Wednesday, 24th August, 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
extankie
Backbencher

Wednesday, 24th August, 2016

Post by extankie »

Morning all:)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday, 24th August, 2016

Post by yahyah »

I've just heard a trailer for this on Radio 4, thought it might be of interest to FTNers as some of us have first hand experience of depression, or may have a relative who has.

It is on tonight on Radio 4 and is about recent research on the a possible link between our immune system and depression, described as ''one of the strongest discoveries in psychiatry for twenty years''.

The Inflamed Mind. Depression: A revolution in treatment ?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37166293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's on Radio 4 at 9pm, repeated on iplayer later.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Nuclear waste accident 2 years ago may cost more than $2 billion to clean up

Interesting how what seems on the face of it a small nuclear accident involving just a single waste drum has triggered a series of consequences that could end up costing the US a small fortune.

Edit: fixed URL code
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Out of interest, does anyone know an estimate for how much Fukushima has cost Japan so far? Including externalised costs such as the higher price for fuel they're having to pay because they have to import it from abroad.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Out of interest, does anyone know an estimate for how much Fukushima has cost Japan so far? Including externalised costs such as the higher price for fuel they're having to pay because they have to import it from abroad.
I found this (from March 2016), if it helps -
The direct costs of the Fukushima disaster will be about $15 billion in clean-up over the next 20 years and over $60 billion in refugee compensation. Replacing Japan’s 300 billion kWhs from nuclear each year with fossil fuels has cost Japan over $200 billion, mostly from fuel costs for natural gas, fuel oil and coal, as renewables have failed to expand in Japan. This cost will at least double, and that only if the nuclear fleet is mostly restarted by 2020.

The reconstruction and recovery costs associated with just the earthquake and the tsunami will top $250 billion. Since 2011, Japan’s trade deficit has become the worst in its history, and Japan is now the second largest net importer of fossil fuel in the world, right behind China. (Forbes)
Don't know what the reliability track record for Forbes is, though.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/ ... f371ab6016
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://suesspiciousminds.com/2016/08/2 ... king-case/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tape recording of an expert (a SHOCKING case)

(Care proceedings case)
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PorFavor wrote:Don't know what the reliability track record for Forbes is, though.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/ ... f371ab6016
When it comes to climate science, very spotty. But it's a starting point (and those figures are horrific if even remotely close to being correct), so thank you.

(Was on my way to work, so couldn't easily look myself.)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FFS

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

French police make woman remove clothing on Nice beach following burkini ban
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:FFS

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

French police make woman remove clothing on Nice beach following burkini ban

Yes. That is disgraceful. I know the word is overused but I think it's apt here.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning All

Well I got a call from the Corbyn campaign last night and quite honestly I didn’t know what to say, which is rare for me!

Anyway, after much mulling I have decided. I am voting Corbyn, but with a heavy heart.

Corbyn doesn’t speak to me and I don’t feel he speaks for me either, in a way that Ed Miliband did. But in the end, Corbyn’s presence as our leader is not his fault, it’s the fault of the “moderate”, “Blairite” right of the party who have, IMHO, stifled political discourse and made it almost heretic to utter the views that Corbyn clearly holds dear and that appeal to a significant swathe of voters, resulting in an ever less appealing, less inclusive Labour Party.

This “straightjacket” on discourse has meant that the “right” of the Party have failed to bring forward a credible candidate. After Miliband, we should have had Burnham or Cooper, both of whom I admire. I voted for Yvette. But both their campaigns were hopeless. Constrained by the shibboleths from Blair’s era and terrified of what the mainstream media would say about them. And then the coup. FFS. Angela Duck. What a disaster. And now Owen Smith, who is so “competent” that last night he allowed himself to call his party leader a “lunatic” (apparently). He speaks to me and for me even less than Corbyn does.

I’m a party loyalist. I’m getting my nose-peg out, voting Jez and then turning my back on Westminster for a while. My local Branch is looking for renewal and is having a social in a couple of weeks to encourage new members (I’m not new of course) to engage. I’ll go to that. Maybe volunteer more in my Branch and focus on getting our local councillors re-elected and new ones elected. Support the campaign to keep Huddersfield Infirmary open.

Labour’s best politicians currently are away from Westminster, being Mayors, council leaders, Welsh PM, etc. I wish them all well and they can count on my support. The exception as I’ve said before is some great females in the Shadow Cabinet. Rayner, Abrahams, Thornberry. I hope their time will come soon.

Rant over ;-)
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Would anyone care to tell me the visual difference between someone wearing a Burkini and a wetsuit with hood?

Yep, I can't see it either.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ?CMP=fb_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I created the burkini to give women freedom, not to take it away
Aheda Zanetti
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Rant over ;-)
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Rant over ;-)
On your last point (not the rant one, the one before... I'm just being lazy with my phone) that is what I'm hopeful of. If and when Labour loses the next election badly, the MPs that are out are the ones who shouldn't be there at all (sadly, e.g. Abbott is probably safe, but I would not be at all disappointed to see the back of Streeting et al). The whole PLP needs a reboot.

Still hopeful that the younger, new shadow cabinet members get an opportunity to show if they have what's needed in that regard.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Morning all,
Not much in the media about Smith referring to Corbyn as a "lunatic".

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think we can all agree that if it were the other way around it would be all over the MSM
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

danesclose wrote:Morning all,

Think we can all agree that if it were the other way around it would be all over the MSM
I'm more dismayed at the hush by the PLP. John Mann etc, wherefore art thou?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Not to worry. Smith is proud to be standing up for ordinary people. Like the ones working at multimillionaire Richard Branson's tax-avoiding multinational company in their propaganda exercise against the leader of his own party. That's much more important.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/ ... tuc-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Total unsecured debt, including car loans and credit cards, but excluding mortgages, for UK households rose by £48bn between 2012 and 2015 to £353bn.

As wages declined, the real burden of repaying debt became tougher. The TUC said 3.2m households are in problem debt, defined as spending more than 25% of total household income on unsecured debt repayments.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

StephenDolan wrote:

There is a bit of a difference between saying of someone with a widely publicised problem with depression as "needing psychiatric help... very depressed and disturbed... He should pop off to his GP."

And what Owen Smith said. he shouldn't have said it (I think he is a sadly weak candidate, though obviously better than JC), but it was not anywhere near as offensive as Livingstone on Kevan Jones. Corbyn isn't mentally ill, and it is quite common discourse to describe someone who takes a view you think of as radically mistaken as "mad" or a "lunatic". Much worse has been said about me, indeed on this very board.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"You can do an analysis of journalists and their "profession"(as I have done)but in essense they are sneering shits "

Awaits for British Journalism Award
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:https://suesspiciousminds.com/2016/08/2 ... king-case/

Tape recording of an expert (a SHOCKING case)

(Care proceedings case)
That's quite appalling isn't it. The solution to this sort of abuse - assuming it is true (is the case still extant?) - would be for each party to have another representative with them during the interviews. But, money.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Wed 24 Aug, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:"You can do an analysis of journalists and their "profession"(as I have done)but in essense they are sneering shits"

Awaits for British Journalism Award
Turns out I'm a journalist. Who knew.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Wed 24 Aug, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

SpinningHugo wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

There is a bit of a difference between saying of someone with a widely publicised problem with depression as "needing psychiatric help... very depressed and disturbed... He should pop off to his GP."

And what Owen Smith said. he shouldn't have said it (I think he is a sadly weak candidate, though obviously better than JC), but it was not anywhere near as offensive as Livingstone on Kevan Jones. Corbyn isn't mentally ill, and it is quite common discourse to describe someone who takes a view you think of as radically mistaken as "mad" or a "lunatic". Much worse has been said about me, indeed on this very board.
Complete & utter whataboutery
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Whataboutme-ery
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

(Just a riposte to a journalists tweet at the same "level" (lack of))
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Three tweets from the chair of the Health Select Committee who may have some rather interesting questions for Jeremy Hunt once Parliament is back sitting.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

danesclose wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: I'm more dismayed at the hush by the PLP. John Mann etc, wherefore art thou?

Complete & utter whataboutery
Indeed. Unfortunately there's a lot of it about, not just here, Labour supporters in general.

Glad to see the Guardian are running a live blog retracing the Corbyn train journey. Essential stuff.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Three tweets from the chair of the Health Select Committee who may have some rather interesting questions for Jeremy Hunt once Parliament is back sitting.
If they hide the risk register behind a tree, it'll all go away.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

JonnyT1234 wrote:

Shred it, add it to the compost pile. Hunt is doing his bit for the environment dont'cha know. ;)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I presume the chased man eventually escaped the charging bull/cow ?
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

StephenDolan wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:

Shred it, add it to the compost pile. Hunt is doing his bit for the environment dont'cha know. ;)
Get Oliver Letwin to dispose of it
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

StephenDolan wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:

Only if the it in that sentence is Hunt.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:I presume the chased man eventually escaped the charging bull/cow ?
Watch for long enough and you'll see it never gets close to him. Horse still indifferent.

And I find I've accidentally posted another allegory for the Labour leadership contest...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tesco flags on strawberries conflict continues.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Is Jeremy Corbyn sitting on the floor of a Virgin train the only "important" thing that's happening in the (Guardian) world of politics and UK news? And I don't even support the man.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Bearing in mind the source is originally the Shit, former Corrie Street actor Tracy Brabin is purportedly standing for Jo Cox's seat in Batley and Spen.

Anyone know anything about it?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Speaking of seats, how long until the potential candidates for Burnham and Rotheramvs current perches become apparent?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... pendence-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scotland's huge deficit is an obstacle to independence

The "oil bonus" that nationalists once boasted of has become almost non-existent. North Sea revenue last year fell from £1.8bn to a mere £60m. Total public sector revenue was £400 per person lower than for the UK, while expenditure was £1,200 higher.

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2016/08/2132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PorFavor wrote:Is Jeremy Corbyn sitting on the floor of a Virgin train the only "important" thing that's happening in the (Guardian) world of politics and UK news? And I don't even support the man.
The Guardian's line on this was very pro-Corbyn

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... k-of-seats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amsuingly so, in my opinion, as the facts don't justify the headline.

Here is Corbyn's (very tetchy) response

http://news.sky.com/video/corbyn-feisty ... w-10549717" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it is August. We are allowed a laugh sometimes.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

SpinningHugo wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

And of course Livingstone has now been suspended from the party.

It was a silly thing for Smith to say, especially given his admirable support for mental health initiatives.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

In an effort to broaden my sources beyond right wing rags like the Guardian [now, now. Ed.] I am using Apple's News app for their iOS devices. It's rather fun in an unintentional way - quite a few crank far right US news sources are being thrown up by my interest in climate and other sciences and, boy, are they odd.

Anyway, I've inadvertently discovered what surely must be David Cameron's favourite website because of it.

SFW, in case you are concerned about giving it a click. No, it isn't RA.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PorFavor wrote:Is Jeremy Corbyn sitting on the floor of a Virgin train the only "important" thing that's happening in the (Guardian) world of politics and UK news? And I don't even support the man.
Fear not. Something much more important has turned up:

"Live updates as Will and Kate visit Luton in first appearance for a month - Mirror Online"

I'll spare you an URL.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Bearing in mind the source is originally the Shit, former Corrie Street actor Tracy Brabin is purportedly standing for Jo Cox's seat in Batley and Spen.

Never knew before that she was politically active.

She does, of course, have the inestimable advantage of not being David Miliband - another Bitterite fantasy bites the dust :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

I might tweet to Hodges and ask if he has an opinion on actresses becoming politicians
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:Bearing in mind the source is originally the Shit, former Corrie Street actor Tracy Brabin is purportedly standing for Jo Cox's seat in Batley and Spen.

Never knew before that she was politically active.

She does, of course, have the inestimable advantage of not being David Miliband - another Bitterite fantasy bites the dust :)

Nobody rational thinks David Miliband is returning. It is a piece of silliness that is not spread by Blairites. Quite the opposite.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Wed 24 Aug, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: I'm more dismayed at the hush by the PLP. John Mann etc, wherefore art thou?

And of course Livingstone has now been suspended from the party.

It was a silly thing for Smith to say, especially given his admirable support for mental health initiatives.
But not for this.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Breaking News: the guardian has learned that Thunderbird action man David Miliband will shortly be joining the cast of Coronation Street.

More soon.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

TobyLatimer wrote:I might tweet to Hodges and ask if he has an opinion on actresses becoming politicians
Boom!
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Is Boudica Buried In London? - Londonist
I don't know but I'd Boadicea if she was.

*Cough* carry on.