Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd October 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd October 2016

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd October 2016

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

This was one of Andy Coulson's ''productions'' as the piece calls it. Report of illegality under US law where the alleged offence occurred.

https://www.byline.com/project/59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bob Dylan criticised as 'impolite and arrogant' by Nobel academy member

Singer-songwriter’s failure to respond to phone calls from the Swedish Academy after being awarded the Nobel literature prize ‘unprecedented’ (Guardian)
That'll teach 'em not to have awarded it to Leonard Cohen (if a song-writer were to be the chosen winner).

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/ ... emy-member
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Dylan is behaving no differently to them as he does to everybody else. He is a genius, but also a bit of a prat quite frankly :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Dylan is behaving no differently to them as he does to everybody else. He is a genius, but also a bit of a prat quite frankly :)
Yes - a bit daft of the Nobel people to think that he'd change just for this occasion.

I don't seriously suggest that being polite is a prerequisite for being the Nobel prize winner. I just happen to think that Leonard Cohen is the better writer (although some of Bob Dylan's stuff is pretty impressive too; and he probably scores on the "it's passed into everyday language" front, too).

Edited - tidy up
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Still no sign of cJA, I note. Where are you?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I can't see any news on progress (or otherwise) on the Canada\EU deal. Can anyone else?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

David Prescott
‏@DavidPrescott
After six happy years at @Commucan, I'm proud to confirm that from December I'll be @jeremycorbyn's new Political Advisor & Speechwriter.

Good? Bad?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Oh, very much a plus I would say.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I can't see any news on progress (or otherwise) on the Canada\EU deal. Can anyone else?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:I can't see any news on progress (or otherwise) on the Canada\EU deal. Can anyone else?
On R4 just now they say Canadian minister has gone home & hopes EU can sort it to sign next week (or so\)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:I can't see any news on progress (or otherwise) on the Canada\EU deal. Can anyone else?
James Kanter ‏@jameskanter 8m8 minutes ago Elsene, België
Canada's @cafreeland optimistic about returning Thursday with @JustinTrudeau for #ceta signing. Will @PaulMagnette be in welcome committee?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Piers MorganVerified account
‏@piersmorgan Piers Morgan Retweeted David Davies MP
This really is possibly the most juvenile, pitiful thing I have ever seen from an elected official. How did he ever become an MP???

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Davies is so bad that he forces people to side with Piers Morgan. Is it possible to sink any lower? :D
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Still no sign of cJA, I note. Where are you?
Here, I'm here. Thank you, everyone, your messages I've just read today. I've not been well and I've neglected posting here.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Aww you could almost feel sorry for him.....

George Osborne admits Brexit 'mistakes' and says he is trying to put them right
The ex-Chancellor says he did not 'properly understand' how angry the public were with the establishment

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 74321.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:
Here, I'm here. Thank you, everyone, your messages I've just read today. I've not been well and I've neglected posting here.
So good to read you! Hope you feel better soon :) hugs xx
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... is-to-kent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Yes, the UK will be a fully independent sovereign country, free to make our own decisions on a whole host of issues, such as how we choose to control immigration, but we still want to trade freely in goods and services with Europe,” she said.
I have decided to declare myself a fully independent sovereign nation (and 52% of my microbiome voted in agreement). Me and my biome are now free to make our own decisions on a whole host of issues - because we say so, regardless of what laws are in existence beyond my being. I am now going to develop relationships with each country in the world that I fancy developing a relationships with, that let me do exactly what I want to do where I want to do it.

Because I'm BRITISH. And so I'm special.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Thank you, you're very good to me. I'm going to go lay down some more. I'll return a bit later.

love,
cJA
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

David Carter: The weakest academies will be supported not ‘shamed’

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/david-carter-t ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote: Here, I'm here. Thank you, everyone, your messages I've just read today. I've not been well and I've neglected posting here.
Thank you, you're very good to me. I'm going to go lay down some more. I'll return a bit later.

love,
cJA
Good to hear from you. See you later. Have a good rest.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

As I occasionally observe, I miss many of those that have posted here over the years but have eventually flounced the nest. Meanwhile, on the rare occasions that I read btl somewhere else, I realise why this place matters (at least to me). Is there anything we can do to limit future departures or is it simply the nature of the social media beast? And conversely are we still attracting new arrivals?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:As I occasionally observe, I miss many of those that have posted here over the years but have eventually flounced the nest. Meanwhile, on the rare occasions that I read btl somewhere else, I realise why this place matters (at least to me). Is there anything we can do to limit future departures or is it simply the nature of the social media beast? And conversely are we still attracting new arrivals?
We've got Womble44 who is, I think, a reformed lurker. Whether or not that's because we were considered "attractive" I couldn't say!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 74716.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Asked what he made of British Prime Minister's performance at her first EU summit, Commission President Jean Claude Juncker says 'pfff'
Go Britain!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hello Womble!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I understand people queue for hours to observe PF's flawless punctuation.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:David Carter: The weakest academies will be supported not ‘shamed’

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/david-carter-t ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the article -
Schools Week can reveal that the 100 secondary academies with the lowest Progress 8 scores, which we understand will be known as the “P100”, are to be identified by Sir David Carter (pictured) and eligible for extra support from January. (my emphasis)
I honestly initially misread that as "Poo".
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 75036.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donald Trump peddling 'lies and xenophobia' by linking Syrian refugees and Isis, UN counter-terror expert says
Of course it's not just the Brits that are becoming xenophobics legitimised by public figures - but am not sure if that makes me feel better or worse. Less guilty (by association) but less optimistic I suppose.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

tinyclanger2 wrote:As I occasionally observe, I miss many of those that have posted here over the years but have eventually flounced the nest. Meanwhile, on the rare occasions that I read btl somewhere else, I realise why this place matters (at least to me). Is there anything we can do to limit future departures or is it simply the nature of the social media beast? And conversely are we still attracting new arrivals?
I would suggest that comments like 'flounced the nest' give off an air of smug snideness - entirely unintentional I am sure - that many people have cited as a reason to leave.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hello Tem.
No snideness intended - and indeed apologies to anyone reading this as snide. It's more a parody within a parody within a parody - and indeed a reference to someone else's equally unsnide reference to this the other day (can't recall whose) which was in itself a reference to earlier discussions we'd had about this. The tone is critical and really that's my point.

