Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Re: Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th June 2016

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Sky just said 'the senior members of SC will be resigning today and the more junior ones tomorrow'

Made me laugh out loud....
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Alice in Wonderland anyone?

Pete Bowyer
‏@CllrPeteBowyer
Told by source close to @jonlansman that @PeoplesMomentum to cut @jeremycorbyn loose in favour of unifier @johnmcdonnellMP. Statement soon.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Things change after a certain age don't they OhSo ?

When you are young and fit you think 'Oh, I'll get a second job to help pay the bills', or 'well, if we end on a park bench we'll manage somehow'. When those options wane, things feel very unsettled.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Bob has a song for all situations, I feel this one suits our times
Only A Pawn In Their Game
http://bobdylan.com/songs/only-pawn-their-game/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And this spreading out the resignations. Childish posturing.

If they were mine, I'd have sunk my toe up their arses long ago. I have nil patience with hypocrisy and having to suffer fools.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Rebecca wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Will Corbyn lead Labour taking the UK out of the EU?

Meaning?
I wondered if anyone has read or heard anything more recent from Corbyn regarding his plans as Labour leader following the EU referendum outcome. The last I read was his statement linked below.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status ... 8454725632
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Mark Urban (@MarkUrban01)
June 26, 2016
Today's statements in EU27: they're not offering new deal to UK,but urging more time in hope Brit political earthquake causes Brexit rethink
Nobody (serious)* wants this to happen, so why is it?

*apologies in advance to anyone offended. am attempting to remain civil but don't entirely feel it.
Anybody who thinks Brexit is not going to happen is deluding themselves, in my view.
It doesn't make any sense to do it, so why do it? The referendum was stupid and advisory. Scotland will secede. Mature leadership could and should avert all of this. The country is divided and nasty anyway - pulling out of the EU won't change that.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote: Nobody (serious)* wants this to happen, so why is it?

*apologies in advance to anyone offended. am attempting to remain civil but don't entirely feel it.
Anybody who thinks Brexit is not going to happen is deluding themselves, in my view.
It doesn't make any sense to do it, so why do it? The referendum was stupid and advisory. Scotland will secede. Mature leadership could and should avert all of this. The country is divided and nasty anyway - pulling out of the EU won't change that.
Agreed.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Leave campaign hq or possibly Labour PLP (delete as applicable) [youtube]sRJby3PCfbo[/youtube]
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Rowena Mason thinks Labour MPs are going to indulge in industrial action against the leadership.
Non co-operation, no support at PMQs to make Corbyn resign.

I despair.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I'm pretty sure that if the referendum was rerun tomorrow then Remain would scrape through but to actually rerun is pretty much an impossibility and any attempt to ignore the result will not go down well at all with the electorate
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Willow904 wrote: I can see that Labour has lost so much support, and is on the verge of losing so much more, that it really doesn't matter any more. I am so angry about the mess the Tories have made with this referendum. Tristram Hunt channelled that anger on Newsnight the other night, he took the words out of my mouth when the leave guy was back tracking on the 350m for the NHS and he said " but I saw it on a bus!". He was articulating what I felt in a way Jeremy Corbyn never has at any point if his leadership. Corbyn's response to the leave vote has confirmed for me that he doesn't share my perspective and he can't adequately represent me. I would vote for a party with Tristram Hunt and Vince Cable in it and you clearly wouldn't, so it seems to me that if you won't stretch to meet me, you must understand why I'm finding it so hard to stretch to meet you. And the "broad church" is no more.
As no doubt you will eventually discover, young master Tristram will say whatever suits the moment.
He doesn't want the UK broken up and out of the EU. He'd have raised more hell about Corbyn than he's done the last ten months if he were merely a brat.
A brat, no.

An opportunistic, calculating pursuer of whatever is in Tristram's best interests on the other hand...
I'm getting tired of calming down....
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

yahyah wrote:Rowena Mason thinks Labour MPs are going to indulge in industrial action against the leadership.

I despair.

children
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Rowena Mason thinks Labour MPs are going to indulge in industrial action against the leadership.

I despair.

children
My thoughts exactly. Toys out of pram time.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Robert Harris has just re-joined.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

This should never have gone to a referendum and it shouldn't go to another one. We should just not do it.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Rebecca wrote:
Temulkar wrote:The get rid of Corbyn plan with no idea of what next is a mirror of the get out of europe with no idea of what comes next and really indicative of the failure of our political class. The naked emperor at the heart of our politics is really being exposed.

