Monday 12th December 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Monday 12th December 2016

Post by StephenDolan »

Goooooooooood morning.

The low regulation and tax experiment of Kansas. Anyone going to be mocked?
http://www.salon.com/2016/12/11/the-con ... t_partner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 12th December 2016

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ocial-care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raising council tax will 'increase postcode lottery' in social care
Experts say wealthy areas will find it easier to meet rising demand for social care funding leaving poorer with ‘squalid life’
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Morning, following link is from a post on Clive Lewis's twitter (which itself has some good responses to 'articles' in the daily mail )

https://thinkceaseblog.wordpress.com/20 ... -concerns/

following snippet shows main thrust of article, but I think the whole thing's worth a read.
When you’re a public figure, and you’re prepared to play politics with ethnic minorities’ lives, you’re a racist, and your racism is significantly more consequential than some meathead nobody who yells at the odd mosque and keeps a few Nazi books on their shelf but essentially has no impact on anybody other than the unfortunate few to encounter them in their daily lives.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -new-study" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Most human misery can be blamed on failed relationships and physical and mental illness rather than money problems and poverty, according to a landmark study by a team of researchers at the London School of Economics (LSE).
They must have missed the research on the effect of status on the immune system of monkeys, which explains why rising living standards alone isn't enough, if some people are cast in a lower status symbol role and basically concluded that reducing inequality as much as possible was key to improving health and happiness. It's almost as if they're looking for excuses not to tackle inequality, isn't it?
Layard rejected accusations that he was arguing against closing income inequalities but said improvements in mental health services would have a greater impact.
He really needs to look at the monkey experiment. Mental health services would be less necessary if the Tory government stopped treating certain sections of society as second class citizens.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -new-study
Most human misery can be blamed on failed relationships and physical and mental illness rather than money problems and poverty, according to a landmark study by a team of researchers at the London School of Economics (LSE).
They must have missed the research on the effect of status on the immune system of monkeys, which explains why rising living standards alone isn't enough, if some people are cast in a lower status symbol role and basically concluded that reducing inequality as much as possible was key to improving health and happiness. It's almost as if they're looking for excuses not to tackle inequality, isn't it?
Layard rejected accusations that he was arguing against closing income inequalities but said improvements in mental health services would have a greater impact.
He really needs to look at the monkey experiment. Mental health services would be less necessary if the Tory government stopped treating certain sections of society as second class citizens.
Well quite and of course there are myriad causal connections between poverty and all of failed relationships, physical and mental illness.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

tinybgoat wrote:Morning, following link is from a post on Clive Lewis's twitter (which itself has some good responses to 'articles' in the daily mail )

following snippet shows main thrust of article, but I think the whole thing's worth a read.
When you’re a public figure, and you’re prepared to play politics with ethnic minorities’ lives, you’re a racist, and your racism is significantly more consequential than some meathead nobody who yells at the odd mosque and keeps a few Nazi books on their shelf but essentially has no impact on anybody other than the unfortunate few to encounter them in their daily lives.
Thank you I only have time to skim through, but it appears to be n excellent piece.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:Morning, following link is from a post on Clive Lewis's twitter (which itself has some good responses to 'articles' in the daily mail )

Thank you I only have time to skim through, but it appears to be n excellent piece.
Ditto.

White working class. Those that use such a phrase might want to reflect on why it's not just 'white'.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... gher-rules" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK considers plans to nearly halve international student visas
Home Office looks at slashing numbers from 300,000 to 170,000 under tougher student visa rules
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

:wall: :wall:

Not just the elderly.This isn't a moot/pedantic point.Earlier judicious intervention/attention is mutually beneficial and saves money regardless of age.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Grammars plan will not help in 96% of areas in England, analysis finds

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... es-england
Less than 4% of local authority areas in England would see a boost to educational attainment from new grammar schools and attract the necessary parental support to make them a success, according to a new analysis.

The report by the Education Policy Institute said only six of the 152 local authorities appeared to have the necessary conditions for new grammars to work.

