Wednesday 19th October 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 19th October 2016

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday 19th October 2016

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Tories cutbacks have negative consequences (part 5).The prison service this time.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Can we just divide the country into people who want to leave Europe and be governed by Tories (they can go to say America, or China, neither of which are in Europe so it'll make more sense). Then the rest of us and our future pals from here and elsewhere can have the life we want here in that there Europe.

Since we've been physically attached to bits of France and the NL since Precambrian times anyway; fighting about whether we should be a part of it or not is inherently futile. People, on the other hand, have the option to ... er ... migrate.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The marvellous Refitman. Saying good morning cheerfully to millions (tens?) so that curmudgeonly gets like me don't have to.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Anyway. We'd better get cracking on a bit of colonialism if we're to make that 37% trade leap just to stand still.

I hope to be spending the day doing just that. Pith helmet can't be located at the moment which is why I'm still hanging around.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-3770 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Morning. 600 jobs at risk at Travis Perkins.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Good idea. I believe I have some third cousins five times removed in New Zealand. I'll send them a quick mail to see if they want to start importing large volumes of WI-approved Victoria Sponge.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Welsh local government pensions schemes have submitted a proposal to the UK government to pool £13bn of funds for infrastructure projects.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... n-12042074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Anyone hear David Davies btw?

Frightening. Sounded like an express editorial wet dream.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -call-home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The London borough with a '50-year waiting list' for council houses
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Brickgate returneth. The 2015 playbook has been dusted off. Antisemitic claims and now this. SMH.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

StephenDolan wrote:Anyone hear David Davies btw?

That's the dimwit who didn't seem to appreciate that the Bank of England had had independence from a PM telling them what to do since 1997.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Morning all.

Computer problems this morning. My dongle-adorned PC decided it didn't want to acknowledge that there was an internet hub it could talk to, after which I had to go for the IT helpdesk remedy - switch it and on again.
Paul Lewis ‏@paullewismoney 16m16 minutes ago

Scrapping annuity plans leaves a near £1billion hole in govt finances - £485m 2017/18 and £475m 2018/19 from extra tax on sums generated
Hmm...that Autumn Statement coming up is going to be a real humdinger.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.smf.co.uk/low-paid-self-empl ... al-credit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Low paid self-employed will be ‘worse off’ under Universal Credit
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government can 'unilaterally' grant EU citizens right to remain after Brexit
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I have to ask, do you mean the MP for Monmouth - or for Haltemprice and Howden?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Ha, yes I see what you mean. The description applies to both. The former, the one with the 'e'.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Ha, yes I see what you mean. The description applies to both. The former, the one with the 'e'.

I've just read this -
On the Today programme this morning Davies (who is MP for Monmouth and not to be confused with his namesake, the Brexit secretary, David Davis) defended his position.

We must not be naive about this. It’s no good Lily Allen turning up with tears in her eyes and all the rest of it - we need to be quite hard-nosed here.

People are desperate, I understand that, and they will say what they need to say to get in. When I was in the camp in Calais there were caravans with notices on saying ‘Come here, we will coach you in what to say to get into the UK’.

People in Britain, I think, want to help children but we don’t want to be taken for a free ride either by people who seem to have got to the front of the queue even though they clearly look, in some cases, a lot older than 18 ...

Someone who is willing to throw themselves on to an electrified rail line or jump into a moving lorry isn’t going to be terribly worried about having an X-ray. (Politics Live, Guardian - my emphasis)
Don't know what your problem is with him. He seems like a big softy . . .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://paullewismoney.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... stamp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BENEFIT RISE LESS THAN THE PRICE OF A STAMP
Millions of disabled people on state benefits will get benefit rises next April that are less than the price of a first class stamp.

Their benefits will increase by 1% next April in line with the September rate of inflation measured by the Consumer Prices Index. That rise will be the first for two years because in April this year their benefits were frozen after a period when inflation was zero or negative.

But for many the April 2017 rise in their weekly benefits will be barely be enough to buy a second class stamp never mind a first class one.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

"Guns don't kill people, toddlers do"

[youtube]vjlxXAy1_eE[/youtube]

Watch out for those 3 year old Americans

'Toddlers Kill': video speaks to absurdity of gun debate as it highlights a real issue - the guardian
https://apple.news/AlH3WnE13QGWM2A1xogfOJQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

You can see why David Gobshite is so worried about child refugees now. Could be gun-toting murderers about to go on a rampage. Fact.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

About those billions that the Royal Yacht secured in trade deal...

Shocked etc.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Saw this the other day and thought it quite amusing...

StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Saw this the other day and thought it quite amusing...

Thank God we have Brexit, real high powered vacuum cleaners, made by great British designers like Dyson. None of that low powered, foreign built muck.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2016/10/hu ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Huge government reforms are stopping the effective delivery of justice
NeilBB
Backbencher

Post by NeilBB »

http://rightsinfo.org/top-50-tweeters-human-rights/

Number 42 on the list made me chuckle
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://evolvepolitics.com/slur-against- ... tle-lines/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DWP exploiting North-East rivalry with adverts demanding Newcastle residents report Sunderland benefit claimants
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:Good idea. I believe I have some third cousins five times removed in New Zealand. I'll send them a quick mail to see if they want to start importing large volumes of WI-approved Victoria Sponge.
On the subject of trade...

