Sat 5 and Sun 6 November 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Sat 5 and Sun 6 November 2016

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:shock:
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Sat 5 and Sun 6 November 2016

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 99086.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
‘Unforgivable’ David Cameron put Tory interests first with referendum, says Jeremy Paxman
Prime Minister ‘put the country's identity up for grabs, and made no case for staying in Europe’, says former Newsnight presenter
hell. handbasket.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.indy100.com/article/brexit- ... paign=i100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You could argue the chart shows MPs are out of touch (which in respect to our daily lives I think they are). But in respect to how leaving the EU could have devastating consequences for the country (and already has) one could argue that this simply shows the disconnect between people with knowledge (=power) and those who are denied knowledge through unequal education and a toxic press (as well as will).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Stephen Phillips MP: 'I can no longer live with being labelled a Tory'

In a letter to George Clark, chairman of the Sleaford and North Hykeham Conservative Association, Phillips said: “Some will label me a quitter or, no doubt, worse. Those are labels with which I can live. The label Conservative no longer is.” (Guardian)
I genuinely feel rather sorry for the man.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... it-process
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Telegraph claim the Cabinet has discussed 'preparing for a snap election'.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index. ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any good news ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:The Telegraph claim the Cabinet has discussed 'preparing for a snap election'.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index. ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any good news ?
Not so's you'd notice (apart from the news on the ohsocynical front).
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Why are the Cabinet bothering to discuss it ? Don't they know it's just a tiresome canard ?

Seriously though, the Telegraph doesn't even mention the fixed term Parliament act.
75% of their website poll respondents want a snap election, so presumably the Telegraph is trying to drum up public support for one.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Its quite possible that "discuss" in this context actually means "it was mentioned in passing and the swift conclusion was it wasn't a viable proposition".

IMO it might only become a real possibility if the Commons voted down A50. But that isn't (for better or worse) at all likely.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

In a letter to George Clark, chairman of the Sleaford and North Hykeham Conservative Association, Phillips said: “Some will label me a quitter or, no doubt, worse. Those are labels with which I can live. The label Conservative no longer is.” (Guardian)

I don't. They've run rough-shod over parliamentary procedure for the last 6 years and not a peep from him.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Apologies for being off-topic, but this one is just so weird:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/37875609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Canadian military has investigated a mysterious pinging sound coming from the sea floor in a remote region of the Arctic, officials have told the BBC.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

#wheresLizTruss is trending on Twitter :lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I seriously never thought I would be pleased to hear Anna Soubry say anything. Shows how bad things are getting....
“I think we have to call this out and say ‘not in my name’.” [some of the media is] “inciting hatred … It needs somebody like Boris Johnson to step up and speak out. He’s our foreign secretary and he knows what the reaction of the rest of the world is as they look at our great country and are horrified. What message are we sending out to the rest of the world? Probably that this nation is in grave danger of losing the plot – and I think we might have done.”
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

I don't. They've run rough-shod over parliamentary procedure for the last 6 years and not a peep from him.
Fair comment, but its maybe understandable that he feels particularly betrayed by what has just happened.

Perhaps he held out the hope it would be better post-Cameron (rather than, if anything, worse)?

Everybody has their own "tipping point".
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Government has gone into exactly the same kind of paralysis that happened after the referendum result.

It's "Wow, we didn't expect that! Now what do we do...er...um...crikey!"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Scots broadcaster shuts down Tory minister's aide after awkward interview - Daily Record
https://apple.news/Au5msk-tvQwi8lmaaAtbILQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Do you want to do the interview instead?' Veteran STV broadcaster Bernard Ponsonby slaps down press officer
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Plaid won a Labour seat in Cardiff on Thursday. Labour took it in 2012 when the Lib Dems were on their way down.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... l-12125231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

I should have forewarned people about that last link. The politician being interviewed is the odious turd Fallon, not giving a 'straightforward answer' to a very straightforward couple of questions.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Before anyone manufactures a motive for my posting that, I did it because I've just seen in on the Western Mail website when checking Welsh news and that's the headline reporting of it. Labour also held a seat in Wales this week.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JonnyT1234 wrote:I should have forewarned people about that last link. The politician being interviewed is the odious turd Fallon, not giving a 'straightforward answer' to a very straightforward couple of questions.
Too late!
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Jeremy Corbyn Wants To Hear Theresa May's Brexit Plans 'Without Delay' - The Huffington Post - UK
https://apple.news/AJnnKEXG9SWCm-Tto71m7zg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Front foot. Attack, attack, attack.
And he insisted that all UK businesses should be given “assurances” over the impact of Brexit to match those made by the Government to Japanese car-maker Nissan before its announcement of new investment in Sunderland.
“We can’t have secret deals on Brexit, company by company,” Corbyn said.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

JonnyT1234 wrote:Jeremy Corbyn Wants To Hear Theresa May's Brexit Plans 'Without Delay' - The Huffington Post - UK
https://apple.news/AJnnKEXG9SWCm-Tto71m7zg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Front foot. Attack, attack, attack.
And he insisted that all UK businesses should be given “assurances” over the impact of Brexit to match those made by the Government to Japanese car-maker Nissan before its announcement of new investment in Sunderland.
“We can’t have secret deals on Brexit, company by company,” Corbyn said.
It's good stuff.
“I suspect the Government opposes democratic scrutiny of its plans because - frankly - there aren’t any plans, beyond the hollow rhetoric of ‘Brexit means Brexit’.”
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

yahyah wrote:Before anyone manufactures a motive for my posting that, I did it because I've just seen in on the Western Mail website when checking Welsh news and that's the headline reporting of it. Labour also held a seat in Wales this week.
And I thought you were having a dig at Anatoly for not doing his round up ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Labour has urged the government to come out and defend the three judges behind the controversial High Court ruling on the process of leaving the EU.
"The first duty of the Lord Chancellor, Liz Truss, is to protect the independence of the judiciary, and to be frank her silence on this is embarrassing, and she's letting down the British judiciary and the British legal system. Giving judges a roasting isn't part and parcel of any healthy democracy."
Ms Truss has made no comment yet.
From the BBC
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Labour has urged the government to come out and defend the three judges behind the controversial High Court ruling on the process of leaving the EU.
"The first duty of the Lord Chancellor, Liz Truss, is to protect the independence of the judiciary, and to be frank her silence on this is embarrassing, and she's letting down the British judiciary and the British legal system. Giving judges a roasting isn't part and parcel of any healthy democracy."
From the BBC
Also on the BBC was an interview with Dominic Grieve. He's not happy,
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
From the BBC
Also on the BBC was an interview with Dominic Grieve. He's not happy,
Indeed.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Idle thought: could Grieve be the next Tory to go? His views seems to be completely unrepresented by the Tory hierarchy these days. Even more so under May than Cameron.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/yvette- ... 1478335287&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yvette Cooper
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
From the BBC
And yet people still keep insisting there is no opposition right now.

Lead story right now on the BBC is the one you've just posted from.

What more do people want?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Tony Blair.

Joke.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After ordering a beer, the barmaid told her off for failing to acknowledge traditional English pleasantries. She was bluntly told: “We say please and thank you here in Great Britain.” For Janz it was indicative of a changed atmosphere after the referendum. “Maybe I didn’t order in the most friendly way, but things like this never ever happened to me before,” she recalls. “I am more often reminded of the fact that I am a foreigner.”
Saying “We say please and thank you here in Great Britain.” in some snotty fashion is so polite and pleasant and friendly isn't it.

Proud to be British? My. Arse.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Farage: 'I'll be back in 2019 — and probably with a pitchfork' - The Local - Sweden
https://apple.news/ATh5dT5V6Mt-O01LHIpxMCg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At an awards ceremony for racists.

Presumably after his TrumpTV contract gets cancelled.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
From the BBC

Indeed. The opposition is being effective at the moment. And reasonably united. Here's Cooper:
[May] should avoid demonising Parliament or judges or whichever half of the population she disagrees with.
Yes. Exactly.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

So what has JC been up to during this week of high drama?

Anyone know?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 99356.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bar Council calls on Liz Truss to condemn 'serious and unjustified attacks on the judiciary' after Brexit ruling
'A strong independent judiciary is essential to a functioning democracy and to upholding the rule of law'
Yes but they're unelected. Like policemen and doctors and teachers and spouses and children and parents and jugglers and TV presenters and fishermen and life boat volunteers and charity workers and care workers and .....

We don't want any of these unelected people in Britain. Or foreigners. Or experts. Or humanitarians.

We're ####s and we're BRITISH ####s!!!!!. AND WE'RE PROUD OF IT.

Now. Where's me flag ...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

SpinningHugo wrote:So what has JC been up to during this week of high drama?

Anyone know?
Mr Christ (Jesus to his friends) passed away some time ago I'm afraid.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: From the BBC

Indeed. The opposition is being effective at the moment. And reasonably united. Here's Cooper:
[May] should avoid demonising Parliament or judges or whichever half of the population she disagrees with.
Yes. Exactly.

Cleverly pointing out that it is half (or very nearly) of the population.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Anyone know?
He was giving a speech (rousing some say) at the CLASS think tank this morning.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Anyone know?
According to Sky
In a speech to the Class think-tank, he called for the Government's negotiating terms be transparent and accountable to Parliament.

Mr Corbyn also insisted all UK businesses should be given "assurances" over the impact of Brexit to match those apparently made by the Government to Japanese car-maker Nissan.

He said: "We accept and respect the decision of the British people to leave the European Union. But there must be transparency and accountability to Parliament about the Government's plans."
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: And yet people still keep insisting there is no opposition right now.

Yes. Exactly.

Or, more accurately 51.9% of 72.2 % being 37.5%. What I would call "less than 40%". But I'm no expert ...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Or, more accurately 51.9% of 72.2 % being 37.5%. What I would call "less than 40%". But I'm no expert ...[/quote]

It's good not to be an expert. Apparently.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bumboils. You get the drift.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apart from the experts the TPA,Casey,Policy Exhange,Centre For Social Justice,Immigration Watch,barmaids trained in British pleasantries.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:Before anyone manufactures a motive for my posting that, I did it because I've just seen in on the Western Mail website when checking Welsh news and that's the headline reporting of it. Labour also held a seat in Wales this week.
And in actual fact, Labour's vote share held up pretty well in the seat they lost - and dropped quite a bit more in the one they held :)

(though the latter may be partly explainable by the circumstances of the byelection - noncing issues)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not forgetting the doyen,Toby Young.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

JonnyT -your links keep proclaiming apple news,yet no information about apples.Am I missing something?Rhetorical question.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Wail continuing another British pleasanty of having knives out for well known communist agitator Gary Lineker.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

mobile.twitter.com/itvnews/status/794876532799848448

Here he is.

What a pro.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After ordering a beer, the barmaid told her off for failing to acknowledge traditional English pleasantries. She was bluntly told: “We say please and thank you here in Great Britain.” For Janz it was indicative of a changed atmosphere after the referendum. “Maybe I didn’t order in the most friendly way, but things like this never ever happened to me before,” she recalls. “I am more often reminded of the fact that I am a foreigner.”
Saying “We say please and thank you here in Great Britain.” in some snotty fashion is so polite and pleasant and friendly isn't it.

Proud to be British? My. Arse.
Yeah, pretty pathetic isn't it?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:sleep:
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:mobile.twitter.com/itvnews/status/794876532799848448

Here he is.

What a pro.
He voted against this. What did Saving Labour do?