Friday 28th October 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 28th October 2016

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Re: Friday 28th October 2016

Post by Lonewolfie »

Morfternoon....you have got to be fracking kidding me....has the Idiot Dipped in Sh1t found a tiny shred of humanity? (Rhetorical, natch - there is no redemption for that particular excuse for a human - not even his much vaunted stupidity) Flabber...meet completely and totally ghasted...

Mr Duncan Smith, who quit days after the 2015 Budget, is urging the PM to postpone a plan to raise the income tax threshold to pay for reversing cuts.
In 2015 funding cuts to the Universal Credit "work allowance" were announced - reducing the amount people could earn before benefit payments were withdrawn.
He argues they cost people up to £1,000 as they moved off benefits into work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37790854

Shakes head and wanders of into the distance mumbling incoherently emoticon
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

....on the seat vacated by Trustafarian Zac....the (possible) Lib-Dem candidate seems quite taken by The Mayhem...

The probable Liberal Democrat candidate in the Richmond Park by-election has said she greeted the appointment of the new Conservative leader by saying: “Thank goodness Theresa May is going to be prime minister!”
Sarah Olney wrote in June that she was delighted to see another woman succeeding in public life and recognised May’s “reputation for coolness, steeliness, common sense, hard work, [and] competence”, although she insisted her support for the new Conservative prime minister was “equivocal”.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/ri ... .qbgbeNlj9

Competence...really? Where?...otherwise known as clusterfracking omnishambolic submarine imitating?...but Uncle Rupert likes her, so she's a 'serious' politician...if it wasn't so sad it would be hilarious (IMVHO).

OK - I didn't wander very far, but I'm still mumbling incoherently...
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Apologies in advance if this upsets anyone in here (and if it's been mentioned before) - I'm also aware that the Canary isn't particularly popular with some here - also apologies for mentioning the unmentionable terrible awful non-leading leader so early...but...over 100 Labour MPs effectively voted FOR continued arms sales to Saudi Arabia...that's voting WITH the Government to continue supplying arms that are killing children...

Over 100 Labour MPs just scuppered a crucial Corbyn-led vote in parliament

Since Saudi Arabia launched its air offensive, accusations have arisen of numerous war crimes. For example, it has bombed hospitals. And as a result, 10,000 children under five have died due to a lack of access to healthcare.
It has also targeted schools. And it has attacked factories, refugee camps and even funerals. Unicef asserts that, since the Saudi-led coalition’s intervention, “on average at least six children have been killed or maimed every day”.

A UK-manufactured cluster bomb was discovered in Yemen by Amnesty International. And the UK government did not deny selling such weapons to Saudi Arabia; even though cluster bombs are illegal under international law.

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/10/27/100- ... nt-tweets/

Let me boil this down to one example. On 11 September, in the rebel-held Sa’ada province, coalition air forces attacked and destroyed a drilling rig building a major new clean water well. When local civilians and healthcare workers rushed to the scene to aid the workers who had been injured, the coalition air forces returned and struck the scene again. In total, 30 civilians were killed and 17 were wounded. That is why the motion makes a simple case, which we hope will command the support of the whole House. Let the UN investigate this and all the thousands of other incidents. Let the UN determine whether there have been violations of international law. In the interim, let the Government suspend their support for the coalition forces; and let the message go out from this House that we care about the children in Yemen who are at risk.

Kate Osamor, from the debate
https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2 ... ision-5632

...and the response from the important Officer of State, the Foreign Secretary?

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson claimed other countries would “happily supply arms” to the country if we were to duck out.

I'm very much aware that the motion would be unlikely to pass (although pretty much all of the parliamentary non-Tories supported it so who knows - 193 Ayes v 283 Noes) but, crucially, it would have raised the issue and made a significant point...

A Yemeni is not my enemy.

