Friday 21st October 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 21st October 2016

Post by Willow904 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Scottish Westminster voting intention:
SNP: 49% (-1)
CON: 20% (+5)
LAB: 17% (-7)
LDEM: 8% (-)
(via BMG / 28 Sep - 04 Oct)
Chgs. vs. GE2015

I don't think I've ever been this sad & heavy hearted over politics :(
Labour have nothing to offer those who oppose the Tories, they're too weak. And they have nothing to offer those who oppose Brexit, they're too divided. I've always supported the union, but faced with current government, if I was Scottish I'd be behind the SNP right now. At least they opposed the referendum, even if they were unable to stop it they showed themselves to be the only main party with an iota of common sense in this whole debacle.

Edited to add that the point about Labour being unclear on Brexit is that those who support it will incline to the Tories, while those against will incline to the SNP, leaving Labour without a role. I'm not sure that was clear in my above comment.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

James Melville
‏@JamesMelville
Sept UK fiscal deficit £10.6bn, up 14.5% on year.
Despite all the public services cuts, UK national debt has doubled to £1.7trn since 2010.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Keir StarmerVerified account
‏@Keir_Starmer Keir Starmer Retweeted JOHN NICOLSON M.P.
Govt talks out 'Turing Bill': wrong decision: with political will, these wrongs could have been righted. @MrJohnNicolson has been let down.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AngryAsWell wrote:Keir StarmerVerified account
‏@Keir_Starmer Keir Starmer Retweeted JOHN NICOLSON M.P.
Govt talks out 'Turing Bill': wrong decision: with political will, these wrongs could have been righted. @MrJohnNicolson has been let down.

A pardon was always wrong

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2016 ... -is-wrong/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

AngryAsWell wrote:James Melville
‏@JamesMelville
Despite all the public services cuts, UK national debt has doubled to £1.7trn since 2010.
Due to lower than expected Corporation Tax receipts. Think George might have had his Laffer Curve upside down
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Womble44 wrote:
‏@JamesMelville
Due to lower than expected Corporation Tax receipts. Think George might have had his Laffer Curve upside down
It will only get worse, I would have thought. Retailers will be juggling higher costs because of the weak pound with the need to retain market share with customers unable to absorb price rises because of stagnant wages. They'll be facing drops in profit, which means less tax for the government.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

Willow904 wrote:
Womble44 wrote:
‏@JamesMelville
It will only get worse, I would have thought. Retailers will be juggling higher costs because of the weak pound with the need to retain market share with customers unable to absorb price rises because of stagnant wages. They'll be facing drops in profit, which means less tax for the government.
Yep. People were told though
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Womble44 wrote:
‏@JamesMelville
Or at the very least, kinked.
Does his depravity know no bounds?
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

tinybgoat wrote:
Womble44 wrote:
‏@JamesMelville
Or at the very least, kinked.
Does his depravity know no bounds?
Hehe
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Willow904 wrote:
Chgs. vs. GE2015

Labour have nothing to offer those who oppose the Tories, they're too weak. And they have nothing to offer those who oppose Brexit, they're too divided. I've always supported the union, but faced with current government, if I was Scottish I'd be behind the SNP right now. At least they opposed the referendum, even if they were unable to stop it they showed themselves to be the only main party with an iota of common sense in this whole debacle.

Edited to add that the point about Labour being unclear on Brexit is that those who support it will incline to the Tories, while those against will incline to the SNP, leaving Labour without a role. I'm not sure that was clear in my above comment.
I agree and I too would probably vote for independence if I lived in Scotland.

However, Sturgeon really scored an own goal by her hostility to Labour and her and her party's role in smearing Labour as 'Red Tories'. For her, as far as the Tories were concerned, it was a case of my enemy's enemy is my friend - however much she may have protested otherwise. If Ed had been PM we'd have never have been in this abysmal Brexit situation. Many of the people who voted to leave did so as a direct result of austerity and the running down of the NHS, all the stuff for which the Tories can be held responsible for.

I can't see May being very cooperative regarding Sturgeon's demand for another Referendum. We could consequently face a situation like Ireland and the Troubles. Sturgeon should have realised you can never trust the Tories.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Twitters down...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:LibDems and Labour (just) outpolled the Tories in Witney. That only previously happened in the 1997 and 2001 Labour landslides.
Yes, but they've swapped places, with the Libdems taking 30% of the vote this time round when it was Labour taking 30% back in 1997. So not especially encouraging for Labour, although Corbyn doesn't seem to have made much difference one way or another with Labour on a similar percentage to the 2015 GE, I believe.
Interesting too that Labour membership in the constituency more than doubled from 500 to 1200, but the vote still fell.
It would probably have fallen further, but for that.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hi.

