Wednesday 17th August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Re: Wednesday 17th August 2016

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Female pop starlet. American or Canadian. I think. Never intentionally or knowingly heard anything of hers but I imagine it's of Justin Timberlake, ehem, calibre.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Female pop starlet. American or Canadian. I think. Never intentionally or knowingly heard anything of hers but I imagine it's of Justin Timberlake, ehem, calibre.
No I'm not having that. Timberlake, while being a bit irritating, is really very talented IMHO.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

He can dance. His music/singing - a matter of taste. His acting. Nothing special but also not so, so terrible that you'd never watch him again.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
Incidentally, this:
G4S Public Services
needs to be stamped out.

There is no way that outsourcing personnel will ever be cheaper than employing them directly except where they are being paid less than they were before or by employing fewer staff. And when budgets are being squeezed we simply can't afford to just give the private sector profits like this for doing nothing more than was being done before.

A pox on 'public sector reform' and its enthusiasts.

Indeed, Roger.

What worries me more - especially in emergency work, of which I know a thing or several - is the quality of the staff.

I was involved (albeit a very long time ago) in Major Incident planning. The people who dealt with comms - for fire brigades, police, ambulance services, even the army - were considered the lynchpin of the whole system; without well-trained and very committed staff manning the command centres and all the peripheral stuff it would have been impossible to co-ordinate an effective MI response.

People who respond to emergency calls, even in ordinary circumstances, need to be part of the service they work within. For that, you need excellent training and quite a wide knowledge base. This stuff is not like parcel logistics - lives are at stake a lot of the time.

I doubt that G4S or their ilk train their people - or pay their people - properly. This targets nonsense shows that they are under pressure to produce the stats that their managers want, and I daresay their pay depends on it.

Remember the ridiculous situation with the London Olympics when G4S couldn't recruit (let alone train) enough people to work on security at the games? The few who bothered to turn up were expected to work long hours for crap pay, no real training, appalling accommodation, and they were supposed to qualify after the event for some sort of security qualification.

It was never a good idea to outsource work like this. It must be a nightmare for the emergency staff who have to deal with it.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

JonnyT1234 wrote:He can dance. His music/singing - a matter of taste. His acting. Nothing special but also not so, so terrible that you'd never watch him again.
I would add, clearly influencing other artists, for example Ed Sheeran.

He's not in my all time lists, but songs like 'Cry Me a River' are really rather compelling if you like that kind of thing ;-)
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Note that the people involved here were formerly performing the role within the public sector then transferred to G4S. The issue wasn't their ability, it was the (yet again) perverse incentives of the target culture that they had been set that was the source of the problem. That is, hit your targets no matter what or how.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

JonnyT1234 wrote:He can dance. His music/singing - a matter of taste. His acting. Nothing special but also not so, so terrible that you'd never watch him again.
Hah!

That reminds me of Fred Astaire, who summarised his talents thus - "Can't sing. Can't act. Slightly balding. Can dance a bit".
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Note that the people involved here were formerly performing the role within the public sector then transferred to G4S. The issue wasn't their ability, it was the (yet again) perverse incentives of the target culture that they had been set that was the source of the problem. That is, hit your targets no matter what or how.
Fair enough, in this case.

Although I think my point stands elsewhere.....just look at the 111 "service".

No, actually, don't. Just pray you never need it.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Your point is still valid. One assumes that the job they were doing before being forced into G4S was a good one.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:Female pop starlet. American or Canadian. I think. Never intentionally or knowingly heard anything of hers but I imagine it's of Justin Timberlake, ehem, calibre.
No I'm not having that. Timberlake, while being a bit irritating, is really very talented IMHO.
I agree with you! I'm quite a fan. Oh - have you seen his "Dick in a Box" self-parody on Youtube? It's brilliant (it's been around for some time now, though).
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

for some reason inspired to look up anagram for curmudgeonly:

Lyceum Ground seemed appropriate given our recent outbreak of classical languages.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Channing Tatum
He can dance. And I do like a nice bit of hip hop violin.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

