Weekend Edition - Sat.20th.August/Sun.21st.August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Weekend Edition - Sat.20th.August/Sun.21st.August 2016

Post by ephemerid »

Morning all.

BBC News website -
47% of all households claiming Housing Benefit are in work; the amount of HB paid to private landlords is £9.3 Billion.
In 2006, £4.6 Billion was spent on HB for private rentals - the figure has more than doubled in ten years.

This comes from a National Housing Federation study; it says that the proportion of HB claimants renting in the private sector has increased by 42% since 2008; and that had all those people been council/social housing tenants, £1,000 per household per year could have been saved - which amounts to an average of £2.2 Billion annually.

According to the ONS, the total spend on all social security payments (excluding tax credits, but including pensions) was £258 Billion.
£27 Billion of that was Housing Benefit; ie. 10% of the total spend. That's 9 times more than was spent on unemployment benefit.

£2.2 Billion a year could be saved if private rents came into line with social rents - that's 12,000 new houses a year.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Re: Weekend Edition - Sat.20th.August/Sun.21st.August 2016

Post by howsillyofme1 »

How many times does a thread get opened at the same time!

Good morning everyone

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... oject-fear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This article is what I am concerned about - the threat of Brexit has not been so acutely bad that an actual Brexit can be sold as being the same

The chronic risk is still there but is it enough to turn people against the referendum result?

My assumption is not and the chronic weakening of Britain from this decision will not prevent us leaving or suffering in the medium/long term

'Project Fear' has not only worked against us in the referendum campaign, it is also working against us in the aftermath....thanks Dave and Gideon for that

As with virtually all of the reasons for Brexit, I think it can be laid at the door of the Tories and the decisions made in the campaign.....the people involved though are busy pointing in other directions and it is being swallowed by some people who shoul know better
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

I'm a DWP call handler and have no time to care about your disability claim.

https://www.theguardian.com/public-lead ... nefits-dwp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Morning, howsilly.

Elliott rightly gives caveats - but I think he under-estimates what the longer-term impact could be. We have no idea what might happen - plus, of course, we as yet have no idea what the actual Brexit plan is, do we?

The 1.4% rise in retail sales in July sits alongside an increase in consumer borrowing of about 6% and a fall in savings of about 8% (ONS). With people on holidays etc. (the figures include motor fuel and holidays) it's not a surprise.
Unemployment always falls a bit in the summer, because students get holiday jobs; the claimant count is never a reliable indicator, especially with the massive increase in sanctions, and seasonal suspensions if claimants take a holiday.

Project Fear was aimed at scaring the bejaysus out of people so that they'd vote the way Cameron required them to - they didn't, and so far the economy has rallied a bit after the initial shocks.
But - we have no inkling of how the rest of the EU are planning to trade with us, how much it will cost in deals and tariffs, or how much we'll pay for the legal advisers and negotiators etc.

I think May and Hammond - with the help of Carney - are basically holding the fort for now; but at some point they will have to get on with it. The whole thing is pretty unpredictable, and since none of these very clever people spotted the crash in 2008, I'm disinclined to believe much of what they say now. The truth is they don't know any more than we do. We are in uncharted territory.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

During all the media palaver about the Olympics, I've been itching to broach this subject. It seemed to have been conveniently forgotten.
Police killings of favela residents continue as Games go on in Rio

85,000-member security force holds poor communities in state of semi-siege not ‘to protect us, but to segregate us’ from Olympic visitors, neighbours say (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... egregation
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

ephemerid wrote:Morning, howsilly.

Elliott rightly gives caveats - but I think he under-estimates what the longer-term impact could be. We have no idea what might happen - plus, of course, we as yet have no idea what the actual Brexit plan is, do we?

The 1.4% rise in retail sales in July sits alongside an increase in consumer borrowing of about 6% and a fall in savings of about 8% (ONS). With people on holidays etc. (the figures include motor fuel and holidays) it's not a surprise.
Unemployment always falls a bit in the summer, because students get holiday jobs; the claimant count is never a reliable indicator, especially with the massive increase in sanctions, and seasonal suspensions if claimants take a holiday.

Project Fear was aimed at scaring the bejaysus out of people so that they'd vote the way Cameron required them to - they didn't, and so far the economy has rallied a bit after the initial shocks.
But - we have no inkling of how the rest of the EU are planning to trade with us, how much it will cost in deals and tariffs, or how much we'll pay for the legal advisers and negotiators etc.

I think May and Hammond - with the help of Carney - are basically holding the fort for now; but at some point they will have to get on with it. The whole thing is pretty unpredictable, and since none of these very clever people spotted the crash in 2008, I'm disinclined to believe much of what they say now. The truth is they don't know any more than we do. We are in uncharted territory.

Good morning to you too ephe

I cannot disagree with anything you said

I think I am coming at it more from the side that there is a lot of denial going on, and in those circumstances the lack of realisation of Project Fear has played into the hands of those who said 'it won't be so bad'!