The study, labelled “highly speculative” by the Department for Education, comes on the final day of the government’s three-month consultation about Theresa May’s plan for the first wave of new grammar schools in decades.
Fun facts
1. The EPI is the new name for CentreForum - the old LibDem edu thinktank but which still has David Laws as its Executive Chairman.
2. Its Director of Education data and Statistics worked in the Department for Education from 2003 to 2016 as a statistician.
3. One of its advisory board, Dr Tim Leunig, is the Chief Scientific Adviser and Chief Analyst at the Department for Education.

Highly speculative eh? Hmm...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

It's certainly comprehensive, and very well put.
Telling voters, as Carwyn Jones has done, that it’s understandable and rational to vote against their own economic interests for a privatisation-happy, Thatcherite party like UKIP, is not going to win anybody back to Labour: it’s only going to validate and solidify the idea some hold that the immigration “problem” has got to the point where nothing else matters as much and, fuck it, decent housing and well-paying jobs and a publicly, strongly funded National Health Service can be put on hold while we painstakingly ensure there aren’t any pesky foreigners mooching off the same shitty, underfunded public services as the rest of us.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

This man is so dangerous, and he's not even taken office yet
China 'seriously concerned' after Trump questions Taiwan policy
President-elect says he sees no reason why the US should continuing abiding by One China policy unless a bargain is reached with Beijing involving trade

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ina-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Help, please - I caught a glimpse of something along the lines of 'Donald Trump says he doesn't need many briefings because, as he says, "I'm smart"'. I was going to go back to read it but now can't find it. Does anyone know where\what it is?

Yes, alright - it was a typo
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 12 Dec, 2016 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

Help, please - I caught a glimpse of something along the lines of 'Donald Trump says he doesn't need many briefings because, as he says, "I'm smart". I was going to go back to read it but now can't find it. Does anyone know where\what it is?
Try this one :)
https://thinkprogress.org/trump-intelli ... .w8q1s24ms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@AngryAsWell

Thanks!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Here’s a thought: let’s devolve the issue of immigration
Zoe Williams

Politicians only offer ill-informed bluster on the subject. How much more fruitful the conversation might be if we let local communities shape their own policies

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ommunities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sadiq Khan standing up for Londoners - I really wish he had stood for leader.

VW 'dieselgate' payout offer outrageously low, says Sadiq Khan
London mayor urges government to take action, saying pledged settlement in emissions cheating scandal is far too low

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... sadiq-khan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sometimes a little lightness is called for

Tiny, Magical Shops For Mice Are Popping Up In Sweden
This is like something from a fairytale.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sto ... 9c3dfc7975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Rachel Humphreys
‏@rachel_hump
You couldn't make it up: Daily Mail's publisher raises concerns about Brexit as "the majority of our newsprint is sourced from the EU"

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*emoticon for ironic laughter needed
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Rachel Humphreys
‏@rachel_hump
You couldn't make it up: Daily Mail's publisher raises concerns about Brexit as "the majority of our newsprint is sourced from the EU"

*emoticon for ironic laughter needed
I hear tell we're currently breathing EU air.
FACT.

Good-afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... gher-rules

UK considers plans to nearly halve international student visas
Home Office looks at slashing numbers from 300,000 to 170,000 under tougher student visa rules
I hate being slashed in half.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote:

Telling voters, as Carwyn Jones has done, that it’s understandable and rational to vote against their own economic interests for a privatisation-happy, Thatcherite party like UKIP, is not going to win anybody back to Labour: it’s only going to validate and solidify the idea some hold that the immigration “problem” has got to the point where nothing else matters as much and, fuck it, decent housing and well-paying jobs and a publicly, strongly funded National Health Service can be put on hold while we painstakingly ensure there aren’t any pesky foreigners mooching off the same shitty, underfunded public services as the rest of us.
Carwyn Jones has some (qualified tbf) admirers on here. Indeed I have said some nice things about him before now, but.....

I would be interested to know what they think about his "accents" comment in particular, which IMO was appallingly crass.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:

Carwyn Jones has some (qualified tbf) admirers on here. Indeed I have said some nice things about him before now, but.....

