Weekend Edition - Sat.20th.August/Sun.21st.August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Weekend Edition - Sat.20th.August/Sun.21st.August 2016

Post by PorFavor »

Ditch Jeremy Corbyn before it’s too late, Sadiq Khan tells Labour

Explaining his backing for Smith, who is the former shadow work and pensions secretary, Khan says: “On the big issues Owen and I have been on the same side of the argument, including opposing the Iraq war. Owen led and – more importantly – won our fight against the Tories’ unfair cuts to tax credits and disability allowances, which would have hurt the most disadvantaged people in our society.” (Guardian)
Whilst Sadiq Khan says that he blames Jeremy Corbyn for the EU referendum result (and I don't) I do agree that, post-result, Jeremy Corbyn has been less than impressive on the EU issue.

Anyhow, here's the link for those who wish to read the article.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... lls-labour
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

If he has really blamed Corbyn for Brexit, then I am *not* impressed.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hospital doctors ‘miss signs of illness’ because of chronic staff shortages
Survey reveals widespread concern that widening gaps in rotas are risking patient safety and leave ‘pressurised’ medics in tears (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... d-patients
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:If he has really blamed Corbyn for Brexit, then I am *not* impressed.
In the actual article by Khan (as opposed to the Observer's editorial of it), he says that Corbyn failed to show enough leadership during the referendum, but doesn't blame him directly for the result.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sadiq-khan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

What Khan actually says About the EU and Corbyn is fair and accurate

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sadiq-khan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Interestingly George Eaton posted this:

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 57m57 minutes ago

The suggestion that Corbyn, not Sadiq, "won" London is wrong and pretty offensive. A few thoughts follow.

But as I pointed out, where had that suggestion come from?

New Statesman Verified account
‏@NewStatesman

Victory in London was Jeremy Corbyn's, not Sadiq Khan's – @stephenkb
analyses the ward-by-ward data in London http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/de ... adiq-khans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Oh...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted.
Last edited by HindleA on Sun 21 Aug, 2016 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted
Last edited by HindleA on Sun 21 Aug, 2016 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

SpinningHugo wrote:What Khan actually says About the EU and Corbyn is fair and accurate

Though Cameron and Osborne and the Tory pro-EU faction managed to persuade a much lower chunk of their voters to vote Remain. And the Tory party barely had a position at all, as the leadership argued vaguely for one thing while Johnson, Gove & crew with the able support of Farrage and pretty much the entire UK news print media and their websites argued the opposite. By making lots of promises and assurances, all of which they immediately reneged or back-peddled on the day after the vote.

After 40 years of the media baron's onslaught on the EU, hand in hand with Major's cabinet and back-bench "bastards" like Smith, Hamilton etc. and those to the right of them it's hardly surprising a 6 month campaign a huge chunk of the media was opposed to in principle failed to convince a majority staying in the EU is the right thing to do. Especially when all the media wanted to say about Labour and Corbyn was that he's a lunatic "leftist" incompetent who wants to make women travel segregated on trains, doesn't always wear a tie and an expensive suit and generally, like his supporters, isn't the sort of chap a gentleman would nominate for membership of the right sort of gentlemen's club.

There are reckoned to be around 100 Tory MPs thoroughly annoyed and opposed to "Brexit", where is the news about the divisions in the Tory party? Where are Cameron and those Tories around him being held up and castigated along with the rest of his party who made him leader? He's buggered off like the flyweight he is to media silence because Murdoch and the Mail and the Express and the tory right got what they've been after for years. A huge chunk of British-based businesses are also very unhappy, but they're reckoned to be "experts" so no-one wants to listen to them so no-one reports them.

Here's a thought for you. Many of the urban areas that had a majority "leave" vote also voted strongly Labour in the May local elections. In the last year Labour have won the mayorships and a string of by-elections the media confidently asserted UKIP would win or run Labour very closely indeed. Which didn't happen.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

"The most dynamic period of postwar western growth was that between the end of the war and the early 70s, the era of welfare capitalism"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-politics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

SpinningHugo wrote:What Khan actually says About the EU and Corbyn is fair and accurate

You've made me go all Mandy Rice-Davies :D
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... w-did-our/
What we are seeing, at the highest levels of national political life, are degrees of naivety and irresponsible witlessness that used to be confined to the student union or to late-night conversations in the bar-rooms of redneck America. You may be taking comfort that, at the moment at least, there seems little possibility of any of these clownish figures being elected to high office. But how has it come to this? There are, after all, considerable proportions of both electorates – minorities but not inconsiderable minorities – of the citizenry of two of the most powerful and influential countries in the world, prepared to support party leaders who would once have been laughed off the stage.
An interesting article which manages to give examples of Trump,Corbyn & Smith,
but, strangely no Tories.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... dering-of/

Mammoths could become a protected species to curb laundering of elephant tusks
Despite being extinct for 4,000 years, woolly mammoths could get legal protection.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:If he has really blamed Corbyn for Brexit, then I am *not* impressed.
I'm surprised you didn't bother to go to the source Anatoly.
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 21 Aug, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Mostly this morning i seem to be reading the Telegraph.
Apologies & final link :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... taying-in/
And even if some compromise is reached, it seems quite possible that leaving the EU, however much many of us may wish it, could still be more costly to us than remaining. All that is certain is that it will not leave us with many pennies to spare for the NHS.
Also same column has article on conservation.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I don't think Anatoly was off the mark, reading the article

From the 'original' source

"Khan, in effect, lays much of the blame for Brexit at Corbyn’s door and that of his advisers

Throughout the campaign and aftermath, Jeremy failed to show the leadership we desperately needed. His position on EU membership was never clear – and voters didn’t believe him. A third of Labour voters said they did not know where the party stood on the referendum just a week before polling day

And you can’t just blame a ‘hostile media’ and let Jeremy and his team off the hook,” he writes. “I know from my own election – up against a nasty and divisive Tory campaign – that if we are strong and clear enough in our convictions, the message will get through to the public. That’s a test that Jeremy totally failed in the EU referendum. Why would things be different in a general election?”

Can I ask when was the last time the Labour establishment actually came out and pointed out that almost all the blame lies with the Tories? Khan seems far more forgiving of being made out to be a terrorist-supporting racist if his response to Goldsmith's Cameron's and Fallon's disgraceful comments during his election is to be taken into account

I find his comparison of the EU campaign and London mayoral one is far too simplistic

I am not necessarily a conspiracy theorist but it does seem strange that the Labour Party seems intent on assuring there is plenty of ammunition out there to prevent him leading the party effectively in the probably event of a second victory......I would think that there could be a little less black and white in these articles if the intention was to rebuild the party

Edited to make the first sentence more accurate
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Sun 21 Aug, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

frightful_oik wrote:

That brought an image of you, a kitchen chair, and a lot of flesh on show, :shock: then I remembered that was Christine Keeler.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA

Why do you keep posting comments and then deleting them?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

yahyah wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:

That brought an image of you, a kitchen chair, and a lot of flesh on show, :shock: then I remembered that was Christine Keeler.
A lot of flesh. No canoeist shoulders on me. :lol!:
Front of Mail today has an article about May and the Tatler Tory. I haven't read it.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

@howsillyofme

I agree to this extent. The hostility of Khan and others to Corbyn in this election makes it impossible for him to lead effectively. This wasn't so last year.

Khan has always been a member of "core group hostile" of course, and must have hopes of leading the party at some point in the distant future when it returns to electability.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I really, really doubt the wiseness of some of these comments

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 99916.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, we may believe that this may be true but the one thing that the British public are very keen on promoting is this 'backs up against the wall' jingoism. I am sure she didn't mean this to be reported in this way but linking everything to Brexit and foretelling doom is not something I would suggest is the best?

Te last thing we need is for sport to be used as a proxy for a national demonstration of our battle against invidious Europe - Simon Jenkins has already started a debate on this subject anyway in the Guardian (do not agree at all with his tone, but the premise behind it got me thinking a bit)

We have already seen how the 'Project Fear' approach backfired and do we really need to set up another straw man to be used against us in 4 years? What will Tessa Jowell say if we win more medals in 2020?

What is not desirable is putting more and more money into winning medals and elite sport and starving the 'sport for all' ethos. Is the true measure of this country more medals in the Olympics or the overall general public participation in sport?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Warning, Here be Dragons:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... psing.html
DAN HODGES: Spineless, incoherent, incompetent - and how Owen Smith's house of cards is collapsing
Actually, OK article. But I now automatically feel sorry for Smith, because of who wrote it.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Khan piece fairly reasonable. No mention of one Alan Johnson though. I thought the whole point of not having Corbyn fronting the Labour in campaign was because of what he'd said in the past?

A final point. Are Labour voters supposed to be clueless? They'll only vote for or against leaving when they know what the leader of the party thinks? 2+2=5 imo
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinybgoat wrote:Warning, Here be Dragons:

DAN HODGES: Spineless, incoherent, incompetent - and how Owen Smith's house of cards is collapsing
Actually, OK article. But I now automatically feel sorry for Smith, because of who wrote it.

A despicable article from a despicable excuse for a human being

How he can have the gall to call anyone incompetent is beyond me....it completely demonstrates the lack of self-esteem this person must have if he has had to morph into an upper middle-class useless version of Littlejohn for his paymasters. How long before the Mail realise he has no credibility with anyone!

I suggest he looks at Peter Hitchens...a man I share very few values or views with, but find his articles worth reading as he always provokes some further reflection.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

How he can have the gall to call anyone incompetent is beyond me....it completely demonstrates the lack of self-esteem this person must have if he has had to morph into an upper middle-class useless version of Littlejohn for his paymasters. How long before the Mail realise he has no credibility with anyone!

I suggest he looks at Peter Hitchens...a man I share very few values or views with, but find his articles worth reading as he always provokes some further reflection.
DFH. A poundshop Hitchens. Sounds about right. DFHAPH.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

StephenDolan wrote:Khan piece fairly reasonable. No mention of one Alan Johnson though. I thought the whole point of not having Corbyn fronting the Labour in campaign was because of what he'd said in the past?

A final point. Are Labour voters supposed to be clueless? They'll only vote for or against leaving when they know what the leader of the party thinks? 2+2=5 imo

Personally I didn't find it that reasonable

I have nothing against Khan, I really hope he does a good job in London

What frustrates me is that he hasn't made this necessarily a pro-Smith article, which would be entirely reasonable if he supports him, but the fact that he makes a good part of it anti-Corbyn and by doing so makes some claims which I find to be simplistic and overplayed

Then in the last section he has the gall to call for unity.....does he really mean what he says? Is it unity if only Smith wins - we seem to see this a lot from Smith supporters, calling for unity but silent on whether they will do the same if Corbyn wins....as seems very likely

Not that impressed to be honest
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

StephenDolan wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

DFH. A poundshop Hitchens. Sounds about right. DFHAPH.

I'd call him a 'Waitrose Littlejohn' (although anagram is crap)

Hitchens is on a totally different intellectual level, even if I find him to be wrong on many things. If you accept his assumptions and values then he is a very good writer - thing is I don't - bet he would make me look a complete arse in a debate though

There was a really good debate between the Hitchens brothers that was on tv once....enjoyed it because they were both good debaters and you can see the competition and animosity between them as well......can you see Hodges doing the same thing?

Hodges neither believes nor can argue with conviction for most of the shite he writes
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tories stockpiling these

https://www.politicshome.com/news/world ... nd-go-away" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Interesting read

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... roceedings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't bother to go to the source Anatoly.
Khan was evidently happy for that to be the spin applied to his comments.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Khan piece fairly reasonable. No mention of one Alan Johnson though. I thought the whole point of not having Corbyn fronting the Labour in campaign was because of what he'd said in the past?

What frustrates me is that he hasn't made this necessarily a pro-Smith article, which would be entirely reasonable if he supports him, but the fact that he makes a good part of it anti-Corbyn and by doing so makes some claims which I find to be simplistic and overplayed

Then in the last section he has the gall to call for unity.....does he really mean what he says? Is it unity if only Smith wins - we seem to see this a lot from Smith supporters, calling for unity but silent on whether they will do the same if Corbyn wins....as seems very likely

He was glad enough of Corbyn supporters during his election campaign. Quite a few of them wondered how he'd have done without their hours of doorstepping and support.

And you don't bite the hand that feeds you....
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rachael ‏@Rachael_Swindon 2h2 hours ago

Morning @SadiqKhan. The Labour leader is having a huge rally in your city tonight. Can you RT please Sadiq?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The outdoor meeting tonight is the reason for the newspaper article about Khan.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Good point above about Alan Johnson, btw. He is one of a group of "elite" politicians who is effectively exempt from criticism by the MSM.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

He was glad enough of Corbyn supporters during his election campaign. Quite a few of them wondered how he'd have done without their hours of doorstepping and support.

And you don't bite the hand that feeds you....

This why I am surprised at the tone of his article and the very simplistic comparison between London Mayoral election and the referendum

The mayoral election was Labour's to lose and Khan was always favourite. He was a good candidate and the Labour Party in general has been in a strong position in London for a number of years. It would have been a massive shock if he had lost to Goldsmith

The referendum though was a different matter altogether and the majority of Leave voters were Tories, UKIP or non-voters.

Corbyn could possibly have done more to convert some of the non-voters to the Remain cause but I am not sure how he would have done that in reality as the only acceptable message was to be 10/10 for remain - which would not have appealed to the skeptics. Look how he was castigated for the 7/10 comment!

I still say that if questions are asked of Corbyn about the EU even stronger ones have to be asked to local MPs who could not manage to persuade their constituents of the benefit of the EU, even when based on false information (Stephen Kinnock anyone?)

Owen Smith's area voted Leave......why couldn't he persuade them to do otherwise? Is it unfair to blame him though? I didn't at the time and still don't really - so why is it fair for him and his supporters put 'much of the blame' on Corbyn?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rachael ‏@Rachael_Swindon 12h12 hours ago

Worth pointing out @SadiqKhan that without the votes & backing of Corbyn supporters you wouldn't have been Labours mayoral candidate.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Shlomo Anker ‏@Hapoel4 11h11 hours ago

We all knew Sadiq Khan was no different to other politicians but we shut up about it & campaigned for him anyway. sad
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Pauline Lane ‏@Antonineone1 2h2 hours ago

The idea is to produce a steady drip of supposedly 'neutral' Labour figures who will take a front page every day.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Coming back to the Cobyn blame for the referendum - I am sorry to do it but it does annoy me

If Labour had lost the mayoral election with Khan, or the by-elections or done badly in the council elections, I could understand more the pressure that would be on Corbyn

The fact is Labour did better than expected in virtually all these - the council elections are less easy to judge due to the point in the electoral cycle and the need to extrapolate. It is fair to say though the predictions of the result were off the mark and Labour did better

It is interesting though that all the credit seems to be given to the individual candidates in these elections by the anti-Corbyn faction. I doubt though that if khan had lost it would have been his fault.....that would defintiely have been blamed on Corbyn

Then when we get to the referendum that was clearly not a 'party' election it absolutely staggers me that the only criticism I see in the MSM is of Corbyn and this is being fuelled by senior members of his own party. The local party representatives who shout loudest seem to those who did so badly - is it the case of shifting blame?

This focus on the EU is what makes me feel that it is all just an excuse - because actually the EU referendum is the one that can least be laid at the Labour Party or Corbyn of all of them.

I know there are people on here who see us Corbyn supporters as being blind to reality and burying our heads in the sand - but can you not see why this continued reference by senior Labour figures to the EU referendum is stretching the boundaries of credulity too far?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tim Montgomerie ن ‏@montie 13h13 hours ago
He nominated him. Traded on his popularity to beat @TessaJowell. And now turns on him. Such an opportunist
Crikey! Some scathing stuff about Khan this morning.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CqXeiHDXgAALEoO.jpg
CqXeiHDXgAALEoO.jpg (85.22 KiB) Viewed 8547 times
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

From the Irish Indy, I like the cartoon.
May is heading for the Exit from Brexit
Declan Lynch
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/colum ... 81939.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian Bradley ‏@ijbrads66 12h12 hours ago Swindon, England

Glaringly orchestrated manoeuvre from Khan, on eve of ballot papers being sent, loyalty now a dirty word
CqVeVzTWAAQYM4A.jpg
CqVeVzTWAAQYM4A.jpg (87.61 KiB) Viewed 8520 times
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Blimey, there are times when this place rivals twitter for crap. It's rapidly becoming meme central.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Khan made it clear in his Radio 4 interview who he would be voting for, just didn't name the candidate.
Talked about the need for Labour to be in government, if my memory is correct.

Amusing to see the accusations against Khan, betrayal, he's a Muslim extremist who wants Sharia law, yet he's a fake Muslim who is a puppet of Tel Aviv !
Christian Woolmar got the same betrayal stuff thrown at him when he switched his vote away from Corbyn.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

pk1 wrote:Blimey, there are times when this place rivals twitter for crap. It's rapidly becoming meme central.
Who has been talking 'crap'?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I thought some of you were going to look for another board so you didn't have to read this 'crap'?

I think that exemplifies your contempt for others of a different view to you
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:Shlomo Anker ‏@Hapoel4 11h11 hours ago

We all knew Sadiq Khan was no different to other politicians but we shut up about it & campaigned for him anyway. sad

That's because you're supposed to be on the same side!

Oh, and anyone who uses "we all knew" automatically loses.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It's getting so silly.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The lead in the Sunday Times is attracting a certain amount of derision.

Smacks of "we haven't actually got a clue but everyone loves the Olympics and it's topical!"

I suggested that maybe they meant "create a quango and throw money at likely winners"

Tip - go to page 3 now..
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Sun 21 Aug, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.