Tuesday 13th December 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 13th December 2016

Post by PorFavor »

@RogerOThornhill

Glad that you've joined us now that you've stopped pretending to be a liitle bus.

I'm sure we've all done it at some time or another . . .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some of us have never stopped....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Still got four hours of my shift left,hope I am working hard,hard to tell from this distance.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, has fended off calls for government intervention to protect civilians in Syria by arguing that the House of Commons, and by implication Labour, are partly to blame for the plight of the country because of the vote to block military action against Bashar al-Assad in 2013
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... itics-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ummm...surely if we are partly to blame, that strengthens the argument that we should do something to help now?

Not to mention the fact that there is no reason to believe the situation in Syria would be better now if Assad had been removed, certainly if what has happened in Libya since the removal of Gaddafi is anything to go by.

Anyway, Labour didn't exactly block military action against Assad in 2013. They simply asked that action should only be considered after the UN had completed an investigation into the sarin gas attack and many MPs from the government benches agreed with them. It was Cameron who pulled the plug on the idea of intervention altogether, having lost his hasty vote.

That Johnson should so blatantly attempt to score party political points from the death and devastation currently visiting Aleppo is quite depressing. Can he truly only view the world through the prism of potential personal and political advantage? Is there no tragedy big enough that it can fix his attention to addressing it without any thoughts of how he can gain from it?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... anctuaries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Briton swims Antarctic in campaign for three marine sanctuaries
Endurance swimmer Lewis Pugh employs ‘Speedo diplomacy’ to stop overfishing in Antarctic
Excellent.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon all. Been a little bus scurrying around doing things but noticed this.

NHS 'must be more open on preventable patient deaths'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38305033
NHS trusts will start revealing details of preventable deaths as part of shake-up in the way they investigate cases.

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said there needed to be improvements after a report criticised the way the NHS dealt with patient deaths in England.

The Care Quality Commision said current practices were inadequate and often caused more suffering to families.

Mr Hunt said rules would be published next year setting out how cases should be identified and looked into.
and
But Mr Hunt acknowledged there was an "inconsistency" in the way NHS trusts approached the issue of preventable deaths and learning from what had happened was "not prioritised" enough.

He said by publishing data on avoidable deaths from next April, patients and the public would be able to see which hospitals were learning from their mistakes.
but
The report says part of the problem lies in what type of death should be investigated.

Terms like "preventable", "avoidable" and "unexpected" mean different things to different trusts.

Many people who contributed to the review opposed calling a death either unexpected or avoidable as it lacked scientific clarity.

The CQC say improving the standard definition of each word, in discussion with families, should form part of the work to develop a national framework.
Given that this has been a long-running issue, by now you would have expected the Dept of Health and the regulators (not the NHS since it applies to them - you can't allow self-regulation) to come up with standard agreed definitions and procedures.

Publishing bogus stats when no-one can actually agree on what makes a death "avoidable" or "preventable" doesn't help anyone.
Mid Staffs!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mid Staffs!
I hesitated before leaving that out but yes, given that this was a while ago, you'd have thought the definitions would have been sorted by now.

The other point is that if you want more deaths investigated, you need the requisite number of qualified medics around to do it. Which means more money.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:Can he truly only view the world through the prism of potential personal and political advantage?
Yes.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Mid Staffs!
I hesitated before leaving that out but yes, given that this was a while ago, you'd have thought the definitions would have been sorted by now.

The other point is that if you want more deaths investigated, you need the requisite number of qualified medics around to do it. Which means more money.
(cJA bold)

oh, dear me, no
just get someone to do it
for goodness' sake!
such drama
the help is required to be two, three, four, five different places at once
do it all now, now, now, now
good servant
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

different subject entirely
apologies for going off-topic
the information requested won't fit in the square boxes provided
conspicuous absence of instruction allowing for additional pages
I'm distraught
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Can he truly only view the world through the prism of potential personal and political advantage?
Yes.
We deserve better than this.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://derbyshirelabour.co.uk/2016/12/j ... -campaign/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JEREMY CORBYN LAUNCHES COUNTY ELECTION CAMPAIGN

