Wednesday 10th.August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Wednesday 10th.August 2016

Post by ephemerid »

Good morning!

Michael Phelps - 21 Olympic gold medals. That's an astonishing achievement.

There was an interesting, if brief, discussion about his struggles with alcohol on the BBC during the commentary yesterday - Mark Foster said that high-level sport is quite an addictive thing, and when top athletes retire, they are prone to replacing their obsession for their sport with another addictive behaviour.
Research in Australia suggests he's right. Ian Thorpe went through a similar thing when he retired from competition; in his case, the drugs of choice were prescription medicines. There have been many examples of this in other sports too; it's not just about "gym junkies" and endorphin highs, but also changes in routine and behaviours.

The lovely Sonny Bill Williams has an Achilles tendon injury and will be out for 9 months; I hope he makes a full recovery. He said - "Down but never out; always praise to the most high for blessing me with so much".
There's a lot going on today - Katherine Grainger is going for another gold; Chris Froome ditto in the time trials; we have a chance in the mens' 3m synchro diving; so I'll be glued to the telly later.

I am becoming very irritated with commentators prodigious use of the word "medal" as a verb. People are, apparently. "medalling".
Drove me bananas in 2012 and ditto now.....

I am writing this in the fervent hope that we can have just one day when we talk about something that isn't bloody Labour.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 10th.August 2016

Post by yahyah »

Morning Ephie.

May I mention Labour in a positive light ? Well Welsh Labour that is.
We're fortunate to have Carwyn at the helm, and a party here that aren't tearing themselves apart at the Assembly.

Carwyn's setting up an advisory group to help ensure Wales gets the best deal it can from the Brexit negotiations. Brexit voters will be unhappy as it will compromise experts with an understanding of EU procedures, as well as politicians and business representatives.

Plaid and Labour have also announced a liaison committee to look at the implications of Brexit.
Plenty of opportunities there for Wood to self publicise.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... h-11723140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Will Synchronised Partner be making a return? I did like his last performance even if I didn't see any of it.

PS. Is the diving pool still the colour of a green bottle?
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Maybe they tiled the pool in yellow ?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

It was actually quite a lovely contrast with the blue of the pool next to it.

Personally, I find practically everything commentators say beyond the names of the people competing annoying. Especially when the topic they're talking about is British athletes while another country's is on screen and I'd like to know who they are, not how exhilarated/upset/deflated/despondent/overjoyed random British person who finished their round several minutes ago is now feeling...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

That warmer pool allows microbial growth according to Radio 4.
Quite harmless apparently even if it looks like the water spinach was cooked in.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good morning all

I guess the pH of the pool may have been slightly out of kilter gioving it the green colour.....not sure why everyone is obsessing about it though!

Will follow the 'Ephie Rule' today unles, as yahyah did, there is a good story to tell

Shame Burnham will probably end up leaving the SC - he is a good guy and I am not quite sure where this SuperMayor thuing is going

Just a question....anyone know what is happening regading Brexit? No wonder they haven't invoked A50 because it seems there is little of anything going on at the moment in terms of concrete positioning etc. Is it the duck paddling unseen or are we in the midst of massive denial from the Government?

I know Brexit is still an emotive subject but it is an interesting one to discuss.....I would hope it does not descend into being about the leadership and the campaign again....but rather a discussion around what the future will hold

My position, and I am happy to debate it, is that we are going to Brexit and the Government needs to really start thinking strategically for how we deal with the fallout.....one good start would be putting some capable ministers in place to manage the negotiations with the Council and the Commission.

The idea of putting the Brexit lot in these roles may seem tempting from a 'you broke it, now you fix it' point of view but we need to have a credible team in place and this is not what we have. The EU is going to play hardball and we need some people who less emotively attached to the subject

By the way I hope to see RR2 back soon and we can hear some other views on this particular subject
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just seen that the Duke of Westminster, third richest billionaire in Britain has died.
He was second cousin twice removed to Hugh 'Bendor' Grovsvenor*, a previous Duke of Westminster.

Am currently reading a book about Coco Chanel's collaboration with the Nazis.
Bendor was, like her, a notorious anti-semite and right winger.

During the years that millions were unemployed, or later losing their lives in the holocaust his views encouraged, he was showering his immense wealth on his lovers in the form of fabulous jewels and gifts of expensive real estate.

*correct spelling, even though it looks wrong.
Last edited by yahyah on Wed 10 Aug, 2016 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Duck paddling? More like headless chickens I think.

PS. Someone peed in the pool, didn't they. (People are worrying about it because it could be threatening to the athletes' health).
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

ephemerid wrote:Good morning!

Michael Phelps - 21 Olympic gold medals. That's an astonishing achievement.

There was an interesting, if brief, discussion about his struggles with alcohol on the BBC during the commentary yesterday - Mark Foster said that high-level sport is quite an addictive thing, and when top athletes retire, they are prone to replacing their obsession for their sport with another addictive behaviour.
Research in Australia suggests he's right. Ian Thorpe went through a similar thing when he retired from competition; in his case, the drugs of choice were prescription medicines. There have been many examples of this in other sports too; it's not just about "gym junkies" and endorphin highs, but also changes in routine and behaviours.

The lovely Sonny Bill Williams has an Achilles tendon injury and will be out for 9 months; I hope he makes a full recovery. He said - "Down but never out; always praise to the most high for blessing me with so much".
There's a lot going on today - Katherine Grainger is going for another gold; Chris Froome ditto in the time trials; we have a chance in the mens' 3m synchro diving; so I'll be glued to the telly later.

I am becoming very irritated with commentators prodigious use of the word "medal" as a verb. People are, apparently. "medalling".
Drove me bananas in 2012 and ditto now.....

I am writing this in the fervent hope that we can have just one day when we talk about something that isn't bloody Labour.
Good morning all, back from 2 weeks in Ireland (North & South) - as a bit of light relief from the ongoing Corbyn/Smith shitfest I'll post later on what the Protestant middle classes in Northern Ireland feel about Brexit & the ongoing relationship with Ireland.
Just wanted to congratulate Siobhan-Marie O'Connor, who was at school with my twins, on her silver.
Sorry to hear about Sonny Bill. The guy is a legend. Not only winner of World Cup in both Rugby Union & Rugby League, but also NZ heavyweight boxing champion
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

You must be psychic HowSilly.
Was thinking about RR this morning. She was often about early on in the morning.

Could do with some cheer up from someone with a positive take on Brexit, wonder how the dogs and Mr RR are, and whether her sweetpeas have perfomed as poorly as mine.

Good to see OhSo return too. It can be difficult when you get peer disapproval, or feel out of step with prevailing views.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Agree with that about Brexit too.

Not meaning to be provocative, but Harriet Harman is [rightly] criticised re the Welfare bill for [my paraphrasing] saying the Tories won a mandate for it so don't make waves in the House.
She gets flak for that.
Yet when it comes to leaving the EU, and not making a stand for a second referendum after negotiations, we are told that's because there was a mandate for leave so Labour should just help it along.

Am off now as have to go for more blood tests.
Will be driving for the first time since being unwell, on my own, a bit nerve racking as it is country roads with a lot of narrow stretches.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

yahyah wrote:*correct spelling, even though it looks wrong.
Many moons ago the Graun printed two letters from someone who had an atypical spelling of a very common surname. The first letter I forget but the second was to compliment the Graun on actually managing to get the spelling of that surname right while typesetting it for the first letter (miraculously, they managed it for the second too). This was followed by a third letter from someone also with an atypical surname, saying something along the lines of, 'Rather than spelling Mrs. X's surname correctly, can she be sure that the Grauniad didn't just misspell it incorrectly?'

Silly things that make me laugh.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

On the subject of the EU - this, from yesterday:
Norway may block UK return to European Free Trade Association

Norwegian politicians to meet UK’s Brexit minister amid concerns that allowing Britain to rejoin will shift balance of organisation (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ssociation

And I echo yahyah's thoughts on rebeccariots2.

@yahyah

Hope today's enterprise goes well for you.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

yahyah wrote:Agree with that about Brexit too.

Not meaning to be provocative, but Harriet Harman is [rightly] criticised re the Welfare bill for [my paraphrasing] saying the Tories won a mandate for it so don't make waves in the House.
She gets flak for that.
Yet when it comes to leaving the EU, and not making a stand for a second referendum after negotiations, we are told that's because there was a mandate for leave so Labour should just help it along.

Am off now as have to go for more blood tests.
Will be driving for the first time since being unwell, on my own, a bit nerve racking as it is country roads with a lot of narrow stretches.

I am not sure that it is a case of 'helping it along' - it is just how we respond to it.

There is the case of trying to look for an overturning of the result but I am at a loss to see how that can be achieved in reality.

In any case we have to prepare for Brexit as time will pass very quickly...2 months already and still no idea what is going to happen, even at a basic level.

All I have seen is an entrenching of opinions and all talk of a second referendum etc. will play into the hands of the ultras on the Brexit side.

