Tuesday 30th August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 30th August 2016

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
extankie
Backbencher

Re: Tuesday 30th August 2016

Post by extankie »

Hi:)
Anyone heard any news on Police investigating Tory electoral overspend/fraud yet?
Story seems to have been buried...
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

extankie wrote:Hi:)
Anyone heard any news on Police investigating Tory electoral overspend/fraud yet?

Easily the best thing on this is here

http://blogs.ft.com/david-allen-green/2 ... legations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

'Programming For Everyone - We will require that all publicly funded software and hardware is released under an Open Source licence.'

That could be interesting.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

extankie wrote:Hi:)
Have looked, but can't seen much new,
Guardian, from July:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... estigation

more recent:
http://m.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/cri ... story.html
"On completion of West Mercia's investigation a report will be presented to the IPCC and a decision will be made whether the case should be referred to the Crown Prosecution Service.
"This investigation is one of a number of similar investigations being undertaken across the country.
"I will issue further updates as and when any relevant information, that I am allowed to disclose by the relevant bodies, becomes available."
and a new one:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-37193011
A complaint that the electorate was misled over the Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner's (PCC) expenses is being investigated by the police watchdog.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said it was looking into a social media post by Katy Bourne during the 2016 PCC election period.

A member of the public complained she stated she had not claimed any expenses during her previous four-year PCC term.
The complaint alleged she had in fact filed expense claims of about £385.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Corbyn promises to 'democratise the internet' (Politics Live, Guardian)
What's all this about? (Genuine question - and yes, I have read the Politics Live blog.)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

The mind boggles.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

I'm mortified. I have, within the last twelve months, found occasion to thank both Temulkar and Tizme, on this very forum (or tried, clicking on my mobile has a variable success rate). Should I be doing the honourable thing and cancelling my membership, or struggle on with the guilt, cloaked by anonymity.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I don't understand how someone can be identified on Twitter, even if they use their real name - it's not like there's an address or date of birth to narrow it down. Facebook, maybe, people often post a lot of personal info, but Twitter? There's plenty of my name on Twitter, for instance, with no way to know which is me, I would have thought. Unless someone who knows an applicant has provided the information, I can't see on what basis they know which Twitter account is theirs.
What if the Green loving, Corbyn supporting Ben is someone else and they've just blocked a potential Owen Smith supporter? Even by cheating, scumbag standards this makes no sense. Is this letter even for real? Perhaps I've been watching too much X-Files, but I'm finding it hard to trust anything I find on the internet these days.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

As I said yesterday, last year most appeals against this sort of thing were successful.

The party apparatchiks are relying on people just accepting these increasingly bizarre rulings, so don't go along with them.

And McNicol has got to go.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

In the Torygraph today they're on about bringing back pounds and ounces. The mind reboggles.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:As I said yesterday, last year most appeals against this sort of thing were successful.

The party apparatchiks are relying on people just accepting these increasingly bizarre rulings, so don't go along with them.

Do we know this letter is real, then? And surely lots of people must go, if they think it okay to randomly find names on Twitter and assume it's the same person as an applicant. McNichol can't be doing it all by himself.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

frightful_oik wrote:In the Torygraph today they're on about bringing back pounds and ounces. The mind reboggles.
Just because they can and it's sticking two fingers up at the EU...and not because it's in any way sensible.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:As I said yesterday, last year most appeals against this sort of thing were successful.

Do we know this letter is real, then? And surely lots of people must go, if they think it okay to randomly find names on Twitter and assume it's the same person as an applicant. McNichol can't be doing it all by himself.
Well firstly he is the one ultimately responsible for this. And secondly, others probably need to go with him.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

Well firstly he is the one ultimately responsible for this. And secondly, others probably need to go with him.
Puuuurge! ;)

Luke Akehurst doing his best to make the next makeup of the NEC immaterial wrt party policy for the next year or so. Democracy hey?

The letter was linked to by Owen Jones on the twitter.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Willow904 wrote:

McNicol isn't doing it at all but he's (wrongly) become the focus for McDonnell's rage. I understand the £25 supporters had to supply their email address & twitter ID when they signed up so they should have no complaints if their own words were used in evidence against them. Johanna Baxter reminded everybody of how these decisions were made & sent this tweet when she became under attack again
Attachments
Re NEC.png
Re NEC.png (88.92 KiB) Viewed 15682 times
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

StephenDolan wrote:'Programming For Everyone - We will require that all publicly funded software and hardware is released under an Open Source licence.'

Yes, sounds a good idea, but it could easily get very complicated, very quickly.
I can see security issues with Defence related software/hardware, but also where something isn't completely new, but sharing components with other products.
eg. If public money is funding a development from a commercial supplier who also sells a related product using same parts (software of hardware).
Also a problem with software relying on reusing software libraries, where a different publishing licence is already in use, or hardware using bought in sub components.
There's also a lot of patent trolls out there, who exist purely to extort money out of others work, not sure if they could target a government over something like this.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its simple, Labour party staff should operate on the principle that new members are welcome - not something to be regarded with suspicion.

There does need to be precautions taken against entryism, but equally there needs to be hard evidence of this - not unfounded paranoid rumours. On other occasions, we are endlessly told by the self-styled "moderates" that Labour needs to attract people who previously supported, and were indeed members of, other parties. Do they really just want ex-Tories and UKIPpers, who moreover don't actually have to change any of their worldview?
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

frightful_oik wrote:In the Torygraph today they're on about bringing back pounds and ounces. The mind reboggles.
Well that was fun - I skimmed this translated it into pounds, shillings and pence for some reason and we (mr fedup and me) then spent 10 minutes working out how well we could reconvert. As an exercise in dealing with Labour party political shenanigans, which I had signed in to comment on, I recommend this approach.

Morning all
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

tinybgoat wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:'Programming For Everyone - We will require that all publicly funded software and hardware is released under an Open Source licence.'

Yes, sounds a good idea, but it could easily get very complicated, very quickly.
I can see security issues with Defence related software/hardware, but also where something isn't completely new, but sharing components with other products.
eg. If public money is funding a development from a commercial supplier who also sells a related product using same parts (software of hardware).
Also a problem with software relying on reusing software libraries, where a different publishing licence is already in use, or hardware using bought in sub components.
There's also a lot of patent trolls out there, who exist purely to extort money out of others work, not sure if they could target a government over something like this.
Yes, I'm assuming it's initially dealing with code built from scratch for non defence, sensitive IT projects.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Do we know how many seeking to join or having recently joined Labour have had their application(s) denied or have been expelled from the party shortly after joining within the last year in comparison to other years? Are more people denied membership in Labour now than other times? Are more new members expelled from Labour now than other times?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Just because they can and it's sticking two fingers up at the EU...and not because it's in any way sensible.
No, it's because we've got our country back at last.[\sarcasm]
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

I've, unusually, been reading the comments on Politics Live in the (vain) hope of gaining some intelligent insight into the digital stuff announced by Jeremy Corbyn.

Apparently, the ideas are either brilliant because Jeremy Corbyn is behind them or rubbish because Jeremy Corbyn is behind them. Oh well. Foolish of me to think it might have been otherwise.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frightful_oik wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
No, it's because we've got our country back at last.[\sarcasm]
The Land of Oz (and lbs).
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Once upon a time there was a National Curriculum review Expert panel made up of four people - Professors Dylan Wiliam, Mary James, and Andrew Pollard; and Tim Oates. The first three all had classroom experience - Oates did not.

So...it came to pass that Pollard and James abruptly left because they realised that Nick Gibb wasn't listening to them and had made his mind up in advance. I assume William felt the same way. But Tim Oates was in favour and still is...but oh dear...

Exclusive: Top adviser calls for rethink over 'really demanding' grammar test for 11-year-olds

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... ng-grammar

Tim Oates warns of a 'genuine problem' about testing primary children on subordinate clauses and fronted adverbials

One of the main architects of England’s national curriculum has urged ministers to rethink “really demanding” grammar content after problems with this year’s Sats for 11-year-olds.

Tim Oates, who chaired a government-commissioned review that led to the introduction of the new curriculum from 2014, told TES there was a “genuine problem about undue complexity in demand” in the content that formed the basis of this year’s spelling, punctuation and grammar (Spag) test.

He made his comments as headteachers’ leaders warned that heads could boycott Sats next year unless significant changes to primary assessment begin in the next few weeks.
:)

Dearie me, what does Nick Gibb do now?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

pk1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

McNicol isn't doing it at all but he's (wrongly) become the focus for McDonnell's rage. I understand the £25 supporters had to supply their email address & twitter ID when they signed up so they should have no complaints if their own words were used in evidence against them. Johanna Baxter reminded everybody of how these decisions were made & sent this tweet when she became under attack again
Thanks for this, but I'm still confused. The above pictured letter seems to refer to someone who has applied to be a member, rather than a registered supporter. Are prospective members asked for Twitter usernames as well, these days? And what's to stop someone simply not providing one, after all lots of people aren't on social media. What's the point of picking on the honest people, it hardly helps with infiltration. And if McNichol is in charge of running the party, he's in charge of this and is responsible whether he knows about it or not. On the other hand, I know nothing about the sources of these allegations, so have no idea if they are even true. I didn't have any trouble when joining Labour myself, but then I volunteer in a local project set up by one of our local county councillors, who popped round to my house to welcome me to the Labour party personally. Everyone still knows everyone where I live. Which brings me back to whether or not the person in the letter was reported by a local member who knew more about their allegiances than we are aware of. I just don't have the evidence to know what is true and what isn't, so I'll reserve judgement for now, although I'm glad the Twitter accounts being trawled were provided by applicants, I was beginning to think Labour staff had really lost the plot.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

I've, unusually, been reading the comments on Politics Live in the (vain) hope of gaining some intelligent insight into the digital stuff announced by Jeremy Corbyn.

Apparently, the ideas are either brilliant because Jeremy Corbyn is behind them or rubbish because Jeremy Corbyn is behind them. Oh well. Foolish of me to think it might have been otherwise.

This seems well informed

https://storify.com/pauloCanning/corbyn ... #publicize" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

This seems well informed

https://storify.com/pauloCanning/corbyn ... #publicize" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think any of the digital stuff was that bad, but I did find it was an awful lot of vague and varied ideas covering a huge amount of very different areas and must confess that although, like Porfavor, I read the live blog on it, I didn't take much in. From a getting people to notice and respond point of view, I suspect a few clear and practical policies to get broadband to all those places that don't have it and better mobile coverage in far flung places might speak more directly to people's concerns. It's possible Corbyn's digital strategy may address these things, but if so, I missed it. (I do have a migraine at the moment, though, and am having trouble processing information, so apologies if it's sat there staring me in the face :? ).
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Labour & Liverpool: young people and the party

http://www.theguardian.com/membership/2 ... ide-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still desperate to get the "intimidation" angle in. The piece finishes with :-

'I have been wandering around Merseyside for two months now and have still to talk to someone who has been a victim of intimidation and bullying. If there is anyone who has, could they get in touch? I would like to write a piece about this.

If you have experienced intimidation or bulling because of your involvement with the Labour party, please let us know in the comments or via this form. Your information will be kept confidential. '
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

StephenDolan wrote:Labour & Liverpool: young people and the party

http://www.theguardian.com/membership/2 ... ide-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'I have been wandering around Merseyside for two months now and have still to talk to someone who has been a victim of intimidation and bullying. If there is anyone who has, could they get in touch? I would like to write a piece about this.

If you have experienced intimidation or bulling because of your involvement with the Labour party, please let us know in the comments or via this form. Your information will be kept confidential. '
Interesting about Momentum being made up more of older, returning Labour members. I wonder if there's any solid evidence for this beyond the anecdotal.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Willow904 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Labour & Liverpool: young people and the party

Interesting about Momentum being made up more of older, returning Labour members. I wonder if there's any solid evidence for this beyond the anecdotal.
Maybe Momentum in Liverpool isn't typical of the rest of the country, there could be a lot of people who were affected by problems with Militant.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Afternoon folks,
Financial mismanagement in a Free School? Well, I'm shocked.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... e-11816689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.newstatesman.com/science-tec ... cy-decoded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The good, the bad, and the meaningless: Jeremy Corbyn’s “digital democracy” decoded
The Labour leader has promised to “democratise the internet” but which parts of his manifesto would actually work?
I found this article useful in separating out the various strands that Corbyn's digital speech touched on. As I said above, it covered quite a diverse range of things, some of which were pretty vague. A commitment to ensure a minimum universal broadband coverage is good, if not unique.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