(Derbyshire)-Tories ran it (09-13) as one of the more moderate of them put it a time to stop attending to the "failures"of Society and helped "normal" people.To this end introducing charging for social care,removing help from thousands,creating a new eligibility category to specifically deny,even to the extent of attempting to break previous agreements and charging for maintainance of necessary equipment.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Jim Waterson ‏@jimwaterson 5h5 hours ago
Labour MP Ben Bradshaw tells the House of Commons it is "highly probable" Russia interfered in the UK's EU Referendum.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Arctic temperatures have hit levels last seen a ridiculously long time ago
The word glacial should be redefined to mean 'rapidly diminishing' rather than slow, researchers say, as the pace of change in the Arctic begins to outstrip their ability to understand what's happening

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 72821.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... f-minister" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the-guardian-view-on-southern-rail-the-wrong-kind-of-minister
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Toby Perkins MPVerified account
‏@tobyperkinsmp
I'm at Intl Trade Select Committee, the sound of pennies dropping about reality of WTO Trade terms amongst Tory Brexiteer members deafening.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

What beyond "get a grip" or whatever are the Guardian suggesting Grayling do? I don't understand.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Toby Perkins MPVerified account
‏@tobyperkinsmp
I'm at Intl Trade Select Committee, the sound of pennies dropping about reality of WTO Trade terms amongst Tory Brexiteer members deafening.
Those are the same ones who think food grows in grocery stores and that by ordering material goods online people aren't
making, packaging or delivering the product turning up through the slot in the door. Some people don't think things through.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

A very welcome change of heart

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... -act-syria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good for her.

Compare Corbyn and his condemnation of attacks by "all sides."
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Assad''s always been the main killer in Syria, hasn't he? She is right that stopping Assad could have helped Islamic State and that was my worry. But did it necessarily do that? I think it's hard to know what you're voting for really. You don't get a military plan or anything.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:Jim Waterson ‏@jimwaterson 5h5 hours ago
Labour MP Ben Bradshaw tells the House of Commons it is "highly probable" Russia interfered in the UK's EU Referendum.
I think he needs to back this up sharpish. Q
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Rumours that a few creditors might be moving against Kippers. That might settle a few Labour nerves.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Bipartisan Electors Ask James Clapper: Release Facts on Outside Interference in U.S. Election
Open Letter to Director of National Intelligence James Clapper:

https://extranewsfeed.com/bipartisan-el ... .t6tcsogvg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could Trump seriously not be elected ?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Bipartisan Electors Ask James Clapper: Release Facts on Outside Interference in U.S. Election
Open Letter to Director of National Intelligence James Clapper:

https://extranewsfeed.com/bipartisan-el ... .t6tcsogvg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could Trump seriously not be elected ?
It's possible. It's unprecedented but so is Trump.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Rumours that a few creditors might be moving against Kippers. That might settle a few Labour nerves.
Nigel Farage needs to be implicated, somehow, or his distancing himself from the lowlifes (or whatever he called them) will be his saviour. His timing is interesting.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

A lot of USA election on twitter tonight (most of which I don't understand the implications of)

Detroit’s voting irregularities spur state audit

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/p ... /95358702/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Night night.
Goodnight, PorFavor :rock:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Fake news could affect next UK election, warns Channel 4 executive
Marketing chief Dan Brooke urges UK government to ensure Facebook and Google tackle issue said to have affected US polls
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/ ... -executive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Call me a miserable old get, but I think it's a bit late for "could"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am having track pad issues and you know what?

IT'S MAKING ME SEETHE
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Fake news could affect next UK election, warns Channel 4 executive
Marketing chief Dan Brooke urges UK government to ensure Facebook and Google tackle issue said to have affected US polls
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/ ... -executive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Call me a miserable old get, but I think it's a bit late for "could"
Remind me, was this the same channel that brought us such gems of objectivity as Benefits Street?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 70481.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Philip Hammond challenges Cabinet colleagues to delay completing Brexit because of 'risks to financial stability'
The Chancellor says 'thoughtful politicians' on both sides of the Channel are pushing for an interim trade deal to cushion the impact - in a direct challenge to Cabinet hardliners
If it wasn't catastrophic it'd be farcical.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Distinctly unimpressed Express seems to think being over 50 is old.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

pah
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

whippersnapper
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I started counting down after 40.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Forever young"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:"Forever young"
You will be if you keep that (counting down) up.