Friday 25th November 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 25th November 2016

Post by Willow904 »

Someone (citizenJA?) was asking about an upcoming Italian referendum:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/inve ... -vote.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After Brexit and Trump, a third global iceberg looms: How Italy's referendum could send shockwaves through the EU and beyond
Madhatter (Republican) Tea Party dream if Italy is next on the populist rollercoaster and decides to Italexit.

Anyone got anything more cheery?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There is likely to be a "no" vote in the upcoming Italian referendum (certainly if polls are at all accurate this time) but even if it happens their exiting the EU is extremely unlikely.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There is likely to be a "no" vote in the upcoming Italian referendum (certainly if polls are at all accurate this time) but even if it happens their exiting the EU is extremely unlikely.
I didn't think any politician in this country would be stupid enough to hold a referendum on leaving the EU, but it happened. This is exactly what quite a few of the Tory Eurosceptics have been trying to achieve for a long time, not just Britain leaving the EU but to destroy the whole project. I'm sure Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin will do everything they can to jolly the EU's demise along.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Think I might give twitter a swerve tomorrow given the frenzied tweeting that's like to come about from this.
KatharineBirbalsingh ‏@Miss_Snuffy 8m8 minutes ago London, England

Book launch all day tomorrow - 9am to 4pm - live streamed at https://livestream.com/L4L/Michaela" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; We will be tweeting all day School all set. Can't wait!
:roll:

Meanwhile our local paper has a pic from our school where the HT has just been awarded his Doctorate in Education and 5 teachers their Masters degrees. Most other teachers are working towards their Masters too. One teachers has now embarked on his PhD now.

But hey, we're only a 'council-run school' and thus not important enough to attract attention from the new edu Blob in this country.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Alex Wickham Verified account
‏@WikiGuido

Nigel Farage has given an interview explaining why he'd be a better US ambassador than Sir Kim Darroch. To Russia Today.
:lol:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:There is likely to be a "no" vote in the upcoming Italian referendum (certainly if polls are at all accurate this time) but even if it happens their exiting the EU is extremely unlikely.
I didn't think any politician in this country would be stupid enough to hold a referendum on leaving the EU, but it happened. This is exactly what quite a few of the Tory Eurosceptics have been trying to achieve for a long time, not just Britain leaving the EU but to destroy the whole project. I'm sure Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin will do everything they can to jolly the EU's demise along.
There are indications that pro-EU sentiment in most member states has actually increased since our Brexit vote.

The people you mention would be better off trying to engineer a le Pen victory next year if they want something that could seriously shake up things.

(and yes, I would not at all be surprised if they did)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
There are indications that pro-EU sentiment in most member states has actually increased since our Brexit vote.
Yes. I posted a link, earlier today, to a Washington Post article which was saying just that (pro-EU sentiment on the rise).
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Nigel Farage's pro-Brexit march on Supreme Court 'postponed' over fears of far-right hijacking
EXCLUSIVE: Leave.EU confirms to IBTimes UK that the demonstration has been called off.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/pro-brexit-mar ... ed-1593471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Or are they scared no one will turn up, like the last one that expected 15,000 and 200 turned up?)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AngryAsWell wrote:Nigel Farage's pro-Brexit march on Supreme Court 'postponed' over fears of far-right hijacking
EXCLUSIVE: Leave.EU confirms to IBTimes UK that the demonstration has been called off.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/pro-brexit-mar ... ed-1593471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Or are they scared no one will turn up, like the last one that expected 15,000 and 200 turned up?)
Far right turn up for Farage? Surely not.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Congratulations to Dr RoT btw :)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote: So far Trump is resisting this measure and yet it appears running a company in debt to foreign states means he'll be in breach of the US constitution the moment he is sworn in. One imagines Trump will have to give in on this as the other two options - him taking office illegally or the electoral college refusing to elect him - are both just so constitutionally explosive it's almost impossible to imagine either happening. And yet, the unimaginable seems to be a bit if a theme this year.....
It's not enough for him to be breaking the law, or ignoring precedent, or going the whole hog down the 'treason, bribery or other high crimes or misdemeanors' path. The House of Representatives would actually have to vote to impeach him. It seems very unlikely.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Also many more congratulations R o'T. Is it like graduates before the actual graduation ceremony, are you a Doctorand? There's a comedy routine there, surely.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote: So far Trump is resisting this measure and yet it appears running a company in debt to foreign states means he'll be in breach of the US constitution the moment he is sworn in. One imagines Trump will have to give in on this as the other two options - him taking office illegally or the electoral college refusing to elect him - are both just so constitutionally explosive it's almost impossible to imagine either happening. And yet, the unimaginable seems to be a bit if a theme this year.....
It's not enough for him to be breaking the law, or ignoring precedent, or going the whole hog down the 'treason, bribery or other high crimes or misdemeanors' path. The House of Representatives would actually have to vote to impeach him. It seems very unlikely.
I think this article is saying that the electoral college representatives would be in breach of the constitution in electing him knowing, as they do, he has business interests that make him in hock to foreign governments and therefore unfit to govern. That's a little different to electing him in good faith only to later find he's done something wrong. In electing him they will be complicit in ignoring the constitution. That he would put the electoral college in this position shows he is unfit to govern. If the Americans allow him to ignore their democratic conventions from the off, they are in big, big trouble in my opinion. They need to insist on the blind trust before agreeing to make him President or where will it end? No other President has been allowed to run a business while running the country and if it's so impossible for him to give up his empire he shouldn't have put himself forward for a public service role, should he?