And he was really rather good in the film about "Facebook" (the name of which escapes me at the moment).
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Born literally classless die classless in both senses never bothered with such affectatious nonsense" he did no knowing harm that'll do.
Walt Whitman - he's one of my favourite poets
Walt Whitman wrote: "This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks,
stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God,
have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or
number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families,
read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at
school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul..."
http://www.bartleby.com/39/45.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Note that the people involved here were formerly performing the role within the public sector then transferred to G4S. The issue wasn't their ability, it was the (yet again) perverse incentives of the target culture that they had been set that was the source of the problem. That is, hit your targets no matter what or how.
It's impossible to care alone for a half dozen people unable to get their needs met unassisted.
the care worker goes to jail
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

citizenJA wrote:
It's impossible to care alone for a half dozen people unable to get their needs met unassisted.
Indeed. Workers set impossible to meet targets by management. Told they must hit them or else. Can only hit them by fiddling the system. Fiddle the system. They get fired. Management still there, still telling their replacements that they must hit the same impossible to hit targets.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Haven't played this yet, because struggling with phone, but this may help re: Who's Taylor Swift.
(Apologies in advance)

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/love-is ... lor-swift/
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Channing Tatum
I always thought he was a she (having never seen or heard him). Coming here is an education!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
HindleA wrote:Born literally classless die classless in both senses never bothered with such affectatious nonsense" he did no knowing harm that'll do.
Oh I was definitely born working class. No mistaking it...Brilliant it was. Wish I could have it all over again, and that my kids and their kids could have experienced it.
Events outside my control handed me a world of hurt without resources, health and help within a short period of time. My survival cost me dear. I didn't hurt another in response and so didn't offend my soul. As long as I'm able to know right from wrong, I'm accountable for my choices, everyone is, but I'm writing about me. I know what it is to go hungry. It was the least of my troubles at the time. Love, safety and enough is a good time. It's good to know what loss is, surviving it without becoming a monster. It's good to find out, in case it wasn't known before, all people need others, lives depend upon others.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
I always thought he was a she (having never seen or heard him). Coming here is an education!
Are you getting muddled with Tatum ONeal? I was. :?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

She's one of the few names I do know. Daughter of Ryan. I think!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Indeed. Workers set impossible to meet targets by management. Told they must hit them or else. Can only hit them by fiddling the system. Fiddle the system. They get fired. Management still there, still telling their replacements that they must hit the same impossible to hit targets.
Thank you for understanding this.

The law is imperfect. An apprentice under the age of twenty is dead because their workplace was void of proper safety equipment. The workplace owned by a billionaire is made to pay a fine of less than thirty thousand pounds. A care worker faces jail time rushed off her feet in a workplace without requisite safety equipment she's not responsible for inadvertently involving her causing the death of someone she loved.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

But when researchers pitched each of the Labour candidates against Ms May, asking, “Who would you rather be Prime Minister?” both Mr Corbyn and Mr Smith scored the backing of just 29 per cent of the public, with Ms May taking 71 per cent on both occasions.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 94051.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour have completely blown it. Sorry.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Oh I was definitely born working class. No mistaking it...Brilliant it was. Wish I could have it all over again, and that my kids and their kids could have experienced it.
Events outside my control handed me a world of hurt without resources, health and help within a short period of time. My survival cost me dear. I didn't hurt another in response and so didn't offend my soul. As long as I'm able to know right from wrong, I'm accountable for my choices, everyone is, but I'm writing about me. I know what it is to go hungry. It was the least of my troubles at the time. Love, safety and enough is a good time. It's good to know what loss is, surviving it without becoming a monster. It's good to find out, in case it wasn't known before, all people need others, lives depend upon others.
(my bold)

Apologies, Ohso, I agree with you completely! I don't think my post was clear. I understand my writing isn't the same thing but I've lived and read enough convincing me having relied
upon ones' efforts, finding loving others helping in mutual endeavours is an excellent education no one should be exempt from learning and living. That's my opinion, of course.

I don't like suffering and/or perpetual poverty. In these times, there's no reason for them other than deliberate cruelty and/or logistics failure.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
But when researchers pitched each of the Labour candidates against Ms May, asking, “Who would you rather be Prime Minister?” both Mr Corbyn and Mr Smith scored the backing of just 29 per cent of the public, with Ms May taking 71 per cent on both occasions.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 94051.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, I'm sorry too.
shit
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:She's one of the few names I do know. Daughter of Ryan. I think!
Yep, Ryan O'Neil. Papermoon - good film they both starred in.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
TR'sGhost wrote:Surely anyone who has to sell their labour power to live is, ipso facto, working class. In an economic way at least.

What I've found interesting for a very long time is the presentation of the "middle class", especially in the media and with many politicians. Who lump teachers in with any multi-millionaire who hasn't got a title yet then pretend the interests of the teacher and millionaire are the same because they're both "middle class".

It's a useful propaganda tool, convincing "white collar" workers three salary cheques away from penury that they and Cameron, Osborne et al are all in it together.

As for Ms Phillips, as far as I can see she's little more than a noisy, ambitious self-serving ego on legs. With no gravitas, no depth and no sense of personal dignity either. Who would do well to remember that those who are now so enthusiastically following and publicising her every word will be equally happy to use her words and behaviour to tear her down the moment they see an advantage for themselves in doing so.

As the fate of Simon Danzcuk so clearly demonstrates, the journey from today's media darling and worthy and entertaining independently-minded speaker of the truth to pariah status and national joke can be a very short one.
A very interesting and entertaining book 'Watching the English' - sorry I can't remember the author - explains the English class system beautifully. As far as I can remember she says there are three classes. Working, middle and upper but there are subdivisions for the working and middle and no matter how we might elevate our status within the system, we give ourselves away by unintended actions.
Kate Fox
Doris Lessing good too - In Pursuit of the English
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Gisela Stuart, the Labour MP who co-chaired the campaign to leave the EU, has been accused of hypocrisy after she called on politicians “to be humane” and guarantee the rights of 3.5 million European citizens living in the UK.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ens-rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This woman is beyond my understanding.
The politician, who is now chairing an inquiry into the practicalities of protecting the rights of foreign workers, said it was critical that Britain was a “welcoming country” in the wake of the Brexit vote.
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Wed 17 Aug, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

citizenJA wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Yeah, I'm sorry too.
shit
Not going to be an election for four years. Four years is a very long time in politics.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Some good anagrams though:

Agitate slurs is one.
Tiara gutless probably my favourite.
though I might look into getting an assault tiger. just in case.

(many thanks to earlier post introducing me to the world of anagram generators :dance: )
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

frightful_oik wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote: Labour have completely blown it. Sorry.
Yeah, I'm sorry too.
shit
Not going to be an election for four years. Four years is a very long time in politics.
true.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TR'sGhost wrote:
ephemerid wrote: If anyone who is supporting Smith's current policies thinks he will get any more support than Corbyn has, they're mad. Smith's policies are very like Corbyns' (with the exception of Trident); and Corbyn's are not a million miles away from Ed Milband's - and he wasn't supported either.
I've been thinking that. If Corbyn's views are so dangerously and outrageously left wing he and those like him have to be destroyed utterly, which is what the media and "senior Labour figures" have been constantly saying for a year now, then how on earth are they going to support Smith when he puts forward very similar policies?

Unless, of course, the root of the whole thing boils down to the insistence the UK must have nuclear weapons and provide uncritical support of the Israeli government and state apparatus, right or wrong.

And the wearing of ties and expensive suits of course.
I think Corbyn is a egregiously poor administrator. He operates as a loner in the House and that won't make a Labour
government successful. Too many MPs of differing parts of the Parliamentary Labour Party aren't able to work with him.
It's not all a mean-spirited effort to destroy one Labour leader. Any failure of Corbyn's is every Labour MPs' failure too along
with the rest of the country requiring a fair Labour government. It's a pity they all couldn't be brought 'round a big table but
given the real impediments in place preventing that, it's not surprising it hasn't happened. The impediments I'm thinking of
are the Parliamentary system itself. Historical protocols hanging everyone up inside of that building full of drafts and contention.
Psychotherapy for the Labour party may help us all out here. Anyone know of a good moderating team of social scientists/counsellors?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

He has a very good dance number in Hail Caesar!, the Cohen's last film.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

refitman wrote:
He has a very good dance number in Hail Caesar!, the Cohen's last film.
He does indeed.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Michael Moore: Trump does not want to be president
The documentary-maker claims a source told him that Donald Trump only ran as a negotiating tactic for his TV work and has been ‘surprised’ by his own success

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/a ... -president" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, I've thought this awhile now. Remembering the ashy-grey, stricken faces of Boris and Gove post EU referendum, Trump finally falls to his knees and pleads everyone vote Clinton.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted.Subect to the Permissable Deviation(False Conciousness and Related Matters)Act
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 18 Aug, 2016 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

tinybgoat wrote:Haven't played this yet, because struggling with phone, but this may help re: Who's Taylor Swift.
(Apologies in advance)

