Tuesday 22nd November 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 22nd November 2016

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:'A quick recap of the main points

1) Britain is on track to blow past its budget forecasts for this year, despite cutting its borrowing in October by 25%.

The UK has now borrowed £48.6bn since April 2016, down from £54.2bn a year ago, but already close to the £55bn target for this current financial year (to March 2017).

Economists believe it could overshoot the target by £10bn or more, underlining the weak state of the public finances.

The better news is that October’s deficit fell to £4.8bn, from £6.4bn a year ago, thanks to a rise in corporation tax receipts.'

That's from the G business live blog.

The BBC news app has

Government borrowing falls on record October tax take - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38062164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What has Tory government spent this money on?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Inspiral Carpets drummer Craig Gill dies aged 44 (Manchester Evening News)
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... responsive
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:

1) Britain is on track to blow past its budget forecasts for this year, despite cutting its borrowing in October by 25%.

The UK has now borrowed £48.6bn since April 2016, down from £54.2bn a year ago, but already close to the £55bn target for this current financial year (to March 2017).

Economists believe it could overshoot the target by £10bn or more, underlining the weak state of the public finances.

The better news is that October’s deficit fell to £4.8bn, from £6.4bn a year ago, thanks to a rise in corporation tax receipts.'

The BBC news app has

Government borrowing falls on record October tax take - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38062164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clearing up Labour's mess of course, silly. :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"It speaks volumes about government priorities that the Treasury briefed journalists ahead of Wednesday’s autumn statement
that an extra £1.3bn would be spent on roads. Yet we have been kept in the dark over any rescue package for the tottering
social care system, on which the chances of the NHS getting through the winter so critically depend."

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... e-save-nhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

The BBC news app has

You're a good friend here, StephenDolan, and I'm glad to see your posts always. I know, of course, you're joking.
I've seen on threads elsewhere liars are still claiming this junk and expecting to be believed. People are bombarded
with disreputable information and terrifying current events. Critical thinking skills go right the hell out the window when
under chronic anxiety. I look into the faces of national leadership and they're saying things they know are a lie but count
on no one calling them out right then and there about their lies. It's a sickening feeling. These are people with power.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

adam wrote:
yahyah wrote:Polling is ok then ? Aren't we supposed to ''learn to ignore it'' ?
Someone forgot to send that memo to the Labour party.

''Labour hires ad firm and pollsters to 'get ready' for snap election ''
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/j ... _hp_ref=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I honestly and straightforwardly do not understand why anybody would pay any much attention to opinion polls, given that in virtually every way that matters in recent years they have been so hopeless. It doesn't matter that pollsters might have got the national vote share in the US more or less right, they were astronomically wrong in the state by state polls that actually mattered.

I'm not having a go at you at all, YahYah. I just genuinely don't know why anyone would be bothered with them, they're hopeless.

So why are Labour going to spend money on them? That's my point.
There must be some value for a political party to employ polling companies or why would they spend the dosh ?

And I never take offence at you Adam.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

OK - on Bregzit

Etymologically the word Brexit comes I am fairly sure from Grexit.

Now that clearly wasn't Gregzit....

.... or we'd have confused it with this
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 16.55.58.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 16.55.58.png (310.2 KiB) Viewed 11436 times
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
citizenJA wrote: What has Tory government spent this money on?
You're a good friend here, StephenDolan, and I'm glad to see your posts always. I know, of course, you're joking.
I've seen on threads elsewhere liars are still claiming this junk and expecting to be believed. People are bombarded
with disreputable information and terrifying current events. Critical thinking skills go right the hell out the window when
under chronic anxiety. I look into the faces of national leadership and they're saying things they know are a lie but count
on no one calling them out right then and there about their lies. It's a sickening feeling. These are people with power.
Thanks CJA and yes, it is a sickening feeling. The fourth estate aren't carrying out roll. Ditto TV based news. If you know someone has blatantly lied, nail them for it. Apart from Neil, Crick, Mair and perhaps OBrien, who does this?

As an aside, does unparliamentary behaviour apply to MPs addressing, talking about MPs in the Commons only?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... looks-like" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Social care isn’t just about looking after an ageing population
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:As an aside, does unparliamentary behaviour apply to MPs addressing, talking about MPs in the Commons only?
The Code of Conduct for Members of Parliament
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

re: Greggzit.
It almost kind of makes sense,
Greggzit, in this country opened the door, starting a transatlantic trend resulting in the meteoric rise of an unstoppable Trump.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinybgoat wrote:re: Greggzit.
It almost kind of makes sense,
Greggzit, in this country opened the door, starting a transatlantic trend resulting in the meteoric rise of an unstoppable Trump.
:lol:
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

yahyah wrote:Polling is ok then ? Aren't we supposed to ''learn to ignore it'' ?
Someone forgot to send that memo to the Labour party.

''Labour hires ad firm and pollsters to 'get ready' for snap election ''
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/j ... _hp_ref=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I thinks pollings probably useful if you look at the changes from poll to poll, as opposed to paying too much heed to the totals. It also gets used as propaganda tool, by framing questions so it's probably necessary for Labour to commission some.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Does anyone know what Italy is referenduming on on 4 Dec?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Do you approve the text of the constitutional bill concerning "Dispositions for the surmounting of perfect bicameralism, the reduction of the number of Members of Parliament, the reduction of institutional operating costs, the abolition of CNEL and the revision of Title V of Part II of the Constitution," which was approved by Parliament and published in the Gazzetta Ufficiale n. 88, on April 15, 2016?"

Hope that makes sense.

"Ti approvare il testo del disegno di legge costituzionale recante "Disposizioni per il superamento del bicameralismo perfetto, la riduzione del numero dei membri del Parlamento, la riduzione dei costi operativi istituzionali, l'abolizione del CNEL e la revisione del Titolo V della parte II la Costituzione, "che è stato approvato dal Parlamento e pubblicato nella Gazzetta Ufficiale n. 88, in data 15 aprile 2016?"
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 22 Nov, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:"Do you approve the text of the constitutional bill concerning "Dispositions for the surmounting of perfect bicameralism, the reduction of the number of Members of Parliament, the reduction of institutional operating costs, the abolition of CNEL and the revision of Title V of Part II of the Constitution," which was approved by Parliament and published in the Gazzetta Ufficiale n. 88, on April 15, 2016?"

Hope that makes sense.
The Italians are always doing something fun and interesting.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Nigel Farage has accused Downing Street of putting its dislike of him ahead of the national interest . . . (BBC News website)
I think I would, too, on reflection.

Edited to get the quote thing right
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Rienzi says he'll resign if it gets rejected.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Bicameralism?
That's a new one on me.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Welsh Government has announced changes to student grants.

Instead of the universal £5,100 currently given to every student in Wales, grants will be limited to students from families who earn less than £59,200 but be more generous.

The changes follow on from a report by Professor Ian Diamond and his recommendations have been accepted apart from a few minor issues.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/educa ... s-12214118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:
Nigel Farage has accused Downing Street of putting its dislike of him ahead of the national interest . . . (BBC News website)
I think I would, too, on reflection.
I'd say disliking Farage is in the national interest.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I wonder what the monarchy will provide for "us" (re distraction value) over the next couple of years.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Harry's wedding and first sprog ?
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

yahyah wrote:Harry's wedding and first sprog ?
All three grandfathers will be thrilled.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Harry's wedding and first sprog ?
Possibly. A coronation? Why do things by halves?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016 ... aze-his-hq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BA boss shocked to find out that third Heathrow runway will raze his HQ
Airline chief Wille Walsh furious about not being told of demolition – and about fact he will ‘end up paying for the destruction’
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Many people would like to see @Nigel_Farage represent Great Britain as their Ambassador to the United States. He would do a great job!

Guy Verhofstadt ‏@GuyVerhofstadt 3h3 hours ago
Guy Verhofstadt Retweeted Donald J. Trump
One clown in Washington is more than enough #EPlenaryGuy Verhofstadt added,
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

A friend just posted this over on FB.

Laffer Curve

http://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/laffer-curve

Oh dear. Not one single respondent thought that a cut in income tax would lead to higher tax revenues in five years time. 71% said disagree or strongly disagree.

:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/commis ... 49.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GPs forced to drive patients to hospital amid 'shocking' ambulance delays
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW views are differing about the significance of the dropping of mandatory nature of pay to stay,to voluntary ie.whether many will choose to do so,given little or no sign up until now.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:"Do you approve the text of the constitutional bill concerning "Dispositions for the surmounting of perfect bicameralism, the reduction of the number of Members of Parliament, the reduction of institutional operating costs, the abolition of CNEL and the revision of Title V of Part II of the Constitution," which was approved by Parliament and published in the Gazzetta Ufficiale n. 88, on April 15, 2016?"

Hope that makes sense.
The Italians are always doing something fun and interesting.
Presumably yes, no, yes, no and I'm not sure about the last one is not an acceptable response? ;-)

Forza Italia are calling for a No I believe, which is why I noticed it in the first place.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Still pondering over the Italian referendum question,but think the correct answer is Robeto Boninsegna in the 37th minute.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... P=soc_3156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m a doctor, not a gatekeeper turning ‘health tourists’ away
Rachel Clarke
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ationalist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turkey: Erdoğan rule could extend until 2029 under proposal
AKP likely to table referendum bill to amend constitution and nationalist support would now allow motion to pass
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Care homes in crisis as revised figures reveal surge in insolvencies
Chancellor urged to offer financial support in autumn statement as data shows 380 businesses have collapsed since 2010
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... CMP=twt_gu

Care homes in crisis as revised figures reveal surge in insolvencies
Chancellor urged to offer financial support in autumn statement as data shows 380 businesses have collapsed since 2010
They shouldn't be businesses in the first place. It's obvious that it's not an area which lends itself to profit if a good standard of care is to be maintained. Surely that's become obvious to the dimmest, by now.

Edited - typo
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 22 Nov, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... s-holyrood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scotland wins battle to end voluntary work programme sanctions
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Scientists for EU and 6 others liked
Manfred Weber ‏@ManfredWeber 10h10 hours ago
Unfortunately I haven’t heard anything new f/ @DavidDavisMP today. For us it’s clear: The 4 fundamental freedoms are not negotiable. #Brexit
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

"Mr O’Leary warned that the remaining EU nations would ensure that the UK would be “screwed into the floor”. He likened the Government's approach to Dad’s Army, and ridiculed the notion floated by Theresa May that transition arrangements could be negotiated.

Of the three Cabinet ministers responsible for Brexit — David Davis, Boris Johnson and Liam Fox — the Ryanair boss said: “If their IQ was one point lower they’d be plants”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 31816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Guardian view on the NHS cash crisis: social care comes first
Editorial
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 32671.html
Donald Trump says he believes there is ‘some connectivity’ between humans and climate change in major U-turn>
Travis Nichols, a spokesman for Greenpeace, told The Independent that regardless of what Mr Trump had said to the newspaper, the fact he had appointed a series of climate change deniers and oil industry lobbyists to his transition team indicated his administration would still be in “climate denial”.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Government looking to ban letting agent fees
Reports are beginning to circulate the Treasury is being briefed on banning letting agent fees.

http://www.24housing.co.uk/news/governm ... gent-fees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... le-housing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

19th September

#Gavin Barwell
@Bad idea - landlords would pass cost to tenants via rent. We're looking at other ways to cut upfront costs & raise standards
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Other measures designed to target the so-called Jams include:

"Ploughing over £1bn into universal credit over five years by reducing the rate at which benefits are taken off people as they progress through work, following demands for action by Conservative backbenchers.
Increasing the national living wage from £7.20 to £7.50 an hour from April 2017, slightly below the £7.60 estimate by the independent Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR).
Allocating £4.3m a year towards strengthening minimum wage enforcement."
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

At least nothing is being leaked in advance...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Taper on Universal Credit to fall from 65% to 63%. After tax, NI, and council tax support people to lose 80p rather than 81p on £1 earned"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"The total legal costs of the proceedings in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court in respect of MA & Others, Re A and Rutherford, which concerned the under-occupancy penalty, as of the 9 November 2016, when the Supreme Court judgement was handed down, was £484,077.94.
This figure includes the costs of the Supreme Court proceedings in respect of MA & Others, Re A and Rutherford, as of the 9 November 2016, which was £206,842.65. Previous references to this figure were made during an Urgent Question debate and also in a recent PQ answer.
These can be found at:
https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2 ... ancyCharge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... &uin=53044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It should be noted that the above figures include Counsel’s fees, Government Legal Department litigation fees and other disbursements as well as VAT where payable.
Government Legal Department litigation have worked approximately 1365.9 hours in relation to these proceedings. Time spent by Government advisory lawyers is not recorded in a manner that allows it to be attributed to individual cases. Time spent by policy officials supporting lawyers is also not recorded.