I saw the look in Stephen Kinock's eyes earlier as the kid from momentum destroyed his arguments, a look of naked ambition for himself, just as potential Tata buyers in Port Talbot are pulling out cos of the instability in our politics. A better example of the failure of our establishment that that red prince degenerate scion of greed and avarice, I cannot imagine.
'red prince degenerate scion of greed and avarice'?

i hope that line is from one of your books!
Partly ripped off fron Oscar Wilde, so.... his genius not mine.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Things change after a certain age don't they OhSo ?

When you are young and fit you think 'Oh, I'll get a second job to help pay the bills', or 'well, if we end on a park bench we'll manage somehow'. When those options wane, things feel very unsettled.
Yes. When you're young uncertainty is adventure, choices.

Being physically unable to do the things you once did restricts choices and your world shrinks. You become far more dependent on others. On their decisions.
Ironically when you're trying to arrange your life so you don't become a burden or dependent on others, you still are. The win, win option is gone.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:This should never have gone to a referendum and it shouldn't go to another one. We should just not do it.
Agree. I can't help feeling it'll be even more dangerous than the first one.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Well done Labour.

OhSo's feeling like never voting again.
I am thinking of voting Lib Dem if they stand on an anti-Brexit ticket at a snap election, despite a lifetime of not agreeing with people who vote for one issue only, and having voted Labour at every general election of my voting life.
My husband, who's voted Labour since his first vote, shocked me today by saying he will no longer be almost automatically thinking of voting Labour in the future.
He's been less than impressed with some of the lack of enthusiasm by Corbyn during the referendum campaign, not to mention the 'moderates' stirring the pot and creating anti-Labour headlines.

But, never mind, Robert Harris is back, and he is worth more in donations than us.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tom Watson is "deeply saddened" about the sacking of Hilary Benn. (BBC News)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Anyone spotted Osborne yet?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

He hasn't died. He's resigned., sorry been sacked.
It's all getting a bit hazy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Labour in crisis: shadow ministers resign in protest against Corbyn
Overnight dismissal of shadow foreign secretary Hilary Benn followed by resignations of eight other high-profile Labour MPs

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It shouldn't be like this. Stay together. If it's best for country, people and Labour for Corbyn to go, it should have come from Corbyn
himself to announce he'd leave. I've confidence in Corbyn to act in the best interests of country, people and Labour. I could be
wrong. Regardless, to have this upheaval now in the Labour party when the country requires responsible action is awful.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tom Watson also said that he was generally saddened about the whole situation (I paraphrase). I can't help thinking that he's playing both ends against the middle here.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:Anybody who thinks Brexit is not going to happen is deluding themselves, in my view.
Agreed.
Agree too. And sorry, but I have one of my uneasy feelings still ...

Who could have thought that less than two weeks ago a politician would be murdered [and look how quickly that's dropped from sight] That four days ago the UK would commit political suicide, three days ago we had a PM, and two days ago we at least had an opposition.

How much worse can it get? Pluck some fantasy scenario out of thin air and it'll probably turn into reality by next weekend.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan wrote:Anyone spotted Osborne yet?

Some wicked folk have linked Natalie Rowe being evicted from the Big Brother House as being connected with his disappearance.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PorFavor wrote:
Temulkar wrote:The get rid of Corbyn plan with no idea of what next is a mirror of the get out of europe with no idea of what comes next
Must admit that that thought crossed my mind, too. I'm hoping something more concrete emerges fairly swiftly.
I wouldn't expect it now. The successor wants to "emerge".

Carwyn Jones is closer to Port Talbot than most. Wants Corbyn gone.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
How much worse can it get? Pluck some fantasy scenario out of thin air and it'll probably turn into reality by next weekend.
Scotland will leave and the "English" will be reviled, not to mention ridiculed, the world over.
We are a joke.
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sun 26 Jun, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Well done Labour.

I am thinking of voting Lib Dem if they stand on an anti-Brexit ticket at a snap election, despite a lifetime of not agreeing with people who vote for one issue only, and having voted Labour at every general election of my voting life.
My husband, who's voted Labour since his first vote, shocked me today by saying he will no longer be almost automatically thinking of voting Labour in the future.
He's been less than impressed with some of the lack of enthusiasm by Corbyn during the referendum campaign, not to mention the 'moderates' stirring the pot and creating anti-Labour headlines.

But, never mind, Robert Harris is back, and he is worth more in donations than us.
Sorry, but Robert who? Genuinely doesn't ring a bell, but I'm sure the country will be eternally grateful for his support for a bunch of rebels.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Anyone spotted Osborne yet?

Some wicked folk have linked Natalie Rowe being evicted from the Big Brother House as being connected with his disappearance.
A few days ago, Ephie said he was actually at a finance meeting in the EU. There's been so much happening but once upon a time, if there was a crisis and a senior minister was abroad, reporters would travel to wherever they were to interview them and get their opinion.

And they haven't ... Which is weird.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

ohsocynical wrote:

Sorry, but Robert who? Genuinely doesn't ring a bell, but I'm sure the country will be eternally grateful for his support for a bunch of rebels.
The author, Enigma, and the one about what if Hitler had won. Bit of a Blairite apparently.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

From one of Murdoch's US papers.
I know I've got an over active imagination, but to me, it has fascistic overtones
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

You know I think the plotters have blown it, Ive been watching them and they honestly thought that they could force him to resign, this isnt about another contest, they know they would lose it; they don't have the numbers, watson and burnham have come out behind corbyn, and now the unions and the NEC. If they really try to go ahead with sabotaging PMQs, then the I think the NEC will change the rules around deselection.

They dont have the numbers in the PLP or the party, Im more and more convinced that this is about chilcott than ever.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

& Harris wrote The Ghost, about a Blair-like PM.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Be assured Ohso won't vote again.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Call me mad, but for any with leadership ambitions it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to join the SC, if asked ;) Raise their profile, don't come across as disloyal when it comes to their appeal to the CLP in any future leadership elections.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:& Harris wrote The Ghost, about a Blair-like PM.
Right. Oh well, just because he can write, doesn't mean his intelligence is up to much.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I've just had an email from Momentum and it calls for support for Corbyn.
I thought we were told earlier Momentum are plotting to oust Jez for McDonnell ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hobiejoe wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

The author, Enigma, and the one about what if Hitler had won. Bit of a Blairite apparently.
I never know quite what to make of him politically.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Temulkar wrote:You know I think the plotters have blown it, Ive been watching them and they honestly thought that they could force him to resign, this isnt about another contest, they know they would lose it; they don't have the numbers, watson and burnham have come out behind corbyn, and now the unions and the NEC. If they really try to go ahead with sabotaging PMQs, then the I think the NEC will change the rules around deselection.

They dont have the numbers in the PLP or the party, Im more and more convinced that this is about chilcott than ever.
Hadn't thought of that but it is weird behaviour even for politicians ... I don't think I've ever seen the like.

If you're correct, I wonder what boy wonder thought it up?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 04351.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
more jobs going
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 04191.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
great how we've gone back to the 80s.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Falconer gone now

Getting a bit boring now...and the football is on so not many people will notice

Tomorrow the focus is going to be on Market Crash Day 2 and the focus back on what we need to be doing to stop implosion

If they don't get Corbyn today then I think events are going to dominate the headlines.....

The vacuum at the centre of Government cannot last much longer and Farage will be on full rant mode

Tuesday sees Cameron getting his arse handed to him by the EU-27
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Things are going from bad to worse -ohsocynical has taken to referring to herself in the third person!

Charles Falconer has resigned (BBC News)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
Hobiejoe wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Sorry, but Robert who? Genuinely doesn't ring a bell, but I'm sure the country will be eternally grateful for his support for a bunch of rebels.
I never know quite what to make of him politically.
Remember now I've read a couple of his books ... More proof of how bad I am at names.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@howsillyofme1

Whoops!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Angela Merkel ‏@Queen_Europe 4h4 hours ago

BREXIT DAY 3. No PM. No opposition. Banks preparing to leave. UK being governed via a column in the Daily Telegraph.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... t-11527828" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Liverpool stays (same day as London stays)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Has anyone read Philip Roth's The Plot Against America ?

The Murdoch front cover puts me in mind of that. The gradual move to fascism, cheer led by the great and the good. It's a literary version of a 'what if'. FD Roosevelt loses the presidency to a right wing puppet candidate Charles Lindbergh.

Well worth reading, but maybe a bit too close to home with Farage here, and Trump in the US.