I would be interested to know what they think about his "accents" comment in particular, which IMO was appallingly crass.
What comment was that AK? I don't remember reading about that :)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote:

Yep, we had Andy Burnham disappointing and now Carwyn Jones. Carwyn Jones is a particular disappointment to me because previously he was doing a good job of defending the benefits of remaining in the single market. Ed Miliband has redeemed himself slightly, though and Clive Lewis has some more useful things to say but generally its' looking quite bleak. I'm just waiting for Labour to finally wake up to the fact that chasing Brexit voters is pointless when there is a party in government already giving them everything they think they want. If those voters ever work out that restricting immigration isn't going to solve anything, they'll be looking to switch to a party that has been offering something different, surely, a party that has been opposing the government, rather than echoing it.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Carwyn speaks in a country where language/ethnicity/accents are already a cause for discontent, not just for Kippers but for a lot of 'progressive' Welsh Nats and members of Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg.
[That's not a typo in Gymraeg but a mutated C]
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
gilsey wrote: It's certainly comprehensive, and very well put.

What comment was that AK? I don't remember reading about that :)
Found it :(
https://leftfootforward.org/2016/12/car ... on-stance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Here’s a thought: let’s devolve the issue of immigration
Zoe Williams

Politicians only offer ill-informed bluster on the subject. How much more fruitful the conversation might be if we let local communities shape their own policies

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ommunities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I would like to propose a thought experiment.

What would happen if immigration was a devolved issue? How many immigrants do you want in your constituency, or county?
...f you could run your county as a country, what would your borders look like? How would that affect your local economy,
your civic institutions, the future of your communities? Of course it is hypothetical, but it would foster understanding,
between one interest and another, one region and another.

At the moment, we’re dealing in half-truths, untruths and mistrust; in this dusk of unspoken resentments..."
I'd slight misgivings but Williams did away with those. The specific regional examples given provoke discussion, they're not blueprints.
It'd really puncture holes in propaganda if regular people sat around a table and thrashed out community planning based upon facts.
"...ndividual employers might be forced to confront the impact of low wages, rather than statisticians breezily pronouncing
that wages might be stagnant, but that isn’t immigration’s fault. Regions wouldn’t need to be gleefully informed by the liberal
commentariat that they were only worried about foreigners because they didn’t know any: they could do their own maths and
reach their own conclusions."
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 68766.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit Britain’s drive for a new World Trade Organisation settlement could be blocked by countries with which the UK has territorial disputes such as Argentina or Spain, experts warned today.

The UK will need unanimous agreement from all the WTO’s 160-odd members for its new “schedule” to set baselines for future trade deals.
The clock's ticking....
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks for the mice shops link AAW.
How wonderful that people take time to create little pieces of magic.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Molly Scott Cato MEP ‏@MollyMEP 48m48 minutes ago
We must not give up trying to #StopHinkley, which is why I welcome new legal action by @greenpeace_nrg http://mollymep.org.uk/2016/12/12/new-h ... al-action/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:Thanks for the mice shops link AAW.
My thoughts exactly, when I saw it :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 68766.html
Brexit Britain’s drive for a new World Trade Organisation settlement could be blocked by countries with which the UK has territorial disputes such as Argentina or Spain, experts warned today.

The UK will need unanimous agreement from all the WTO’s 160-odd members for its new “schedule” to set baselines for future trade deals.
The clock's ticking....
160? Is that all?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:
Willow904 wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 68766.html

The clock's ticking....
160? Is that all?
Of course that would only be if we fail to strike a deal with the 27 EU countries.......
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The problem (as I understand it - might be wrong) with WTO trading is not we have to deal with 160 other countries (plus the 27 EU ones) but that we have to make a new deal for each and every item/produce/product we want to sell. Then we have to work out what "our" quota for that product was under the EU umbrella, agree if we can still have that amount with WTO counties, and then what tariff will apply. Some products may have two tier tariff where the first xxxkg/amount is on one tariff and anything over that goes under another. Producers here will then have to work out who pays what tariff in cases where there are more than one producer looking to export the same goods.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The new Argentine government are trying to be pro business and mucking about in the WTO isn't really consistent with that. More likely an "eccentric" holds uplease the UK joining the WTO.n

Labour at the moment mix of Kippers and vain fools who want to hand out subsidies and feel important. In Burnham''s case, both.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

May's "honeymoon" coming to an end?
Tim WalkerVerified account
‏@ThatTimWalker
The Times cartoonist on deadly form today

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AngryAsWell wrote:
yahyah wrote:Thanks for the mice shops link AAW.
My thoughts exactly, when I saw it :)

In Sweden, where penniless artists can sponge off the state instead of working for the man.
One of the numerous upsides to our own social security system in days of yore.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Guardian sticking the shocking news that HS2 Ltd have produced some education material high up on the front page. Really.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Guardian sticking the shocking news that HS2 Ltd have produced some education material high up on the front page. Really.
When you read it it's not particularly good though is it?