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/love-is ... lor-swift/

just had a look with laptop & couldn't get any sense from the link,
but found it elsewhere,
it's actually quite good!
-Well the video is, not sure about the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89yxVQMgXRo

Edit:-couldn't get link to work
Edited again, to add, it was entertaining until I realised there's other similar videos, now finding it disturbing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-net ... tics-shame" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Homelessness shames our country – we need to tackle the root causes
Clive Betts

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... st-say-mps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New homelessness strategy is a must, say MPs
All-party committee of MPs says law must force councils to provide proper support for all people in danger of homelessness

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... shed-16-17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Conclusions and Recommendations
Other recommendations, conclusions and findings include:

The impact of welfare reforms of recent years has increased pressure on the levels of homelessness.
The Secretary of State should write to all local authorities to reiterate their duties when placing families outside their areas.
The Government should review the level of refuge and hostel accommodation and consider providing additional resources for further provision with regard to victims of domestic abuse.
The Government must takes steps as a matter of urgency to improve data collection on homelessness and implement the recommendations of the UK Statistics Authority.
The Committee does not advocate the abolition of the priority need criterion in England.
Housing benefit recipients should have the option of their benefit being paid directly to the landlord to reduce likelihood of arrears and increase landlord confidence.
Landlords should be encouraged to offer longer Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreements, which the tenants allowed to break tenancy early without penalty.
The Government should consider allowing housing benefit to be used for costs in supported housing for a short period of time to facilitate the transition from homelessness to employment.
Mr Blackman’s Homelessness Reduction Bill seeks to amend the Housing Act 1996 and is expected to be published shortly. Its focus will be on preventing people becoming homeless by giving housing authorities the power to intervene earlier. It introduces new duties to ensure proper advisory services are offered to applicants and look at creating statutory guidance on homelessness and at tightening up local connection definitions. The Committee hopes to take evidence on the Bill in September
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... melessness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For knee protection purposes ,without signatories.

A year ago we launched the Labour Campaign to End Homelessness (LCEH), asking the Labour party to include, in its next manifesto, a pledge to end homelessness – something it has never before done. This is not a pipe dream. Leading homelessness charities such as Crisis and Shelter believe that we can end homelessness too. Yet only Labour can deliver on this in government. Under the last Labour government, homelessness fell substantially, but it was not eradicated. Moreover, homelessness under the Tories is soaring, with rough sleeping in London more than twice what it was in 2010, according to Department for Communities and Local Government statistics.

So far, we have been grateful for the support of many Labour politicians, including James Murray (deputy mayor of London for housing), and our patrons, Teresa Pearce MP (shadow minister for housing) and Tom Copley AM (Labour housing spokesman, GLA). However, we now want Labour to make formal its support for our aim of ending homelessness. To make a Labour pledge real, we ask the party to consider five key policies which will go towards eradicating homelessness. We also ask that the next Labour government enacts these policies in the order set out below:

1 A government-led national structure involving all of the major organisations, including statutory and community sector organisations, dedicated to ending homelessness.

2 Implement more efficient preventative measures and early intervention programmes to stop homelessness becoming entrenched and end the cycle.

3 Create a more effective registration system and information database of rough sleepers and hidden homeless to begin the process of rehousing.

The stories you need to read, in one handy email
Read more
4 Enshrine the right to a home for everyone and begin the process of rehousing all of the UK’s homeless population, including those with complex needs.

5 Launch a substantial and sustainable programme of public and social house building.

These are times of huge upheaval for our country and we believe Labour is best placed to unite the nation. Radical, socialist solutions are needed urgently to address homelessness and all of the ugly manifestations of grotesque inequality in this country. In the words of Aneurin Bevan, spoken on the eve of the 1945 general election: “We have been the dreamers. We have been the sufferers. Now we are the builders.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The reassuring peal of the church bells announcing it is five o'clock gently welcoming the start of a new day
The ######g clang waking you up mid finally getting to slumber and being in mid dream

Delete as appropriate.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I wouldn't have minded but I was leading in the underwater trampoline competition.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted to maintain deletion consistency.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Typical of you, A, to put a damper on things. Oh, you mean you didn't.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... quirements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regulation
GCE qualification-level conditions and requirements

Regulation
GCSE, GCE, principal learning and project code of practice

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... f-practice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;