http://www.newyorker.com/business/curre ... st-problem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:
adam wrote:
I think this article is saying that the electoral college representatives would be in breach of the constitution in electing him knowing, as they do, he has business interests that make him in hock to foreign governments and therefore unfit to govern. That's a little different to electing him in good faith only to later find he's done something wrong. In electing him they will be complicit in ignoring the constitution. That he would put the electoral college in this position shows he is unfit to govern. If the Americans allow him to ignore their democratic conventions from the off, they are in big, big trouble in my opinion. They need to insist on the blind trust before agreeing to make him President or where will it end? No other President has been allowed to run a business while running the country and if it's so impossible for him to give up his empire he shouldn't have put himself forward for a public service role, should he?

http://www.newyorker.com/business/curre ... st-problem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Again, I would be surprised. I think you're effectively relying on Republican politicians to put constitutional questions before their party's self interest.

Don't get me wrong, it's an absurd disgrace that he seems to think his conflicts of interest just don't matter. I just think the politicians in power in the states will probably agree with him. Lots of members of Bush's governments held investments in properties edit - companies - albeit held them in blind trusts during their terms of office - that shot up in value because of their government's policies, and nothing happened to any of them in terms of public censure. I don't think people care. I think it's absurd and awful, but I don't think people will care.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Remember that in 2000 a staunchly republican slanted supreme court and those presidential electoral college electors put Bush in the white house despite knowing full well that he had lost Florida and so had lost the electoral college vote. Don't project your decency onto indecent people.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
adam wrote: It's not enough for him to be breaking the law, or ignoring precedent, or going the whole hog down the 'treason, bribery or other high crimes or misdemeanors' path. The House of Representatives would actually have to vote to impeach him. It seems very unlikely.

Again, I would be surprised. I think you're effectively relying on Republican politicians to put constitutional questions before their party's self interest.

Don't get me wrong, it's an absurd disgrace that he seems to think his conflicts of interest just don't matter. I just think the politicians in power in the states will probably agree with him. Lots of members of Bush's governments held investments in properties edit - companies - albeit held them in blind trusts during their terms of office - that shot up in value because of their government's policies, and nothing happened to any of them in terms of public censure. I don't think people care. I think it's absurd and awful, but I don't think people will care.
I agree a blind trust doesn't entirely solve the issue but the point is that he is refusing to do even that, he's refusing to do what all other US politicians do. Why did any of them bother in the past if there was no need to? Why observe any of the rules, if power hungry Republicans are going to turn a blind eye? Give him an inch and he'll take a yard. If the Republican party are expecting to control him they need to start as they mean to go on and make it very clear he can't expect to be treated any differently to any other President from the get go.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:I agree a blind trust doesn't entirely solve the issue but the point is that he is refusing to do even that, he's refusing to do what all other US politicians do. Why did any of them bother in the past if there was no need to? Why observe any of the rules, if power hungry Republicans are going to turn a blind eye? Give him an inch and he'll take a yard. If the Republican party are expecting to control him they need to start as they mean to go on and make it very clear he can't expect to be treated any differently to any other President from the get go.
I'm not sure they do expect to control him. I suspect - and I think it looks this way from the appointments he's made so far - that he will give the neocon hardcore what they want in terms of policy.