“It aims to educate and inform children, young adults, and their families about HS2 and the employment and training opportunities it will create and support, prioritising schools closest to the line of route, stations and depots, with a focus on schools that are in more deprived areas and score below average for educational attainment.”

A bit like Trumps "I like uneducated people"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rail-route" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I know we differ on HS2 Tubby and I'm not looking for an argument :) )
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

It's all optional. Teacher can supplement as they wish. Or bin.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://policy-practice.oxfam.org.uk/our ... y/taxation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In 2015, the wealthiest 62 people on the planet owned as much as the poorest half of humanity and 1% now have more wealth than the rest of the world combined. One of the key activities underlying this extreme inequality is a systematic abuse of the global tax system.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:It's all optional. Teacher can supplement as they wish. Or bin.
It's something like Coke and MickeyDs producing educational material to teach about nutrition in the US, or big oil companies producing teaching materials about the environment. On the other hand we have quite a few diversity/green/kind of lefty projects coming in to school to run projects - there's one here today. They're right, of course, but still... [/knowing]
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:It's all optional. Teacher can supplement as they wish. Or bin.
Kind of. Heads, governing bodies (whatever they might be called for the different flavours of school around now) or even department leads can make these decisions - classroom teachers often have to do what they're told.
I still believe in a town called Hope
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Forest Hill 'stabbing': Attacker shouted 'I want to kill a Muslim' while chasing passengers
Police say they are not treating the attack as terrorism-related

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 70016.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why? If this was a Muslim man knife waving the whole area would be on lock down.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Reece Lingard ‏@ReeceLingard 53s54 seconds ago
Reece Lingard Retweeted Metro
Annoyed at the lack of serial killers views on Brexit? Metro has you covered:

MetroVerified account
‏@MetroUK
Moors murderer Ian Brady says Brexit judges ‘must not block the people’s vote’

Edit to add link, the comments are worth a quick glance
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Mon 12 Dec, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:Carwyn speaks in a country where language/ethnicity/accents are already a cause for discontent, not just for Kippers but for a lot of 'progressive' Welsh Nats and members of Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg.
[That's not a typo in Gymraeg but a mutated C]
I am aware of that of course, but pandering to the latter types is no better. It was undoubtedly disappointing from him.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

adam wrote:
Kind of. Heads, governing bodies (whatever they might be called for the different flavours of school around now) or even department leads can make these decisions - classroom teachers often have to do what they're told.
There speaks a teacher. Apologies.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:Reece Lingard ‏@ReeceLingard 53s54 seconds ago
Reece Lingard Retweeted Metro
Annoyed at the lack of serial killers views on Brexit? Metro has you covered:

MetroVerified account
‏@MetroUK
Moors murderer Ian Brady says Brexit judges ‘must not block the people’s vote’

Edit to add link, the comments are worth a quick glance

Intelligent man, Mr Brady. I used to answer letters from prisoners in Prison Service HQ. One day had a literate, well argued letter which stood out from the rest. It was from Mr Brady and I did a bit of a start when I realised. A higher up took that one off me pretty sharpish.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I read in a magazine yesterday that a successful crime writer who lives in Brighton has donated two cars to the local police force. He has his name on them as advertising.

I found this, from 2008 when he gave the first car.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/2326683. ... me_writer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will try a pic, it may be too big
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

adam wrote:
It's something like Coke and MickeyDs producing educational material to teach about nutrition in the US, or big oil companies producing teaching materials about the environment. On the other hand we have quite a few diversity/green/kind of lefty projects coming in to school to run projects - there's one here today. They're right, of course, but still... [/knowing]
I wouldn't say a train line isnt much like junk food. If nothing else, it provides lots of well paid work.