcome) decline of the SWP, it might now be nearer 5k.

But "they" are taking over Labour :roll:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If Eagle gets the nomination I will vote Corbyn. Can't see the point of having all this kerfuffle for a candidate as poor as Eagle. Can't see her grabbing the nation's confidence either.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

Yes, Jeremy Corbyn has suffered a bad press, but where's the harm? https://www.theguardian.com/media/green ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

An alleged ‘spitting incident’, which may have led to the suspension of the Brighton, Hove and District Labour Party, ‘never happened’, according to the man who has outed himself as the accused.

http://brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk ... -spitting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I wonder, has Eagle mentioned that she is a "northern working class woman" yet today? Or that her dad was a printer and her mum a seamstress??

If she had any sense, she would be making being good at chess more of a thing.

But doubtless the likes of McTernan have told her that isn't the right "image" :roll:
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Tue 19 Jul, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Personally I think a lot hinges on whether or not Corbyn refused to meet the shadow cabinet and MEPs post referendum before his response to Cameron at the dispatch box. Being for Remain I felt let down by his acquiescence but suspect the shadow cabinet collectively failed given their ensuing action. Had there been a constructive meeting I'm sure we'd have seen a different response. Having said that, I didn't join the Labour party, sorry Robert and PF it's still the old LibDem in me, so my view is hardly here nor there.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 2m2 minutes ago

Jeremy Corbyn just told NEC he did take holiday during #EUref. Jokes he arrived Exmouth 6pm Bank Hol Mon, and left 11am Tues for PortTalbot.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If Corbyn wins again, in the spirit of compromise, maybe he could get a management trainer in, or someone who can work on the team and communication issues ?
If the complaints are not malicious, there is clearly a deficiency in his performance.

In most other jobs the issue would be addressed, and the person with the skill deficit would be expected to change their performance in that area, for the sake of the company or organisation.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

If I had a vote, I wouldn't be voting for anyone. I'd vote Corbyn because I'm against the slick, thick Tory-lites that are the alternative. Same as I don't vote for Labour but against the Tories.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Speaking of chess playing women... When I were a lad and good at such things I often found myself in quiet halls interrupted by whispers and squeaky shoes on highly polished floors plus the occasional slam on top of a chess clock. God I used to get bored. Anyway apart from the freaks that graced such hallowed ground I remember the reaction of most of the lads that were once beaten by a girl. Now that's what I call misogyny.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Corbyn Dilemma from Chris Dillow
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

A crowdfunding website is nearly up to £100,000 for prosecuting Brexit politicians.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Maeght wrote:http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com

Similar to what's been going round my head. Thanks for the link Maeght.

The real problem seems to be that Labour cannot bring forward someone who combines the views members want and can work as an effective team leader.

Where are the big beasts ?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Hello everyone from a very sunny Cornwall

Limited internet access as I am sure all our rural dwellers will already be aware of.....it is an important eye opener for us city livers,....

Not going to talk about Corbyn as it has all been said....getting a bit wearing now.

Tories, of course, still being incompetent and getting away with it as well.......imagine if David Davis had been a Labour politician speaking such ignorant nonsense about trade?

Glad to see AAW here recently...had a little falling out a couple of weeks ago and would like to pass on any apologies

Interesting question about Irish history...a thorny and emotive subject. I always tend to go back to the simple 'Brief Histories' to help work out where to look into for more in-depth research. With Ireland you have to even go back to the Normans to get a true feeling of what has gone on there...and it ain't pretty for us Brits!

Final point, I did suggest to my wife we recorded the presence of the big Red Admiral in the small bathroom of our accommodation (whilst she was on the loo) for the British butterfly survey. She didn't seem keen
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have a great holiday How Silly.

Our wildlife visits have been nine bats in the house, including one in my husband's t shirt as he put it on, and a frog in my gardening clogs.

The frog nearly got squashed but thankfully feet have lots of nerves in them so I responded before it got squashed.

It's nearly 32 in the shade, am taking a chair up to sit in the shade under the apple tree, too warm for chores.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

How Brexit changed us http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/features/ ... p0.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

yahyah wrote:Have a great holiday How Silly.

Our wildlife visits have been nine bats in the house, including one in my husband's t shirt as he put it on, and a frog in my gardening clogs.

The frog nearly got squashed but thankfully feet have lots of nerves in them so I responded before it got squashed.

It's nearly 32 in the shade, am taking a chair up to sit in the shade under the apple tree, too warm for chores.
34° here in Normandy !

Richard Murphy's having a busy time with impassioned BTL debates ...

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will read HopenotHate later
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Trouble is it is 32C back home.........mind you I like Cornwall and it is nice being back in the UK, despite all that has happened
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Hello everyone from a very sunny Cornwall

Limited internet access as I am sure all our rural dwellers will already be aware of.....it is an important eye opener for us city livers,....

Not going to talk about Corbyn as it has all been said....getting a bit wearing now.

Tories, of course, still being incompetent and getting away with it as well.......imagine if David Davis had been a Labour politician speaking such ignorant nonsense about trade?

Glad to see AAW here recently...had a little falling out a couple of weeks ago and would like to pass on any apologies

Interesting question about Irish history...a thorny and emotive subject. I always tend to go back to the simple 'Brief Histories' to help work out where to look into for more in-depth research. With Ireland you have to even go back to the Normans to get a true feeling of what has gone on there...and it ain't pretty for us Brits!

Final point, I did suggest to my wife we recorded the presence of the big Red Admiral in the small bathroom of our accommodation (whilst she was on the loo) for the British butterfly survey. She didn't seem keen
I saw first butterfly today - a cabbage white. I think it came to check on buddleia which is not quite out yet and then flew off.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

yahyah wrote:
Maeght wrote:http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com

Similar to what's been going round my head. Thanks for the link Maeght.

The real problem seems to be that Labour cannot bring forward someone who combines the views members want and can work as an effective team leader.

Where are the big beasts ?
Indeed !
By these criteria, Corbyn’s critics* are abject failures. They failed to take feedback from their defeat to him last year. He didn’t win so crushingly because he’s a political genius – he spent 32 years in parliament without ever being hailed as such – but because his opponents (except perhaps for Liz Kendall) were offering little but vacuous marketing-speak. Corbyn’s critics should have learned from this that they need to develop some kind of inspiring vision of centre-left principles and policy. With precious few exceptions, though, this is still lacking. Corbyn's opponents seem not to have learned that they are not entitled to run the party, but must earn the right to do so.

Now, I don’t say this to defend Corbyn. His inability to placate fractious MPs and his downright bizarre decision to attend a Cuba Solidarity meeting when there were far more important things to do suggest he isn’t up to the job. In this context, though, the failure of his critics to understand what leadership means is simply tragic.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... les-police" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wheelchair 'street racer' in Barcelona baffles police
Video appears to show man speeding along busy main road in Catalan city but officers say there is not much they can do