Tuesday 16th August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Re: Tuesday 16th August 2016

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Article in the graun about Corbyn sitting on the floor of his train due to overcrowding - some fun comments below it including this one:
If he loved Britain he would have stood the whole way while singing the national anthem.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

DAG does post some very amusing stuff...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... 06-in-july" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First post-Brexit data shows UK inflation rose to 0.6% in July
ONS records rise in fuel, alcohol, hotel and restaurant prices with analysts warning that Brexit’s impact on inflation is yet to be felt
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
At directorate level, Khan retained the trusted group that won him the mayoralty: Patrick Hennessy (communications), David Bellamy (chief of staff), Jack Stenner (political strategy), Nick Bowes (policy) and Leah Kreitzman (external affairs and international relations). Insiders speak of how their familiarity and loyalty mark a break with the days of Johnson when advisers were played off against each other.
That's what leadership looks like...
A bearded man in shorts saying, "Bootiful"?

[sorry in advance]
You said it so that I didn't have to - and for that I shall be forever grateful.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

For those who may be interested, some polling on Smith/Corbyn, not Labour members but the general public.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 21461.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edited to delete question, before someone implies I'm a Blairite rather than answers the question.
Last edited by yahyah on Tue 16 Aug, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Meanwhile:
Resolution Foundation says cut in immigration might boost pay in some low-paid sectors, but would not compensate for slowdown in growth
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... tudy-finds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

RogerOThornhill wrote:DAG does post some very amusing stuff...

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-08-16/brex ... al-for-uk/
There is an alternative model for our new economic arrangement with the EU – which, I am told, has a 75% chance of being negotiated successfully (that is a wholly spurious probability by the way, and should be interpreted as a statistical version of cabinet ministers crossing their fingers and toes).
This model is being developed by the newly created Department for Exiting the European Union, under David Davis, and it consists of a British reworking of Canada's EU free-trade deal, with - and this is the trickiest part - a bespoke add-on for our service sector.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TinyC@

Saw somewhere that Brexit negotiations will cost £5bn for legal and costs.
That's one hell of a lot of Noilly Prat you could buy with that.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 93141.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would go to the pub with this man.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tories down to 12 point lead in ICM poll.

Tories 40% Labour 28% Kippers 14% Lib Dems 8%
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

So Matthew Oakeshott donates £25k to set-up this Labour Tomorrow website & is derided for it but let's not be hypocritical about things - at least try to remember how pleased we were when he gave a hefty share of £600k to Labour MPs under Ed Miliband's leadership. £25k looks like small change when compared to £600k.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... y-campaign
An unusual £600,000 donation has been handed to 30 Labour and 15 left of centre Liberal Democrat election candidates by a former Lib Dem peer in an attempt to create an Ed Miliband-led progressive government.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:Tories down to 12 point lead in ICM poll.

Hallelujah, we're saved.

Oh......12 point lead for the Cons :cry:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... et-beckett" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour split risks handing Tories unfettered power, says Margaret Beckett
There's no use shutting the cupboard door after the dancing horse has bolted.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:So Matthew Oakeshott donates £25k to set-up this Labour Tomorrow website & is derided for it but let's not be hypocritical about things - at least try to remember how pleased we were when he gave a hefty share of £600k to Labour MPs under Ed Miliband's leadership. £25k looks like small change when compared to £600k.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... y-campaign
An unusual £600,000 donation has been handed to 30 Labour and 15 left of centre Liberal Democrat election candidates by a former Lib Dem peer in an attempt to create an Ed Miliband-led progressive government.
It's the David Blunkett bit that I object to.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PorFavor wrote:It's the David Blunkett bit that I object to.
That (an awful lot of that) and the rank hypocrisy for me.

And, had I known about it, I don't think I would have been much impressed about the other bit regarding Miliband, either.

Edit: strange n't at the end of would removed. Apologies to everyone who may have thumbed up before the change.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Tue 16 Aug, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

pk1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Tories down to 12 point lead in ICM poll.

Hallelujah, we're saved.

Oh......12 point lead for the Cons :cry:

It'll only make you cry if you are using an Establishment Red Tory elitist framework to view it Comrade. :lol:

edited to add: that's a joke by the way.
Last edited by yahyah on Tue 16 Aug, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

And I've just remembered why... Oakeshott was the attack dog of [I have actually and rather thankfully completely forgotten his name - Mr 'Nuclear' BIS ], wasn't he.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cp_1X-eW8AAdD21.jpg
Cp_1X-eW8AAdD21.jpg (31.3 KiB) Viewed 12587 times
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Re: Latin. Don't forget to conjugate your verbs.
[youtube]KAfKFKBlZbM[/youtube]
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Здравствуйте товарищи

Just popped in to add my two roubles worth. I'm generally keeping quiet during the Labour leadership campaign, besides I'm a little busy too. Anyway I see that Jess is all mouth and no trousers again, not a pretty sight to be sure. Nevertheless if she'a as good as her word then I shall be voting Labour at the next GE, however I may go all happy clappy should she have good reason to stay. Besides why should I vote for a party that suggests I'm not welcome as a member. 'And there was me thinking it would take a generation before I could vote LibDem again, but as JonnyT hinted they were/are more progressive than New Labour, not to mention on matters of personal liberty. Quite frankly I don't trust the PLP as things currently stand... and why should I?

Btw I just missed having to study Latin or Classical Greek by one year so did two modern languages plus Russian in the lower sixth. The deputy head, ex Bletchley Park, offered it and only two of us took her up on it but the other soon left. My brother studied it too a year later and soon found himself in similar position. I don't know what examination board it was but the oral exam was far superior than the other languages we studied. Instead of answering stupid questions like, "Qu'est-ce qu'il y a sur la table?" we had to do a five minute talk on a choice of subjects and were then asked questions about it. I chose the Russian Space Program.

До свидания.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Labour MP arrested in Spain after 'fight with ex-wife'
ITV
an hour ago

Simon Danczuk was detained by authorities in Alicante and held overnight.

http://stv.tv/news/politics/1364140-lab ... h-ex-wife/
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I always travel in between carriages,sometimes there are fip top seats ,even when seats are available,when travelling alone.Not uncommon to have stood when in accompanyment to allow others to sit.I didn't realise it was some kind of sacrifice or statement,it may be because I appreciate I can and that others cannot,I don't really know.I only mention because I find it deeply weird that people are expessing love for somebody on that basis.Perhaps it was some kind of dry run in advance of Finland Station re-enactment next year , time will tell.

The last bit is a joke by the way.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Article in the G on Jess Phillips and her panic room.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 92446.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Putting Boris in charge of the country 'like putting the Chuckle Brothers in charge of Newsnight'
Britain has blown it as a serious country.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

yahyah wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/t ... 682310.stm

My memory was only slightly off, six years later. I plead old age.

In his rush to defend his crush on Clegg he tried to stem criticism about the Libs joining the Tories, and defend his position he says

''what are we going to do if it turns out the coalition are more progressive than New Labour on some issues'
A valid question when comparing the Labour an LibDem manifestos of 2010. The LibDems were very keen to be seen to be left of New Labour on a lot of issues.

Which is probably the biggest reason the LibDem MPs can now all travel in the same minibus with room to spare.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

utopiandreams wrote:... but as JonnyT hinted they were/are more progressive than New Labour, not to mention on matters of personal liberty. Quite frankly I don't trust the PLP as things currently stand... and why should I?
Point of Order. More progressive than New Labour on some things.

To demonstrate my contempt for them be aware that - given them as the only two options - I would actually vote for Tony Blair to become leader of the Labour Party again before I would ever, ever vote for the Lib Dems.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 92446.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Putting Boris in charge of the country 'like putting the Chuckle Brothers in charge of Newsnight'
Britain has blown it as a serious country.
To be fair, the Chuckle Brothers would be a massive improvement for Newsnight.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

HindleA wrote:I always travel in between carriages,sometimes there are fip top seats ,even when seats are available,when travelling alone.Not uncommon to have stood when in accompanyment to allow others to sit.I didn't realise it was some kind of sacrifice or statement,it may be because I appreciate I can and that others cannot,I don't really know.I only mention because I find it deeply weird that people are expessing love for somebody on that basis.
Ah, but a real and electable Labour politician would have travelled in a private first class compartment, not rough it with the plebs. Therefore Corbyn must go!

And to keep in the spirit of the day:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

So there :-)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

A pal of mine was once in the same carriage as Wayne Rooney travelling on the train from Manchester to London. Got a photo with him. Was quite jealous.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

TR'sGhost wrote:
HindleA wrote:I always travel in between carriages,sometimes there are fip top seats ,even when seats are available,when travelling alone.Not uncommon to have stood when in accompanyment to allow others to sit.I didn't realise it was some kind of sacrifice or statement,it may be because I appreciate I can and that others cannot,I don't really know.I only mention because I find it deeply weird that people are expessing love for somebody on that basis.
Ah, but a real and electable Labour politician would have travelled in a private first class compartment, not rough it with the plebs. Therefore Corbyn must go!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

I blame Cicero for that one - another sandal wearing, gardening, beardie plotting to bring down the state!
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:... but as JonnyT hinted they were/are more progressive than New Labour, not to mention on matters of personal liberty. Quite frankly I don't trust the PLP as things currently stand... and why should I?
Point of Order. More progressive than New Labour on some things.

To demonstrate my contempt for them be aware that - given them as the only two options - I would actually vote for Tony Blair to become leader of the Labour Party again before I would ever, ever vote for the Lib Dems.
That's why I said hinted, Jonny, and just to be clear the Orange Bookers pulled them toward the right, as had Blair Labour btw, and eventually held two fingers up to their electorate notwithstanding the unforgivable alliance with the devil. That's how I see the PLP behaving now, not that I'm suggesting they'd form a government with Tories. Anyway I'm not really about to vote LibDem in my neck of the woods but shall have to hold my nose if the likes of Jess Phillips speak for Labour, she seems more suited to overexposure on some reality TV show than as a politician.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TR'sGhost wrote:

I dunno what it means, but I agree. 100%.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Greetings all,

I'm not in a position to comment on local Labour party meetings to decide on supporting a leadership candidate or not. Instead I'll share with you brief details of a local Green party meeting we had last night to decide whether to endorse any of the Green Party leadership candidates. We'd already previously read the candidates pitches so watched a video of a recent hustings. After which we had a discussion. Basically it amounted to we knew who we didn't want but there was no single candidate we felt overwhelming support for. In a way I found that rather disappointing - it would be nice if one candidate was the stand out obvious choice.

Btw @Tem - have you decided/voted as yet?
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

*tut*

Forgot, I also meant to tell you the latest on Farm Terrace. We're asking for another Judicial Review. Government and Local Council not happy.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Tizme1 wrote:Greetings all,

I'm not in a position to comment on local Labour party meetings to decide on supporting a leadership candidate or not. Instead I'll share with you brief details of a local Green party meeting we had last night to decide whether to endorse any of the Green Party leadership candidates. We'd already previously read the candidates pitches so watched a video of a recent hustings. After which we had a discussion. Basically it amounted to we knew who we didn't want but there was no single candidate we felt overwhelming support for. In a way I found that rather disappointing - it would be nice if one candidate was the stand out obvious choice.

Yes Caroline (and JB though with serious reservations about him), and Amelia for me.
pala
Backbencher

Post by pala »

Commenter on the G:

He's already done that. The PLP are now fully backing Owen Smith, who is pretty much aping all of Corbyn's policies while telling us how absolutely, completely, 100%, till the day I die Labour he is. Of course, Kendall and Cooper and many in the PLP completely disagreed with Corbyn's policies before, but now they're on side, because they know most of his policies are popular.

No longer will the Labour leader be able to stand for nothing. No longer will "Tory cuts, but with a nicer face" be a good enough opposition. They'll be expected to stand with doctors, nurses, teachers, public sector workers and those on the margins of society. They'll be expected to advocate rail renationalisation, a more humane and rational foreign policy and proper investment in social housing. Corbyn has already achieved what he set out to do. If nothing else, he's now made offering some actual opposition - some actual alternative to the neoliberal consensus - a thing that all Labour leaders should aspire to.
And people wonder why his supporters respond to the detractors with anger.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pala wrote:Commenter on the G:

He's already done that. The PLP are now fully backing Owen Smith, who is pretty much aping all of Corbyn's policies while telling us how absolutely, completely, 100%, till the day I die Labour he is. Of course, Kendall and Cooper and many in the PLP completely disagreed with Corbyn's policies before, but now they're on side, because they know most of his policies are popular.

No longer will the Labour leader be able to stand for nothing. No longer will "Tory cuts, but with a nicer face" be a good enough opposition. They'll be expected to stand with doctors, nurses, teachers, public sector workers and those on the margins of society. They'll be expected to advocate rail renationalisation, a more humane and rational foreign policy and proper investment in social housing. Corbyn has already achieved what he set out to do. If nothing else, he's now made offering some actual opposition - some actual alternative to the neoliberal consensus - a thing that all Labour leaders should aspire to.
And people wonder why his supporters respond to the detractors with anger.
If Blunkett and Labour party grandees are behind the scenes raising money, it means they'll want input on Labour policies if they should win. They won't be donating and raising those large sums of money for the love of it. Or, dare I say it, for the poor.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Temulkar wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:Greetings all,

Yes Caroline (and JB though with serious reservations about him), and Amelia for me.
Thanks Tem. Lot to be said for the 'joint ticket' but I also have reservations about JB. Plus the whole point of Caroline standing down originally was to give greater prominence elsewhere. Think I shall have to do some more reading and watching and thinking, before I can decide.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:A pal of mine was once in the same carriage as Wayne Rooney travelling on the train from Manchester to London. Got a photo with him. Was quite jealous.
Was it this one?
o-SHREK-facebook.jpg
o-SHREK-facebook.jpg (69.94 KiB) Viewed 12350 times
[Look, even the forum software hates it]
Last edited by refitman on Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: image resized
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

First images of Jess Phillips' new panic room leak onto the internet...

JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

No one will ever be able to find her when she's hiding in here...

MsChin
Backbencher

Post by MsChin »

May I politely ask that people refrain from jibes at Phillips over panic rooms? As some of you will know, I'm passionate about the issue of domestic violence so when I say that panic rooms are safe sanctuaries for people at risk and not something to make light of, I say it with sincerity. Whatever our individual views on Phillips, remember this:
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mi ... s-11317294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

I did think before I posted those. They weren't done lightly. I think it's fair comment to mock her propensity to bemoan threats to her safety in such an overtly public fashion that increases rather than diminishes any risks to her safety. Personally, I think her 'me, me, me, look at me' actions are insulting and belittling to people who have suffered violence.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

ohsocynical wrote:
TR'sGhost wrote:

I dunno what it means, but I agree. 100%.
Neither do I.

It's the beginning of a block of text that's been used as a publisher's/typesetter's placeholder for the real content since the 1500s. Apparently it gives a good impression of what the layout will look like when the real content's there because the word and sentence lengths, punctuation and letter frequency and distribution are a good visual parallel with English.

If real English text is used as a placeholder people tend to read it rather than focus on the design and layout, and simply putting "content to be added later" doesn't work as an indication of the final appearance either.

http://www.lipsum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and many other wensites explain all.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

Temulkar wrote:
TR'sGhost wrote:

I blame Cicero for that one - another sandal wearing, gardening, beardie plotting to bring down the state!
Ah, Cicero vs Mark Anthony. The Romans certainly knew how to conduct a first-rate leadership contest. And their death threats to their opponents weren't just stupid abuse or rhetoric.
MsChin
Backbencher

Post by MsChin »

I don't doubt that you did consider it, Jonny, & I wouldn't expect any less of you, tbh, or respect you any less for posting them. It's just a personal thing for me having worked in the field, as has Phillips I believe, and a panic room is not something you just install on a whim. I just wanted to tell people here how I feel about this.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

MsChin wrote:I don't doubt that you did consider it, Jonny, & I wouldn't expect any less of you, tbh, or respect you any less for posting them. It's just a personal thing for me having worked in the field, as has Phillips I believe, and a panic room is not something you just install on a whim. I just wanted to tell people here how I feel about this.
Appreciated and I have nothing to say about her getting one (I don't doubt in the slightest that she's received the threats, and given what's happened with Jo Cox, it makes sense that she's doing something). But it is not the panic room I'm mocking. I'm just getting tired of her increasingly self-centred approach. I find it upsetting in the extreme that by making it all about her, she's diminishing rather than increasing awareness of what other people go through.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JonnyT1234 wrote:I did think before I posted those. They weren't done lightly. I think it's fair comment to mock her propensity to bemoan threats to her safety in such an overtly public fashion that increases rather than diminishes any risks to her safety. Personally, I think her 'me, me, me, look at me' actions are insulting and belittling to people who have suffered violence.
I've been trying to find a letter from a Woman's support group asking her to support Corbyn. And I think I posted something similar on one of the Corbyn Thread pages.

I heard her on BBC4 today and she's very confrontational. Some of her Tweets are the same. And I believe she has blocked a great many women.

Edited to add:
And she should be getting as many women involved as she can instead of alienating them.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Found this one
CprUN9MW8Agt9MF.jpg
CprUN9MW8Agt9MF.jpg (144.5 KiB) Viewed 12276 times
MsChin
Backbencher

Post by MsChin »

ohsocynical wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:I did think before I posted those. They weren't done lightly. I think it's fair comment to mock her propensity to bemoan threats to her safety in such an overtly public fashion that increases rather than diminishes any risks to her safety. Personally, I think her 'me, me, me, look at me' actions are insulting and belittling to people who have suffered violence.
I've been trying to find a letter from a Woman's support group asking her to support Corbyn. And I think I posted something similar on one of the Corbyn Thread pages.

I heard her on BBC4 today and she's very confrontational. Some of her Tweets are the same. And I believe she has blocked a great many women.

Edited to add:
And she should be getting as many women involved as she can instead of alienating them.