Weekend Edition - Sat.20th.August/Sun.21st.August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Re: Weekend Edition - Sat.20th.August/Sun.21st.August 2016

Post by JonnyT1234 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well up to a point - I wouldn't say that track and field, swimming or even cycling are 'elite sports' exactly - certainly there are elite sportsmen and women who as you say have to perform otherwise they lose their funding. That happened to gymnastics some years back but now look.

The problem is that funding for school sports etc has been squeezed as well as the time available for them. That's where the Olympic legacy bit falls down. Schools are being asked to do more and more but with less time and less money. gte it right in schools and slowly over time participation rates increase.
Not to mention, with nowhere to actually do it. What with playing fields being sold off to developers for peanuts.

Edit: a little trim here and there.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Side note: Childhood of a Leader is very worth while seeing if you get the opportunity. Not sure it's as good as some are making it out to be - The White Ribbon, which touches on similar themes, to my mind was much, much more sinister and a better film - but the combination of an awesome soundtrack, disjointed in a good way narrative, plus an incredible performance from the child actor starring in it make it the film to see at the moment.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Going back to the Stock, Thingy and Whatsisname thing and not relevant to anything much at all -

I spent the other evening with Willy DeVille (not in the flesh 'cos he's dead). I thoroughly enjoyed it. Wonderful stuff.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

howsillyofme1 wrote:By the way 'rhythmic gymnastics' - what is all that about?

It is dancing surely.........if this is a sport then I am back calling for darts to be included!
This parody commentary on sychronised swimming had me thinking it was real for a while

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pala
Backbencher

Post by pala »

Very funny for first few minutes even though SWP

[youtube]hBoYl8mZjLY[/youtube]

Also, can I just say what needs to be agreed here is a way to distinguish political debate from personal abuse. If I describe a person's position as stupid then am I also describing the person as stupid? I don't know the answer to that. I do know that personal name calling is a waste of time and is also abuse. Perhaps another thread to propose some guidelines and then have a vote? Then actually enforce the agreed rules. I don't know.

Sorry for the interruption.
Last edited by refitman on Sun 21 Aug, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: video added
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

TobyLatimer wrote:

It is dancing surely.........if this is a sport then I am back calling for darts to be included!
This parody commentary on sychronised swimming had me thinking it was real for a while

But have you seen the commentary on the sailing?

Comedy gold.

http://www.altdriver.com/lmao/the-best- ... tary-ever/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:

Comedy gold.

http://www.altdriver.com/lmao/the-best- ... tary-ever/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brilliant!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

just been sent a PM by a member here accusing me of appalling behaviour today......oops!

I am sorry if I offended anyone but am not apologising for anything I posted to be honest - I thought some people have been here to be disruptive and have said so.

It is a bit of a shame as I thought today was looking promising with some good meaty political stuff to chew on, and then some more enjoyable banter at the end of the day

The Irish commentary was brilliant - thanks Roger
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:

Comedy gold.

I watched that (just to get in the Olympic spirit). Thank you - wonderful. My type of sports commentary!
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PorFavor wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote: This parody commentary on sychronised swimming had me thinking it was real for a while

Comedy gold.

I watched that (just to get in the Olympic spirit). Thank you - wonderful. My type of sports commentary!

'A lot of people here watching what is really a very boring sport' - lmao
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Is that a comment about the forum or on the film?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Is that a comment about the forum or on the film?

you are a tinker!!!
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

*Innocent face*
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PS. COK - is that for real and, if so, where is it?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:PS. COK - is that for real and, if so, where is it?

Cook islands - you would have thought they took have used Coi or something like that!
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Thank you. I disagree. They should be proud of their COK and not afraid to show it.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

howsillyofme1 wrote:just been sent a PM by a member here accusing me of appalling behaviour today......oops!

I am sorry if I offended anyone but am not apologising for anything I posted to be honest - I thought some people have been here to be disruptive and have said so.

