Thursday 13th October 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Re: Thursday 13th October 2016

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Wild chimps filmed teaching their children how to use tools for first time - The Independent
https://apple.news/AB5whMSExQMaoZQiRsg4K-Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even chimps have a better education policy than this government.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

For those interested in following the court proceedings.

https://mobile.twitter.com/siobhanfenton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Boris Does Not Know What The Commonwealth Flag Looks Like - The Huffington Post - UK
https://apple.news/AIct5OXNfSSChuXb0CR31EA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I yield to no one in my admiration of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office,” he said, emphasising the second half of his department’s name.
Boris said sheepishly: “I am going to have to own up, Mr Rosindell, I am unaware of the exact configuration of the Commonwealth flag. What does it look like?”

To help Boris out, Tim Barrow, the political director of the FCO, drew a picture of the flag.
“That’s a very good drawing,” Boris said, holding up the picture. “That’s a lovely flag. It looks like a lovely flag but I’m not going to commit now to flying it everywhere.”

Boris also accidentally slammed Theresa May’s attack on remain voters at a select committee hearing today.

During the meeting, the foreign secretary asserted that everyone was a “citizen of the world”, unaware his comments came just one week after the prime minister denounced such people as “citizens of nowhere”.
Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to the right,
Here I am, the killer clown in the middle.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tupton Parish Council by-election today where successful Libdem North East Derbyshire Disrtict Councilllor candidate and a now Libdem ex.Labour Mayor of Derby are standing(usually uncontested)

A Labour and Libdem candidate are next door neighbours.
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 13 Oct, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:Tupton Parish Council by-election today where successful Libdem North East Derbyshire Disrtict Councilllor candidate and a now Libdem ex.Labour Mayor of Derby are standing(usually uncontested)
If there was any justice in the world, the Lib Dems would still lose.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Thangam Debbonaire returns to Labour's frontbench - the guardian
https://apple.news/AIWjSFcHiSrWpK5hpPMKp8g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you think anyone has told her?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Jonny1234-I wasn't clear Labour for yonks,usually uncontested.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:Jonny1234-I wasn't clear Labour for yonks,usually uncontested.
Gotcha. My comment still stands ;)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Thangam Debbonaire returns to Labour's frontbench - the guardian
https://apple.news/AIWjSFcHiSrWpK5hpPMKp8g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody congratulated her by telling her to "get in the sea"? :)

Seriously, good news that so many are defying the Bitterite diehards. Conor McGinn - who?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Thangam Debbonaire in the aforelinked article:
"These are uncertain times and there are real worries about the direction [in which] our country is heading. That makes it crucial that Labour is working as a strong, united team in parliament. We need to be able to effectively hold the government to account,” she said.

She added that she was looking forward to having an active role. “In the coming weeks and months we will be fighting for genuine parliamentary oversight of Brexit, opposing Theresa May’s divisive plans for grammar schools and putting pressure on the government over their inaction on Syria and the refugee crisis. I am looking forward to being an active part of that process.”
I am getting more and more hopeful that the leadership election has effectively lanced the pustulant boil that has been at the heart of the Labour Party ever since Blair was elected leader. It appears that Corbyn is being provided with some rope with which to either hang himself or to tie up the Tory party.

Probably unwise [edit: to be hopeful, that is].

Edit 2: added missing BBCode for quote
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Thu 13 Oct, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Bob Dylan has just been awarded the Nobel Prize for literature.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

HindleA wrote: ‘I want to leave my sport on a high’
Wasn't that Tyson Fury?

I'll get me coat
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:Thangam Debbonaire returns to Labour's frontbench - the guardian

Seriously, good news that so many are defying the Bitterite diehards. Conor McGinn - who?

So many,

Arf.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Bob Dylan has just been awarded the Nobel Prize for literature.

“for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

So many,

Arf.
About two dozen resignees have returned now. Probably more to come as well, especially if "democracy day" next month is reasonably amicable.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Ipso's Moses proves, once again, he was a clever choice for the post - the guardian
https://apple.news/AYAUprhVMQfO9Yc188Sh8hQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roy Greenslade is on a roll today. Not content with his cobblers about the media's role in people's perceptions of party leaders, he's now describing exactly how powerless the head of IPSO is when confronted with the press he is meant to be in a position to regulate then praises him for demonstrating by how much as if it were the greatest thing ever. Bizarre.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Theresa May told 'come and sort out these spending cuts' - Manchester Evening News
https://apple.news/A64_iDAI6Tx6HHyIWOPsx_Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Prime Minister May: government grants to provide public services in our city will halve by 2020,” they write.

