Thursday 18th August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 18th August 2016

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 18th August 2016

Post by frog222 »

Thanks to CitizenJA for this

michael-moore-donald-trump-does-not-want-to-be-president

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/a ... -president" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Several weeks ago I had the odd thought that Trump would tell us all that he’d only been kidding and resign from his candidacy .
” “Maybe the meltdown of the past three weeks was no accident,” writes Moore. “Maybe it’s all part of his new strategy to get the hell out of a race he never intended to see through to its end anyway.”

Moore finally suggests that Trump would give up the Republican nomination rather than lose on election night.

“Trust me, I’ve met the guy. Spent an afternoon with him,” he writes. “He would rather invite the Clintons AND the Obamas to his next wedding than have that scarlet letter (“L”) branded on his forehead seconds after the last polls have closed on that night.”
An increasingly crazy world ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

A distraction from Labour's woes provided by Ukip.

Nathan Gill wants to stay on as a Ukip MEP, and leader of the Welsh kippers.
But he has issued a statement to say he has 'decided to break away from the Ukip group in the Assembly' and wants to be an Independent AM.

His record of attendance and voting at the Assembly has been shockingly low, so may be best for his constituents if he just resigned as an AM.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... e-11760815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hard not to think Trump is some form of performance art.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

yahyah wrote:Hard not to think Trump is some form of performance art.
Fiction trumping reality !
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Or maybe an experiment set up by psychologists to find out how susceptible voters can be to charlatans.
Even if he drops out, it surely can't be good for the Republicans to have allowed him to get so far.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Think of the most cringeworthy events in one's own life , and multiply by the millions of suckers who were taken in by him .

You need two parties to maintain the continued fiction of a functioning democracy, so in this time of national emergency both parties might agree to cooperate .

The CIA could oblige in manufacturing the cover-story by faking a serious heart condition for example .

Or alternatively a 'natural' demise .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

We (ohsocynical?) mentioned this the other day -
Union dispute disrupts Labour conference preparations

Talks between GMB union and only bidder for conference security contract broke down this week

No security arrangements are yet in place for Labour’s annual conference in Liverpool next month after talks broke down between the GMB union and the one remaining bidder for the contract.

The GMB told the Guardian it had asked Labour to cut its ties with Showsec, the Liverpool company lined up to provide conference security after the party’s national executive committee voted to boycott G4S.

It leaves the conference still without a confirmed security provider less than six weeks before it is due to open. (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... eparations
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Not so long ago Moore was saying that he thought Trump would become president (he'd predicted Trump would get the republican nomination) and outlined his thought process.

On a professional level, a Trump presidency would be a goldmine for Moore!

And morning all.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

Talks between GMB union and only bidder for conference security contract broke down this week

No security arrangements are yet in place for Labour’s annual conference in Liverpool next month after talks broke down between the GMB union and the one remaining bidder for the contract.

The GMB told the Guardian it had asked Labour to cut its ties with Showsec, the Liverpool company lined up to provide conference security after the party’s national executive committee voted to boycott G4S.

It leaves the conference still without a confirmed security provider less than six weeks before it is due to open. (Guardian)

Sounds like a provisional MOU between the union and the company to get through the conference period would suffice. Bad PR all round if it doesn't go ahead. I blame Corbyn ;)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

Sounds like a provisional MOU between the union and the company to get through the conference period would suffice. Bad PR all round if it doesn't go ahead. I blame Corbyn ;)

It would be a bit of a disaster. I thought it was all sorted out. That's what I read the other day, anyhow.

Edited to add -

Forgot to say - a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) appears, from the article, to be a non-starter at least for the present.

Edited (again)

How many commas?
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 18 Aug, 2016 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
discordantharmony
Backbencher

Post by discordantharmony »

Good Morning. WRT Trump, I think I read somewhere that even if he pulls out of the race and the GOP replace him, that his name would still be on the ballot.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

A level results day...I took mine at college while I was working as I made a complete mess of my O levels first time round and ended up retaking/taking new subjects (I blame the West Indies tour of 1976 as a distraction).

When my results seemed to be taking a long time to come I phoned the college from work on the only outside line in the office (those were the days...).

"Have you got a pen?"
"Hang on" (thinking she was going to give me a number to call)
"Right...Accounts etc"
"Oh. Thanks!"

None of this turning up en masse and jumping in the air for cameras. Very low key.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

discordantharmony wrote:Good Morning. WRT Trump, I think I read somewhere that even if he pulls out of the race and the GOP replace him, that his name would still be on the ballot.
Correct. In reality, it is too late to withdraw.

The only thing that could change the ballot now is death (in which case, it is possible the election could be delayed - Congress has the power to effect that)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's a polite description of what Trump is!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: The only thing that could change the ballot now is death
Spoken with the rasping delivery popular in trailers for trashy American action films . . . .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/adult-social-care-forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As part of our inquiry on adult social care, the Communities and Local Government Committee would like to hear about your experiences in our web forum. This will help us understand the challenges faced and focus our inquiry on the key issues.

Inquiry: Adult social care
Communities and Local Government Committee
Get involved
If you have personal experience of receiving care and support, caring and being part of the workforce, we want to hear from you.

The Committee will invite local authorities, care providers and Government ministers to give evidence at public sessions. It also plans to hear from organisations representing carers and care users.

The web forum closes on Friday 2 September 2016.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... d-carers-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... roviders-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Written

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... sion-form/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 18 Aug, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

frog222 wrote:Or alternatively a 'natural' demise .
Attacked and killed by his own hair, "I just couldn't take being glued to such an idiot any more, yer honour!"

I'd believe it.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: The only thing that could change the ballot now is death
Yeah, but only if we saw the certificate. And even then... we wouldn't believe.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

"Everything she does is theatrical..."

[youtube]qUGT30gGtiI[/youtube]
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.inusanews.com/article/475334 ... nton-trump
Green Party candidate Jill Stein says she has a chance to become the next U.S. president, despite the big task of overcoming what is largely a two-party system when it comes to national elections.
In 2000, Green Party candidate Ralph Nader won just under 3 percent of the vote in an election that many believed Democrat Al Gore lost to Republican George Bush because those voters chose Nader. When asked about that prospect this year, Stein did not see her candidacy that way. “Not splitting the vote, but potentially flipping the vote so that we who are the underdog deserve to be the top dog and actually could be the top dog if we stand up with the courage of our convictions."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
frog222 wrote:Or alternatively a 'natural' demise .
Attacked and killed by his own hair, "I just couldn't take being glued to such an idiot any more, yer honour!"

I'd believe it.
Donald Trump's hair and the word "natural" don't sit easily together.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Very good point.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

tinybgoat wrote:
Green Party candidate Jill Stein says she has a chance to become the next U.S. president, despite the big task of overcoming what is largely a two-party system when it comes to national elections.
Sorry, but no she doesn't.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If she's successful in angling for Sander's supporters could we be saying hello to President Trump later in the year ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Fortunately probably not enough people in Sander's hardcore to let Trump in unless the polls narrow.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/abo ... y-clinton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

Not been posting at all recently but more of a lurker.Reasons,firstly out of the country a fair bit to places with intermittent connections. Secondly the "discussions" regarding the leadership and general positioning of the Labour party got somewhat overheated in my view (in particular encouraged by one poster with his/her own agenda) so decided to think a bit before I opened my mouth. Still thinking but working on the basis of the Abraham Lincoln advice Better to remain silent and be thought a fool....................

Anyhow I couple of quick observations on developments that I don't think has been referenced here previously.

Toby Young showing what a complete idiot (once again) he is in the Daily Fascist claiming Olympic success for the tories. Not going to link because of source.

The Murdoch influence on our establishment shows no signs of diminishing. Following Joey Jones (ex Sky political editor) as an "advisor" at No10 is Poppy Trowbridge who up until now has been the Sky consumer affairs person who is going to be a "special advisor" to Phillip Hammond. In addition the PMs joint chief of staff is also ex Sky.

Of course our media is still vigorously holding our establishment/government to account...........My Arse!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rowson

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ur-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Southern train ceiling collapse leaves commuters shaken

Latest problem to hit embattled operator saw large section of carriage ceiling fall down between Purley Oaks and South Croydon (Guardian)
And the charade of Southern running a "first world" rail service continues.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ers-shaken
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:Rowson

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ur-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What's that underneath OS chair, a mask?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

StephenDolan wrote:

I dunno. It's in all his cartoons now, I haven't figured out who it represents yet....Do you remember it used to be bits of Cleggy.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

May reboots 'northern powerhouse' with £24m cycling pledge (Guardian)
Yes. That's the solution. You Northerners will just have to pedal faster . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... mpionships

Actually, I suppose I ought to add this bit from the header even if it does rather spoil the effect -
PM says government will underwrite Yorkshire’s bid to host cycling world championships as she revives George Osborne’s pet project (Guardian)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Can't say I'm a big fan, but I'm inclined to agree with his writing here.

I didn’t attack Jeremy Corbyn at the weekend. Westminster was my target

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... get-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

ohsocynical wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

I dunno. It's in all his cartoons now, I haven't figured out who it represents yet....Do you remember it used to be bits of Cleggy.
Think it might be either Blair or Trotsky?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ohsocynical wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

It's Blair's skull. (Skeleton in the closet/malign influence of the living dead metaphor, perhaps).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Police renew appeal for information over human feet discovered in Bath

Avon and Somerset officers say the three feet are likely to be exhibits from a medical or educational establishment

Temporary DI Paul Catton said: “We are confident no crime has been committed and strongly believe the feet have come from an old private collection.

All three feet show signs they have come into contact with animals and it is likely that they have been moved to the locations they were found from a specific source. (Guardian - my emphasis)
This is a job for The Yard. Boom boom!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... vered-in-b

Edited to tidy up quote
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Can't understand this tbh, if true. Cathy Newman can be a bit annoying sometimes but it is usually less biased than the Beeb.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/j ... ab6d0ba294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot01538.jpg
ScreenShot01538.jpg (143.94 KiB) Viewed 11705 times
ScreenShot01539.jpg
ScreenShot01539.jpg (90.98 KiB) Viewed 11705 times
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Has Seamus had a spat with his editor ?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

TobyLatimer wrote:Can't understand this tbh, if true. Cathy Newman can be a bit annoying sometimes but it is usually less biased than the Beeb.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/j ... ab6d0ba294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot01538.jpg
ScreenShot01539.jpg
Misleading headline (surprise) from the HuffPo. Corbyn isn't saying that in the emails referenced.

As for Maguire, that's a bit snide. He could've said Labour MPs choose to cause split instead of attacking Tories. Nah, let's make it look like it's all Corbyn's fault.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Right. That's me fixed up for the weekend....
CprmwudWgAE0ClS.jpg
CprmwudWgAE0ClS.jpg (28.98 KiB) Viewed 11675 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

This is yet another opportunity for Si and Kazza to generate More And Bigger Paycheques For Themselves Personally Now. You think I jest? Fame Flynet, their photo agency of choice, has now provided snaps of both to the Sun and Daily Mail.

The Sun’s headline was “Karen Danczuk spotted with gruesome wounds after ‘boozy bust-up’ with estranged hubby Simon over a Spanish waiter … The couple argued over wife's trysts while on a family holiday with their kids”.

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... eques.html
Yet to see any mention of what they might be doing to their two boys. Poor little devils.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

StephenDolan wrote:Can't say I'm a big fan, but I'm inclined to agree with his writing here.

I didn’t attack Jeremy Corbyn at the weekend. Westminster was my target

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... get-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the last sentence, the only one I've seen arguing for 'progressive alliances" is Clive Lewis .

Fav comment for my collecction --
" any progressive leader would fall fowl of our hostile media "
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

"Headless chicken" headlines guaranteed.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

ohsocynical wrote:Right. That's me fixed up for the weekend....
CprmwudWgAE0ClS.jpg
Your place or mine? Your's I think. Mine's a travestite.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It's always easier to talk to a crowd of people who agree with you.
[As I've found out in reverse :lol: ]
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Is Simon Danczuk still suspended from the party?
I'm not sure he should continue as an MP. He's clearly got some problems.
As for Karen, she has the typical recidivism that many abused women have - she just keeps on going back....
Unless it's all a stunt, of course; it's odd that the photos went straight to their picture agency.
Strange people.

Just to add a bit of levity to proceedings - we've had knitted Jeremy Corbyns and all sorts.
Now we have a #ThingsOwenDid hashtag (I think it's a little poke at Owen Smith saying how he helped with the NI peace process in his SPAD days) and he is being credited with all manner of good stuff, eg. being the first to climb Everest - from the inside....

The Brownlee brothers are AMAZING.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

JonnyT1234 wrote:"Headless chicken" headlines guaranteed.
Don't grouse, Jonny, old cock. Wear your game face and keep your capon.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:Is Simon Danczuk still suspended from the party?
I'm not sure he should continue as an MP. He's clearly got some problems.
As for Karen, she has the typical recidivism that many abused women have - she just keeps on going back....
Unless it's all a stunt, of course; it's odd that the photos went straight to their picture agency.
Strange people.

Just to add a bit of levity to proceedings - we've had knitted Jeremy Corbyns and all sorts.
Now we have a #ThingsOwenDid hashtag (I think it's a little poke at Owen Smith saying how he helped with the NI peace process in his SPAD days) and he is being credited with all manner of good stuff, eg. being the first to climb Everest - from the inside....

The Brownlee brothers are AMAZING.
Have been watching the Brownlee's. Incredible.

Watched them in 2010 and so good to see them still on top.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ephemerid wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:"Headless chicken" headlines guaranteed.
Don't grouse, Jonny, old cock. Wear your game face and keep your capon.
I'm very disappointed that no-one seems to appreciate my feet in the bath (or feet in Bath) contribution. But I'm not bitter or downhearted . . . .