Thanks for the messages. :hug:

Have been otherwise occupied as the weather's been good and we had a lovely day out yesterday to Pembrokeshire.

Agree with you AngryAsWell. Was also disheartened to hear that Milne may be staying in role.

Also I've been working on a new hairdo, floral frock and brushing up on my feather duster technique and trolling around.
Now I've been anointed FTN's Hyacinth Bucket [pronounced Bouquet, if you please] I don't want to disappoint.
Last edited by yahyah on Fri 21 Oct, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AngryAsWell wrote:Twitters down...
Good. That's a start to establishing some sort of normality.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have I missed any good news ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:Have I missed any good news ?
Yes, the two by-elections don't really back up the depressing polls. I genuinely think a significant part of the current Tory "support" is media driven froth.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Is it not a wee bit depressing that Labour came third in Witney ?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Twitters down...
Hacked or cracked, I wonder?!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not really, see my previous posts. Its the sort of seat that will literally never vote Labour, but might for the LibDems in the right circumstances.

Labour's vote did not collapse.

(btw some LibDems think that given a few more weeks of campaigning they might have made it genuinely close - the Tories will not be looking forward to any Richmond Park contest now)
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

yahyah wrote:Is it not a wee bit depressing that Labour came third in Witney ?
To be fair Labour were never going to do well in Witney. It may also be that some Labour leaning folk voted tactically for Liz Leffman
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 74506.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Internet outage takes down Twitter, Netflix, PayPal and many of the web's most visited websites
That'll be "hacked" then.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

This is good news, although about a very depressing and sad case.

It's taken thirty years for ex-police superintendent Gordon Angelsea to face proper justice for his appalling sexual abuse of boys in care homes in North Wales.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... boys-1980s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 74506.html
Internet outage takes down Twitter, Netflix, PayPal and many of the web's most visited websites
My goodness, poor Louise Mensch and Donald Trump. No twitter, what will they do ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... t-12060920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hain's response is not surprising.

That's LetsSkip's neck of the woods, maybe if she pops in again she may have some local knowledge ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

This is for LetsSkip. She asked me once about how Plaid in Ceredigion handled austerity.

They get in PricewaterhouseCoopers and pay them a lot of money, that's how.
Our council leader will not discuss the contract she agreed with them and gets cross when pressed on it.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... r-12058724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:
Willow904 wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 74506.html
My goodness, poor Louise Mensch and Donald Trump. No twitter, what will they do ?
Facebook? Tumblr? Snapchat? Pinterest? Instagram? WhatsApp?

Alas, I doubt it's that easy to shut them up :D
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

The Daily Mash:

Theresa May loses Britain in late-night poker game

THE prime minister has lost British sovereignty to Germany in a game of poker at the European summit in Brussels.

Theresa May was invited into the 2am game on the pretext that it would be “good practice” for upcoming Brexit negotiations, and despite inexperience enjoyed an initial run of luck.

An onlooker said: “They played for matches at first, to teach her the rules, but Theresa was doing so well that Charles Michel of Belgium suggested they ‘make it interesting’.

“She won Luxembourg with a queen-jack bluff and managed to build up a little pot of Baltic states, but when she tried to leave the table Hollande said it was only polite to give everyone a chance to win it back.

“Within two hands she’d lost Scotland to an inside straight, went white as a sheet saying Nicola would kill her, then compounded the mistake by going all in when Merkel had a flush.

“Britain is run from Germany now, Brexit isn’t happening, and its people are slaves cruelly forced to develop a stable manufacturing base and invest in renewable energy.”

May said: “I have learned that keeping your hand secret is not the only thing it takes to win at poker. You also need to know how the game works and how strong the other players’ hands are.

“Unfortunately I have learned this just slightly too late.”
Oh, if only, if only!
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:
Chgs. vs. GE2015

Quite so. Labour is slowly deflating.

If things are this bad with pollsters who historically give Labour better ratings, imagine ComRes and TNS.

SNP would be a good opposition, were it not for the fact that every issue is seen through independence.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The Guardian appears to be down as well, now. I might have watch telly or something :o
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

yahyah wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... t-12060920

That's LetsSkip's neck of the woods, maybe if she pops in again she may have some local knowledge ?

Hiya yahyah, it's actually the seat I reside in, contrary to what was written early there's really no mitigating circumstances, a very popular, down to earth councillor died, a very good man who got things done, admittedly a favour here and a favour there, he didn't bullshit people and was straight as they came, people liked him, his proposed replacement was of the same ilk, I don't know why the vote collapsed, it's all very depressing, locally and bloody nationally.

Only thing keeping me going is the, hopefully complete anhilation of the GOP.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

False alarm. Guardian's still there. Nothing worth reading, though. I'll still have to watch some telly. Night all!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Evenin' all.

Oh ....
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Evenin' all.

Oh ....
I'm still around! We can be friends!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Chgs. vs. GE2015

Quite so. Labour is slowly deflating.

If things are this bad with pollsters who historically give Labour better ratings, imagine ComRes and TNS.

SNP would be a good opposition, were it not for the fact that every issue is seen through independence.
God forbid that anyone would see every issue through a particular political lens.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
yahyah wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... t-12060920

Hiya yahyah, it's actually the seat I reside in, contrary to what was written early there's really no mitigating circumstances, a very popular, down to earth councillor died, a very good man who got things done, admittedly a favour here and a favour there, he didn't bullshit people and was straight as they came, people liked him, his proposed replacement was of the same ilk, I don't know why the vote collapsed, it's all very depressing, locally and bloody nationally.

Only thing keeping me going is the, hopefully complete anhilation of the GOP.
Thanks for that hopeful comment LetsSkip - indeed the US taking a more hopeful turn (regardless of some aspects of Hilary) is likely to feed through here at some point....
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Is there life on Mars?
taxonomy.jpg
taxonomy.jpg (68.77 KiB) Viewed 10585 times
scientists discover evolutionary link between clangers and wombles.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

And can I just say that surely the conclusion that we should draw from any bad Labour performances is that Labour (indeed any party) does badly when it is divided. Full stop.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I have the pleasure of working along those who consider themselves on some kind of moral high ground.

Makes me .... seethe.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:And can I just say that surely the conclusion that we should draw from any bad Labour performances is that Labour (indeed any party) does badly when it is divided. Full stop.
I agree. Although I live in a constituency very similar to Witney, should I be voting Labour or Libdem? I don't want Tories, but libdems don't deserve trust on EU, after all? They haven't even signed a pledge on it
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

I'm writing on my phone, in case anyone is confused by my random punctuation
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 74066.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
House of Lords future at risk if it tries to block Brexit, leading cabinet minister warns
And all of our future at risk anyway.
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Fri 21 Oct, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 73076.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EU leaders make Theresa May wait until 1am to deliver five-minute Brexit speech, before ignoring her
Yest but we're BRITISH! That's the main thing eh chaps?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Womble44 wrote:I'm writing on my phone, in case anyone is confused by my random punctuation
PF will be on you like a whippet after a rabbit.
If that's a phrase.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Willow904

Night night!
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:And can I just say that surely the conclusion that we should draw from any bad Labour performances is that Labour (indeed any party) does badly when it is divided. Full stop.

Quite so.

Which is why electing someone who it was ridiculous to expect to be able to lead a PLP with completely different views was such destructive folly.

(Not that it really makes much difference. Even if the party pretended to unite behind JC, the polls would still be dire. Corbyn doesn't look like a PM in waiting to anyone.)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@tinyclanger2
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

yes?
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

SpinningHugo wrote:

Quite so.

Which is why electing someone who it was ridiculous to expect to be able to lead a PLP with completely different views was such destructive folly.

(Not that it really makes much difference. Even if the party pretended to unite behind JC, the polls would still be dire. Corbyn doesn't look like a PM in waiting to anyone.)
Who would you recommend instead? If they'd have picked a focus group approved candidate, people like me would not be voting Labour, I.e. If I vote labour it is to improve their vote share, I'm having a Tory MP whether I like it or not. What impact do you think people in situations like mine have on polls? It's easy to register a protest vote if it makes no difference
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:yes?

I thought I'd try my hand at being enigmatic.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

we've been here before and it never goes well. Realistically, following the legitimisation of hatred, Pim Fortuyn stylee, Labour's biggest problem is that the country has liberated selfish racist bigotry