55DegreesNorth wrote:Afternoon folks,
Financial mismanagement in a Free School? Well, I'm shocked.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... e-11816689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's an independent not a free school...think the EFA, for all their faults, would have picked up on the missing accounts by now.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Southern Health NHS Trust boss Katrina Percy resigns - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37221250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:Southern Health NHS Trust boss Katrina Percy resigns - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37221250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Her cut in pay will be hard for her to come to terms with.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Southern Health NHS Trust boss Katrina Percy resigns - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37221250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No cut. Her pay will stay the same for her new, advisory role.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
No cut. Her pay will stay the same for her new, advisory role.
Er - yes, I know! That was my attempt at humour . . .
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

tinybgoat wrote:

All of which is why the whole idea is a non-starter.

Another reason is that the government looks to some agencies selling some services as part of their business plan. This is regarded as a way to get income to part-fund the agencies and is quite popular with Conservative MPs it seems.

These services sometimes use software and hardware they have developed. Examples include the Environment Agency, VOSA and the Health and Safety Laboratory in Buxton. It would be a level of stupid not even Cameron and Osborne plumbed to give away propriety knowledge free of charge to their business competitors.

OK, the government sells off state-owned businesses off at well below value instead, but actively ensuring a business' unique selling point is destroyed just before putting it on the market would seem a strange thing to do even for Tories.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

On Labour membership application refusals, it seems someone I know receoved a letter over the weekemd saying her application to become and affiliated supporter has been refused. The reason given being she'd been a candidate or election agent for another (un-named) party within the last two years.

She's now concerned that at the age of 67 Alzheimers has kicked in hard and fast, because she can't remember ever being a member of any party, let alone being an election candidate or agent as recently as two years ago.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Again, they should appeal ASAP. I'm sure at least a few of these are cock-ups, mistaken identity or whatever.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

[youtube]FCpR_DlIr80[/youtube]
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Again, they should appeal ASAP. I'm sure at least a few of these are cock-ups, mistaken identity or whatever.
Is there an address I can send an email to or number I can call?
My wife received hers a while ago, but I've not received anything.
Perhaps it was because I posted those "Male Online" here
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

danesclose wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Again, they should appeal ASAP. I'm sure at least a few of these are cock-ups, mistaken identity or whatever.

There are details on the Labour website. All ballots should have been received by the end of August. If you haven't had one you can enquire at the following from Sept 1st onwards:

http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/leadership/info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My husband is an affiliated union supporter so just had an e-mail. You won't get a paper ballot unless you're full member.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Willow904 wrote:
danesclose wrote:

There are details on the Labour website. All ballots should have been received by the end of August. If you haven't had one you can enquire at the following from Sept 1st onwards:

http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/leadership/info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My husband is an affiliated union supporter so just had an e-mail. You won't get a paper ballot unless you're full member.
Thanks. I am a full member (as is Mrs DC) so should have received both
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

danesclose wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
danesclose wrote: Is there an address I can send an email to or number I can call?

Thanks. I am a full member (as is Mrs DC) so should have received both
That does look like an oversight then. Labour admin has been a bit rubbish lately. They forgot to ask me if I wanted to renew my membership. The first I realised was when they took the payment from my card, which was a bit poor, though I had intended to renew fortunately. Did you get the "you'll soon be getting your ballot papers" e-mail or letter?
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Willow904 wrote: Did you get the "you'll soon be getting your ballot papers" e-mail or letter?
Nope. Not a dicky bird
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

danesclose wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Did you get the "you'll soon be getting your ballot papers" e-mail or letter?
Nope. Not a dicky bird
That's not encouraging. :(
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Care firm [Care UK] criticised for promoting 'exciting' prison self-harm incidents

Comment in recruitment video attacked as ill-judged and offensive at a time when prison suicide rates are at record high (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -incidents