Thursday 1st September 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Re: Thursday 1st September 2016

Post by Tizme1 »

Btw many congratulations to Dr Roger OT [albeit a little late]
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tizme1 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Thanks for your honesty Tizme.
I just hope no one calls you a Blairite neolib elitist, hung up on winning elections, for daring to think it might be a good idea for a Labour leader to be able to appeal to a wider group than his own supporters.
;)

Hope you don't fall out with your son over it.
At least with FTN we can log off when it gets too heated. Not easy when you live in the same house.

I for one won't, but then people are also quite happy to call the other side 'cultists'

Continually posting these snide comments suggesting only one side has descended into unnecessary insults and intransegence is not condusive to bring back some of the departed members of the board!

edited for typos
I think this entrenchment is part of the problem though isn't it howsilly? From my perspective I can see valid points on both 'sides' and also, bad behaviour on both 'sides'. When my children were little they naturally would squabble at times and I'd get the 's/he started it' nonsense. Sometimes it was so silly and petty that I'd just say "I don't care, I'm finishing it - end of". Perhaps that's what us Greens should be saying to both 'sides'. See - another reason to vote Green. ;)

Tizme

Of course it is one of the key problems and in most cases it isn't entrenchment just someone taking a position and trying to argue for it

There are plenty of people on here who I do not agree with - on the leadership election for example - but I have no issue at all agreeing with them on much else and their posts are really good and balanced.....if the people support Own Smith then fine by me, we can disagree politely (and it is not as if I have an issue with Smith per se, rather that I am not confident he has the powerbase in the party to enact what he wants)

What I do object to though is the snidey comments like in the one I reacted to - attempts to make it look like one side is full on sugar and spice whilst the other is made of toads and snails....we all know both sides have people who have been culpable of unreasonable behaviour......although people being passionately for one side or another should not be sneered at so easily...nowt wrong with passion if controlled as much as possible.

There are one or two posters to which this type of behaviour has become the norm and have helped to change the atmosphere of the board

No-one is claiming superiority here, we can all have our moments that would perhaps be best undone but the sanctimonious snidey approach causes me to respond in a way that can only be described as childish.......

Just to finish, your posts today have been thoughtful and considered, as well as being interesting. It has been good to see you posting again.....I just wish some of the others could feel this board still is a home to them,
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tizme1 wrote:Btw many congratulations to Dr Roger OT [albeit a little late]

I forgot to congratulate Doc too.......remember to use if asking for money or complaining......
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

For those interested here are some of the NEC exclusions. Note, supporters for both candidates have been suspended.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/l ... z74gzoxbt9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

For anyone who hasn't received their ballot papers:
2016-09-01_220742.jpg
2016-09-01_220742.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
I for one won't, but then people are also quite happy to call the other side 'cultists'

Continually posting these snide comments suggesting only one side has descended into unnecessary insults and intransegence is not condusive to bring back some of the departed members of the board!

edited for typos
I think this entrenchment is part of the problem though isn't it howsilly? From my perspective I can see valid points on both 'sides' and also, bad behaviour on both 'sides'. When my children were little they naturally would squabble at times and I'd get the 's/he started it' nonsense. Sometimes it was so silly and petty that I'd just say "I don't care, I'm finishing it - end of". Perhaps that's what us Greens should be saying to both 'sides'. See - another reason to vote Green. ;)

Tizme

Of course it is one of the key problems and in most cases it isn't entrenchment just someone taking a position and trying to argue for it

There are plenty of people on here who I do not agree with - on the leadership election for example - but I have no issue at all agreeing with them on much else and their posts are really good and balanced.....if the people support Own Smith then fine by me, we can disagree politely (and it is not as if I have an issue with Smith per se, rather that I am not confident he has the powerbase in the party to enact what he wants)

What I do object to though is the snidey comments like in the one I reacted to - attempts to make it look like one side is full on sugar and spice whilst the other is made of toads and snails....we all know both sides have people who have been culpable of unreasonable behaviour......although people being passionately for one side or another should not be sneered at so easily...nowt wrong with passion if controlled as much as possible.

There are one or two posters to which this type of behaviour has become the norm and have helped to change the atmosphere of the board

No-one is claiming superiority here, we can all have our moments that would perhaps be best undone but the sanctimonious snidey approach causes me to respond in a way that can only be described as childish.......

Just to finish, your posts today have been thoughtful and considered, as well as being interesting. It has been good to see you posting again.....I just wish some of the others could feel this board still is a home to them,
Thank you. I understand what you are saying. We each have a particular way of writing and our 'style' won't appeal to everyone. I also belong to a tennis forum and there is one particular poster on there who irritates me. Or used to. Until I eventually realised that as well as different styles of writing, we have different styles of reading and perceiving. With all that reading and writing and perceiving going on, there's bound to be tensions. Especially in difficult times. Who knows, one day I might be able to read that poster on the tennis forum without resorting to rolling my eyes. No doubt it will be the next stage in my evolution to being a 'grown up' - long way to go mind. ;)

Fingers crossed that in time more FTNers will return to the fold.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:For those interested here are some of the NEC exclusions. Note, supporters for both candidates have been suspended.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/l ... z74gzoxbt9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that link AAW. The list of abuse being posted is quite mind-boggling :shock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 3h3 hours ago
Liberal Democrat GAIN Four Lanes (Cornwall) from UKIP.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Grangefield (Stockton-on-Tees) result
CON: 50.5% (+15.4)
LAB: 43.1% (-5.5)
UKIP: 3.6% (-8.8)
LDEM: 2.8% (-1.1)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I see snide comments are ok for some to make ;)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

and some pompous folk lack a sense of humour.

and the whole point of my comment to Tizme is that in no way could she be regarded as Blairite, but some people would regard her as one for considering that Corbyn doesn't appeal to a wider electorate.
But she will get accused of it by some. Note the word some, something some seem to not understand the meaning of despite a university education.

I have never accused all Corbyn supporters of being cultists.
I supported him myself for a time, my husband did too. Some, a small percentage thankfully are, as are people from other areas of politics including those who think Blairism is our only hope.

The only problem with using the blocking posts is that you still see people having a go at you in other people's quoted dialogue boxes.

And there are many people, lovely ones, who stopped posting last year because they felt marginalised because they didn't support Corbyn. More have gone this time because they don't support him.
All OhSo had to do was swallow her pride, apologise for calling Smith a lying snivelling sack of shit - something which could probably have gotten her Labour ballot papers stopped, and for acting childishly on the threads set up to try and provide a resource for FTNers.
If she feels she can't come back - then the fault lies with no one but herself. People who don;t behave

Same with Rob S. He told us his wife said he was being grumpy, so don't blame me.
He deliberately took umbrage at something I wrote about myself and Alex Andreou. For some reason he thinks everything is about him. And it ain't.

It is interesting that HS takes time to have a go at me, after my interaction with Tizme, which was based on some history between us and nothing to do with him, but never complained at posts presenting deliberate misinformation or swearing about Corbyn's rival. That says a lot.