“These brutal cuts will hit provision for kids, older people, poor tenants and community facilities over the next three years. This bleak future follows on from years of cuts under George Osborne that have seen vital services run down and over 3,000 public service jobs lost.

“You sacked the author of these past cuts, George Osborne. We are calling on you now to sack George Osborne’s projected cuts for our city.”
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

JonnyT1234 wrote:Ipso's Moses proves, once again, he was a clever choice for the post - the guardian
https://apple.news/AYAUprhVMQfO9Yc188Sh8hQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roy Greenslade is on a roll today. Not content with his cobblers about the media's role in people's perceptions of party leaders, he's now describing exactly how powerless the head of IPSO is when confronted with the press he is meant to be in a position to regulate then praises him for demonstrating by how much as if it were the greatest thing ever. Bizarre.
Greenslade is a confirmed "FREEDOM OF THE PRESS is SACRED" junkie, as are a depressing number of supposedly leftist journalists.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G's business blog:

Bernstein analyst Bruno Monteyne reckons Tesco would typically hold one to two-week’s worth of stock. So it might avoid serious shortages in stores, if it can kiss and make up with Unilever quickly.

Monteyne adds:

“While politicians can deny reality, a shampoo produced on the continent is now 17 percent more expensive.

This isn’t about Tesco or Unilever but about all UK retailers and suppliers.”
Some are saying Tesco's position is quite strong, that manufacturers need market access, but I'm not so sure. Unilever have some very successful brands that people may well be willing to go out of their way for. Although this row leaking out probably doesn't help Tesco's or Unilever's negotiating position, at least the publication of the row has primed shoppers for the inevitable price rises that will have to come at some point. Does this help or hinder May, I wonder? I find myself going back to AngryAsWell's comment earlier and wondering just how safe May's position as leader is.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Anybody congratulated her by telling her to "get in the sea"? :)

So many,

Arf.
About two dozen resignees have returned now. Probably more to come as well, especially if "democracy day" next month is reasonably amicable.
By far the most important ones were in the *shadow cabinet* not the junior minister positions. How many went back? Nia, and...

As for the rest, the idea that the majority of Corbyn's *original team* was populated by Blairite ultras, and it is that majority who are refusing to return is just a joke.

Corbyn by his actions made it quite clear that the talk of an olive branch was for the faithful only.

He has to be given time and space to fail. The PLP must be quiet and let him do so.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

MP calls for national product recall register after spate of fires - the guardian
https://apple.news/ADoOSLQI2R_CGXiNHUA7Tew" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With reference to something I linked to a few days ago regarding Whirlpool tumble dryers.

One of those head scratchers wrt, "why doesn't this already exist?" Then you realise, "Tories".
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:sleep:
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:Ipso's Moses proves, once again, he was a clever choice for the post - the guardian

Greenslade is a confirmed "FREEDOM OF THE PRESS is SACRED" junkie, as are a depressing number of supposedly leftist journalists.
I'm all for the freedom of the press. Freedom from the distorting and thoroughly malign influence of a handful of very right wing, very rich, white men.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I lived near an airport as a youth. Even the intermittent sound of planes going overhead becomes background noise after a while. Guests used to comment on the flights during the night - we didn't even notice them.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:In what chronological order will these occur?

The date of another Scottish referendum, another Labour leadership challenge officially launched, another England football manager fired, a general election called.
Via the power of Hugo-vision the following may or may not happen:

Another Labour leadership election
England football manager fired
A general election
A Scottish referendum
They could all happen simultaneously and we'd only get to hear the football story.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/want-trump-te ... 51459.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donald Trump misfortune telling machine. #trumpspeaks
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

we have our own version of course
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I lived near an airport as a youth. Even the intermittent sound of planes going overhead becomes background noise after a while. Guests used to comment on the flights during the night - we didn't even notice them.
Similarly, persistent and annoying whines are far easier to ignore if you wear ear plugs.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Great atmosphere on last night's thread. Have just read it and the badinage was really lovely to read, warm and witty.

Glad JA had a better day yesterday too. Hope it's another one today, and for other FTNers who are low or unwell, or caring for those who are.

We're getting away from Brexit mess and reality, going walking on the coastal path and looking for dolphins in Cardigan Bay.
Thank you, yahyah.
I love you, my friend.
:heart:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:In what chronological order will these occur?

