Thursday 15th December 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 15th December 2016

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: The last thing Labour needs now is another leadership challenge IMO.

Let's just lay into the Tories.
Jez isn't up to exploiting Brexit. He's doing decent work on bread and butter spending but Brexit dwarfs that. He needs to walk in the longer term.
IMO he's appointed some pretty competent performers to do it for him in Starmer & Thornberry.

Let's just get on with it.
The alternative PM can't get by on delegation. There are such huge calls to make. Something like a second referendum can't be announced by Thornberry or Starmer.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Jez isn't up to exploiting Brexit. He's doing decent work on bread and butter spending but Brexit dwarfs that. He needs to walk in the longer term.
IMO he's appointed some pretty competent performers to do it for him in Starmer & Thornberry.

Let's just get on with it.
The alternative PM can't get by on delegation. There are such huge calls to make. Something like a second referendum can't be announced by Thornberry or Starmer.
Well it can. You may think it should not be.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I mean at least there's a logic to the Kipper stuff about throwing out regulations and all that. What's a "Brexit that works for Britain" really? Can Corbyn really harness eg The City against Brexit?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

What you don't seem to see Tubby is that since the summer fiasco, the more folk talk about challenges to Corbyn the stronger he gets. It's just patently unfair to him and so even people like me who would prefer him replaced end up siding with him.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I mean at least there's a logic to the Kipper stuff about throwing out regulations and all that. What's a "Brexit that works for Britain" really? Can Corbyn really harness eg The City against Brexit?
Can Starmer?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Just clearing out some pdfs from my PC - amazing how much stuff gets downloaded and just sits there cluttering up the hard drive.

And I came across a fairer funding reform document...from 2011.

So there's the DfE patting themselves on the back for finally getting round to doing something about it five years later.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Theresa May is warned that a £50bn 'Brexit bill' will be 'one of the first issues' in the negotiations

The European Commission’s chief negotiator confirms that the UK will have to pay the fee for outstanding liabilities – and it will be near the top of the list
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 6.html?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:What you don't seem to see Tubby is that since the summer fiasco, the more folk talk about challenges to Corbyn the stronger he gets. It's just patently unfair to him and so even people like me who would prefer him replaced end up siding with him.
It''s the lack of interest in getting rid of him on the Tory benches that should worry you.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I mean at least there's a logic to the Kipper stuff about throwing out regulations and all that. What's a "Brexit that works for Britain" really? Can Corbyn really harness eg The City against Brexit?
Can Starmer?
I wouldn't think the public recognize him. He can certainly lead on policy but the leader needs to be the one who lands the big blows at the right time. Oppositions have far fewer politicians who cut through, I reckon.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:What you don't seem to see Tubby is that since the summer fiasco, the more folk talk about challenges to Corbyn the stronger he gets. It's just patently unfair to him and so even people like me who would prefer him replaced end up siding with him.
It''s the lack of interest in getting rid of him on the Tory benches that should worry you.
Tubby of course I worry.

But there is nobody to replace him yet. That you must agree is demonstrable.

I do think he has a talented if relatively inexperienced team around him. Their turn will surely come.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sad to see Corbyn mention the "having to give up work "line to care.Maybe if we stop viewing such things as being seen as less value as paid work or a burden,when many have widely different priorities,and fight for the necessary support to do so,we will get somewhere.Just a thought.They all do it,to be clear.Not a swipe,just disappointment.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Well this should make or break it, depends if temper hold under pressure

Labour plans Jeremy Corbyn relaunch as a leftwing populist
Party leader expected to appear on TV more often as senior figures want to exploit anti-politics mood to beat the Tories

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... g-populist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Hmm...that line about UKIP going to start taking seats from Labour in the North?
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 43s44 seconds ago

Higher Croft (Blackburn) result:
LAB: 58.2% (+12.1)
UKIP: 25.0% (-8.3)
CON: 16.7% (-3.8)
And yes, I know it's only one but I haven't yet seen any sign of UKIP increasing their vote apart from winning a seat from the Tories in the South.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

"But his backers believe his populist credentials, seen in a series of raucous rallies throughout the summer as he fought off the challenge from backbencher Owen Smith, could be one of Labour’s strongest weapons."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the rallies!

Oh my aching sides.

(The point about Ukip etc is about Labour losing even more seats to the Tories because of its leaking vote. Ukip wont win any.)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well.
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 2m2 minutes ago

Liberal Democrat GAIN Blackdown (Taunton Deane) from Conservative.
Not the first and won't be the last I'd say - LibDems are far from dead.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Ukip are a one issue party and with the Tories in government and delivering Brexit, they've outlived their usefulness, surely. A few kippers have already returned to the Tory fold and I wonder if Carswell might be an independent by the time we get to the next election. I have no doubt some people will still be keen to vote for them and some people will still be happy to stand for them, but I doubt many will be willing to donate money to them, now they've got the Brexit they wanted, and without significant funding I can't see how they will be much of a threat. Rather than worry about Ukip or the Libdems, Labour should be worried about the Tories and how they can win votes from them, as I can't see how else they can beat them.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

SH I would advice making an appointment with your GP.My head regularly falls off,but I am now so used to it I can put it back on myself in preparation for the expert psephology.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Why worry about this trivia. Labour has lost 2020 whoever leads it. Let them take the party over the cliff without dissent. Only then will they have no excuse.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30500372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Booze calculator: What's your drinking nationality?

Kuwaiti
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oops.
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 32s32 seconds ago

Liberal Democrat GAIN Chudleigh (Teignbridge) from Conservative.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -say-peers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loss of EU security cooperation could make UK less safe, say peers
Committee says losing access to police and justice databases could harm government’s ability to protect national security
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 7/7702.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear.
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 41s42 seconds ago

Liberal Democrat GAIN Bovey (Teignbridge) from Conservative.

LDEM: 43.9% (+20.3)
CON: 33.1% (-4.2)
IND: 8.9% (-1.5)
LAB: 5.4% (-7.4)
UKIP: 5.1% (+5.1)
IND: 3.6% (+3.6)