The long term chronic issues will arise but will they arrive quickly enough for those who want to stop Brexit - I sincerely do not believe that to be the case!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 20 Aug, 2016 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TobyLatimer wrote:I'm a DWP call handler and have no time to care about your disability claim.

https://www.theguardian.com/public-lead ... nefits-dwp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, Toby.

I wonder if the person who wrote the article actually works for DWP or one of the outsourced companies like Serco? As we discussed here the other day, all new claims for PIP are made over the phone and it's Serco that operates the "service". I find it difficult to believe that DWP civil servants would have a time limit on calls, as they and their supervisors know that some cases will be complicated.

I'm not sure I have much sympathy for the person who wrote that article, whoever he/she works for. They took a job knowing that they'd be handling calls from ill people; I appreciate that they are working under difficult conditions re. performance etc. but surely they must have known that they'd be dealing with complicated situations under pressure - it's the nature of the job, however wrong that is.

I've phoned DWP fairly recently about ESA, and where they used to be able to tell you if a payment had been processed or suspended, they don't seem to be able to do that any more. Whenever I've called lately, I'm told I'll get a call back - which rarely happens.

As we found out from the mail handling business a few years ago (when we found out that forms like ESA50s and confidential medical notes were opened and sorted by Royal Mail before they got anywhere near a DWP office) I'm inclined to think that a lot of the phone lines we have to use are not staffed by DWP but by outsourced companies who are always working to targets.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ephemerid wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:I'm a DWP call handler and have no time to care about your disability claim.

Thanks, Toby.

I'm not sure I have much sympathy for the person who wrote that article, whoever he/she works for. They took a job knowing that they'd be handling calls from ill people; I appreciate that they are working under difficult conditions re. performance etc. but surely they must have known that they'd be dealing with complicated situations under pressure - it's the nature of the job, however wrong that is.
I always bear in mind that a lot of people (if they're signing on) don't get much choice over which jobs they take because their benefits will get stopped if a job is offered and not taken. There must be a lot of round pegs who are thus forced into, at best, square holes.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PorFavor wrote:I always bear in mind that a lot of people (if they're signing on) don't get much choice over which jobs they take because their benefits will get stopped if a job is offered and not taken. There must be a lot of round pegs who are thus forced into, at best, square holes.
Also note that voluntarily leaving a job 'without good reason' means you aren't entitled to JSA. You need to be made redundant. So, once in, there are sometimes no ways out for you unless you have another job to walk straight into.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Your JSA payments will be stopped for a period if you don’t do something your work coach or the Work Programme asks you to do. This is called being ‘sanctioned’. For example, if you:

don’t accept or keep to your agreement to look for work
don’t go to a Jobcentre Plus office when asked
turn down a job or training course
don’t apply for any jobs you’re told about
don’t take part in any interviews you’re invited to
don’t go to any training booked for you or take part in employment schemes
leave your last job or training without good reason or because of your behaviour
https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance ... nformation
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

PorFavor wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

Thanks, Toby.

I always bear in mind that a lot of people (if they're signing on) don't get much choice over which jobs they take because their benefits will get stopped if a job is offered and not taken. There must be a lot of round pegs who are thus forced into, at best, square holes.
Morning all

I also think that this kind of work is basically enforced collusion for some. I find that scariest of all because it undermines our ability to relate as human beings and potentially puts a person's survival needs (e.g. to feed their children) up against their natural empathy in a soul destroying manner.

I don't think an occasional public service voice of experience in the guardIan is any way enough though. Where are the media stories based on investigating the whole rotten system from corporate profit, though government abrogation of responsibility to dehumanising practice and personal tragedies that real journalism should be writing about?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

"Real journalism" barely exists anymore.

Most hacks now divide their time between uncritically parroting press releases (from government/think tanks/corporations) and indulging in incestuous trivial gossip.

The final demise of the dead tree press really can't come soon enough.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I always bear in mind that a lot of people (if they're signing on) don't get much choice over which jobs they take because their benefits will get stopped if a job is offered and not taken. There must be a lot of round pegs who are thus forced into, at best, square holes.
Also note that voluntarily leaving a job 'without good reason' means you aren't entitled to JSA. You need to be made redundant. So, once in, there are sometimes no ways out for you unless you have another job to walk straight into.
Scary as hell
Think about it - how does someone prove some of those valid, 'good reasons' for leaving jobs?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Worth saying also that, should the author of that article be dismissed because he went off-script, he would also no longer be eligible for JSA.

Enforced collusion? You bet it is.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

A good reason would be e.g. moving city or beyond a certain distance from your place of work, through (GP signed) ill health - though I bet this is significantly more difficult to get recognised these days, etc.

Just leaving because it was not what you thought it would be or it started to go against your ethics... No chance.

Edit: putting back an accidental deletion.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Sat 20 Aug, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Has the final total of eligible "affiliated" voters for Labour's leadership contest been announced yet?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Final comment on the topic: of course, if they are outsourced and working for G4S or Serco then they won't have any Union representation either (iirc).

Welcome to New Labour Britain. Welcome to Tory Britain.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

JonnyT1234 wrote:A good reason would be e.g. moving city or beyond a certain distance from your place of work, through (GP signed) ill health - though I bet this is significantly more difficult to get recognised these days, etc.

Just leaving because it was not what you thought it would be or it started to go against your ethics... No chance.

Edit: putting back an accidental deletion.
Exactly what I mean - for example, an abusive boss cornering an employee alone and no CTV or other witness - any number of like incidents - there's no proof.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Has the final total of eligible "affiliated" voters for Labour's leadership contest been announced yet?
I haven't seen anything yet.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Most hacks now divide their time between uncritically parroting press releases (from government/think tanks/corporations) and indulging in incestuous trivial gossip.
Or making stuff up and then coming to the rescue a day later with "after we revealed x we saved it!"

Like that absurd story about the GB Olympics parade.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

It's the:
Paper: Politician X does Y
Politician X: No I didn't
Paper: Politician X denies doing Y after Paper exposes him/her
cycle of news creation.

The type of news I despise in spades.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I probably meant "square" pegs in "round" holes. No matter - thanks for all your responses!
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

ScreenShot01545.jpg
ScreenShot01545.jpg (72.75 KiB) Viewed 15026 times

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/201 ... -forecast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Or making stuff up and then coming to the rescue a day later with "after we revealed x we saved it!"

Like that absurd story about the GB Olympics parade.
I swear a lot of them just trawl Twitter.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The Government launched this scheme declaredly to help people save the large exchange deposit required to buy a home.
"But what unsuspecting first-time buyers are now horrified to discover is that under the scheme rules they cannot use the bonus as part of this deposit."

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/co ... uy-scandal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Janet Edwards ‏@Janiete 57m57 minutes ago

Great first victory for @andyburnhammp - Manchester to host main Olympics homecoming celebration. Well done Andy.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I am watching Olympic canoeing.

Those men have AWESOME shoulders.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Stephen Collins' latest cartoon nails it again. Lampooning both Brexiteer Gove and the BBC/Newsnight in one.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:I am watching Olympic canoeing.

Stop dribbling !!!! :roll: :lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ephemerid wrote:I am watching Olympic canoeing.

Tut tut, isn't that "objectifying"? ;)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

R.I.P Brian Rix

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37142153" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:"Real journalism" barely exists anymore.

The final demise of the dead tree press really can't come soon enough.
What will be used to line cat litter trays ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I don't know how to link a Gif directly - but this is one cat who sees Trump for what he is :lol:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:I don't know how to link a Gif directly - but this is one cat who sees Trump for what he is :lol:

I was going to point you to the "How to..." guide, but had a look myself, first. God knows how you link to that. I'm not sure it's actually a gif, probably a webm file (like the Graun now use for 'Gifs that Keep on Giving'). I can't even find a link to the original image/file/whatever.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Gif?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Graphics interchange format PF. A bitmap image format if that helps :geek:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:Graphics interchange format PF. A bitmap image format if that helps :geek:
[youtube]IRsPheErBj8[/youtube]
;)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:Gif?
Just don't ask how it's pronounced. That's a whole other can of worms.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Blame Wikipedia !

I don't actually know what it means.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Gif?
Just don't ask how it's pronounced. That's a whole other can of worms.
Ha! So I found out when I just looked it up on Wikipedia. It must be called Cif by now, surely?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

OVER A 100 TORY MPS STILL WANT TO STOP BRITAIN LEAVING THE EU, SAYS KEN CLARKE IN NEW BOOK
https://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/08/ ... -new-book/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's nothing to the article but I liked this btl, apart from the SNP bit. My bold.
MPs – the SNP as a block excepted – do indeed look totally gutless. What the crisis has revealed is that despite years of pontificating on being representatives not delegates, they have actually nothing to say on real-world issues. Most are there as a lucrative career in which the ‘game’ of politics is about their personal progress up power’s greasy pole; they have no skills, no insight and no political nous when it comes to the real world’s major challenges. They have been revealed for all to see as empty husks. Faced by a potentially insoluble ‘political’ situation – understood, as they do these matters, purely in terms of electoral survival and career advancement – they are mute and their leaders are either blame-shifting, vide May’s Cabinet appointments of Davis, Johnson and Fox, or deranged supporters of extreme right-wing slogans, same name checks again. I should imagine that Clarke, from an earlier and slightly less venal era, is heaving with disgust. Certainly we are.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CqUTmTwWAAEACFf.jpg
CqUTmTwWAAEACFf.jpg (39.55 KiB) Viewed 14710 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

‘Bomber’ Benn challenged over continuing Syrian cataclysm

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/08/2 ... cataclysm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The Best Olympic Commentary Ever

http://www.altdriver.com/lmao/the-best- ... tary-ever/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

yahyah wrote:I don't know how to link a Gif directly - but this is one cat who sees Trump for what he is :lol:

This ?

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:

This ?

I'll ask you because you're here (I think) -

Why do people have such enormous televisions?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:

This ?

I'll ask you because you're here (I think) -

Why do people have such enormous televisions?
Can't afford a big car?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CNN Breaking NewsVerified account
‏@cnnbrk

Older brother of Syrian boy in iconic image dies of injuries from airstrike on family home. http://cnn.it/2bbXMsT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;