Wednesday 17th August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 17th August 2016

Post by tinybgoat »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Re the vexed Jess Phillips question - can I just say something factual here?

In her frequent admiring media portrayals, she is routinely described as "working class" - indeed I think some on here have done this.

However, the FACTS are that her mother was a senior NHS administrator and her father a teacher.

If that is a "working class" background then about 99% of people in the UK are "working class".

I do not know if she first put this idea into the heads of our beloved MSM or if they just decided it was true anyway (because she has a Brummie accent, perhaps??) but either way, she has done little to disabuse people of this fallacy has she?

And sorry, but the idea she would just be getting praise if she was behaving in an identical way except for supporting Corbyn is simply :)
Which profile specifically has described her as working class? I looked up the recent-ish one in the Graun, which is the only one I know

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... believe-in" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which perfectly accurately describes her background (fatehr a teacher etc).

I never thought she was working class herself. Who has said she was?
She did.
https://mobile.twitter.com/jessphillips ... wsrc%5Etfw
Two can play that game @leftfutures do you make vile suggestions about me because I'm a working class woman?
Though I suppose arguably she could be accusing others of treating her badly, because they view her as such.

In Guardian have seen her parents background (as in origins) described as working class, rather than her own, but it's used to establish 'working class credentials'.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Re the vexed Jess Phillips question - can I just say something factual here?

In her frequent admiring media portrayals, she is routinely described as "working class" - indeed I think some on here have done this.

However, the FACTS are that her mother was a senior NHS administrator and her father a teacher.

If that is a "working class" background then about 99% of people in the UK are "working class".

I do not know if she first put this idea into the heads of our beloved MSM or if they just decided it was true anyway (because she has a Brummie accent, perhaps??) but either way, she has done little to disabuse people of this fallacy has she?

And sorry, but the idea she would just be getting praise if she was behaving in an identical way except for supporting Corbyn is simply :)
Which profile specifically has described her as working class? I looked up the recent-ish one in the Graun, which is the only one I know

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... believe-in" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She did.
Two can play that game @leftfutures do you make vile suggestions about me because I'm a working class woman?
Though I suppose arguably she could be accusing others of treating her badly, because they view her as such.

In Guardian have seen her parents background (as in origins) described as working class, rather than her own, but it's used to establish 'working class credentials'.

Yes - but she does say "because I'm a working class woman" and not "because you think I'm a working class woman". Or is that a character-limit thing (I haven't counted)?

Edited to add a "Y"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: Which profile specifically has described her as working class? I looked up the recent-ish one in the Graun, which is the only one I know

She did.

Yes - but she does say "because I'm a working class woman" and not "because you think I'm a working class woman". Or is that a character-limit thing (I haven't counted)?

Edited to add a "Y"
She says it herself.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I know my place.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Sauce for the goose ?

Or something.
ScreenShot01531.jpg
ScreenShot01531.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 8976 times
ScreenShot01532.jpg
ScreenShot01532.jpg (28.99 KiB) Viewed 8976 times
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

TobyLatimer wrote:Sauce for the goose ?

Or something.
ScreenShot01531.jpg
ScreenShot01532.jpg
Do you know what's wrong with that behavior?

U

;)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

:roll: to the whole is she or is she not self-described working class thing.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Over here in Wales beyond the Ditch of Death, UKIP MEP and Assembly Member Nathan Git (no typo) has decided he will "sit as an independent" having decided he doesn't want to be part of the Welsh Assembly's UKIP group.

This is very very interesting indeed, as so far he hasn't attended often enough to "sit" anywhere, really. We are, as a nation, waiting with bated breath to see whether he bothers to turn up to do his independent sitting.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

Surely anyone who has to sell their labour power to live is, ipso facto, working class. In an economic way at least.

What I've found interesting for a very long time is the presentation of the "middle class", especially in the media and with many politicians. Who lump teachers in with any multi-millionaire who hasn't got a title yet then pretend the interests of the teacher and millionaire are the same because they're both "middle class".

