Thursday 11th August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Thursday 11th August 2016

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

This is for Ephie :lol: from yesterday's Telegraph.
Not that I'm suggesting you only watch the swimming for the budgie smugglers.

Have just used the settings on the site's friends and foes function, please feel free to add me to the latter.
Life's too short to waste time on useless interactions, and there are lots of lovely peeps here, of all views, to learn from, laugh, and cry with.
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 11 Aug, 2016 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 11th August 2016

Post by yahyah »

And some [maybe] better news for steel in Wales:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... m-11732852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

So, last night, I calculated that it would take me a mere 20,000,000 years to become a Duke of Westminster should I maintain my lifetime's rate of saving so far.

Turns out that it'll take the Duke of Westminster even longer than that to pay as much inheritance tax as will come from my estate once I pop my clogs...

I'm sure this is entirely fair and just and not at all an example of the rich and powerful completely taking the piss out of we plebs.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PS. If I lower my sights a little, it'll only take me 11,000 years to become a 21st birthday party for a Duke of Westminster. Woohoo!
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I wonder what the reaction to this shall be, Nuclear espionage charge for China firm with one-third stake in UK's Hinkley Point (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... kley-point).

'And who says it's the taking part that counts? It's the glory and roar of the crowd. Absolutely no-one could touch me in my last swimming race... They'd all left the pool as I floundered and struggled to complete the second length.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I've got to the point where I cover my ears and go la la la, when anything is reported on Radio 4 about the appalling interest rates.
Back when we had a big mortgage we nearly got bankrupted by high interest rates, now we have savings we're being made to suffer.
Born at the wrong time.
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 11 Aug, 2016 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Yeah, yahyah. I remember my mortgage rate going up to 18%. I don't know what the standard rate was because i was self-employed. I still find it strange though, having to pay more than my staff taking on their mortgages while working for the same company.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Morning all

The problem at the moment with the Brexit economy impact is that all the Lead measures look awful but it will take time to feed through to 'lag' such as unemployment, inflation etc etc - possibly too late to do anything about the cause. This is one reason I am pessimistic about there being a backtracking from the people who vioted Leave

Many people, with a microeconomic 'household finance' view of the economy probably see a benefit in ultra-low interest rates - especially homeowners and will decide accordingly

I am not at all confident that the most people will be any more aboe to see the coming problems, any more that they were able to see why austerity was such a problem

The understandable rationalisation of national finance by regard to household management is something that will be difficult to counter

Not going to mention specific recent issues on the forum- I do not think it helps going over old ground. All I would add isi that there is more that unites us than divides us. The people on this board are intelligent, thoughtful and interesting, especially when compared to elsewhere. I am trying, myself, not to react and also less provocative than I would naturally want to be over the next few weeks. I think we owe it to our board admins to try to get the board back on track - they perform a sterling job and allow us to have this forum available....we should show some respect to them by taking a breath and rebooting
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

&...on the Duke of Westminster.
Have reached page 97 of 'Sleeping with the Enemy' about Coco Chanel and her pre war and wartime activities and penchant for affairs with right wing anti-semites, homophobes and Nazi spies.

One of her lovers, 'Bendor' Grosvenor, the Duke of Westminster at the time, was pro-German, hated homosexuals and was also a close friend of Winston Churchill. As was Coco Chanel.
Jean Cocteau wrote about Churchill's visits to the Paris Ritz, where Winnie got drunk and cried in Chanel's arms.
Randolph Churchill was also a pal.

The book has several pics of her with Churchill, one with Chanel and Bendor Grosvenor in his company at Eaton Hall.
Another shows her with Churchill & Randolph at a hunt at Eaton Hall.

My point...there is one...is that the book, which uses papers from the state archives of various countries, and counter intelligence reports, says that historians claim that Churchill intervened to stop Chanel being tried for collaborating with the Nazis.

Chanel was a fan of, and friend of a close relative of Pierre Laval, the person who overrode Eichmann's decision not to deport French Jewish children under 16 years old.
He said he had no concern for them, and condemned those poor youngsters to awful experiences and death.

So what was Churchill doing associating with, and if true, protecting such a woman ?
At the rate I'm going it'll take a week or two to get to the evidence in the chapter dealing with that period as I am so tired when reading it in bed.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

utopiandreams wrote:Yeah, yahyah. I remember my mortgage rate going up to 18%. I don't know what the standard rate was because i was self-employed. I still find it strange though, having to pay more than my staff taking on their mortgages while working for the same company.
We had an ordinary mortgage and think it reached 15%, certainly 12% at one point, and hovered not much less than 10 or 8 for a while.

I call those years the Tory nightmare.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Crest Academy, an E-Act sponsored outfit, ruins kids chances of university by teaching the wrong standard.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ment-error" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Standards, and all that.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

yahyah - thank you for the cartoon.

Chanel was a strange woman. But she made fabulous clothes.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Further to my meme of the day... The DoW can lose 99.9% of his alleged wealth and still be a multi-millionaire. Me, I couldn't even afford a few hundred boxes of millionaires.

Someone on the national not-living wage (and let's be very generous by rounding it up to £10/hr) would take nearly 155,000 years to become a Duke of Westminster. And that's assuming they work 16 hours a day for almost every day of that period (also without eating and by being homeless)

"Broken Britain" someone once said. How right he was for all the wrong reasons.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

55DegreesNorth wrote:Crest Academy, an E-Act sponsored outfit, ruins kids chances of university by teaching the wrong standard.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ment-error" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Standards, and all that.
"I think we've had enough of standards, don't you?"

I'm sure the person responsible will be named and shamed in the press... at about the same time as I become a DoW.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

<coughs> there's some new polling about he who cannot be mentioned.

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also YouGov give Labour a welcome boost with a Tory lead of only 7 points.
Much better than last week. The change from a 14 point lead is Tories dropping 4 and Labour gaining 3 points.
But polls are not worth getting excited about.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Pre double post of same information.
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 11 Aug, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:...worsening the housing cruises
Just can't ship 'em out fast enough.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Sorry if we've already had this - I haven't yet checked the post-bed watershed posts.
Right-to-buy reform urged as council leaders fear for social housing

Figures show that replacements for homes sold under the right-to-buy scheme fell by 27% last year, worsening the housing crisis (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... cil-leader
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Whoops!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw

Right-to-buy reform urged as council leaders fear for social housing
Figures show that replacements for homes sold under the right-to-buy scheme fell by 27% last year, worsening the housing cruises

Housing cruises, eh? Bloody scroungers. Getting free homes and going on cruises with their flat-screen tellies and smartphones.

It's a good article - and exactly what some of us have been saying for, er, years.....

2 million homes sold since the policy was introduced by Thatcher.
40% of those - 800,000 homes - are BTL properties now, and I would imagine a significant number of people renting them are in receipt of HB/LHA, especially if they are in London.

The new discounts are ridiculous - more than £100,000 in London - and the council can only keep a thrd of th cash raised from an already heavily discounted price. No wonder they can't afford to rebuild.

It's a mess.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/c ... ebsite.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YouGov also asked about what are the most important issues facing the country, which party will deal with them best.

On Brexit:

Q. In hindsight do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the EU ?
Right to leave 45% (-1) Wrong to leave 44% (+2)

Q. Do you think Britain will be economically better or worse off after we leave the EU, or will it make no difference ?
Better off 26% (-3) Worse off 40% (+2) No difference 20% (-)

Q. Do you think leaving the Eu will have a good or bad influence on British jobs or will it make no difference ?
Good for jobs 23% (-1) Bad for jobs 36% (+1) No difference 26% (-)

Q. Do you think Britain leaving the EU will have a good or bad effect on peoples' pensions or will it make no difference ?
Good for pensions 9% (+1) Bad for pensions 31% (+1) No difference 35% (-1)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

55DegreesNorth wrote:Crest Academy, an E-Act sponsored outfit, ruins kids chances of university by teaching the wrong standard.
Standards, and all that.
Inadequate since June 2013 - serious weaknesses at the time and then into special measures in early 2015.

And yet not a sign of them being removed from E Act and given to another sponsor to run. Funny that...

Even odder was that they lost 10 schools in 2014...but obviously not those.

:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

yahyah wrote:&...on the Duke of Westminster.
Have reached page 97 of 'Sleeping with the Enemy' about Coco Chanel and her pre war and wartime activities and penchant for affairs with right wing anti-semites, homophobes and Nazi spies.

One of her lovers, 'Bendor' Grosvenor, the Duke of Westminster at the time, was pro-German, hated homosexuals and was also a close friend of Winston Churchill. As was Coco Chanel.
Jean Cocteau wrote about Churchill's visits to the Paris Ritz, where Winnie got drunk and cried in Chanel's arms.
Randolph Churchill was also a pal.

The book has several pics of her with Churchill, one with Chanel and Bendor Grosvenor in his company at Eaton Hall.
Another shows her with Churchill & Randolph at a hunt at Eaton Hall.

My point...there is one...is that the book, which uses papers from the state archives of various countries, and counter intelligence reports, says that historians claim that Churchill intervened to stop Chanel being tried for collaborating with the Nazis.

Chanel was a fan of, and friend of a close relative of Pierre Laval, the person who overrode Eichmann's decision not to deport French Jewish children under 16 years old.
He said he had no concern for them, and condemned those poor youngsters to awful experiences and death.

So what was Churchill doing associating with, and if true, protecting such a woman ?
At the rate I'm going it'll take a week or two to get to the evidence in the chapter dealing with that period as I am so tired when reading it in bed.
Well it says on wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_Chanel
The extent of Churchill's intervention for Chanel after the war became a subject of gossip and speculation. Some historians claimed that people worried that....
But suspect that might spoil your enjoyment of the book. ;)
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

oh no....need to hide

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... er-holiday" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

You rotter tinyb. I'd never have guessed the ending :lol:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/c ... ebsite.pdf

YouGov also asked about what are the most important issues facing the country, which party will deal with them best.

On Brexit:

Q. In hindsight do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the EU ?

Q. Do you think Britain will be economically better or worse off after we leave the EU, or will it make no difference ?

Q. Do you think leaving the Eu will have a good or bad influence on British jobs or will it make no difference ?

Q. Do you think Britain leaving the EU will have a good or bad effect on peoples' pensions or will it make no difference ?
So the marginally slim majority agree that leaving is bad for the economy, bad for jobs, bad for pensions but still the best thing to do - beyond farce !
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Good morning all,
Apologies for mentioning The Topic Which Must Not Be Named, but I don't believe that there was much mention of the GMB coming out in favour of Owen Smith.
I've been away for a couple of weeks, so further apologies if this has already been posted (and even further apologies for the quality of the reproduction, my scanner is knackered so I had to take a photo).
It's from the latest Private Eye, and seems to imply that the GMB vote 60-40 in favour of Smith over Corbyn may not be all it seems:
GMB2.gif
GMB2.gif (64.68 KiB) Viewed 17121 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

pk1 wrote:

On Brexit:

So the marginally slim majority agree that leaving is bad for the economy, bad for jobs, bad for pensions but still the best thing to do - beyond farce !
I read it as they feel it'll be good or no difference, remainers feel it'll be bad or no difference.

Foolishly allowing myself to be wound up by the selective look, Labour are sexist because of the men lines being pushed by the usual suspects.

Logic seems to be

Eagle convinced not to stand by the PLP votes. Smith not standing aside for Eagle. Fine. He's the stronger candidate.

Berger on the list but losing. Bad. Shows Labour should have all female candidates.

Morning all btw.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... -june-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest delayed transfer of care figures
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... -year-olds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open consultation
Early years funding: changes to funding for 3- and 4-year-olds

https://consult.education.gov.uk/early- ... ding/eynff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

pk1 wrote:

On Brexit:

My personal take on it in pessimistic moments is that leavers were miserable so they voted to make the rest of us miserable as well. So if we're all miserable, job done.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://npi.org.uk/publications/income-a ... d-poverty/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disability and Poverty
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Yikes !
@MSmithsonPB
LAB down to 26% with TNS - most accurate #EURef pollster
CON 39%, LAB 26%, UKIP 11%, LIB DEM 10%, GRN 7%,

@MSmithsonPB
A new poll by TNS BMRB shows that 44% of people think Theresa May is a better leader for Britain than Corbyn (16%).

@MSmithsonPB
TNS poll finds 45% of those who voted for LAB at GE2015 say Corbyn is performing badly in his role as party leader.

@MSmithsonPB
TNS poll: Support for Theresa May is strongest with 55+ women. 68% say she makes the best leader for Britain with only saying 9% Corbyn
Sorry, no link as yet but 26% is the lowest I've seen in any poll thus far :o
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:Yikes !
@MSmithsonPB
LAB down to 26% with TNS - most accurate #EURef pollster
CON 39%, LAB 26%, UKIP 11%, LIB DEM 10%, GRN 7%,

@MSmithsonPB
A new poll by TNS BMRB shows that 44% of people think Theresa May is a better leader for Britain than Corbyn (16%).

@MSmithsonPB
TNS poll finds 45% of those who voted for LAB at GE2015 say Corbyn is performing badly in his role as party leader.

@MSmithsonPB
TNS poll: Support for Theresa May is strongest with 55+ women. 68% say she makes the best leader for Britain with only saying 9% Corbyn
Sorry, no link as yet but 26% is the lowest I've seen in any poll thus far :o

How does that sit with yahyah's earlier post? (I can't get yahyah's link to work)?
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

StephenDolan wrote:... Labour are sexist because of the men lines being pushed by the usual suspects.
There seems to have been a lot of talk of sexism lately and indeed putting women into uncompromising positions and uninvited touching is thoroughly reprehensible, indeed I have myself challenged blokes that have done so. Nevertheless I sometimes wonder whether complaints go a little too far. Have they ever been or seen a bloke enter a largely female workplace, especially if they be young? They are far more vociferous and gropy than the average male.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Link here if anybody wants to watch today's Court of Appeal hearing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-p ... s-36302144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Maybe I should buy a boat with my pension. Just as well it weren't a company one else I'd have paid for somebody else's.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Immeasurable damage has already been done, but despite the backlash I'd still like our government to finally admit that Brexit really is not deliverable.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... -june-2016

Latest delayed transfer of care figures
My wife spent four months in hospital after her brain haemorrhage, A, the last one because she couldn't be discharged back home and there being no alternative. She still needed full time nursing but there was no more they could do for her clinically. I did find a half decent place, which fell through only leaving us one other option. I appreciate that home is not an option in most bed-blocking cases but in hers I still maintain that it would have been better. Besides that was all she wanted and kept blaming me for not allowing it... and then there was the small matter of cost.

Edit: removed 'other' before 'alternative'
Last edited by utopiandreams on Thu 11 Aug, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

utopiandreams wrote:Immeasurable damage has already been done, but despite the backlash I'd still like our government to finally admit that Brexit really is not deliverable.
Brexit means Brexit.

We just need to find out what

Teresa May means by 'Brexit and what the EU mean by A50.

All the talk of negotiations and pre A50 talks, what is allowed formally, informally, unofficially. Hints of spy novels.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:Link here if anybody wants to watch today's Court of Appeal hearing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-p ... s-36302144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm watching it - but I'm very distracted by the wig slippage\itchy head problem.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

utopiandreams wrote:Immeasurable damage has already been done, but despite the backlash I'd still like our government to finally admit that Brexit really is not deliverable.
Cameron has got off far too lightly for his unconscionable dereliction of responsibility. It was his choice to offer the extremely challenging and complex option of leaving the EU in the way you might offer someone the choice between a Snickers and a Mars Bar. Bad enough he offered the choice at all, but the least he could have done was give the media and public a few years to discuss it, as with the Scottish Indy ref. Not to mention draw up credible plans for how the UK could look outside the EU, as the SNP were expected to do re Scotland. Did any politician actually query the short time scale when the legislation to hold the referendum went through parliament?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:
How does that sit with yahyah's earlier post? (I can't get yahyah's link to work)?
That they were the "most accurate" for the referendum doesn't mean much tbh. Referendums and GEs are different things.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:
pk1 wrote:Link here if anybody wants to watch today's Court of Appeal hearing:

I'm watching it - but I'm very distracted by the wig slippage\itchy head problem.
:lol: Me too. I'm also wondering if this judge always interrupts the barrister every few sentences or whether he's showboating on account of this being the first CoA broadcasting. Most irritating !
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@StephenDolan

I humbly suggest you check your spelling of Theresa, Steve. I believe Teresa is somebody else entirely. Learned it from cif. Honest.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

danesclose wrote:Good morning all,
Apologies for mentioning The Topic Which Must Not Be Named, but I don't believe that there was much mention of the GMB coming out in favour of Owen Smith.
I've been away for a couple of weeks, so further apologies if this has already been posted (and even further apologies for the quality of the reproduction, my scanner is knackered so I had to take a photo).
It's from the latest Private Eye, and seems to imply that the GMB vote 60-40 in favour of Smith over Corbyn may not be all it seems:
GMB2.gif
Well- haven't followed it up and really don't know much more than this but :

Eleanor Garnier ‏@BBCEleanorG 5m5 minutes ago
*** BREAKING *** GMB Union backs Owen Smith for Labour leader 60% voted for Smith, 40% voted for Corbyn and 43,419 voted

43,419 voted - implies that the result wasn't steered in the way the Private Eye article suggests.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

However much I decry Fat Dave and the Tories for the referendum, Willow, I still hold the PLP partly responsible for how it was conducted having voted with the government after the GE.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well, that was a turnout of about 7% overall - not massively impressive tbh ;)

(also claims that many if not all Scottish GMB members missed getting a vote, not sure if that is true but just putting it out there)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I thought I'd read 18% somewhere, Anatoly, but may be speaking of something else. I didn't really pay it any attention and may even be thinking of another union should there be one backing Smith.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well, that was a turnout of about 7% overall - not massively impressive tbh ;)

(also claims that many if not all Scottish GMB members missed getting a vote, not sure if that is true but just putting it out there)
ah...