Take "entirely unintentional I'm sure" I could read that as either genuine or sarcastic, and am assuming it's the former.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@tinyclanger2

You do it just to annoy, don't you?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I'm a magician.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Hello Tem.
No snideness intended - and indeed apologies to anyone reading this as snide. It's more a parody within a parody within a parody - and indeed a reference to someone else's equally unsnide reference to this the other day (can't recall whose) which was in itself a reference to earlier discussions we'd had about this. The tone is critical and really that's my point.

Take "entirely unintentional I'm sure" I could read that as either genuine or sarcastic, and am assuming it's the former.
That would have been me faux flouncing at your attack on my wicked accordion keying skills. I still have not forgiven you. Aa aaa ah.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Haven't got more details yet, it's from Mike Smithson:

''New poll out later finds that 50% of Remain voters on June 23rd would support a Stop Brexit party at an early general election''.
&
''I understand that the poll has Labour in third place behind the notional Stop Brexit party and Conservatives''.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

For the sake of clarification:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=961&start=150#p122814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two of the people whose input I miss - discussing flouncing in the same tone I employed earlier.
:shock:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:

That would have been me faux flouncing at your attack on my wicked accordion keying skills. I still have not forgiven you. Aa aaa ah.
Ah yes. The accordion playing. I was only being encouraging you understand. With that feedback.

All of which brings to mind that 360% appraisal in which I was described as ...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

People are welcome to flounce. But if they do they shouldn't peek at the forum and then post trollish insults and accuse other people, FTNers from the very start, of trolling, as happened earlier in the week.

Or is that flaming not trolling ?

PF, please feel free to tidy that up for grammar :lol:
Last edited by yahyah on Sat 22 Oct, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:Haven't got more details yet, it's from Mike Smithson:

''New poll out later finds that 50% of Remain voters on June 23rd would support a Stop Brexit party at an early general election''.
&
''I understand that the poll has Labour in third place behind the notional Stop Brexit party and Conservatives''.
Pointless poll on several levels.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Jonny - get your accordion ready!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

christ.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:People are welcome to flounce but if they do they shouldn't peek and then troll by dishing insults and accusing someone else of trolling, like happened earlier in the week.

Or is that flaming not trolling ?
flaming, def flaming :) x
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

As such a party doesn't exist, yes it is pointless.
But it does suggest if the Lib Dems could pledge or vow enough [and convince people they meant it] to 'stop Brexit' they might gain a lot of votes if an early election did magically materialise.

Isn't it another problem for Labour or are we to ignore everything that is a bit inconvenient ?
Those people polled obviously feel that the issue is important.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re the above post - what *might* be a runner in the right climate is MPs/candidates of various parties (Labour, LibDem, Green, Nat, even Tory) explicitly standing on a "Stop Brexit" ticket - the only real way to counteract the inevitable "BUT YOU ARE SHOWING CONTEMPT FOR THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE" response.

But even this is all dependent on an early election, which remains highly unlikely (not least because of the Brexit context)
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Sat 22 Oct, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Oh I was being entirely genuine as to how it may be perceived. I have no problems with you or other people here - obviously I have nothing but contempt for SH's political stance but thats a political stance not him as a person - but do understand why some peope have left (As an aside thats not to single SH out there are others who have been cited as a reason)

Personally I think the problems are now irreconcilable for many - much like the labour party - and it is a product of the appalling divisive leadership contest run by Saving Labour - who ironically have probably killed it.

My lack of posting is due to being inredibly busy - Book 2 finished and out next September and a collection of short stories in the summer in the build up, both from same publisher.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Yes. It's a bummer.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

You took the words out of my mouth Anatoly.

It'll be interesting to see the full poll later to see if there's more context.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Temulkar wrote: Personally I think the problems are now irreconcilable for many - much like the labour party - and it is a product of the appalling divisive leadership contest run by Saving Labour - who ironically have probably killed it
They haven't, but it is going to take a while to recover from this.

That several MPs chose, quite deliberately, to put out the impression that Corbyn was personally responsible for Brexit remains an act of - probably unforgivable - treachery.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Temulkar wrote:obviously I have nothing but contempt for SH's political stance but thats a political stance not him as a person
Your ability to make that distinction does you credit, I wish I could do the same.

Hope you have time to call in again soon.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 75021.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit the 'catalyst' universities need to improve, says Russell Group chair
Higher education professions have spoken overwhelmingly against leaving the EU over the previous months, with some 90 per cent of academics voting to remain in the June referendum...
Writing for The Telegraph, he said: “It fills me with slight unease. Why? Because it suggests either the academic world knows something the electorate doesn’t or we’re hopelessly out of touch.
This guy is a disingenuous idiot. Obviously the academic world knows something the electorate doesn't - which is that British science gets much more out of EU funding than it puts in, and research funding is the raison d'etre of the British boffin. But that does not mean to say that on some issues the academic community is not out of touch which of course it is, because it represents less than one percent of the population and, like any other "sector" of society is only familiar with its own "bit".
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sat 22 Oct, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.