It is a bit of a shame as I thought today was looking promising with some good meaty political stuff to chew on, and then some more enjoyable banter at the end of the day

It wasn't me!

My message is still in the outbox - can you not see it? (PS - it wasn't accusing you of anything)
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

ephemerid wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:just been sent a PM by a member here accusing me of appalling behaviour today......oops!

It wasn't me!

My message is still in the outbox - can you not see it? (PS - it wasn't accusing you of anything)

it definitely wasn't you...can't see the message yet
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Guardian Letters:
It is a sad day for British democracy that Momentum – the left-wing ginger group active within the Labour Party – has seemingly turned its back on non-violence
Told you. Astley. The real enemy.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

It seems neither of my lads have Osborne's Help to Buy ISAs just the standard ones. It's just they'd asked me about them after they were announced but I hadn't looked into them. Typical Osborne though not to mention other political 'elites'. Aren't there other bodies paying hefty fines and/or compensation for mis-selling and suchlike?
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Temulkar wrote:I am sure I can get Tizme to post pro- caroline lucas for leader stuff, and I can come up with anti Jonathan Bartley for leader stuff if it would add to board diversity?
Greetings all,

Just catching up. Happy to help out if I can. However, Murray is due on court in 4 minutes so for the moment I'll leave you to contemplate the advice of Brian May.

Happy to come back later and add a match report on the Cincinnati Final..............
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Corbyn and Smith promise to have woman at top of Labour party (Guardian)
Made me think immediately of Christmas trees, for some reason.

Edited to add link to the article (which isn't as frivolous as I'm being)

Edited (again) to try to remember to add the link!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... der-deputy
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PorFavor wrote:

was a bit surprised that the PLP didn't put up a woman to challenge for the leadership....no reason to have only 2 candidates and there was no need for Eagle to drop out as she had the votes to stand.....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

was a bit surprised that the PLP didn't put up a woman to challenge for the leadership....no reason to have only 2 candidates and there was no need for Eagle to drop out as she had the votes to stand.....
That was a rather funny business altogether, wasn't it?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PorFavor wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Made me think immediately of Christmas trees, for some reason.

yes, never really understood why there only had to be one challenger...the 'split the vote' argument seems bizarre and Eagle was at least as good a candidate as Smith....I just got the idea her heart wasn't in it - wonder why she initially stood?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

yes, never really understood why there only had to be one challenger...the 'split the vote' argument seems bizarre and Eagle was at least as good a candidate as Smith....I just got the idea her heart wasn't in it - wonder why she initially stood?
That and the vote is PR. You can't "split the vote".
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Dominic Chappell used £1.5m BHS loan to pay off family mortgage

Home of former owner was on brink of repossession before interest-free sum from retail giant paid off debts (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-mortgage

Dominic Chappell, the Hyacinth Bucket of financial shenanigans.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

PorFavor wrote:
Dominic Chappell used £1.5m BHS loan to pay off family mortgage

Home of former owner was on brink of repossession before interest-free sum from retail giant paid off debts (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-mortgage

Dominic Chappell, the Hyacinth Bucket of financial shenanigans.

How is this legal?

If I as much as claim something in expenses I am not entitled to, I have the HMRC on my back not to mention getting fired......
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:dance: Never gonna give you up ...

LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote::dance: Never gonna give you up ...

don't you start :D
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

A busy week just gone on the local by-election front:

Surrey CC/Waverley DC - no fewer than three contests here, firstly a CC/DC "double header" and then a separate DC vacancy. The county seat provided the best Tory news in this batch, though even here they were run close in this normally safe division by the localist Farnham Residents; their own share dropped by nine points and the Residents came from nowhere to take a third of the vote. LibDems (who came a fairly distant second in both 2005 and 2009) came third this time after sitting this one out three years ago - beating the Independents who were down 10 per cent on last time when they tied for second (again, pretty distantly) with UKIP, who fell even further to less than 4% - just ahead of last placed Labour who were also down in 2013. The linked DC seat saw a Residents gain from Tory, giving them both seats in this ward after they had split 1Tory/1FR last year - a swing of nearly 10% saw the Residents approach half the vote. LibDems (who won both seats here in 2003 before the ward became safely Tory) a distant third with 12%, ahead of both an Independent and UKIP. The other district seat saw a similar trajectory - Residents gain from Tory after splitting the spoils last time - but in this instance the LibDems (who again, won both seats here in 2003 before falling away) were a strong second with over 30% after narrowly missing a seat last year, driving the Tories into third. UKIP last with under 5%.

Thanet DC - better news for UKIP here after they held both seats (though the sitting councillors causing this vacancy had both left to join a splinter group before quitting) in an unusual "double vacancy" for two seats in this ward, which had returned three Labour councillors - though not always by big margins - in 2003 and the two subsequent elections, before UKIP swept the board in their "breakthrough" result last year. There was a 5% swing back to Labour - and their top candidate was fairly close to the second placed Kipper - but they may well have hoped for better given the fairly well publicised problems of the UKIP council since last year. Tories in third with just over 20%, also down on last year (they were competitive in 2007 and 2011 without ever getting really close to a seat) followed by an Independent candidate on about 10%. LibDems (standing here for the first time this century) and the United Thanet party - another UKIP breakaway, apparently - brought up the rear.

Kent CC/Gravesham DC - contrasting results in this "double header", the county seat (a two member division) saw a Tory gain from Labour in this "swing seat" in a traditional "swing" constituency and district - it returned two Labour in 2005 and 2013, two Tory in 2009 - this time round a swing of close to 8% and a Tory increase of 10% on last time meant they won a seat back here. Labour were not helped by a strong UKIP performance - up slightly on their previous 2013 high point to over a quarter of the vote - nor perhaps by the Greens taking 4% after sitting it out last time, ahead of the LibDems who actually dropped on three years ago to barely 2%. The district seat, however, saw a Labour hold of a fairly safe ward (3 returned for them in the last four elections, only 2007 being notably close) in relative comfort - barely any swing since last year as both Tories and Labour were down a bit due to the increased competition as both LibDems and UKIP polled non-negligibly (in the 8-9% range) after not bothering last year. This meant a slump for the Greens - the only competition for the "big two" on GE day - though they still managed to come ahead of the last placed English Democrats (2%)

Wandsworth - Labour hold in Sadiq Khan's former ward, and with a healthy swing of over 7% from the Tories since 2014 as their own share increased by double figures to approaching 60%. This ward has returned three Labour councillors in most elections this century, but 2006 (when Khan stood down here after being elected as an MP) was an exception as the Tories took 2 of the 3 seats - that looks a fairly distant prospect here now, even in this Tory "flagship" borough. Some movement in the lesser places, as the LibDems increased and leapfrogged the Greens who came third here two years ago - the latter's share more than halved. The "continuity continuity" SDP last with less than 1% - that is not even a "record" this week however, as will be seen......

Redcar and Cleveland - a LibDem hold and a remarkable one as they increased by over 30% to three quarters of the vote; this has long been a stronghold for them and even in 2011 and 2015 they safely returned three councillors here, not least due to a fragmented opposition last time round, but only a previous 2009 by-election was close to this level of electoral dominance. UKIP Labour and Tories all saw significant falls on GE day but UKIP fell by slightly less so edged out Labour when the opposite had been true last year, whilst the Tories dropped to just 3%. The separatist "North East Party" failed to make waves here (given this was once Yorkshire, maybe not massively surprising) coming last with just 1%.

Richmondshire DC - Tory gain from Independent, which means that after holding this ward's other seat in a previous by-election earlier this year they now hold both seats here for the first time this century. The outgoing Independent councillor had first been elected as "continuity continuity" SDP back in 2003, he stood down in 2007 (though another Independent got elected then) before returning in 2011 and being re-elected last year - all three times topping the poll. This centrist "heritage" was reflected in a strong LibDem performance (they just missed out on a seat back in 2003, but were last seen here four years later) as they narrowly missed out to the Tories who had to be content with a little over 40% now having beaten an Indy by 60/40 in a straight fight in this year's earlier contest. Independents dropped further this time to a little over 20% but that was way ahead of the last placed Greens who went down from a respectable poll on GE day to just THREE votes now (this result was queried for obvious reasons, but it appears to be correct)

A breather next week to end August, with just one (Scottish) contest.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote::dance: Never gonna give you up ...

don't you start :D

Too late, I'm afraid.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@AnatolyKasparov

Blimey. That was a bit of a marathon. Thanks.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 21 Aug, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... et-to-come" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Popular anger at the accumulated economic and social damage from the financial crisis and the counterproductive austerity policy was among the factors behind the Brexit vote. The more one reflects on the referendum, the more obvious it becomes that this is one of the most insane episodes in British public life since 1945. The implications for the future of the UK, the EU and the east-west geopolitical balance are ominous. Something, surely, has to give.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Last edit was bold, so to speak.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

RogerOThornhill wrote:@55DN

"Old Rusty" is neither thought provoking nor funny - just a tiresome right wing WUM who delights in seeing divisions on here and taking screenshots for his and his equally rabid chum's amusement.

Don't believe me? This is from this very afternoon...

:roll:
Yes Roger, he's a cock, but all he is doing is picking up on unnecessary and very avoidable spats and using them to take the piss. If I could be arsed, it's what I would do if I wanted to wind up squabbling Tories. He is a tinker, but but is gifted his tools.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:
HindleA wrote:Eph.You are seeing it one way I do not,equally cja,the most undeserving person imagineable was treated appallingly,my judgement is based on my code of decency and nothing else,no better or worse than anybody elses.You clearly took one side and apportioned blame publically.Needless to say I do think that helpful,just the opposite.Behind the scenes is surely the.way.
Indeed. Which is why cja and I had a personal chat about similar things the other day.

I stand by my view that there is seems to be a collective madness going on and some people are being hurt by it.

In my posts, no names, no packdrill. Life's too short to fight - which is why I'm having some time away.
There's nothing I wouldn't share with HindleA, Ephemerid.

I love and care for my friends on flythenest.
Goodnight, everyone.
cJA
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight.
Goodnight, PorFavor.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The real Northern Power House

If Manchester was a country it would be FOURTH in Olympic medal table

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... e-11776638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Martin Rowson having a rant
Martin Rowson ‏@MartinRowson 11h11 hours ago
You know what, I will renounce my lifelong atheism if God comes down now in fiery splendour and strikes dumb EVERYONE in the Labour Party..

..so that they can thereafter only communicate their visceral hatred for their fellow party members through the medium of dance. Come on God

Alternatively, everyone in Labour could, for an afternoon, simply shut the fuck up, stop defining everything external to themselves as the..

..."Enemy" and try, after they've had time to reflect in silence, on how politics outside totalitarianism is about persuasion & not.....

...unending screaming denunciation. This isn't socialism, however you choose to define it; it's a Salem courtroom.

Martin Rowson ‏@MartinRowson 5m5 minutes ago
Excuse me - my twitter stream was just hijacked by my evil internal twin sister. I apologise eternally...

https://twitter.com/MartinRowson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Well, it's good to know that Fox is concentrating on the really important issues...

Liam Fox: I’m taking over a wing of Boris Johnson’s Foreign Office

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... ign-office

Liam Fox boasted of taking over a “wing” of Boris Johnson’s Foreign Office during his first official overseas trip, it has emerged as the pair’s Whitehall row continues to rumble on.

Mr Fox, the International Trade Secretary, told a US radio show last month his new department would be situated near Downing Street to show how “important” the brief was being taken.

The newly promoted cabinet minister also said he would be taking charge of security exports from the Defence Department and finance exports from the Treasury.
:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.