Bush responded to the September 11th attacks by forcing through a massive tax cut for the wealthiest and for corporations that he hadn't been able to force through Congress before. He responded to Hurricaine Katrina in New Orleans by not responding for ages, and then by giving lots of public money to private companies to do fuck all beyond enriching themselves. He told ridiculous lies about Iraq and then gave more public wealth, including a great deal of Iraq's public wealth, to those private companies again. His party were perfectly happy with him.

Trump has given the republicans a massive victory they were not expecting at all - they were expecting to lose the presidency, and to the supreme court, and probably the senate. Instead they have all of them and congress. And a significant majority of state houses and governorships. And given the senate cycle even if Trump is a catastrophe they could still expect to increase their hold on the senate in the mid terms, and gerrymandering makes it incredibly difficult for the democrats to win the house. They've won, they're in power, and they won't fuck it up because of constitutional principals.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:Remember that in 2000 a staunchly republican slanted supreme court and those presidential electoral college electors put Bush in the white house despite knowing full well that he had lost Florida and so had lost the electoral college vote. Don't project your decency onto indecent people.
It''s not me raising these constitutional problems, you know, but the US press. :) I'm just linking stuff and suggesting that what little democracy the US ever had will be flushed down the toilet if they allow him to become President without putting at least a veneer of distance between himself and his business interests. I don't know if they are decent people or not but they're fools if they allow him to ignore the rules so blatantly.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:
adam wrote:Remember that in 2000 a staunchly republican slanted supreme court and those presidential electoral college electors put Bush in the white house despite knowing full well that he had lost Florida and so had lost the electoral college vote. Don't project your decency onto indecent people.
It''s not me raising these constitutional problems, you know, but the US press. :) I'm just linking stuff and suggesting that what little democracy the US ever had will be flushed down the toilet if they allow him to become President without putting at least a veneer of distance between himself and his business interests. I don't know if they are decent people or not but they're fools if they allow him to ignore the rules so blatantly.
From the article
It turns out that there is no legal requirement that a President divest himself or herself of private business interests or investments while in office. Nor is there a requirement that he place investments or companies he controls in a blind trust, by which an independent third party manages the assets while he serves in government.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The article continues with this, though:
The authors of the Constitution, however, did have insight into the potential abuse of the office of President, and they inserted something called the Emoluments Clause into Section 9 of Article I. It states, in part, that “no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.”
No other advanced democracy would tolerate this of level of conflict of interest so openly. I don't think this is business as usual, however low your opinion of the Republican party may be. We are talking about Trump's children holding key political roles while running his empire.

Btw, if the electoral college wanted to choose someone else, who are their options? Does it have to be a presidential candidate or could they choose Pence (just curious, I appreciate it's the least likely of the possible outcomes).
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:The article continues with this, though:
The authors of the Constitution, however, did have insight into the potential abuse of the office of President, and they inserted something called the Emoluments Clause into Section 9 of Article I. It states, in part, that “no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.”
No other advanced democracy would tolerate this of level of conflict of interest so openly. I don't think this is business as usual, however low your opinion of the Republican party may be. We are talking about Trump's children holding key political roles while running his empire.

Btw, if the electoral college wanted to choose someone else, who are their options? Does it have to be a presidential candidate or could they choose Pence (just curious, I appreciate it's the least likely of the possible outcomes).
I think they can, in theory, choose whoever they want but that they are officially bound by the mandate of their state and they can face personal consequences - prosecutions and fines - if they choose to be 'faithless electors'.

I honestly don't think your opinion of the republican party is low enough.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

adam wrote:
Willow904 wrote:The article continues with this, though:

I think they can, in theory, choose whoever they want but that they are officially bound by the mandate of their state and they can face personal consequences - prosecutions and fines - if they choose to be 'faithless electors'.

I honestly don't think your opinion of the republican party is low enough.
Thanks. You're probably right.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

There is also a constitutional argument about whether any restrictive clauses rules regulations or laws actually include the President. The Supreme Court ruled that the president had absolute immunity for any actions committed whilst in office (in order to completely kill off any possibility of Nixon facing criminal or civil legal consequences from his time in office.)

And again, ultimately you are relying upon the republicans in the house and senate and the republican slanted supreme court to uphold these things against the interest of their party.

edit - I don't mean 'You, Willow' - I appreciate what you said before.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

A good quote from Karl Rove, Bush's deputy chief of staff, talking to a journalist back in 2002
“People like you are in what we call the reality-based community. You believe that solutions emerge from judicious study of the discernible reality. That’s not the way the world really works any more.”
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... itals-told" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Send patients to private sector to avert winter crisis, hospitals told
Leaked memos also reveal ban on ‘black alerts’ by NHS bosses