The date of another Scottish referendum, another Labour leadership challenge officially launched, another England football manager fired, a general election called.
Via the power of Hugo-vision the following may or may not happen:

A general election
A Scottish referendum
They could all happen simultaneously and we'd only get to hear the football story.
Too true!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Deleted as they were ask for evidence and can't provide it
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Thu 13 Oct, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw

Colwyn Bay care home latest to cease business
Rosewood Healthcare nursing home blames finances as its elderly tenants with dementia are forced to relocate
oh damn you know it bites paying care workers wages you know what I'm saying can't do it anyone seen my portfolio sheeat
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Any work needs doing is worthwhile
just wages, protection, support and fair treatment
Any time, anywhere, anyone

Filthy profiteers lie calling some work filled by 'unskilled' labourers.
It really means skilled staff doing the work requiring their skill won't be paid.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I'm assuming this won't get much coverage in certain quarters because of the reasons given.
Safety fears in two-thirds of England's A&Es, inspectors say

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37634680
Safety concerns have been raised about two-thirds of A&E units in England, with inspectors blaming underfunding of council care services for causing overcrowding in hospitals.
(cJA edit)

I've been studying the material this morning, among other things

Autumn 2016
881,869 Adult Care Services (England) rated
INADEQUATE

http://www.cqc.org.uk/content/state-of-care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Outstanding
Good
Requires Improvement
Inadequate

The good news is improvement has been achieved some places
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:Deleted as they were ask for evidence and can't provide it
I'm intrigued now.......
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Marcus Chown ‏@marcuschown 5m5 minutes ago
I'm feeling that very soon there will be a vote of no-confidence in UK govt and a snap election. Labour Party - are you ready?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Deleted as they were ask for evidence and can't provide it
I'm intrigued now.......
Sorry, it was implied that a named gov minister was putting pressure on retailers not to speak about Britex in a negative way.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:Marcus Chown ‏@marcuschown 5m5 minutes ago
I'm feeling that very soon there will be a vote of no-confidence in UK govt and a snap election. Labour Party - are you ready?
I think there will be a Tory leader challenge but no election till new leader has feet well under the table - hopefully a real remainer!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TSB and Lloyds to slash interest rates on current accounts
More bad news for savers as banks cut returns on highest-paying accounts from January...

"Interest rates available on current accounts are to plummet, after Lloyds and TSB both announced they would follow Santander
in slashing the returns on their highest-paying accounts. A day after Lloyds announced it was halving the top rate available on
its Club Lloyds account from 4% to 2%, the top-paying current account from TSB has has also been cut.

TSB’s Classic Plus account will no longer offer a generous 5% on balances up to £2,000 from 4 January 2017. Instead it will
pay 3% on balances held up to £1,500. This means, instead of earning a potential £100 in interest a year, savers will earn
just £45."

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/ ... -santander" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... land-warns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Areas of NHS will implode this winter, expert warns
Dr Mark Holland of Society for Acute Medicine says service is on its knees as A&E performance in England shows fall
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Downing Street refused to comment on how retailers and suppliers should respond to the fall in sterling.
*Theresa May said: “It is a decision for companies how they market and sell their products … It is a commercial decision.”
Not true, unacceptable response from the PM.

*spokesperson for
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:
Downing Street refused to comment on how retailers and suppliers should respond to the fall in sterling.
*Theresa May said: “It is a decision for companies how they market and sell their products … It is a commercial decision.”
Not true, unacceptable response from the PM.

*spokesperson for
She's getting a relatively easy ride over the pound. Hopefully that's starting to change now tangible differences are noticed by Joe Public.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ver-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
German trade bodies back Angela Merkel's tough stance over Brexit
And yet at the same time falling over themselves to poach our businesses offer us a deal that's better than the one we've already got
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AngryAsWell wrote:Bob Dylan has just been awarded the Nobel Prize for literature.
They should have squeezed in Leonard Cohen too.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 59071.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Scottish Government will publish draft legislation on holding a second independence referendum next week, Nicola Sturgeon has said.
Oh god, not again.

Inevitable, but I can't stand it all over again. More hideous divisive shite for years. Brilliant.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Poaching. And I don't mean pears. Give it a rest with your nasty divisive ways.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Sigh. How often does it need to be said... it is impossible for the government to call a snap election. FTPA means that it is Labour who can control the if and when of any election. The votes of at least some Labour MPs are needed to pass the motion of no confidence in the government and they just aren't going to do it if they feel that they're guaranteed to lose.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

TR's Ghost - personal message for you
The truth ferret speaks!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »