Wednesday 5th October 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 5th October 2016

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 5th October 2016

Post by SpinningHugo »

Hard Brexit.

Labeling foreigners.

Inheritance tax cuts.

What has given the Tory party this opportunity to move right I wonder?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

You'd like today's Mo'mentum Trumpton tweet Hugo.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

SpinningHugo wrote:Hard Brexit.

Labeling foreigners.

Inheritance tax cuts.

Let me see now...

A government that for 6 years blathered on about getting net migration down to the tens of thousands while denying that they would miss it by miles?

A PM who - without needing to - recklessly said that he'd call a referendum?

A stunningly awful referendum campaign which seemed to suggest that we'd be in for an emergency budget immediately after the vote which nobody believed?

A PM who simply threw in the towel straight afterwards?

The lack of any decent candidates from the more liberal wing of the party?

That kind of thing.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10 ... ble-ahead/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Behind the smiles, the Conservatives know there is trouble ahead for Theresa May
I don't read the Telegraph very often these days, but came across this on Twitter and it's a pretty solid, well laid out analysis of where Theresa May is and what problems she has in store.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Labeling foreigners.

Inheritance tax cuts.

A rabid press owned by offshored billionaires, an emasculated BBC and an opposition dominated by MPs who don't believe in their own parties core values and despise its members, perhaps?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I could add in the unrelentingly awful coverage of immigrants by the gutter press over many years too as a reason for their tack to the right.

We're in dog whistle land right now.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

What about the weather?

Is it the weather's fault?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Traditionally this is the way the UK worked

When the government proposed stupid stuff, there was an opposition party with a credible leader that would explain why this was not sensible. This prevented the government doing dumb stuff because they knew they'd run the risk of losing power in an election.

I miss those days.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I could add in the unrelentingly awful coverage of immigrants by the gutter press over many years too as a reason for their tack to the right.

We're in dog whistle land right now.
Only an idiot like David Cameron would believe he could overturn the drip-drip of many years of anti-EU, anti-immigrant propaganda from the paper press with just 6 months of hysterical bollocks.

Although the anti-EU stuff had been around since Major's time, it was the onslaught of anti-immigrant rhetoric designed to fatally wound Blair (which it did) when the UK was one of only a few countries to originally lift restrictions for Polish workers, that really laid the groundwork for Brexit. If Cameron had actually wanted to stay in the EU and had bothered to look at polls over the last decade or so he would have known that an EU referendum was a huge gamble with the odds seriously stacked against a remain vote. He really is the worst PM I can remember, possibly ever. Just look at what he has done to Northern Ireland, it's a disaster and so avoidable.

The main criticism I'd lay at Labour's door is that they failed to oppose the referendum in the first place, which they should have on the grounds that their manifesto position was to only hold a referendum if there was to be a change to our relationship with the EU. In this they let down those who voted for them and although they wouldn't have been able to stop the referendum they would now be in the position to lay all the negative outcomes at the Tories door. As it is, Labour are as responsible for the current mess as the Tories and I'm almost as mad at them as the main culprits. And although Corbyn wasn't in charge then, he has long supported a referendum and I still can't forgive him, I'm afraid.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

SpinningHugo wrote:What about the weather?

No.

Do you purchase straw as you go or prefer a bulk bundle deal?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Labeling foreigners.

Inheritance tax cuts.

Well, this is easy. Backstabbing Blairites like you within the PLP who lost Miliband the last election.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:What about the weather?

David Cameron Stoked Xenophobia In The UK, Says Council Of Europe Report

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardell ... ncil-of-eu
Former British prime minister David Cameron has been accused by the Council of Europe of inflaming xenophobia and intolerance in the UK through his rhetoric on immigration.

In a report published on Tuesday, the council’s European Commission Against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI) said considerable levels of “intolerant political discourse”, particularly focused on the issue of immigration, had contributed to an increase in xenophobic sentiments recorded in the UK over the past five years.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Presumably JC has had a big crop and is busy

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actually, wholly unfair.

This is, literally, what he is doing this week

http://woollypedlar.co.uk/jeremy-corbyn ... ly-pedlar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Wed 05 Oct, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Apologies if this was commented on earlier in the week, but did anyone notice anything about it?

Why did the UK government act against a journalist on behalf of Syria? - the guardian
https://apple.news/AOxlQ3Z6HTBGJDFniLkSPIw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Is this mobile home the answer to middle England’s housing crisis? - the guardian
https://apple.news/AnsCGfDz7QbyI5adFHCvySg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Importantly, Peterborough’s problem is not one of rough sleeping. This exists, but official numbers are stable. What is pushing up homelessness rates in a growing, relatively affluent city, is the emergence of people with jobs who are evicted because they cannot afford to meet private-sector rents, or who cannot find an affordable place to move to after a tenancy ends. Says Chapman: “We are seeing more and more people who are working and who are coming to us for help. People who are employed but struggling, the working poor.”
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/science/liv ... unced-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nobel prize in chemistry 2016 to be announced - live
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... es-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grow Your Own doctors and nurses
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Back of the net!
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

SeeingClearly last night said
Anecdotal, with photos, letters going out to schools in several areas requesting information about children's origins, passports etc. Some kind of educational census? Four questions in all, much more detailed than usual ethnicity queries.
This is new information that schools have been asked to report on this year, so far as I know. All we've done is asked students in form, although we've always done that anyway because we've always celebrated that kind of diversity and always have a 'map of the world' display with arrows from pictures of students to their home country.

It's interesting, a phrase that has come up a few times for me in the last few days is 'Context is not a myth' - what we use as a celebration of diversity becomes a worrying threat when the government forces schools to collect particular statistics.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... of-queuing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Japan tests out 'self-driving chairs' that take the pain out of queuing
Nissan has adapted its technology to develop chairs that automatically move to the front of a line, eliminating the need for people to stand while queuing
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Back of the net!
Very good but - probably due to the limitations of Twitter - he left out 'Britain-hating'.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... of-queuing

Nissan has adapted its technology to develop chairs that automatically move to the front of a line, eliminating the need for people to stand while queuing
Once they include one that randomly pushes in and flicks the Vs for you, the British queuing experience will be complete.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... of-queuing

Once they include one that randomly pushes in and flicks the Vs for you, the British queuing experience will be complete.
Whist the other chairs look at the ground and quietly tut.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

City Hall official quits in wake of police probe over hate-filled tweets to MPs - Evening Standard
https://apple.news/AoHt0OgrhRbi0flFek0EfQA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of Sadiq Kahn's team has allegedly been sending offensive tweets to the likes of Hilary Benn, John Woodcock and Tory MPs using a sock puppet account. Originally appointed by Boris Johnson.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Laura Kuenssberg

@bbclaurak

May will also hint at introducing price controls on energy companies, altho there wont' be detailed policy announcements in the speech
8:38 AM - 5 Oct 2016

Ed Miliband, who was criticised by Tories when he proposed freezing energy bills when he was Labour leader, has posted a rather good response to those final tweets on his own Twitter feed.

Ed Miliband

@Ed_Miliband

Marxist, anti-business interventionism imho " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
10:25 AM - 5 Oct 2016 (Politics Live, Guardian)

Glad someone's got something to say.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@RogerOThornhill

Whoops! Sorry about that. I got overexcited at the rare sight of something good.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Nine out of 10 NHS groups failing on cancer care, ratings show - the guardian
https://apple.news/AgX7aAbUfQE66VUHmRyFnyw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember when CCGs were going to empower Doctors to spend the money where it was needed most, blah, blah, blah? What a predicted cluster fuck of horrific proportions. Again.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

By the way, I've got a problem with my keyboard (jumping on the keyboard bandwagon).

Not all keystrokes seem to register. It started yesterday - so sorry for any errors of the typo nature. I don't think I've been vigilant enough.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

adam wrote:SeeingClearly last night said
Anecdotal, with photos, letters going out to schools in several areas requesting information about children's origins, passports etc. Some kind of educational census? Four questions in all, much more detailed than usual ethnicity queries.
This is new information that schools have been asked to report on this year, so far as I know. All we've done is asked students in form, although we've always done that anyway because we've always celebrated that kind of diversity and always have a 'map of the world' display with arrows from pictures of students to their home country.

It's interesting, a phrase that has come up a few times for me in the last few days is 'Context is not a myth' - what we use as a celebration of diversity becomes a worrying threat when the government forces schools to collect particular statistics.
Can the report, once submitted, say, "Unlike Conservative MPs, all our students are from planet Earth."
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

9 politicians standing in places they probably regretted afterwards - The Poke
https://apple.news/ASBd8rA2mMBiCz0TjxluBgQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warning, features cocks and Hunts.

Edit: tell a lie, no Hunts, just a bunch of cocks.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PorFavor wrote:By the way, I've got a problem with my keyboard (jumping on the keyboard bandwagon).

Not all keystrokes seem to register. It started yesterday - so sorry for any errors of the typo nature. I don't think I've been vigilant enough.
I've got a problem with my keyboard too. Me.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Communist hordes spotted by the Torygraph scaling Hadrian's Wall. It's serious. They"re armed with knitwear.

Where's Jeremy Corbyn? Labour leader found buying his wife knitwear before walking Hadrian's Wall - The Telegraph
https://apple.news/AHTW3zEdCQHatF2OPKP0Orw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Self-driving chairs?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Watch them. It's armchair poetry in motion.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Ouch, a mere handful of days after boasting about our 5th place, the UK slips to 8th in the economy world rankings. Behind France. That's going to burn for the Tories.

Brexit turbulence and pound's 31-year low causes UK economy to fall behind France - The Independent
https://apple.news/ArNYTRxrRSgWpRv0BlmOfrw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:By the way, I've got a problem with my keyboard (jumping on the keyboard bandwagon).

i dn ntt hv anee prlm wth m kybrd
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Communist hordes spotted by the Torygraph scaling Hadrian's Wall. It's serious. They"re armed with knitwear.

Where's Jeremy Corbyn? Labour leader found buying his wife knitwear before walking Hadrian's Wall - The Telegraph
https://apple.news/AHTW3zEdCQHatF2OPKP0Orw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And to think. All the interviews and press releases we had from Theresa May last week. :roll:
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

adam wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:

You appear to be having a problem with your vowels. Take a Trumpaide to regain that warm and fuzzy hair feeling.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

adam wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:

Meneitheritsworkingfineforme.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

The Loneliest Frog On Earth Dies, Marking The End Of Yet Another Species - The Huffington Post - US
https://apple.news/AyjekBJndRMetTPOliGsLyQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yet another canary. But the miners keep on digging. Sigh.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

The reasons people are so scared of clowns - there's quite a few of them - Mirror Online
https://apple.news/Aav-qm3RgQwugHvdY5TTMxw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No. 1 for me: they're running the country. Bloody terrifying once you notice that.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

We love you just the way you are. x
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

SpinningHugo wrote:Traditionally this is the way the UK worked

When the government proposed stupid stuff, there was an opposition party with a credible leader that would explain why this was not sensible. This prevented the government doing dumb stuff because they knew they'd run the risk of losing power in an election.

I miss those days.
Yes, I'm sure the likes of Rachel "Rivers of Blood" Reeves would be opposing all this tooth and nail.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Good lord, it's the end of times... Dominic Raab has said something intelligent:

Underestimate Corbyn in age of anti-establishment politics at your peril says Tory MP - International Business Times, UK Edition
https://apple.news/AT6C4Hii8OWWkycCG1hOf8w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

SpinningHugo wrote:Presumably JC has had a big crop and is busy

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actually, wholly unfair.

This is, literally, what he is doing this week

http://woollypedlar.co.uk/jeremy-corbyn ... ly-pedlar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, he is.........on holiday. Given that it is normal for opposing parties to stay quiet during the various conferences (remember the fuss when Brown visited troops in Iraq during the 2007 Tory gathering?) this would seem a fairly sensible time to take it?

Maybe even JC didn't forsee the total descent into hell that the Tory s***fest would become??
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

This could get interesting:

Could Derry's Hillsborough vote on the Sun start a ball rolling? - the guardian
https://apple.news/AXTCjRCt2R26qKVJKD6ri7Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Dear me...
Hugo Rifkind Verified account
‏@hugorifkind

May praises people for "defying the Establishment" by voting for Brexit, when she literally was the Establishment they were defying.
:roll:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.housingexcellence.co.uk/feat ... ranslation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rent arrears: Lost in translation

New research has claimed an indisputable link between the introduction of Universal Credit and tenants getting behind in their rent.