Tuesday 25th October 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 25th October 2016

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Sad news for football fans - Carlos Alberto has died.

Captain of one of the most talented football teams in history and scorer of that goal in the 1970 WC final - a tournament I watched all the way through.

[youtube]M5HbmeNKino[/youtube]

:(
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Happened to be abroad so not so easy to follow,but do remember getting WC programme,still about somewhere,filling in team names and watching official film of the event etc.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tizme1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Just saw this, JA and others discussing housing yesterday may be interested.

A new development of affordable housing low energy homes opens in Pembrokeshire next month.
It's the first solar powered 'village' in Wales.

Only six houses at present, and it's a private development but it's taking tenants from the council's housing list. Tenants will have access to an electric car share and the advantage of low energy bills.
80% of the heating comes from solar power. The man who started it seems frustrated that there's been little interest from social housing organisations to build similar projects.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... n-12070684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for posting that yahyah. It was an interesting read. As you may recall, I'm seriously considering relocating to Wales. All these positive vibes make it seem all the more a good move. Only three things holding me back really.

1) Moving so far from my children.
2) Leaving a community I've lived in for 25 years and obviously have many friends here.
3) The rain in Wales.
Thank you, yahyah. I've only read it once but I've saved it. A couple of things I'm turning over in my mind. I love any endeavour seeking to promote safe, affordable and secure housing for people using environmentally sustainable construction and energy usage. I'm less thrilled relying on private sector implementing and funding the project. The project's creator is insecurely positioned. He doesn't have a statutory duty providing people with housing and energy services. Government does. Government should be making these developments happen all over the country in an organised, sustainable, efficient and democratically accountable way. Someone doing government's job of providing affordable, ethical and sustainable services threatens powerful people and industry unconcerned about people or country. Vested interests want cooperative endeavour feasibly working shut down. It threatens revenue streams a few are content with as is though it's unsustainable and unaffordable.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Nobody told me we were on page 3 already . . .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

We are on page 3.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

Random question, does anyone know what the deal with people using ((())) around their username on Twitter is?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

No idea but I'm assuming it's so that they can include their real name, which is otherwise taken by someone else.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Womble44 wrote:Random question, does anyone know what the deal with people using ((())) around their username on Twitter is?
It's this.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -at-a-time
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:No idea but I'm assuming it's so that they can include their real name, which is otherwise taken by someone else.
Maybe, but it seems to be specifically 3 parentheses. Just seemed odd to me. Dan Hodges uses it last I looked
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just received an e-mail informing me that my Labour Party membership is up for renewal.

Edited - tidy up
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 25 Oct, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Womble44 wrote:Random question, does anyone know what the deal with people using ((())) around their username on Twitter is?
It's this.

Ah, I see. Were I on Twitter I would do the same
Last edited by Womble44 on Tue 25 Oct, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

PorFavor wrote:I've just received an e-mail informing me that my Labour Party membership is up for renewa.l
I hope you corrected them
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Radioactive leak reported at Norwegian nuclear reactor - The Independent
https://apple.news/A16476PD3SSyK6MexANRSmw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Iodine leak (potentially Iodine-125, because it's radioactive). Particularly nasty as it accumulates in the thyroid gland and is a strong gamma emitter. Easily treated with iodine flushes *if* you know it's the contaminant you've been exposed to. Aerosols very easily.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
It's this.

Thanking you.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

Just walked past a charity shop selling what I hope were Halloween costumes, which appeared to simply be blood soaked clothes. Am I right to find that worrying?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Earlier, Goldsmith told the House of Commons that Heathrow was “doomed” and would be a “millstone around the neck of the government” after the decision to proceed was hailed as “momentous” by Chris Grayling, the transport secretary. (Guardian)
That made me laugh.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -expansion
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Could be especially keen fans of that very, very loud, yet partially-bracketed, band Sunn O))). Maybe one for PF?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

StephenDolan wrote:Why the Lib Dems winning Richmond Park is bad news for Labour.

Give it time, give it time.
Logged on to thank you specially. Am worried about scaring people away.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Hobiejoe wrote:
Could be especially keen fans of that very, very loud, yet partially-bracketed, band Sunn O))). Maybe one for PF?
I saw them at the Royal Festival hall last year and can confirm their loudness.

An unrelenting wall of noise. Amazing experience - not one that I would have liked to experience in a place with lesser acoustics though.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Anatoly. Thanks.
And.
:shock:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I need the noises of destruction
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tom Newton Dunn Verified account
‏@tnewtondunn

I understand PM will give Zac Goldsmith a free run in Richmond by-election, Tories will not field a candidate. Straight fight with Libs.
Takes out the possibility of a loss to LibDems with a split Tory vote.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

What do we make of this then ?

Tom Newton DunnVerified account
‏@tnewtondunn
I understand PM will give Zac Goldsmith a free run in Richmond by-election, Tories will not field a candidate. Straight fight with Libs.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
‏@tnewtondunn

Snap Oops .... lol
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
‏@tnewtondunn

Also removed the possibility of a humiliating last place finish. Which seems the likelier reason to me.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Hi all. Just wondering if it's certain Zac Goldsmith will stand for re-election. Has he said anything yet that indicates he will?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Michael Gove paves the way for a Cabinet comeback as he heaps praise on Theresa May - The Telegraph
https://apple.news/ALfqrmGFoTlGIRYnxUMXoBQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just in case anyone wanted to feel intensely nauseated.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
‏@tnewtondunn

Also removed the possibility of a humiliating last place finish. Which seems the likelier reason to me.
Yes - I'm with you. After all, Zac Goldsmith will, essentially, be the Conservative candidate and will (if he wins) vote with the Conservatives - except on the Heathrow question (should it ever arise which it may well not). And once Heathrow is settled one way or the other (my money's on the other) he can rejoin the happy throng with the full blessing of his Conservative constituents.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

The entire continent of Australia sways (a little) with the weather - Ars Technica
https://apple.news/AmDhoP7CPRgmSA4KI4arQ5g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite remarkable... to add a political tilt to this, the GRACE satellites involved in determining this are the ones used to estimate the mass of ice at the poles, etc. So you can probably kiss this type of discovery goodbye if Trump and the Republicans prevail, because they sure as hell won't let them be replaced when it's needed.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Willow904 wrote:Hi all. Just wondering if it's certain Zac Goldsmith will stand for re-election. Has he said anything yet that indicates he will?
The Conservatives will not fight the by-election triggered by former Tory MP Zac Goldsmith, who has quit in protest over Heathrow expansion, a party spokesman said.

Mr Goldsmith said the decision to push ahead with a third runway was "catastrophic" and announced he will stand as an independent.

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/mp-zac- ... 4107995709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

But surely Goldsmith has to campaign on the airport issue, otherwise voters will rightly be completely baffled by the whole thing.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Brits who didn't vote in the EU referendum now wish they voted against Brexit

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-eu ... ers-2016-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:But surely Goldsmith has to campaign on the airport issue, otherwise voters will rightly be completely baffled by the whole thing.
Yes he will campaign on the airport issue, that's his whole point.
LibDems will campaign on the airport issue AND remaining in the EU, Richmond vote something like 70% to stay in.....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
‏@tnewtondunn

(my bold)

Political party above all else, Tories.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:But surely Goldsmith has to campaign on the airport issue, otherwise voters will rightly be completely baffled by the whole thing.
As in he could resign and disappear from politics. Fine. But if he's going to stand as an Independent surely he has to almost be a single issue anti-Heathrow candidate. For the time being he's still a Tory I believe?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Takes out the possibility of a loss to LibDems with a split Tory vote.
Yes - I'm with you. After all, Zac Goldsmith will, essentially, be the Conservative candidate and will (if he wins) vote with the Conservatives - except on the Heathrow question (should it ever arise which it may well not). And once Heathrow is settled one way or the other (my money's on the other) he can rejoin the happy throng with the full blessing of his Conservative constituents.
Yes! I hadn't read your post before responding to JonnyT1234's.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I guess the other thing to think is that a massive media storm over Heathrow may do a little damage in London where the Tories are in real trouble anyway and keep the rest of us distracted from Brexit, NHS etc.

I'm not belittling the importance of the Heathrow decision btw, but I can't believe it will have any electoral impact in Colne Valley!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Yes he will campaign on the airport issue, that's his whole point.
LibDems will campaign on the airport issue AND remaining in the EU, Richmond vote something like 70% to stay in.....
He'll take a second electoral drubbing so his biography improves a bit. Environmental crusader yeah, a hero.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Currently giggling after discovering there's a player called Trippier in the Pool - Spurs match. Just a shame that Walkes and Can are both on the benches, "Can. Winks... Walkes to Trippier. Dier..."
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

If the LibDems have a good candidate they might actually win it

Steve Osborne ‏@eduosborne 15m15 minutes ago
@Rosiecat2
Opportunity to send pro-EU message at Richmond by-election (voted 69% remain) Lib Dems won it in 2005 & narrowly lost it in 2010.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Willow904

Bit late in replying, I know - but all reports indicate that Zac Goldsmith intends standing as an Independent. The closest to a definite I've been able to find so far is over at the BBC News website which says "he says he intends to stand as an Independent" but I can find no direct quote from the man himself to that effect.

(Hope all's well with you.)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

JonnyT1234 wrote:The entire continent of Australia sways (a little) with the weather - Ars Technica
https://apple.news/AmDhoP7CPRgmSA4KI4arQ5g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite remarkable... to add a political tilt to this, the GRACE satellites involved in determining this are the ones used to estimate the mass of ice at the poles, etc. So you can probably kiss this type of discovery goodbye if Trump and the Republicans prevail, because they sure as hell won't let them be replaced when it's needed.
Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE)
Mission duration: Five-year primary mission extended

The starship Enterprise was originally just a five-year mission too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Currently giggling after discovering there's a player called Trippier in the Pool - Spurs match. Just a shame that Walkes and Can are both on the benches, "Can. Winks... Walkes to Trippier. Dier..."
I thought "Trippier in the Pool" was his name and that he was playing in the Spurs match (which he is - but I've now worked out the finer points).
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Unfortunately, the Enterprise would be able to correct for orbital decay. A satellite can't. They'll need replacing at some point and the Republicans will undoubtedly nix that if they can. If they can't dispute the science, the next step is to stop the science from happening in the first place (the Aussies are playing at this game with CSIRO).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PorFavor wrote:@Willow904

Bit late in replying, I know - but all reports indicate that Zac Goldsmith intends standing as an Independent. The closest to a definite I've been able to find so far is over at the BBC News website which says "he says he intends to stand as an Independent" but I can find no direct quote from the man himself to that effect.

(Hope all's well with you.)

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-10-25/zac- ... s-tory-mp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PorFavor wrote:
JonnyT1234 wrote:Currently giggling after discovering there's a player called Trippier in the Pool - Spurs match. Just a shame that Walkes and Can are both on the benches, "Can. Winks... Walkes to Trippier. Dier..."
I thought "Trippier in the Pool" was his name and that he was playing in the Spurs match (which he is - but I've now worked out the finer points).
Ha. It would have made some sense if I'd linked to the team sheets, but... lazy.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Thank you.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Who'll win the Richmond Park by-election?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/el ... k-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sarah Olney - A fresh new voice for Richmond Park & North Kingston

http://www.rplibdems.org.uk/sarah_olney" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As our PPC Sarah will take the fight to the Tories in Richmond Park & North Kingston and be a powerful counterpoint to Zac Goldsmith’s negative, divisive campaigning and pro-Leave stance.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Excellent
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 23.15.34.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 23.15.34.png (486.58 KiB) Viewed 8108 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »