Thursday 17th November 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 17th November 2016

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Re: Thursday 17th November 2016

Post by Bonnylad »

The latest Steve Bell- https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... er-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... hotel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lawyers for an LLC owned by Donald Trump and his children will try again to reclaim tax revenue from Washington, D.C., Bloomberg BNA reported on Wednesday.
I'm struggling to understand how the US democratic system ever allowed Trump on the ballot. His conflict of interests are multiple.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Even amongst the absurdity of recent times, the most absurd story I've seen...

Theresa May does have a plan for Brexit – the question is whether Europe is big enough to embrace it

It's behind the Telegraph's premium wall but I'm not sure there's anything much to read beyond the headline - we know best, what's best for us must be best for everyone, they will have to give us what we want.
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.
Jamie Angus ‏@grvlx001 4m4 minutes ago

Liz Truss refuses to appear on #r4today this morning, it was apparently a 'light touch' media round. That's a new one on me...
Enjoyed hearing Ed Balls on central bank independence - although I'm sure he'd love to be in politics right now, he's clearly not someone who thought it was the end of the world like some have.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Liz Truss refuses to appear on #r4today this morning, it was apparently a 'light touch' media round. That's a new one on me...
Enjoyed hearing Ed Balls on central bank independence - although I'm sure he'd love to be in politics right now, he's clearly not someone who thought it was the end of the world like some have.
Missed that. Sounds like it was a better listen than Digby Jones and his May should still shackle the Lords because, you know, Brexit is coming down the pipeline and there's all these Liberal Lords.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

He sounded on good form too didn't he, in a personal sense ? Best way to get on, ignore all the haters and keep a smile on your face.

I missed part of what he said so will be listening on the Radio 4 replay when they put it up on the website..
Will post the link and the time he's on in the tape later.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

Missive from a post-expert world:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ia ... er-9274983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

NonOxCol wrote:Morning.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ia ... er-9274983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is it about former cricketers?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Which party do I vote for that sees sense on this?

https://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.c ... -it-means/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It isn't Labour.

Greens? Lib Dems? Who?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:

Great cricketer, awful captain and the less said about his political stance and economic understanding the better.
The bustle of Mumbai and Chennai is a reminder of the opportunity Britain can seize outside the European Single Market.

Theresa May ’s visit to India last week showed the close links that already exist and which will be hugely strengthened as we go global following Brexit.
Utterly meaningless. What does he think we'll be able to do for trade in India that we couldn't do before?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

StephenDolan wrote:

Some of them aren't very bright, and 'former' in that comment isn't required.
https://nestaquin.wordpress.com/2011/02 ... led-bambi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Truss having a tough time of it over the prison population. Isn't there a Spad or civil servant she can throw under the bus?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does this government want to punish us for being disabled?
Jane Campbell
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1532968 ... -of-social" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour Press
We are now building the lowest number of social rented homes since records began - John Healey
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

Some of them aren't very bright, and 'former' in that comment isn't required.
https://nestaquin.wordpress.com/2011/02 ... led-bambi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Most cricketers are Tories, and many of those who aren't are UKIP (eg G Boycott) Even an obviously intelligent bloke like Atherton is a confirmed blue politically :oops:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Okay. That rain is coming down too hard now. I'm a bit frightened.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

There goes the last of the yellowed leaves.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

StephenDolan wrote:

Missed that. Sounds like it was a better listen than Digby Jones and his May should still shackle the Lords because, you know, Brexit is coming down the pipeline and there's all these Liberal Lords.
Just to add to the Digby Jones issue.

I have had reasons during my business career reason to have dealings with Jones both directly and indirectly.

He is the most vacuous, self serving empty vessel you could ever meet with pretty close to zero credibility within the business community I frequented.

Judgment should be made not just on the current directorships etc. he currently holds but what has happened to some of the companies he has held advisory positions with in the past. It would not paint a pretty picture.

The best comment I heard regarding him was that he was "the walking personification of the spirit of big business at its corporate worse"

Incidentally to my personal knowledge he has never made any secret privately of his political views which are very much closer to Farage than May.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The best comment I heard regarding him was more succinct, it may have been someone here.

Digby Jones is an arse.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-379924 ... ce=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elderly failed by 'shameful' care system
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

As an arse,I take exception to that comparison.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Sun's out now! Cheerful and bright.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:As an arse,I take exception to that comparison.
I agree, Jones is better compared to a festering bumboil shurely :)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... pent-funds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eu-set-to-ask-ukip-group-to-repay-almost-150000-in-misspent-funds

:lol: :lol: :lol:
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
HindleA wrote:As an arse,I take exception to that comparison.
I agree, Jones is better compared to a festering bumboil shurely :)
My festering bumboil objects to that. He's one of those people who is far more pleased with himself than he's any business being.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Sian Griffiths ‏@SianGriffiths6 39s40 seconds ago

Chief inspector of prisons Peter Clarke says @trussliz needs to "get a grip" on prison crisis
That moment when someone you appoint thinking he won't make waves suddenly starts to rock the boat...Truss way out of her depth in this job.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... pent-funds

eu-set-to-ask-ukip-group-to-repay-almost-150000-in-misspent-funds

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sure they will comply politely :)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well that was a fun trip out for our Y5 swimming lesson.

Not so much the swimming but the fact that the coachdriver decided to take us back to a completely different school. Ironically the one I used to attend so I realised fairly quickly were he was going when he turned off.

Painters are just finishing the front of the house, so when they've done I can go back to the library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well that was a fun trip out for our Y5 swimming lesson.

Not so much the swimming but the fact that the coachdriver decided to take us back to a completely different school. Ironically the one I used to attend so I realised fairly quickly were he was going when he turned off.

Painters are just finishing the front of the house, so when they've done I can go back to the library.
I also have a primary school swimming bus story.

It was a few years back. Mine are at secondary school now. It must have been a new driver because he set off the wrong way from the school and went up the hill. This was no mean feat, as it involves a very steep, narrow hairpin bend among other hazards (those familiar with pennine West Yorkshire will know what I mean).

At this point, he realised he had gone the wrong way. He should have carried on and eventually he could have found his way round on a sensible route. But no he decided to turn round and go back down! This time he failed to negotiate the hairpin, demolished a couple of walls and completely blocked the road. The kids got off and walked back to school. No swimming that day.

My kids were very proud as they were among the few who didn't scream and cry ;-)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Sian Griffiths ‏@SianGriffiths6 39s40 seconds ago

Chief inspector of prisons Peter Clarke says @trussliz needs to "get a grip" on prison crisis
That moment when someone you appoint thinking he won't make waves suddenly starts to rock the boat...Truss way out of her depth in this job.
The sound for help went up from prison guards and they were forced back into work without necessary resources.
Tory government must responsibly provide relief to unsustainable pressures now. The problems stemming from
economies, changes to procedure always get larger every time it's done.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote: Painters are just finishing the front of the house
Excellent - all done. No idea when the scaffolding people will come and take down their erection but that's their problem.

I was a bit worried that they wouldn't get it done before the winter. Having proper wood sash windows and doors does come with their own problems - like getting them repainted every few years.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: Painters are just finishing the front of the house
Excellent - all done. No idea when the scaffolding people will come and take down their erection but that's their problem.

I was a bit worried that they wouldn't get it done before the winter. Having proper wood sash windows and doors does come with their own problems - like getting them repainted every few years.
Brings back dear memories of my colour bind dad, who once painted the front of the house brown and the back green. lol
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

When he was taking questions after his speech this morning Clive Lewis, the shadow business secretary, suggested that schools and colleges were not doing enough to teach young people to think critically. He said:

I think one of the things you are seeing with this government, for six years now, has been a complete failure in terms of apprenticeships, in terms of training, in terms of our approach to schooling and to further education and universities.

This is a little bit of a bugbear of mine. I think our schools and our universities and our technical colleges should have a strict focus on providing people who can come into the workplace and who have those skills and the knowledge to be able to do the jobs that we need them to do. But I’m also keen that schools and colleges and universities produce good citizens, people who can actually take part in a modern, democratic system.

I don’t just want to create automatons and consumers, people who can take and be told what to do, what to think. We want people coming out of school that ask, that have the ability, the critical faculty, to ask questions. Those people are often far more creative in their approaches, and it’s creativity and innovation which is going to be at the heart of the 21st century fourth industrial revolution and we have got to get ahead of that curve. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Too right!

By the way, it's absolutely tipping it down here in the sunny South and is very windy.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Checks wood.Not many around here haven't replaced them,or put tarmac in place of front lawn for that matter.We experimented with a small side window,didn't like it so kept the rest as wood.I am being different by keeping the same.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If Ukip misused public funds to help win Brexit, could there be a legal argument about the result ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:If Ukip misused public funds to help win Brexit, could there be a legal argument about the result ?
I don't think so since they ran their own campaign. Wasn't there's Leave.EU whereas the official one was Vote Leave? Or was it the other way round? I forget now...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

UKIP was the unofficial one, which was why Patel, Johnson etc brushed off criticism of the Farage migrant poster.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I'm shocked, shocked that Hannan would post something that was manifestly untrue and delete his tweets when he got found out!

How many times has he done this now?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well.
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 6m6 minutes ago

On how the government is doing at negotiating Britain's exit from the European Union:
Well: 18% (-7)
Badly: 52% (+6)
(via YouGov)
:D
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well.

On how the government is doing at negotiating Britain's exit from the European Union:
(via YouGov)
And this albatross needs to firmly stay around this government's and this government's only collective neck.

You wanted it? You own the bugger.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

By the way, it's absolutely tipping it down here in the sunny South and is very windy.
There you are PF, for some reason our discussions this morning made me think of you. :)
Good morfternoon.

Very wet here too now. North Yorkshire.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

As many as 18%?

Didn't think the Express had that many readers these days ;)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

(via YouGov)
And the follow-up about whether Mayhem's doing a good job?
The GB public will sink under the weight of its own contradictions soon.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

18% never read further than Brexit means Brexit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:

(via YouGov)
And the follow-up about whether Mayhem's doing a good job?
The GB public will sink under the weight of its own contradictions soon.
Our blessed PM cannot defy gravity forever.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Get yer violins out!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/ren ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

HindleA wrote:Checks wood.Not many around here haven't replaced them,or put tarmac in place of front lawn for that matter.We experimented with a small side window,didn't like it so kept the rest as wood.I am being different by keeping the same.
Our front windows were ex sash windows when i bought the house and needed further repairs doing before finally being replaced 15 years ago.
We used to meet with varying degrees of resistance getting daughter out the house when she was a toddler, and eventually realised she was sticking a finger up a hole in the frame as a weather test in the morning & deciding her itinerary accordingly.
Still replaced them with wood though, except double (rather than nearly) glazed.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The day is closing.
Tea.