We will be at the end of the year before we know it and there will then be real pressure to invoke A50 - I have said before I have no confidence that we will be any further forward thatn we were on June 24th in actually defining what we want, all we have done and will do is lose any friends we had in the EU
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Interesting that the NHS and education seem to be going through many of the same problems. It's also interesting that both have suffered from unnecessary structural reorganisations which fail to deal with the real issues.

Crisis-hit hospital trust may close Grantham A&E at night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-37026000
Hospital bosses could shut an accident and emergency department at night in order to combat a staffing crisis.

United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust said it is considering slashing opening hours at Grantham and District Hospital due to a severe shortage of doctors.

It said closing the Grantham A&E rather than the departments at Lincoln County Hospital or Pilgrim Hospital in Boston was the "safest option".

A spokesman for the trust said failing to act "may put patients at risk".

The Royal College for Emergency Medicine (RCEM) said news of the potential closure was "disappointing, yet unsurprising".
I blame that Andy Burnham...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Best I ever managed was fifth in the 100m freestyle in the Aberdeenshire School Championship of 1973 freestyle.Qualifying consisted of not drowning.That there were only five in it didn't stop my celebrations.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Joined-up government: Item 67,350. Or something.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After the (expected by all except the government) failure of the Troubled Families Programme, hordes of teenagers who would spend at last some of their summer break in youth clubs or whatever, will now be hanging around with not a lot to do.

Local government spending on youth services in England for 2010/11 was £1.2 Billion; thanks to cuts, by 2013/14 it was £712 Million (according to the article, those are the most recent figures).
That's a 40% fall - and as we're two years on from that, it's probably even less now. So clubs, adventure programmes, and so on, have gone in many places; leaving kids with nothing to occupy themselves with.

Obviously, if there is an increase in anti-social behaviour from young people over the summer it will be the fault of the councils. Cue outraged Tories, moaning about feral youth, while failing to understand that it is their policies which have caused the problem.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-net ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With supported housing in limbo, vulnerable people face homelessness
The government delay on reforms to supported housing funding means a miserable summer for tenants and difficult decisions for us providers
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://m.nottinghampost.com/rough-sleep ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rough sleeping in Nottingham reaches highest level in nearly 20 years
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/2016/08/oppres ... -protocol/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oppression and the rent arrears protocol
By Giles Peaker
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Best I ever managed was fifth in the 100m freestyle in the Aberdeenshire School Championship of 1973 freestyle.Qualifying consisted of not drowning.That there were only five in it didn't stop my celebrations.
Great stuff, A.

Not drowning is a not inconsiderable benefit whilst swimming, I find. I wasn't above my drowning moments.

I once won a county championship backstroke race. I was so thrilled that in my jubilation I bashed my head on the side of the pool.
I was knocked out for a few moments - luckily the water was cold enough to wake me up. ( :wall: ......literally)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ephemerid wrote:Joined-up government: Item 67,350. Or something.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After the (expected by all except the government) failure of the Troubled Families Programme, hordes of teenagers who would spend at last some of their summer break in youth clubs or whatever, will now be hanging around with not a lot to do.

Local government spending on youth services in England for 2010/11 was £1.2 Billion; thanks to cuts, by 2013/14 it was £712 Million (according to the article, those are the most recent figures).
That's a 40% fall - and as we're two years on from that, it's probably even less now. So clubs, adventure programmes, and so on, have gone in many places; leaving kids with nothing to occupy themselves with.

Obviously, if there is an increase in anti-social behaviour from young people over the summer it will be the fault of the councils. Cue outraged Tories, moaning about feral youth, while failing to understand that it is their policies which have caused the problem.
Couple of big teenager 'clubs' around these parts, one being constructed, one next to a site that was notorious for huge gatherings that'd have what's deemed antisocial behaviour. The latter appears to be a big success. Carrots are more popular than sticks. And cheaper too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Just seen that the Duke of Westminster, third richest billionaire in Britain has died.
He was second cousin twice removed to Hugh 'Bendor' Grovsvenor*, a previous Duke of Westminster.

Am currently reading a book about Coco Chanel's collaboration with the Nazis.
Bendor was, like her, a notorious anti-semite and right winger.

During the years that millions were unemployed, or later losing their lives in the holocaust his views encouraged, he was showering his immense wealth on his lovers in the form of fabulous jewels and gifts of expensive real estate.

*correct spelling, even though it looks wrong.

I see that the Guardian is spelling it thus -

"Grosvenor". I can't do with being confused this early in the day.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ephemerid wrote: I am writing this in the fervent hope that we can have just one day when we talk about something that isn't bloody Labour.
Amen to that.

I have no issue with anyone posting here but steering the conversation towards the Labour leadership every single day is simply tiresome.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My brother had the habit of going to the bottom of the pool and acting dead with a contorted look on his face,he could hold his breath for what seemed ages.Of course by the time I had raised the alarm he had resurfaced.pretending all innocence.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ephemerid wrote: I am writing this in the fervent hope that we can have just one day when we talk about something that isn't bloody Labour.
Amen to that.

I have no issue with anyone posting here but steering the conversation towards the Labour leadership every single day is simply tiresome.
"Humperdinck, Humperdinck, Humperdinck!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Dr.Phil Hammond

#"The most popular chant in my NHS revolution:'5 days' staff won't stretch to seven, **** off Hunt & bring back Bevan'
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Hospital A&E wards 'in crisis over shortage of emergency doctors'

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... cy-doctors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What we need is more involvement of the private sector. They're more efficient and effective. Come on Hunt, lead the way :roll:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

In case anyone missed this gem of an idea last night...

Scrap 11-plus for new grammar schools, Tory group backed by cabinet ministers says

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... -by-cabin/
In a letter to Mrs May and Mrs Greening, Don Porter, the co-founder of Conservative Voice, backed the move and outlined a plan for implementing the change.

“Not everything about the previous system of grammar schools was desirable. For example, we believe that the testing of a child only at the age of eleven was far too restrictive,” he said.

“In future, we recommend continual testing to enable children who develop at a later stage to benefit from a grammar school education.”

Speaking to The Telegraph, Mr Porter elaborated on his concerns about the 11-plus. "It is a one-off. Not everybody is ready to determine whether they are right for grammar school level at 11,” he said.

“Why can’t we open it up at 12, 13, 14, 15 and have this continual opportunity for people to have another go at getting in?”
So a school that does well for its pupils seems them slowly drifting away to the local grammar school (which appears to have an infinite number of places available in each year) and ends up with half empty classes?

Imagine what that would do for a school's finances given that it's based largely on pupil numbers.

:roll:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Jess Phillips MP
Aug 8
Jess Phillips MP ‏@jessphillips
I dont want to fight for my survival or the survival of Labour anymore, I'm just going to fight for the survival of my constituents
Joe O'Keeffe
51m
Joe O'Keeffe ‏@Keeffe_joe
@jessphillips Are you happy to fight for all of your constituents or just those who support your anti-Corbyn stance?
Jess Phillips MP
48m
@Keeffe_joe funnily enough I don't voter ID people who come through door. I imagine many don't vote Labour or at all. I don't care
Joe O'Keeffe
42m
Joe O'Keeffe ‏@Keeffe_joe
@jessphillips Your non prejudicial attitude to constituents has to be applauded. Your prejudice towards Corbyn has done you no favours
Jess Phillips MP
39m
@Keeffe_joe it's not prejudice it's experience. Dont understand why I'm not entitled to an opinion.
Joe O'Keeffe
Joe O'Keeffe – ‏@Keeffe_joe

@jessphillips No one is saying you can't have an opinion. Publicly airing those opinions are not always in the best interests of party unity
1:22 am - 10 Aug 2016

That's the nail on the head for me.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

A nice summary of how 'socialism' isn't obvious.

http://newpolitics.apps-1and1.net/on-je ... -socialism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Finding it harder to predict Liverpool-Anderson,Rotherham,Berger.
Rotherham by a nose,or Anderson by a nose.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

And this on Brexit is superb

https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.c ... s-serious/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Labour mention ,different context get out clause.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:Finding it harder to predict Liverpool-Anderson,Rotherham,Berger.
George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 6m6 minutes ago

Steve Rotherham, Corbyn's PPS, wins Liverpool mayoral nomination against Joe Anderson and Luciana Berger.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Labour mention ,different context get out clause.
:lol!:

It's not really working for you, is it?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Rotherham won,I didn't know that before previous posting,honest.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Rotherham,former mayor and popular local MP,more apt.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:And this on Brexit is superb

https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.c ... s-serious/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes it is good. In my dim and distant past I understood all about customs clearances and checks on non-EU exports.

Wonder if the Brexit department has seconded people from HMRC who are now telling ministers exactly this kind of thing?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Morning, Stephen.

Breaking News!!!!!!! Exclusive!!!!!!

"Jess Phillips has revelation! The Daily Bleat can reveal Jess has finally understood that her job is to represent her constituents!
Wearing a matelot-striped top and blood-red lipstick, she told our reporter that her new mission is to be quiet and get on with the job".

"A tearful Jess, aged 34, sobbed as she said goodbye to her usual routine of having photographs taken of her home and showing them to the world to illustrate how important privacy and security is to people like her who are attacked, daily, by feral trotrabbledogs - but she is adamant that she must concentrate on her 106,738 constituents, without prejudice, who desperately need her help".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 2016-guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guidance
Parental responsibility measures attendance census 2016: guide
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... -blindness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This article about an initiative made by some Hackney bakers and two doctors cheered me up and it even has an Olympics link: the Kenyan baker is going to Rio, invited by Gastromotiva, a community based organisation.

I think it's a good example of a bottom-up enterprise.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RobertSnozers wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
HindleA wrote:Finding it harder to predict Liverpool-Anderson,Rotherham,Berger.
George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 6m6 minutes ago

Steve Rotherham, Corbyn's PPS, wins Liverpool mayoral nomination against Joe Anderson and Luciana Berger.
It's a shame to lose Rotheram from parliament but I'm delighted the godawful Anderson didn't get the nod.
Agreed.

'Steve Rotheram wins Labour nomination for city region metro mayor with 2029 votes compared to Joe Anderson's 1641 & 1202 For Luciana Berger'

JA was getting more and more marmite. Only 439 ahead of Berger? Wow. I'm also surprised on the number of eligible voters across such a large populace.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... d-11728894" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Three Southport Hospital bosses suspended for a year will finally face disciplinary action
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Re the EUref, I read a few articles correlating voting leave with the personality trait, 'openness to experience', ie. less openness, more likely to vote leave.

It led me to wonder, if that was true, and if young people were more likely to vote remain than older ones, there are 2 possibilities.

1. Younger people today are different from previous generations because of their different experiences, most likely due to the internet, or

2. We really do turn into our parents, and 'openness to experience' declines with age.

If the first of these is true, then opposing Brexit has some moral force, imo. By the time we've achieved it, those young people who voted against it will be 35-50 years old and even more pissed off than they are now.

If the NHS reorganisation was 'so big you could see it from space', how big is the reorganisation of our legal framework to extract us from the EU? What a waste of time and effort it will be, even if May doesn't, in the end, press the trigger.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

More on scrapping supervised job search

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

SpinningHugo wrote:And this on Brexit is superb

This bit:

'Brexit, he concluded, will have to be prioritised with consequences for all other major government projects. In short, without a significant increase in the size of the civil service, just about everything else will have to be scrapped.

With no clear objectives, an incalculable number of dependencies, unfathomable sequencing, timescales impossible even to guesstimate and depleted resources, any project planner might be forgiven for throwing in the towel. Some sort of plan will emerge eventually but, at the moment, just making one for the project’s first phase, defining what the hell it is we want, is going to be difficult enough.

So spare me the pseudo psychology and the David Brent-isms. Trite phrases like ‘move on’, ‘be positive’, ‘just do it’ and ‘we are where we are’ reflect a failure to understand the magnitude of the Brexit task. There’s no ‘just’ about any of this. It is a colossal and eye-wateringly complex task. It will take years and will dominate UK politics for the rest of the decade.'

It's not just what to do - but how is it possible.

edit - 2nd 'it's' to but.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

:roll:

I notice that Craig Oliver (ex lefty-BBC) got his knighthood and even the useless Julian Glover (ex lefty-Guardian) got a gong!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Freedomofthepress wrote:
"ephemerid"
Breaking News!!!!!!! Exclusive!!!!!!
"Jess Phillips has revelation! The Daily Bleat can reveal Jess has finally understood that her job is to represent her constituents!
Wearing a matelot-striped top and blood-red lipstick, she told our reporter that her new mission is to be quiet and get on with the job".
Gee, where does she get off?
She is moaning on her Twitter feed:
Hoping when all mayoral candidates are announced they will not all be men. I wish leadership had done something to encourage Women to run
And there was me under the impression that Luciana Berger, Labour MP had also been in the running for Liverpool Major. Luciana Berger is a woman, or am I now mistaken that she is a man??

and now that the results have been announced, she is writing"
All the mayors can go on an actual man date now. We can serve the tea
How utterly boring.

But but but.......she's a feminist!

This is how I know - she employs her husband to run her office. She has her very own tea-person, and hopefully he will be serving up the fondant fancies to her needy constituents now that she's decided to do some work for them.

I'm not hopeful, FOTP. She just doesn't seem ready yet to give up her Twittering, does she? Absolute abstention is the only thing that works. That, or stabbing people in the front. That shuts 'em up.