Wednesday 16th November 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Wednesday 16th November 2016

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning All!

Is there any news item that doesn't now get interpreted through Brexit? Thereby allowing the writer to put their own slant on everything.

Following Brexit, newsagent across the road closes down.

Despite Brexit, newsagent across the road closes down.

Ho hum. Our newsagent hasn't closed yet btw ;-)

[Edited to remove spaces in news agent. It was early. Hence also not the best example ;-) ]
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Wednesday 16th November 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning All!

Is there any news item that doesn't now get interpreted through Brexit? Thereby allowing the writer to put their own slant on everything.

Following Brexit, news agent across the road closes down.

Despite Brexit, news agent across the road closes down.

Ho hum. Our news agent hasn't closed yet btw ;-)
Morning all.

I'm waiting for the economic figures based headline that doesn't include the words shock or surprise.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Waitingfortax is judicially expressed this morning

https://waitingfortax.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He could have been rather more 'robust' about this if he wanted to be.

Labour not the party of the 52%, nor the party of 48%%.

The party of the 0%.

Labour is very lucky there is no viable SNP style alternative in England.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Good morning.

This is for those convincing themselves that a bunch of moral cowards out of power for eight years are going to act as a "moderating influence".

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... dApp_Tweet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Morning,
Does anyone know what John McDonnell means by "moral pressure"?
Having discounted it being Rhyming Slang,
I thought it might be from political/social theory,
have got as far as:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... of-options which sounded possible, but scary.

Edited:- Sorry, following drinking of coffee, have removed two links which don't seem relevant.
But still intrigued what McDonnell meant, it just seems too silly to be taken at face value, unless he has reason to believe that there will be massive popular support for his stance, which again seems unlikely.
Last edited by tinybgoat on Wed 16 Nov, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-37979111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two troubled academy schools in South Gloucestershire are set to be taken over, after the trust which runs them racked up debts of more than £1m.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-37979111
Two troubled academy schools in South Gloucestershire are set to be taken over, after the trust which runs them racked up debts of more than £1m.
They took over both of them back in September 2009 and they have no other schools. Could be a sign of smaller MATs feeling the squeeze...this will happen a lot over the next few years IMO. All of those converter acads will have to bite the bullet and combine. What an utter waste of money.

Legal firms must be loving this though...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

Hi all, this going to be my last post here. I'm afraid I don't find it pleasant to have discussions in a board where a handful of individuals are allowed to troll the board with snide and sarcastic comments aimed at views they know others here hold.

The only reason for making comments in that way is to annoy others, and I'm aware during the time I was lurking that others have left for the same reason. I'd rather spend my time talking to people that at least respect views, even if they disagree with them.

Just to be clear, even though we disagreed constantly, Willow904 that is not directed at you.

Best wishes to you all.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

This is quite interesting, particularly in one very depressing way...

Bursting the Facebook bubble: we asked voters on the left and right to swap feeds
To test the effects of political polarization on Facebook we asked ten US voters – five conservative and five liberal – to agree to take a scroll on the other side during the final month of the campaign.
And the problem...
“I’m seeing a lot more hate from the liberal side,” said Constantin. “It’s all about how much of a horrible, fascist, racist, misogynist Trump is. ... “Honestly, I hated it,” said Janalee Tobias, a longtime conservative activist and member of Mormons for Trump from South Jordan, Utah. “I’m seeing a psychiatrist trying to get over the shock and the hate from the left,” she joked. “I thought this would be easier for me to handle, because I’m considered pretty open minded.”
It's hate speech to point out that racist, misogynist Trump is racist and misogynist? Different countries, different worlds...
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

adam wrote:This is quite interesting, particularly in one very depressing way...

Bursting the Facebook bubble: we asked voters on the left and right to swap feeds
To test the effects of political polarization on Facebook we asked ten US voters – five conservative and five liberal – to agree to take a scroll on the other side during the final month of the campaign.
And the problem...
“I’m seeing a lot more hate from the liberal side,” said Constantin. “It’s all about how much of a horrible, fascist, racist, misogynist Trump is. ... “Honestly, I hated it,” said Janalee Tobias, a longtime conservative activist and member of Mormons for Trump from South Jordan, Utah. “I’m seeing a psychiatrist trying to get over the shock and the hate from the left,” she joked. “I thought this would be easier for me to handle, because I’m considered pretty open minded.”
It's hate speech to point out that racist, misogynist Trump is racist and misogynist? Different countries, different worlds...
:roll:

And it's the young lefties that are part of Generation Snowflake?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Sir Greg isn't going quietly...

Video clips by Sir Greg Martin explaining the EFA unjustified attacks on the school

http://durandacademy.com/news/video-cli ... ks-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there's a petition...
Justine Greening MP: We urge you to stop the EFA from attacking Durand Academy

We call upon the Secretary of State for Education to stop Peter Lauener of the Education Funding Agency (EFA) and Lord Nash from attacking Durand Academy. We believe their actions are damaging the education of the children of Durand.
Oh dear...
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

adam wrote:This is quite interesting, particularly in one very depressing way...

And the problem...
It is *really* important to seek out other views. I follow Brexiters and Corbynites on twitter to try and do so (though even then I end up unfollowing the more extreme. I am not going to have racism or anti-semitism to read).

The Guardian used to be bad: it pushed one viewpoint with occasional dissents (from hopeless people like Simon Jenkins). But social media and messageboards have made the problem ten times worse, and it is accelerating as people stop using old MSM outlets for news. People look only at their facebook or applenews feeds because they just tell them what they feel comfortable reading.

Put another way, I know it is nonsense to say that left and right are just the same, but those reading the Canary and Brietbart and thinking they reflect reality back at them are the problem.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Wed 16 Nov, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

And the problem...
It's not so different though, I remember the Leavers being shocked and 'upset' at the horrible things the Remainers were saying about them on Facebook the day after the EUref.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliament.uk/business/news/ ... cial-care/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MPs debate universal credit and ESA, and social care

Green and DWP bods have been extolling the virtues of sanctioning the sick/disabled at a Reform conference determined to "consolidating on successful reforms,this morning.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

SpinningHugo wrote: It is *really* important to seek out other views.

I follow Brexiters and Corbynites on twitter to try and do so (though even then I end up unfollowing the more extreme. I am not going to have racism or anti-semitism to read).
Yes, absolutely. I read the Telegraph regularly to see what they are saying - often just to see what stories they are highlighting and how they are headlining them is instructive enough.
SpinningHugo wrote: /...

Put another way, I know it is nonsense to say that left and right are just the same, but those reading the Canary and Brietbart and thinking they reflect reality back at them are the problem.
My point is that there is a qualitative difference between, on the one hand, people being offended by Trump's misogyny and, on the other hand, people being offended at the offence people take at Trump's misogyny. The point comes where there is no worthwhile communication possible between different viewpoints. But I'm not being some kind of moral relativist here - they are not all just opinions, there are core values, and the core values of the extremism that Trump clearly embodies are about spite and hate. You might angrily react to that spite and hate but your anger is not the same.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

SpinningHugo wrote:

And the problem...
It is *really* important to seek out other views. I follow Brexiters and Corbynites on twitter to try and do so (though even then I end up unfollowing the more extreme. I am not going to have racism of anti-semitism to read).

The Guardian used to be bad: it pushed one viewpoint with occasional dissents (from hopeless people like Simon Jenkins). But social media and messageboards have made the problem ten times worse, and it is accelerating as people stop using old MSM outlets for news. people look only at their facebook or applenews feeds because they just tell them what they feel comfortable reading..
Conservative home is one of my regular reads. RL is the only way I find to have detailed sensible discussions about contrasting political opinions.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

At the risk of boring one of our onlookers...and quite why she even bothers to read this place if she's bored is quite beyond my comprehension but there you go - no accounting for the oddballs.

Grammars will make social mobility problem 'worse', report says

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... eport-says
Ministers’ plans to expand the number of grammar schools could make the country’s deep social mobility problem “worse, not better”, the man charged with tackling the issue has warned.

Labour MP Alan Milburn, who is chair of the government's Social Mobility Commission has called for ministers to “rethink” its proposals for more selective schools and academies, if it is to tackle the issue.

In its annual 'state of the nation' report today, the commission states: “There is no evidence that reforming school structures, either by continuing the roll out of the academies programme or by introducing new grammar schools, by itself will provide an answer to England’s entrenched social mobility problem.

"Worse still, more selection in state schools could make the situation worse, not better.”

The findings are likely to go down badly with prime minister Theresa May who made the expansion of grammar schools her first major policy announcement after entering Downing Street.
That's him off the Christmas card list then...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinybgoat wrote:Morning,
have got as far as:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... of-options which sounded possible, but scary.

Edited:- Sorry, following drinking of coffee, have removed two links which don't seem relevant.
But still intrigued what McDonnell meant, it just seems too silly to be taken at face value, unless he has reason to believe that there will be massive popular support for his stance, which again seems unlikely.
McDonnell's position is also somewhat at odds with the rest of Labour's most recent statements regarding government's Article 50
and Brexit. Corbyn said Tory government will have to meet Labour's demands prior receiving yes vote on Article 50, for example.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Willow904 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-37979111
They took over both of them back in September 2009 and they have no other schools. Could be a sign of smaller MATs feeling the squeeze...this will happen a lot over the next few years IMO. All of those converter acads will have to bite the bullet and combine. What an utter waste of money.

Legal firms must be loving this though...
I think there was something in the article about surplus places in the area, so it could be a natural consequence of an unfit system, although my husband wondered if the Claire Emery who is a trustee of The Ridings Federation is the same Claire Emery of 'Emery Support Services' that is quoted as advising another local failing school, St Crispins in Street in this testimonial he found:

http://www.emerysupportservices.co.uk/testimonials/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also interesting that the 'Who's who' link on the Academy website leads to an error code. The trustees have gone into hiding.

http://www.trfa.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

:lol:

I have no idea why these weirdos are so obsessed with this place.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote: I think there was something in the article about surplus places in the area, so it could be a natural consequence of an unfit system
That is part of the issue with a multitude of different organisations in the same area which don't have the benefit of an upper tier trying to manage the situation for the good of all in the area.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

citizenJA wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:Morning,
have got as far as:

McDonnell's position is also somewhat at odds with the rest of Labour's most recent statements regarding government's Article 50
and Brexit. Corbyn said Tory government will have to meet Labour's demands prior receiving yes vote on Article 50, for example.
McDonnell's position yesterday seems to have upset many (including several normally supportive of him) and satisfied precious few.

Let's hope that he gets the message.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Womble44 wrote:Hi all, this going to be my last post here. I'm afraid I don't find it pleasant to have discussions in a board where a handful of individuals are allowed to troll the board with snide and sarcastic comments aimed at views they know others here hold.

The only reason for making comments in that way is to annoy others, and I'm aware during the time I was lurking that others have left for the same reason. I'd rather spend my time talking to people that at least respect views, even if they disagree with them.

Just to be clear, even though we disagreed constantly, Willow904 that is not directed at you.

Best wishes to you all.
I appreciate you letting me know my robust debate wasn't a factor in your not wanting to post here anymore. I always think it a shame when contributors leave, but also feel very strongly that life is way too short to waste any of it on anything that is making you unhappy. Your contributions added to the variety of opinion and as such were always welcome.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not sure if you are the poster they have most in mind, Willow......

But yes, it is always sad when anybody thinks they can't post here anymore. Especially a relatively recent arrival.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Wed 16 Nov, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Interesting to read this...

Brexit Britain needs to know: is Emperor May naked?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... withdrawal

...in the light of this...
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8m8 minutes ago

Westminster voting intention:
CON: 42% (-5)
LAB: 33% (+4)
LDEM: 10% (+3)
UKIP: 7% (+1)
(via Ipsos Mori)
Still not great for Labour but the longer the Brexit farce goes on, the worse the Tory position will be. It's dawning on voters (IMO) that they really have no clue as to how to proceed with this.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ah.
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 2m2 minutes ago

The government's handling of Britain's exit from the EU has been a...
Good job: 37%
Bad job: 48%
(via Ipsos Mori / 11 - 14 Nov)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The interesting thing there is that the Tories aren't much better off than they were last May.

If polls confirm that in the coming weeks and months, it further reduces the chances of an early GE (which aren't as great as many excitable pundits imagine, anyway)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Although this is slightly odd.
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 2m2 minutes ago

Satisfaction ratings:

T. May:
Satisfied: 54%
Dissatisfied: 30%

J. Corbyn:
Satisfied: 28%
Dissatisfied: 57%

(via Ipsos Mori)
Ignore the Cobyn ratings for a minute, you get the feeling that May is like Cameron in that although government handling of something is dire, she herself is somehow not to blame.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tory MP who quit over Brexit row says Conservatives now ‘Ukip-lite’ under Theresa May
Stephen Phillips, whose resignation has sparked a ‘Brexit by-election’, was also unhappy about other aspects of the Conservatives’ drift to the right, friends said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 98351.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Interesting to read this...

Brexit Britain needs to know: is Emperor May naked?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... withdrawal

...in the light of this...
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8m8 minutes ago

Westminster voting intention:
CON: 42% (-5)
LAB: 33% (+4)
LDEM: 10% (+3)
UKIP: 7% (+1)
(via Ipsos Mori)
Still not great for Labour but the longer the Brexit farce goes on, the worse the Tory position will be. It's dawning on voters (IMO) that they really have no clue as to how to proceed with this.

take the average, not one poll

Average Tory lead is twelve (12) points

This time last Parliament Labour led by 4.5%.

As I said at the time, to round mockery from some, that wasn't going to be enough.

In an election campaign the tories have so much material on Corbyn/McDonnell in reserve that it will be a bloodbath.

All this at the time of the chaos of Brexit.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 20676.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Russia pulls out of International Criminal Court on Vladimir Putin's instructions because it 'is not independent'
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

HindleA wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 20676.html

Russia pulls out of International Criminal Court on Vladimir Putin's instructions because it 'is not independent'
USA is also not a signatory.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The question is whether this poll is the start of a trend of the Tory lead narrowing. If so, then it surely changes calculations.

Of course, nobody sensible disputes that Labour "should" be doing better - much better. But as you know, my blame for that not being the case is quite widely spread :)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The question is whether this poll is the start of a trend of the Tory lead narrowing. If so, then it surely changes calculations.

Of course, nobody sensible disputes that Labour "should" be doing better - much better. But as you know, my blame for that not being the case is quite widely spread :)
I don't know why anybody pays any attention to polls any more, other than to allow pollsters to cherry pick the one reasonably accurate outcome from many false ones after the event.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The interesting thing there is that the Tories aren't much better off than they were last May.

If polls confirm that in the coming weeks and months, it further reduces the chances of an early GE (which aren't as great as many excitable pundits imagine, anyway)
Last May? They've only had one so far ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The question is whether this poll is the start of a trend of the Tory lead narrowing. If so, then it surely changes calculations.

I agree. At least there's a semblance of unity at the moment.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

May seems to be floundering around at PMQ's today.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

"At this stage in the electoral cycle..."

Labour's polling figures will continue to 'improve' so long as the shit stirrers in the PLP remain firmly ensconced in their big box labelled "Losers". While they may not exactly be backing the leadership, it is noticeable that they have all but ceased attacking it (in public). Funny how that could be helpful when the Tories are splitting along every seam.

Also refreshing that Labour is adopting the stance that I suggested they should BTL at PLB during the leadership contest, of making the party more than just the leader. Starmer, Rayner, McDonnell, etc are all getting much higher prominence, which is nothing but a good thing. Compensate for where Corbyn is weak, amplify where he is strong. If he is 'unelectable' as an individual, make the party electable as a whole. The press can attack him all they like then, but if people can be made to feel that he's just one part of a coherent package, then things won't be so bad. So long as Abbott is kept away from the press this may work.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Peter Smith

Shame we all can't be released half way through Philip Davies' sentences. #PMQs
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PLB:
The SNP’s Stephen Gethins asks what guarantees will be given to universities over research funding and on free movement.

May says research funding has only [sic; presumably "already"] been guaranteed. And the government wants the brightest and the best to be able to continue to come to the UK.
Until 2020. While we're still likely to be within the EU because article 50 isn't going to get triggered this year or next year, and the funding has already been guaranteed anyway. Post 2020, this government will wield its hatchets and chop our Research base to pieces.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

AngryAsWell wrote:May seems to be floundering around at PMQ's today.
Fixed.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:May seems to be floundering around at PMQ's today.
Fixed.
Too true, but she was floundering around even more than usual at PMQs today and it seemed to be catching, with Corbyn asking two completely unconnected questions in a single sentence. There's a real sense of disintegration emanating from our political classes at the moment. Everything from local government, the NHS, adult social care, our education system, universities, transport infrastructure, energy strategy, industrial strategy, foreign policy - it's all just falling apart before our eyes and it seems to be infecting those charged with putting it all right. Our politicians seem to be falling apart too. I think it's all the denial. The opposition struggle to attack what the government denies and the media fail to expose.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Brexit talks will take 'a lot longer' than two years, Eurogroup head says - Reuters
https://apple.news/A4L1nAOKVRcuYooWdzdPzyQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Negotiations over Britain's departure from the European Union are very complex and are going to take longer than the scheduled two years, Eurogroup President Jeroen Dijsselbloem said on Wednesday
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Boris Johnson accused of 'insulting' Italians over Brexit and prosecco - The Telegraph
https://apple.news/ATOpTXfP3R3O3XEC7jaF65g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carlo Calenda, a former Italian envoy to Brussels, said that the Foreign Secretary had told him that Italy would sell less prosecco if the European Union did not allow Britain to remain in the single market.

"He basically said, 'I don’t want free movement of people but I want the single market'," Mr Calenda told Bloomberg Television.

"I said, 'no way.' He said, 'you’ll sell less prosecco'. I said, 'OK, you'll sell less fish and chips, but I'll sell less prosecco to one country and you'll sell less to 27 countries''

"Putting things on this level is a bit insulting."

<snip>

He accused Britain of "chaos" over its position ahead of Brexit negotiations and said it was unacceptable for the European Union to be held to ransom over "an internal UK debate".

He said: "Somebody needs to tell us something, and it needs to be something that makes sense.

"You can’t say that it’s sensible to say we want access to the single market but no free circulation of people. It’s obvious that doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.
Things going just as well as you'd think, then.

Edit: added a missing line break
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Wed 16 Nov, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

There are few things to be grateful for at present, but that BoJo now has virtually no chance of ever becoming PM may be one of them.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

From The Independent
Donald Trump’s policy advisors are discussing plans to establish a registry for Muslim immigrants in the US, a man believed to be a key member of the President-elect's transition team has revealed.

Kris Kobach, the secretary of state for Kansas, said the President-elect’s advisors were looking at how to implement a proposal suggested by the billionaire businessman that would force immigrants from Muslim countries to register on a database.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

I never fully appreciated until the last six months just *how* big a fool and abject a wretch this man is:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Twitter suspends American far-right activists' accounts
The move comes as the social network cracks down on hate speech on the site with new tools and features

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
US President-elect Donald Trump has defended his handling of the transition to the White House, amid reports of disarray in his team. (BBC News website)
Perhaps this is getting close to describing what Theresa May and Donald Trump have in common?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37997045