:D
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

JonnyT1234 wrote:You can see why David Gobshite is so worried about child refugees now. Could be gun-toting murderers about to go on a rampage. Fact.
That's more or less what he said on Victoria D this am.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Can we just divide the country into people who want to leave Europe and be governed by Tories (they can go to say America, or China, neither of which are in Europe so it'll make more sense). Then the rest of us and our future pals from here and elsewhere can have the life we want here in that there Europe.

Since we've been physically attached to bits of France and the NL since Precambrian times anyway; fighting about whether we should be a part of it or not is inherently futile. People, on the other hand, have the option to ... er ... migrate.
Best idea I've read in a long time.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... n-disraeli" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On Brexit, Theresa May is borrowing from the tactics of Benjamin Disraeli
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bda.org/news-centre/latest- ... hical.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

X-rays for young asylum seekers: inaccurate and unethical
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:https://www.bda.org/news-centre/latest- ... hical.aspx

X-rays for young asylum seekers: inaccurate and unethical
We've had enough of experts. Poll the sun readers. Let them decide.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

A Labour internal investigation has found that Angela Eagle received hundreds of “abusive, homophobic, and frightening” messages from party members.

It also concluded that it was “highly likely” that a window vandalised at her office building – with a brick according to the report – was related to her shortlived leadership challenge to Jeremy Corbyn.

The investigation was conducted following complaints and counter-complaints about events in her local party, Wallasey. It was carried out by officials and upheld by a subcommittee of the party’s ruling body.

Eagle said she was grateful that Corbyn had attended the meeting and expressed sympathy for her and staff over the abuse they had received.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ur-members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's impossible to work and/or live with others denying reality, becoming abusive when reality is pointed out as real.
I've never understood the brick-throwing incident and the problem others have acknowledging the threat it presented.
A Labour MP has been murdered. Other Labour MPs threatened ceaselessly. It's terrifying.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/martyn- ... 28196.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Housing Is A Basic Need and a Human Right
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:
A Labour internal investigation has found that Angela Eagle received hundreds of “abusive, homophobic, and frightening” messages from party members.

It also concluded that it was “highly likely” that a window vandalised at her office building – with a brick according to the report – was related to her shortlived leadership challenge to Jeremy Corbyn.

The investigation was conducted following complaints and counter-complaints about events in her local party, Wallasey. It was carried out by officials and upheld by a subcommittee of the party’s ruling body.

Eagle said she was grateful that Corbyn had attended the meeting and expressed sympathy for her and staff over the abuse they had received.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ur-members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's impossible to work and/or live with others denying reality, becoming abusive when reality is pointed out as real.
I've never understood the brick-throwing incident and the problem others have acknowledging the threat it presented.
A Labour MP has been murdered. Other Labour MPs threatened ceaselessly. It's terrifying.
I guess we'll agree to disagree on the fundamental premise.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Watching the Edu select committee on teacher recruitment and retention.

Suella Fernandes only contribution seems to have been to plug Michaela Community School after a shout-out from her mate Nick Gibb.

And Gibb had the nerve to say he was in favour of evidence-based schooling...but is in favour of grammars!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Boris was in sixth form at Eton when this pic was taken. So, yeah, not so much for demonising child refugees with this app, eh?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

What 'fundamental premise'?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mungos.org/press_office/2669 ... me-dangers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nowhere safe to stay: Homeless people “told to sleep rough” despite extreme dangers

New research out today from homelessness charity St Mungo’s has revealed that 129 rough sleepers died in London since 2010 – an average of one rough sleeper dying every fortnight – while some people, shockingly, were told by councils to sleep rough to access support.

Did my bit to lessen numbers in the '80s,when I made the soup in nightly soup run.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:About those billions that the Royal Yacht secured in trade deal...

Shocked etc.
Should do a deal - Brenda can have her vanity project as long as it is officially named Boaty McBoatface?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:About those billions that the Royal Yacht secured in trade deal...

Shocked etc.
Should do a deal - Brenda can have her vanity project as long as it is officially named Boaty McBoatface?
Beg to differ
QueenyMcQueenface has a better ring to it
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Please stop it with the "Colin" crap. (No offence intended to Colin himself, you understand.)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
citizenJA wrote: It's impossible to work and/or live with others denying reality, becoming abusive when reality is pointed out as real.
That a brick was thrown through her constituency office window.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I am interested how this inquiry can be so sure that brick was politically related, it seems that the main "evidence" there is the timing.

There is no doubt that Eagle got some horrible abuse (though again, I'm not sure how it can be stated with such certainty that so many were actual party members) and that is completely unacceptable. But its not confined to any one faction - Corbyn himself gets death threats and similar stuff on a regular basis.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: I guess we'll agree to disagree on the fundamental premise.
That a brick was thrown through her constituency office window.
'...a window vandalised at her office building – with a brick according to the report...'
This happened
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Please stop it with the "Colin" crap. (No offence intended to Colin himself, you understand.)
Beg to differ, I think it has its uses on occasion. Corbyn generally did OK, though he did allow May that bit of bluster at the end.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: But its not confined to any one faction - Corbyn himself gets death threats and similar stuff on a regular basis.
"Blame on all sides"

All this abuse and so on was an equivalent problem before 2015 was it?

Something has changed.