Thursday 11th August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Re: Thursday 11th August 2016

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

utopiandreams wrote:
55DegreesNorth wrote:Crest Academy, an E-Act sponsored outfit, ruins kids chances of university by teaching the wrong standard.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ment-error" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Standards, and all that.
Okay I'll stick my neck out. When I taught or mentored some GNVQ projects at college I knew nothing at all of what was required and was only handed a few notes of guidance. I couldn't even glean much from Edexcel's website (I think it was them). Still barring a very few that I could not pass, despite being told to pass them all, my assessment did parry with the external markers. Because so many had dropped out, before my arrival I may add, I was instructed to mark their work a week early and return it to the students with explicit instructions of what else was required... as if they hadn't had enough hand holding already. Even after that I got into arguments with the head of department about my refusal to pass them all.

PGSE was another bone of contention, no guidance or curriculum whatsoever. The blind leading the blind.

Postscript: It wasn't PGSE that's something else entirely. I can't remember what it was.
Tell me about it, bonny lad. I've seen some industrial scale cheating and bending of professional standards in BTEC teaching (=photocopying). It's no coincidence that pushing shed loads of students onto BTEC courses, regardless of their appropriateness or credibility, is an essential part of 'turning round' failing schools. That, and booting out difficult students.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
The UK’s statistics office has begun recruiting its first data analytics apprentices, following a critical review into the quality
of economic data by the former Bank of England deputy governor Sir Charles Bean.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said it was recruiting six apprentices at its Newport headquarters in south Wales, where its
new data science campus is based. Bean has been highly critical of the skills levels at the ONS following its move from London to
Newport after 2007, when it lost many senior staff.

Andrew Tyrie, chair of the cross-party Treasury select committee, has also blasted the UK’s “rubbish” statistics and criticised the
ONS for falling behind its international peers.

- ONS to recruit data analytics apprentices after skills criticism

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -criticism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, six apprentices will sort out the ONS, no problem.
Tory governments foment disaster for sport - it's what the Tory party is about.
I've no doubt their jiggery of services continues.
I used to work for ONS in the days before it was mauled about and was still called OPCS (Office for Population Censuses and Surveys). In those days it was regarded as "the Rolls Royce of statistics". I was proud to work there. It's criminal what's happened to the outfit.

Edited - "it" for "is"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Plan for cement factories in London Olympic park causes uproar

Thousands object to proposals to site cement and concrete plants on parkland left as legacy from 2012 Games (Guardian)
Some legacy.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ses-uproar
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
The UK’s statistics office has begun recruiting its first data analytics apprentices, following a critical review into the quality
of economic data by the former Bank of England deputy governor Sir Charles Bean.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said it was recruiting six apprentices at its Newport headquarters in south Wales, where its
new data science campus is based. Bean has been highly critical of the skills levels at the ONS following its move from London to
Newport after 2007, when it lost many senior staff.

Andrew Tyrie, chair of the cross-party Treasury select committee, has also blasted the UK’s “rubbish” statistics and criticised the
ONS for falling behind its international peers.

- ONS to recruit data analytics apprentices after skills criticism

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -criticism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, six apprentices will sort out the ONS, no problem.
Tory governments foment disaster for sport - it's what the Tory party is about.
I've no doubt their jiggery of services continues.
I used to work for ONS in the days before it was mauled about and was still called OPCS (Office for Population Censuses and Surveys). In those days it was regarded as "the Rolls Royce of statistics". I was proud to work there. It's criminal what's happened to the outfit.

Edited - "it" for "is"
I know. I'm California State University (CSU) educated. The reputation of your organisation was justly renowned.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:For Ephie.
13814045_1124593070962307_4729061136394819414_n.png

Ohso, you are a very naughty girl.

Mind you, one of the not-very-good-at-rowing Greeks is just divine.
I don't care if he's not-very-good-at-rowing. He's BEAUTIFUL!!!!! :heart:
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Re the court case.
This comment on Facebook.

>>>Apparently excluding large parts of the membership from voting is to ‘avoid manipulation of the democratic processes. I suppose he’s alluding to the totally unsubstantiated smear that Tom Watson started about entryism.
Tom Watson was paid £200,000 by Max Mosley, who was involved in his father Oswald Mosley’s extreme right party. You couldn’t make it up.
<<<
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Jess Phillips is an eejit.

She claims she contacted both Corbyn and someone in his office (who she calls, with no sense of irony, "lovely") by text. Twice.
So she sends two text messages and seriously thinks this is the way to get a party leader to "do something"?

Someone mentioned earlier that they thought she was a "rentagob". I disagree. She is gobby for no charge.
Her Twitter avatar is a pic of herself shouting at someone.

Not a lot of dignity there.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Oh go on I do have a tale about working at a college. I was offered the post on a Thursday I think and started at 9 o' clock on the Monday morning with little to no idea of what I was going to do. A lad somewhat larger than I wandered in about ten past and muttering something I didn't catch sauntered right up to me and spoke directly into my face. Without batting an eyelid I asked his name and told him to take a seat.

Later that morning I was asked by their year tutor if I had met said student and was told we wouldn't have him for much longer as he was up for either ABH or GBH shortly and was likely to be sent down. It was only then I realised I was supposed to be intimidated by him, it simply hadn't occurred to me. When it came to splitting them up for a group project plus his constant claims to be so much better than everyone else I let him have a group to himself. He didn't appreciate it but was gone within a fortnight.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Professor Alexis Jay has been appointed to chair the child abuse enquiry after Judge Lowell Goddard resigned.

Jay has no legal qualifications, but a lot of experience in the field and chaired the Rotherham enquiry.

This has already cost £18 Million so far - perhaps now, at long last, something might actually happen.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

ephemerid wrote:Jess Phillips is an eejit.

She claims she contacted both Corbyn and someone in his office (who she calls, wi,th no sense of irony, "lovely") by text. Twice.
So she sends two text messages and seriously thinks this is the way to get a party leader to "do something"?

Someone mentioned earlier that they thought she was a "rentagob". I disagree. She is gobby for no charge.
Her Twitter avatar is a pic of herself shouting at someone.

Not a lot of dignity there.
Who needs dignity when, with enough controversial twitting, you too can postion yourself to become the next Mensch, Danczuk or Mad Mel Phillips (who was left wing back when she was whatever she was at the NU Students and writing for the Guardian).
I'm getting tired of calming down....
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

PorFavor wrote:
Plan for cement factories in London Olympic park causes uproar

Thousands object to proposals to site cement and concrete plants on parkland left as legacy from 2012 Games (Guardian)
Some legacy.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ses-uproar
To be honest, from Google Earth, it looks like a cement works would be an improvement. I was going to pop a screen shot in, but it's not playing. Time to read Refitmans tips.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

danesclose wrote:
pk1 wrote:Unison committee nominate Jeremy Corbyn by 58 to 42%
If I was a member of Unison I'd be unhappy about that. Other unions have been able to ballot their members, why not Unison
pk1 wrote:@danesclose re GMB numbers - I'd imagine the Graun guesstimated how many were eligible & we all know accuracy isn't one of their strong points :roll:
Fair point well made ;)
I'm a Musician's Union member and I'm not exactly pleased with not being consulted either. Not that the MU ever consults members about anything. Not since we elected the "wrong General Secretary" who "had" to be forced out of office by a revolt of the EC and paid staff. After which the EC shut down all the local branches and made the small and pretty much self-perpetuating Regional Committees the lowest rung of the organisation.

Oh, and candidates for committee and other elections, who other than the already elected, members have probably mever even heard of are allowed two or three short paragraphs of election blurb, which must not be political in nature.

And nowadays the EC complains election turnouts are minute and members aren't active in the Union any more...
I'm getting tired of calming down....
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Happy birthday to Show, and have a great evening together.
He is indeed lucky to have you Ephie, I hope you remind him of that ten times a day ;)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:

Just think about way back when, when they competed in the nuddy. :shock: :lol: Although I can think of some sports where it's just as well they're [more or less] covered.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/dw ... tos-nurse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DWP silent over ‘fitness for work’ tests carried out by drunk Atos nurse
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jon Trickett
‏@jon_trickett Jon Trickett Retweeted Maria Carroll

I am a member of NEC. Not been consulted about appeal. Time to spend money on opposing Tory govt not on lawyers
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

Just think about way back when, when they competed in the nuddy. :shock: :lol: Although I can think of some sports where it's just as well they're [more or less] covered.
This would do: http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/sport/ ... ted/11/08/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
;)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

This would do: http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/sport/ ... ted/11/08/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
;)

Nude Olympic competitors? Nooo!!!!!!

Suppose they have darts? Can you IMAGINE a latter-day Jocky Wilson starkers on the oche? :sick:

Mind you, I suspect the (already very very very very high) numbers of chaps watching the womens' beach volleyball would rocket.

Condom clothes. Crikey. Whatever else has been said about Chanel, at least she didn't dress women in rubber.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Show says thank you for the birthday wishes.

He also says you may not have cake. It's all for him.

(He ate 3 onion bhajis. Oink)

However, I have some nice fruity Welsh cakes in the tin, and I'll be making a lemon drizzle cake at the weekend. You can have some of that instead. Who like chocolate cake anyway? So ner ner nee ner ner, Show.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/ch ... efits-cap/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charity calls for WRAG exemption from benefits cap

Though may become exempt soon by other means.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/at ... ment-lies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Atos nurse struck off over PIP assessment lies
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Link to coverage of debate in both threads.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/at ... ment-lies/

I am disgusted by members of the profession of which I was so proud working for the likes of Atos and Maximus.

It goes against everything I was taught, it's not good practice, and those who do it should be ashamed of themselves.

Judging by the NMC entries of the nurses who were involved in my assessments, they have basic qualifications and not much in the way of post-graduate clinical practice (which, as any nurse worth their salt would tell you, is where you really learn your craft)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Yay! The GB men are through to the rugby sevens final!

They get Fiji. Oooer.....
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ephemerid wrote:

I am disgusted by members of the profession of which I was so proud working for the likes of Atos and Maximus.

It goes against everything I was taught, it's not good practice, and those who do it should be ashamed of themselves.

Judging by the NMC entries of the nurses who were involved in my assessments, they have basic qualifications and not much in the way of post-graduate clinical practice (which, as any nurse worth their salt would tell you, is where you really learn your craft)
Speaking of Maximus, anyone heard anything from Sue Marsh since she went to work for them?
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Failure to monitor and failure to disclose how many affected. No problem for IDS of course or his cohorts but what of those deprived of their lifelines? It's more than time that government took responsibility.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Lovely place Fiji -Bula

I'm just getting my hair done.12 hours later approaching midnight,it was done.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

57ac93091700002d00d1e26c.jpeg
57ac93091700002d00d1e26c.jpeg (123.86 KiB) Viewed 13410 times
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/d ... wdatr442t9
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It didn't look any different.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I believe we should ban all religion.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

She's on twitter.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

refitman wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

Speaking of Maximus, anyone heard anything from Sue Marsh since she went to work for them?

She's been about on Twitter - mainly on the subject of the Labour leadership....

On another topic entirely -

Cancer Research UK says that the 62-day target for starting cancer treatment has been missed for two-and-a-half years.
The figures come from NHS England data from 2009 to 2016.
Note - NHS ENGLAND. Where one J.*unt is in charge.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Lovely place Fiji -Bula

I'm just getting my hair done.12 hours later approaching midnight,it was done.
"Done", A?

Done to a turn, done to a crisp, or just, like, done for?
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Dressage. *sigh*. I know there's some horsey folk here, but it's bollocks. There ought to be a separate performing art olympics for horse dancing, gymnastics, synchronised grinning. Chuck in opera and ballet and all the other stuff that can't be quantified and it would make a good alternative watch to the World Cup.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I don't usually spell it out but there was a subtle message in my post about college after what I saw here the other day. It was true btw. As a member of the Magic Circle once told me, master distraction tactics and that's when the magic happens. Pity I couldn't master the second.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Oi you, Fiftyfiver, my first wife used to take me to ballet, more contemporary dance thankfully but then she was a dancer and choreographer and even used me to try out her moves.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Anyone watching the debate willing to give their opinion?
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Speaking of which my first girlfriend had me doing song and dance routines to perform before the class. I blame her for everything. I was only five or six at the time and extremely shy beforehand.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It was a souvenir shop/cafe/hairdressers used by my better half for some respite from me.I pretended I was Jacques Cousteau looking at the beautiful coral for a couple of hours and on return nothing appeared to have moved in the meantime as much a hair slightly in a different directions, Fijian time"is somewhat different and when they said about half an hour it equated to our ten.She was furnished with drinks and food and well looked after to be fair.She.was the only costumer all day.Her hair was probably different in some way it was hard.to tell in the pitch black
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

HindleA wrote:... Fijian time"is somewhat different and when they said about half an hour it equated to our ten...
I didn't know they were into computer programming, A.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I find them both equally hard to watch to be honest.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

StephenDolan wrote:Anyone watching the debate willing to give their opinion?
No, Steve, but did see a short clip on Channel 4 News where Owen lambasted Jeremy's EU views, thrown back at him with when they shared a platform and giving him a sizeable list of its benefits.

Is it just me but has Cathy Newman upped her game recently? She had become a mini Laura Kuenssberg.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Synchronised underwater nose picking , rhythmic bat gymnastics,I think you are on to a winner,there.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Have posted this recently but it seems appropriate on so many levels. Eddie Izzard and his guide to dressage:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
highly trained riders, highly trained horses trained to do ... stuff that is not wanted in life.
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Thu 11 Aug, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There is links in both threads to all the debates,both live and put there later,if you so desire/punish yourself.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I almost do the first every morning, A, but no to your bat gymnastics, I'm too afraid of falling. Would drinking a pint of beer whist standing on your head pass muster?

Speaking of which during an Everyman Wake before refurbishment in the 70s I was dragged on stage for a three man beer drinking race; two pints stood on the floor before us. Trouble was I couldn't stand beer back then so I had lager. No contest. Mind you, glad I'd done a thorough job on the nose-picking.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Thu 11 Aug, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Freestyle
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

unless you want to park your horse in a cupboard it's not ...
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Why, are you paying?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

... dressage a la burgeleur