(Um...have I broken the thread?) ttfn
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Keir Starmer was a bit disappointing last night. An ambitious man methinks. Ken Loach was quite excellent though - better speaker than I thought he'd be.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

frightful_oik wrote:Keir Starmer was a bit disappointing last night. An ambitious man methinks. Ken Loach was quite excellent though - better speaker than I thought he'd be.
Agree, and I can't stand Loach.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Did anyone hear Blair ?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

yahyah wrote:Morning.

Did anyone hear Blair ?
Yes. Probably said what JC is thinking but can't say.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

frightful_oik wrote:

Did anyone hear Blair ?

You think JC favours a second referendum!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If anyone's feel down check out the dog and water shute vine on Peter Juke's twitter account and it'll make you smile.

https://twitter.com/peterjukes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

deleted because it was an old news report that had been recycled.
Last edited by yahyah on Fri 28 Oct, 2016 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

SpinningHugo wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:

Did anyone hear Blair ?

I think he wants to tease out the Tories' plans and give it some thought then. In the meantime he can make the Tories more unpopular.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

If we want to stay in the single market, the case has to be made for it and a consensus for it established. I don't see that happening in any meaningful way at the moment. Tory hard Brexit is making all the running at the moment, they're controlling the narrative as always. I'm extremely pessimistic about the future tight now. My first reaction to the referendum result was that staying in the single market was our best option and I'm still of that opinion. What's taken me by surprise is how quickly those in government have moved to shut that option down, taking the possibility of a Norway type arrangement off the table and how apathetic the opposition has been in opposing government's moves to take us out of the single market against the wishes of a majority of people, if the polls are anything to go by.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The business secretary [Greg Clark] has insisted there was “no cheque book” involved in the assurance given to Nissan before the carmaker agreed to keep investing in Britain.

Speaking on BBC1’s Question Time on Thursday night, Clark indicated there had been no offer of financial compensation or state aid. “There’s no cheque book. I don’t have a cheque book,” he said.

“The important thing is that they know this is a country in which they can have confidence they can invest. That was the assurance and the understanding they had and they have invested their money.”
I don't believe that. (Well, I believe that he doesn't have a physical cheque book but that's as far as it
goes.)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -eu-access

Edited - link, missing words. All sorts.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

Lonewolfie wrote:Apologies in advance if this upsets anyone in here (and if it's been mentioned before) - I'm also aware that the Canary isn't particularly popular with some here - also apologies for mentioning the unmentionable terrible awful non-leading leader so early...but...over 100 Labour MPs effectively voted FOR continued arms sales to Saudi Arabia...that's voting WITH the Government to continue supplying arms that are killing children...

Since Saudi Arabia launched its air offensive, accusations have arisen of numerous war crimes. For example, it has bombed hospitals. And as a result, 10,000 children under five have died due to a lack of access to healthcare.
It has also targeted schools. And it has attacked factories, refugee camps and even funerals. Unicef asserts that, since the Saudi-led coalition’s intervention, “on average at least six children have been killed or maimed every day”.

A UK-manufactured cluster bomb was discovered in Yemen by Amnesty International. And the UK government did not deny selling such weapons to Saudi Arabia; even though cluster bombs are illegal under international law.

Let me boil this down to one example. On 11 September, in the rebel-held Sa’ada province, coalition air forces attacked and destroyed a drilling rig building a major new clean water well. When local civilians and healthcare workers rushed to the scene to aid the workers who had been injured, the coalition air forces returned and struck the scene again. In total, 30 civilians were killed and 17 were wounded. That is why the motion makes a simple case, which we hope will command the support of the whole House. Let the UN investigate this and all the thousands of other incidents. Let the UN determine whether there have been violations of international law. In the interim, let the Government suspend their support for the coalition forces; and let the message go out from this House that we care about the children in Yemen who are at risk.

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson claimed other countries would “happily supply arms” to the country if we were to duck out.

I'm very much aware that the motion would be unlikely to pass (although pretty much all of the parliamentary non-Tories supported it so who knows - 193 Ayes v 283 Noes) but, crucially, it would have raised the issue and made a significant point...

I was aware of it, although hadn't seen the cluster bomb aspect of it before. Be interesting to know why so many Labour MPs voted (or not) as they did. Personally, the exporting of violence to other parts of the world is a bit of a red line for me, and if Labour MPs won't even try to prevent it, then I can't vote for them in good conscience.

Although, the motion was symbolic and couldn't actually force the government to do anything (at least that's my understanding).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

To be strictly accurate, about 100 Labour MPs didn't vote. None actually voted *with* the government.

And some will have been "paired" and their absence previously agreed.

That still leaves a large number who deliberately abstained, though. Not good.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/crisis-at-c ... -me-deeply" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

‘My first New Year’s Eve as a homeless man wounded me deeply’
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... nrealistic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It takes a special arrogance to say the poverty in I, Daniel Blake is unrealistic
Dawn Foster
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://linkis.com/samedifference1.com/1N6Td" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some Information From A Former PIP Assessor
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:To be strictly accurate, about 100 Labour MPs didn't vote. None actually voted *with* the government.

Other than a few surprises, it appears to be the names I'd expect if it was an attempt to undermine Corbin, which is a shame. I realise I phrased it a bit poorly with regards to voting.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

frightful_oik wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
frightful_oik wrote: Yes. Probably said what JC is thinking but can't say.

I think he wants to tease out the Tories' plans and give it some thought then. In the meantime he can make the Tories more unpopular.

I don't. I believe him when he says he wants a "people's Brexit" and "access" to the single market.

One thing he isn't is a liar.

I also think that every other time he voted against the EU was what he thought. And his statement that art 50 should be invoked immediately was not a lie either.

Why do you think be is lying?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/gr ... rag-death/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

‘Grave concern’ over coroner’s refusal to hold inquest into Maximus WRAG death
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:To be strictly accurate, about 100 Labour MPs didn't vote. None actually voted *with* the government.

Unions opposed because of defence jobs. Surprised more didn't find they were otherwise busy.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Womble44 wrote:

Other than a few surprises, it appears to be the names I'd expect if it was an attempt to undermine Corbin, which is a shame. I realise I phrased it a bit poorly with regards to voting.

Not on this occasion. The unions opposed. It is about jobs.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

SpinningHugo wrote:

Unions opposed because of defence jobs. Surprised more didn't find they were otherwise busy.
Fair enough, but then I can't support them as a party.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... nce-16-17/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PAC submits evidence to Mayor's Review of Garden Bridge Project
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Homelessness Reduction Bill in Commons,for those interested

http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/b5 ... 6eda459b9c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Womble44 wrote:

Strange that the unions have so much more influence over the right of the party (of which I would consider myself economically).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.24housing.co.uk/opinion/shou ... tion-bill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should someone ‘talk out’ the Homelessness Reduction Bill?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Brexit challenge: High Court in Belfast rejects legal case (BBC News website)

A judge at the High Court in Belfast has rejected two legal challenges to Brexit in Northern Ireland.

He ruled there was nothing in the 1998 Good Friday Agreement which meant the government could not trigger Article 50.
It will now go to the Supreme Court.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37796836
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

You are partly correct about certain unions influencing some Labour MPs here SH, but there are also a depressingly large number of parliamentarians (to be found in all parties to a greater or lesser degree) who are quite pally with the appalling Saudi regime and don't see why that should change.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Womble44 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Womble44 wrote: Other than a few surprises, it appears to be the names I'd expect if it was an attempt to undermine Corbin, which is a shame. I realise I phrased it a bit poorly with regards to voting.

Strange that the unions have so much more influence over the right of the party (of which I would consider myself economically).
Well, it used to be the case that the unions were the right of the party, providing a steadying influence to the activists.