It's a useful propaganda tool, convincing "white collar" workers three salary cheques away from penury that they and Cameron, Osborne et al are all in it together.

As for Ms Phillips, as far as I can see she's little more than a noisy, ambitious self-serving ego on legs. With no gravitas, no depth and no sense of personal dignity either. Who would do well to remember that those who are now so enthusiastically following and publicising her every word will be equally happy to use her words and behaviour to tear her down the moment they see an advantage for themselves in doing so.

As the fate of Simon Danzcuk so clearly demonstrates, the journey from today's media darling and worthy and entertaining independently-minded speaker of the truth to pariah status and national joke can be a very short one.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TR'sGhost wrote:Surely anyone who has to sell their labour power to live is, ipso facto, working class. In an economic way at least.

What I've found interesting for a very long time is the presentation of the "middle class", especially in the media and with many politicians. Who lump teachers in with any multi-millionaire who hasn't got a title yet then pretend the interests of the teacher and millionaire are the same because they're both "middle class".

It's a useful propaganda tool, convincing "white collar" workers three salary cheques away from penury that they and Cameron, Osborne et al are all in it together.

As for Ms Phillips, as far as I can see she's little more than a noisy, ambitious self-serving ego on legs. With no gravitas, no depth and no sense of personal dignity either. Who would do well to remember that those who are now so enthusiastically following and publicising her every word will be equally happy to use her words and behaviour to tear her down the moment they see an advantage for themselves in doing so.

As the fate of Simon Danzcuk so clearly demonstrates, the journey from today's media darling and worthy and entertaining independently-minded speaker of the truth to pariah status and national joke can be a very short one.
A very interesting and entertaining book 'Watching the English' - sorry I can't remember the author - explains the English class system beautifully. As far as I can remember she says there are three classes. Working, middle and upper but there are subdivisions for the working and middle and no matter how we might elevate our status within the system, we give ourselves away by unintended actions.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

ephemerid wrote: If anyone who is supporting Smith's current policies thinks he will get any more support than Corbyn has, they're mad. Smith's policies are very like Corbyns' (with the exception of Trident); and Corbyn's are not a million miles away from Ed Milband's - and he wasn't supported either.
I've been thinking that. If Corbyn's views are so dangerously and outrageously left wing he and those like him have to be destroyed utterly, which is what the media and "senior Labour figures" have been constantly saying for a year now, then how on earth are they going to support Smith when he puts forward very similar policies?

Unless, of course, the root of the whole thing boils down to the insistence the UK must have nuclear weapons and provide uncritical support of the Israeli government and state apparatus, right or wrong.

And the wearing of ties and expensive suits of course.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Found this while I was researching...from British Social Attitudes 2006.
what has changed is the balance between those calling themselves middle class and those calling themselves working class. In 1964 for every person who called themselves middle class there were 3:1 who said they were working class. Now that ratio is just 1:1.5. In short, while the incidence of class identities overall has not declined, the proportion with a working class identity has. But we clearly should not mistake the latter for the former. The decline in working class identity almost certainly reflects the change over the past 40 years in the shape of the ‘objective’ class structure, as defined by the proportion in manual and non-manual jobs. Even so, it is notable that, whereas sociologists typically claim that the proportion of manual jobs has now declined to much less than 50 per cent of the labour force, the proportion who (either prompted or unprompted) identify themselves as working class is still in a large majority.

Our qualitative interviews help explain why some people who are currently in middle-class professions nevertheless consider themselves to be working class. For many people their class identity is still a ‘given’ identity that was formed when they were growing up; as a result, people who grew up in working class families continue to think of themselves as working class even though in objective terms they themselves may have been upwardly mobile into the middle class

Accountant and manager working in city of London – retired office worker – teacher – university graduate (explained why it might be difficult to cast off a given identity and replace it with an individually chosen one that would appear to reflect more accurately their current circumstances.)

There does not, then, appear to have been any long-term secular drop in the incidence of class identities What has happened is that fewer people now identify with the working class while more do so with the middle class. Nevertheless, the influence of ‘given’ class identify still outstrips the proportion of the population that objectively have a working class occupation.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

If Labour seems to have some issues right now, I don't think they've reached this stage yet.

Nathan Gill leaves UKIP assembly group to sit as independent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-37105782
UKIP Wales leader Nathan Gill has announced he is leaving the party's group in the Welsh Assembly to sit as an independent AM for North Wales.

But he said he was not leaving the party and would remain a UKIP MEP.

Mr Gill said he was leaving the UKIP Senedd group as "infighting" had become a "distraction" from its work.

UKIP group leader Neil Hamilton said he did not think Mr Gill's decision would make "much difference", claiming: "We don't see him much in the assembly."
Ooh, bitchy!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Crikey. Is knowing who Ant and Dec are important to your politics? Once more I have to side with Corbyn.
I saw them once. Didn't like them, thought they were a poor imitation of Morecombe and Wise and have been successful in avoiding them ever since.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Indeed it was crucial that had to be asked.I am surprised that they haven't had a piss up the wall the highest competition,as far as I know,or discussions as to the relevant importance of length and girth.Getting to the nub of the question.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

ohsocynical wrote:Crikey. Is knowing who Ant and Dec are important to your politics? Once more I have to side with Corbyn.
I saw them once. Didn't like them, thought they were a poor imitation of Morecombe and Wise and have been successful in avoiding them ever since.
Ohso , having been out of the Uk for nearly 40 years, and not watching any TV apart from the occasional youtube, I have not a clue as to who Ant/Dec are .

Bliss !

It's a sign as to how low Brit polys and journos have sunk that so many of them play that silly sort of game.

The nearest we get is interrogating them on the price of a baguette
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 15-to-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Social Security Advisory Committee annual report 2015 to 2016

"The absence of any actual bloody evidence and use of secondary legislation to avoid proper scrutiny underpinning Government policy has been of significant concern" (non poetic licence)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CqEJugeWgAEOu1y.jpg
CqEJugeWgAEOu1y.jpg (49.64 KiB) Viewed 8746 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

DWP, Contempt, & Hunger
Trying to keep calm ain’t working!
This morning I read how the online benefit payment system crashed in East Lothian, leaving hundreds to resort to food banks. DWP said there was a “small-scale problem”.

https://christinahogg.wordpress.com/201 ... pt-hunger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

About this here Anton Deck chap
ScreenShot01535.jpg
ScreenShot01535.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 8732 times
ScreenShot01536.jpg
ScreenShot01536.jpg (70.77 KiB) Viewed 8732 times
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

I'd have to be on drugs to be even remotely entertained by the artist formerly known as PJ & Duncan.

Still, I'm apparently in the minority. Each to their own and all that.
Last edited by TobyLatimer on Wed 17 Aug, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

If you’ve never heard of Labour Tomorrow, you need to read this

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/08/1 ... read-this/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Clarke (remember him and that?) looking to be an official bully. I wonder what Michael Green will say about this?
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tory bullying inquiry finds 13 alleged victims of Mark Clarke
Investigation carried out by Clifford Chance also uncovers six allegations of sexual assault against ex-Tory candidate

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

Local CLP nomination meeting ( Sheffield Heeley ) - the one I didn't go to and as suggested - I do regret it...
Not such a landslide is it ?

Dear

I am emailing to inform you to inform you of the result of the Nomination Meeting held last Friday.

The results were as follows:

Jeremy Corbyn 61 votes

Owen Smith 57 votes

Spoilt papers 2

This result has been forwarded to the Labour Party nationally.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The local MP is one of those who initially supported Corbyn and later went off him, isn't she? That might well have influenced some.

And your vote would have made it even closer!
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:Tory bullying inquiry finds 13 alleged victims of Mark Clarke
Investigation carried out by Clifford Chance also uncovers six allegations of sexual assault against ex-Tory candidate

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The findings of the investigation, conducted by the law firm Clifford Chance, found there was no written published procedure or commonly adopted practice for party members to raise a complaint.
As incompetent at running their party as they are the country then? I'm shocked etc...

Worth pointing out that if a school failed to have a written procedure, they'd be in special measures very quickly.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

This is a far better trailer than the last
" My greatest achievement -- Tony Blair and New Labour ."

SELL OFF NHS -PRIVATISING THE NHS

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weather breaking here so off to the beach before the rain !
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

I had a phone call from my 'almost mp',Oliver Coppard last week (which was a surprise), asking about voting intentions, how I voted last time (Yvette Cooper)
and giving his view as Owen Smith being best way forward for Labour, etc.
The spiel is similar to emails/announcements by various MPs, giving the appearance of being based on a 'pro forma' and part of a co-ordinated campaign.If so must be quite a big operation,has anyone else had phone calls from local MPs/candidates, or was it just a random sample?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

J Wallis Martin ‏@J_Wallis_Martin 9m9 minutes ago

Report finds graduate salaries do not justify tuition fee increase unless students went to Oxbridge or are doctors
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://newsthrive.com/labour-pledge-on- ... n_7264635/

I really hope Labour didn't use the 'pledge' word!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

"There is nothing to write about, you say. Well then, write and let me know just this - that there is nothing to write about; or tell me in the good old style if you are well."

(Pliny the Younger, Letters)

Well, Pliny me young mate, consider it done!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Angela Rayner, MP for Ashton-under-Lyne, has come out fighting against the Tory government this week. Her latest policy announcement on education is a direct appeal to young voters. The plan may improve Labour’s already strong support from this demographic. And it shows how switched on Jeremy Corbyn’s ‘rookie’ team is.

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/08/17/bril ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 2h2 hours ago

So far today, there have been 21 newspaper articles attacking Corbyn for not knowing who Ant & Dec were, including 7 from pro-Labour outlets
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

PorFavor wrote:"There is nothing to write about, you say. Well then, write and let me know just this - that there is nothing to write about; or tell me in the good old style if you are well."

(Pliny the Younger, Letters)

Well, Pliny me young mate, consider it done!

Ah - but..... what I must know is this: did the young whippersnapper number his pages? If not, it's a bit poor, Por.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 2h2 hours ago

So far today, there have been 21 newspaper articles attacking Corbyn for not knowing who Ant & Dec were, including 7 from pro-Labour outlets
I'm not a supporter but, if the above is correct, I despair.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:

Dumbing down is well underway.

Edited because I forgot how to spell.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Wed 17 Aug, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

the decline of the working class has been mirrored by the rise in the family friendly gastro pub.
am looking forward to that reset button being located.
forgive me for any undue offence caused, but am getting to the point where the eggshells are starting to hurt my feet.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

The ever-lyrical Eddie Butler, when reciting a little poem for the Six Nations coverage, based it on the size of Wales and stuff that rhymes with same.
Footage of deflated fans accompanied the "sighs of Wales" etc. The "thighs of Wales", naturally, belong to George North.

As rugby players go, he's a bit of an ubermensch. Now his fiance Becky James - no slouch in the thigh department herself - is a medallist in Rio.
Then there's the mega-ubermenschen, Ms.Trott and Mr.Kenny getting married too.....

I can't help wondering what their children will be like. They really do owe it to the world to have some.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well.

Two G4S police control room staff fired over 999 'test calls'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... test-calls
Two police control room staff have been fired following an investigation into claims they made hundreds of 999 calls at quiet times to improve their perceived performance.

The workers, who were employed by G4S Public Services and worked for Lincolnshire police, were among five suspended as part of an inquiry into “test calls” earlier this year.

Two G4S employees resigned while under investigation, the firm said. They quit before disciplinary hearings, which took place at the end of July. The fifth returned to work after being cleared of any wrongdoing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Deleted:Subject to a Supreme Court Appeal.
Do we have further information regarding the Appeal?

I was stalled here, reading the morning's thread, HindleA, maybe I got a little farther. I don't remember reading anything more. Thoughts of the Supreme Court Appeal sent me off on a different tangent. Of course, the Supreme Court Appeal you've alluded to isn't likely the Appeal I thought of and I knew you'd know that. You'd know, HindleA, because you're attentive, canny and have wise ancestors. I tried to get back to the thread in order to read it several times today. Didn't happen.

How are you?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Incidentally, this:
G4S Public Services
needs to be stamped out.

There is no way that outsourcing personnel will ever be cheaper than employing them directly except where they are being paid less than they were before or by employing fewer staff. And when budgets are being squeezed we simply can't afford to just give the private sector profits like this for doing nothing more than was being done before.

A pox on 'public sector reform' and its enthusiasts.
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Wed 17 Aug, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

James Mee ‏@White_Wolf_2016 30m30 minutes ago
A TV generation raised on a diet of Ant and Dec and X factor, Ask them the name of their Euro MP they haven't a clueJames Mee added,

Call Eine Now! @KrustyAllslopp
People in UK dying of starvation. Ignore that & concentrate on who can tell the diff b/tween Ant & Dec #VictoriaLIVE https://twitter.com/basicincome_uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

PorFavor wrote:

Prepare for an immediate plunge into the Slough of Despond, Por - he didn't recognise Taylor Swift, either. :o

(Who he?)

I've been watching some of the footage from that show. Ms.Derbyshire has gone way down in my estimation. From a low start.

No wonder some academics have written to the BBC demanding a meeting to discuss obvious political bias in its news programmes.

Owen Smith was a SPAD for Paul Murphy (now Baron Murphy) when he was S of S for Wales then Northern Ireland between 2002 - 05.
Did SPADs really work on the peace talks? I am genuinely interested to know. The role of SPADs has changed quite a lot - but they weren't supposed to do anything other than offer advice prior to 2005. If Smith did that, it's certainly useful experience.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Prepare for an immediate plunge into the Slough of Despond, Por - he didn't recognise Taylor Swift, either. :o

(Who he?)

I've been watching some of the footage from that show. Ms.Derbyshire has gone way down in my estimation. From a low start.

No wonder some academics have written to the BBC demanding a meeting to discuss obvious political bias in its news programmes.

Owen Smith was a SPAD for Paul Murphy (now Baron Murphy) when he was S of S for Wales then Northern Ireland between 2002 - 05.
Did SPADs really work on the peace talks? I am genuinely interested to know. The role of SPADs has changed quite a lot - but they weren't supposed to do anything other than offer advice prior to 2005. If Smith did that, it's certainly useful experience.
Genuine ask. Who's Taylor Swift?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Taylor Swift? Pass.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Angela Rayner, MP for Ashton-under-Lyne, has come out fighting against the Tory government this week. Her latest policy announcement on education is a direct appeal to young voters. The plan may improve Labour’s already strong support from this demographic. And it shows how switched on Jeremy Corbyn’s ‘rookie’ team is.

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/08/17/bril ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've met Angela Rayner. We weren't introduced but we were at the Manchester Peoples' Museum for a Labour Women’s Network social. I like her a lot.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

ohsocynical wrote:Angela Rayner, MP for Ashton-under-Lyne, has come out fighting against the Tory government this week. Her latest policy announcement on education is a direct appeal to young voters. The plan may improve Labour’s already strong support from this demographic. And it shows how switched on Jeremy Corbyn’s ‘rookie’ team is.

Anyone remember me tipping Rayner for big things? ;-)