Tuesday 16th August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
MsChin
Backbencher

Re: Tuesday 16th August 2016

Post by MsChin »

I messed that one up, didn't I!

I'll leave you with this, from an organisation which has no political allegiance:

https://www.womensaid.org.uk/jess-phillips-mp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

I'm probably being over demanding but it seems like she - along with a lot of other Labour MPs - have forgotten the art of politics. Here was a perfect opportunity for her to say something along the lines of, "I'm getting a panic room installed because I've received credible threats against me and my staff, which is appalling in its own right, but there are 1,000s of women across the country who don't have that opportunity, who are abused every day of their lives, and who this government have robbed of a literal lifeline by forcing the closures of the refuges that could save their lives."

I'm just trying to remember when it was that she last talked about politics rather than herself.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

From 2010, Phillips worked for Women’s Aid.[3] She had a post as a business development manager at the domestic sexual abuse charity, responsible for refuges in Sandwell in the West Midlands.[6][7][8][9] Before her work for the charity, she was employed by an events company within the health sector.[5]

Philipps left the Labour Party during the years of Tony Blair's leadership. "I didn’t rejoin until after the 2010 election", she told Rachel Cooke. Her period at Women's Aid made Phillips "utterly pragmatic… I learned that my principles don’t matter as much as people lives.”[3] In the 2012 local elections, she was elected as a Labour councillor for Longbridge ward, taking the seat from the Conservatives.[10] She was then appointed as the victims champion for Birmingham City Council, lobbying police and criminal justice organisations on behalf of victims.[8][9][11][12] She also served on the West Midlands Police and Crime Panel.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Phillips_(politician" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Can we stop bad mouthing a good woman and very good MP.
For too long women have been shouted down, blamed and abused for everything from out of control children to their own rape (she was asking for it...) expressing a point of view - no matter how loudly - is not an excuse for abuse. Being told to shut up so you don't get abuse is nothing but victim blaming.
Jess is every thing everyone was clamouring for in an MP - outspoken, straight speaking, answers questions without prevarication, normal working class background "just like me" kind of MP.
Odd that now we have that no one likes it.
Yet if she supported JC she would be adored.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

It's all corbyn's fault.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

JonnyT1234 wrote:I'm probably being over demanding but it seems like she - along with a lot of other Labour MPs - have forgotten the art of politics. Here was a perfect opportunity for her to say something along the lines of, "I'm getting a panic room installed because I've received credible threats against me and my staff, which is appalling in its own right, but there are 1,000s of women across the country who don't have that opportunity, who are abused every day of their lives, and who this government have robbed of a literal lifeline by forcing the closures of the refuges that could save their lives."

I'm just trying to remember when it was that she last talked about politics rather than herself.

http://jessphillips.net/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Oh. I remember the days, when humour was permissible.
Not any more though, eh.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Thank you AAW but that link emphasises what I've just said. Something went wrong between May 2016 (last entry of those videos) and today. We all know what. It's a terrible mess that everyone needs to sort out and put behind them, no matter how it all pans out. September and the closure of the resulting fallout can't come soon enough so that one half of the country's MPs can start doing their jobs again.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:From 2010, Phillips worked for Women’s Aid.[3] She had a post as a business development manager at the domestic sexual abuse charity, responsible for refuges in Sandwell in the West Midlands.[6][7][8][9] Before her work for the charity, she was employed by an events company within the health sector.[5]

Philipps left the Labour Party during the years of Tony Blair's leadership. "I didn’t rejoin until after the 2010 election", she told Rachel Cooke. Her period at Women's Aid made Phillips "utterly pragmatic… I learned that my principles don’t matter as much as people lives.”[3] In the 2012 local elections, she was elected as a Labour councillor for Longbridge ward, taking the seat from the Conservatives.[10] She was then appointed as the victims champion for Birmingham City Council, lobbying police and criminal justice organisations on behalf of victims.[8][9][11][12] She also served on the West Midlands Police and Crime Panel.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Phillips_(politician" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Can we stop bad mouthing a good woman and very good MP.
For too long women have been shouted down, blamed and abused for everything from out of control children to their own rape (she was asking for it...) expressing a point of view - no matter how loudly - is not an excuse for abuse. Being told to shut up so you don't get abuse is nothing but victim blaming.
Jess is every thing everyone was clamouring for in an MP - outspoken, straight speaking, answers questions without prevarication, normal working class background "just like me" kind of MP.
Odd that now we have that no one likes it.
Yet if she supported JC she would be adored.
Well said AAW. The rush to bad mouth our MPs is horrible - 2 months since Jo Cox was murdered & not so long ago that people were using the #thankmyMP to highlight how good their MPs were, all forgotten in the clamour to abuse them.

As you know I commented on it the other day but was told (I paraphrase) that it's fine to be nasty about them if that's what people feel. Nice, huh. I didn't then & never will apologise for saying it. Thank you for sticking up for Jess - I agree with every word.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

In case it hasn't been mentioned, Simon Danczuk was released without charge :)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

TR'sGhost wrote: Ah, but a real and electable Labour politician would have travelled in a private first class compartment, not rough it with the plebs. Therefore Corbyn must go!
"Is it true you intend to abolish first class travel, Prime MInister?"
"No, we intend to abolish second class travel - all people deserve first class."

Vote Harry Perkins.
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

https://spartacusnetwork.wordpress.com/ ... t-for-esa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Important consultation on a replacement for ESA In its initial survey, Ekklesia asked respondents about what support they needed in order to be able to work (if work were possible at all) and how the assessment process should occur. The results of this survey have been published in two reports. Contains links to both reports

Also on ESA
Frances Ryan ‏@DrFrancesRyan 5h5 hours ago
Interviewing Owen Smith tomorrow on Labour, disabled people, and social security. Guardian readers! Any questions you'd like answered?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Published on 11 Oct 2014
Corporate interests rather than patient care is driving reform in today's NHS and will divert money away from YOU. And the media are failing to tell you this.
This film is radical. With over a dozen NHS insiders as my witnesses, I will tell the alarming story of how the health service as we know it is being quietly abolished. Almost without our noticing, it’s been replaced by a system modelled on the US in which care is delivered by profit-maximising companies that charge patients for treatment which is anyway to be restricted and reduced. One medical reporter the filmmaker knows claims that health reporting today is so poor because few journalists have real sources inside the NHS. Well, this film will have a riot of medical sources - including one professor, two consultant radiologists, a cancer expert, a public interest lawyer, and several outspoken GPs. What they all have to say will be shocking, unusual and brave. Our doctors will really strike back in this one.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/owe ... 93411.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 91636.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To qualify for a vehicle under the new Personal Independent Payments (Pip) system, a person must not be able to walk for 20 metres. This is less than half the 50-metre limit the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) enforced previously.

By the end of 2016, 35,000 are expected to have lost their vehicles over the course of the year.

“This is having a devastating effect on quality of life and levels of independence,” the report said.