The death of 'rightwing' unionism, combined with the declining influence of the unions within the party itself, is one of the things that enabled Corbynism, and is why even when Corbyn goes it will be someone from his faction, and not a member of the 'soft' left who wins the leadership. The MPs are part of a bygone age (the 90s 00s), before the rise of Corbyn.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:You are partly correct about certain unions influencing some Labour MPs here SH, but there are also a depressingly large number of parliamentarians (to be found in all parties to a greater or lesser degree) who are quite pally with the appalling Saudi regime and don't see why that should change.
A few. Very few indeed in Labour, unless you're going to provide me with a list (which I doubt)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

They certainly exist, though - some spoke in the debate (and revealed an almost impressive combination of arrogance and ignorance)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:If anyone's feel down check out the dog and water shute vine on Peter Juke's twitter account and it'll make you smile.

I'll see you & I'll raise you. The biggest smile has got to come after watching ex-Man Utd defender, Patrice Evra

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Lonewolfie wrote:Apologies in advance if this upsets anyone in here (and if it's been mentioned before) - I'm also aware that the Canary isn't particularly popular with some here - also apologies for mentioning the unmentionable terrible awful non-leading leader so early...but...over 100 Labour MPs effectively voted FOR continued arms sales to Saudi Arabia...that's voting WITH the Government to continue supplying arms that are killing children...

Yes but the 65 Labour abstainers will be Saving Labour with every Yemni innocent child murdered by British bombs.

If this doesnt bring into sharp focus why the leadership election became not about politics but about right and wrong, good and evil, and basic fucking humanity then those still complaining about Corbyn over these snivelling low lifes have completely lost their moral compass.

Not even the most sanctimonious 'Saving Labour' hypocrite can can justify this.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/issue-1430/hp-sauce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Till the PIPs squeak?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/debbie- ... mg00000004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Working Towards An Inclusive Labour Market
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/re ... -128790447" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oborne's take on the Saudi vote
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/lo ... e-scandal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LONGCARE SURVIVORS: THE BIOGRAPHY OF A CARE SCANDAL
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

pk1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:If anyone's feel down check out the dog and water shute vine on Peter Juke's twitter account and it'll make you smile.

I'll see you & I'll raise you. The biggest smile has got to come after watching ex-Man Utd defender, Patrice Evra

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
I still miss him.

Remember when everbody laughed at him and Vidic after their twin debuts against city?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://nationalforums.co.uk/shared/shar ... re-funding" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Important News about the future of the National Forum of People with Learning Disabilities and the National Valuing Families Forum

The Department of Health this week has told the National Forum of People with Learning Disabilities and the National Valuing Families Forum that it is very unlikely that they will be given any more money after their current contract ends in March 2017.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Homelessness Reduction Bill passes second reading.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tribunal ruling says that "Uber" workers are entitled to minimum wage, holiday pay and rest breaks.

"Uber" are expected to appeal the decision. (BBC)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lack of funding could scupper homelessness reforms, say MPs
Bill will end decades of discrimination but failure to fund councils could limit its effectiveness, ex-housing ministers warn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Homelessness can only really be tackled if people have somewhere to go
Poppy Noor
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PorFavor wrote:Tribunal ruling says that "Uber" workers are entitled to minimum wage, holiday pay and rest breaks.

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/judgments/ ... rs-v-uber/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Morrisons puts Marmite price up 12.5%

Supermarket charges £2.64, up from £2.35, for 250g pot as supplier Unilever blames fall in pound for rising prices (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... und-brexit
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:Tribunal ruling says that "Uber" workers are entitled to minimum wage, holiday pay and rest breaks.

I believe the basic test of whether someone is being employed to fulfill a job contract on a self-employed basis is whether that person can supply someone else to actually do the work necessary to fulfill the contract in their place. If this is not allowed by the job contract, they are an employee. At least that is my understanding. Uber's an interesting test case. I hope we get more detail about the ruling as it could set an important precedent.
Last edited by Willow904 on Fri 28 Oct, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb