Tuesday 20th December 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Tuesday 20th December 2016

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hell.
o.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Re: Tuesday 20th December 2016

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12 ... r-figures/

I don't think £30 million is particularly significant, compared to total NHS costs, but think it represents the recoverable costs (ie. treatment billed for by hospitals).
Confusingly, the article gives a yearly figure of £30 million, but then gives accumulated debt over 4 years for individual hospitals.
I suppose if it was trying to cause trouble it could have highlighted unrecoverable costs instead.
https://fullfact.org/health/health-tour ... -who-pays/
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Fears after government abolishes civil service's child poverty unit
MPs and charities say political focus on reducing level of child poverty in UK has been lost as team is merged into Department for Work and Pensions

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... verty-unit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Good to see some leading Labour figures still challenging the Government in the run up to Christmas.

Angela Rayner MPVerified account
‏@AngelaRayner
Instead of Tory MPs touring the media smearing Trade Unions they should be urging employers to get back to talks and find a resolution

Dan JarvisVerified account
‏@DanJarvisMP
In response to my parliamentary question, the government admit they have abolished the Child Poverty Unit

The second being the same as AAW's post above.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Look at the shocking ignorance in the DWP's response to Jarvis.
A DWP spokeswoman said it was “nonsense” to suggest that the end of the standalone child poverty unit meant the government was not committed to its work.

She said: “We are absolutely committed to tackling poverty and in the new year we will publish a social justice paper outlining our plans for the years ahead.

“Work is the best way out of poverty and there are record levels of low unemployment. By increasing the national living wage and taking millions of people out of paying any income tax, we are ensuring it always pays to be in work.”
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... zero-hours" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

working-homeless-britain-economy-minimum-wage-zero-hours

Britain’s shame: the people who are homeless, even though they’re in work
Aditya Chakrabortty
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinybgoat wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12 ... r-figures/

I don't think £30 million is particularly significant, compared to total NHS costs, but think it represents the recoverable costs (ie. treatment billed for by hospitals).
Confusingly, the article gives a yearly figure of £30 million, but then gives accumulated debt over 4 years for individual hospitals.
I suppose if it was trying to cause trouble it could have highlighted unrecoverable costs instead.
We spend something like £12bn in overseas aid to help foreigners, but resent a mere £30m spent on making ill people better? That the British public swallow this bull designed to create false reasons to dismantle our free at the point of use universal healthcare is so depressing. It's not like these people are all spivs or scammers, they must all be in genuine need of medical care or they wouldn't have received any in the first place and we want to ruin our universal healthcare system for ourselves in order to achieve the ability to do what, exactly? Turn them away if they can't pay? Not even US hospitals do that. I wonder how much money British tourists owe to US hospitals? No doubt US hospitals pursue outstanding bills far more aggressively than UK ones, but if people don't have the money they will simply end up going bankrupt and the hospital still doesn't get its money. Indeed, I believe hospital debt and the money futilely spent on trying to recover it is part of why the cost per capita of US healthcare is so high. We surely save far, far more by not wasting time and money on bureaucracy (or at least did before the internal market and privately outsourced services) than we can gain by knowing someone is liable for payment before we treat them anyway because no civilised country, not even the US, would turn away someone in genuine medical need.

Bloody Tories.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... zero-hours

working-homeless-britain-economy-minimum-wage-zero-hours

Britain’s shame: the people who are homeless, even though they’re in work
Aditya Chakrabortty
This relates to the story I linked to yesterday about a family in Bristol who are facing being made homeless because their landlady is kicking them out to make more in rent from multiple occupancy tenants. It's very clear from the story that our whole system for dealing with homelessness is not geared up to support people in work, with an offer of emergency accommodation in a location that makes retaining a job impossible considered adequate by the council. Back in the 19th century mine owners would build cottages for their workers to live in, charging them rent which was no doubt extortionate but not so extortionate they couldn't actually afford to live there, as that would be pretty stupid. As far as I can tell, as a nation we have become very stupid indeed.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

The child poverty debate will be at 2.30 pm today for anyone interested.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Farage blames Merkel for the German truck attack

Farage also attacked Brendan Cox, the widower of Jo Cox. Nick Ferrari, the presenter, asked Farage about Cox’s Twitter response to what Farage said this morning.

Chris Bryant MP

@RhonddaBryant

The sheer nastiness of Farage sometimes takes my breath away. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
10:03 AM - 20 Dec 2016

27 27 Retweets
33 (Politics Live, Guardian)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Nigel Farage in unbelievable attack on Brendan Cox for backing organisations that "pursue violent and very undemocratic means".
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Snap PF
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Nigel Farage in unbelievable attack on Brendan Cox for backing organisations that "pursue violent and very undemocratic means".
Snap.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

We're very snappy, this morning!
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Willow904 wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12 ... r-figures/

We spend something like £12bn in overseas aid to help foreigners, but resent a mere £30m spent on making ill people better? That the British public swallow this bull designed to create false reasons to dismantle our free at the point of use universal healthcare is so depressing. It's not like these people are all spivs or scammers, they must all be in genuine need of medical care or they wouldn't have received any in the first place and we want to ruin our universal healthcare system for ourselves in order to achieve the ability to do what, exactly? Turn them away if they can't pay? Not even US hospitals do that. I wonder how much money British tourists owe to US hospitals? No doubt US hospitals pursue outstanding bills far more aggressively than UK ones, but if people don't have the money they will simply end up going bankrupt and the hospital still doesn't get its money. Indeed, I believe hospital debt and the money futilely spent on trying to recover it is part of why the cost per capita of US healthcare is so high. We surely save far, far more by not wasting time and money on bureaucracy (or at least did before the internal market and privately outsourced services) than we can gain by knowing someone is liable for payment before we treat them anyway because no civilised country, not even the US, would turn away someone in genuine medical need.

Bloody Tories.
I'd have thought the cost would have more than been made up for from increased revenue due to people visiting our country in the first place.
Presumably the story is timed to distract from NHS problems, but it could equally be spun as a success: The gvt. has apparantly identified £500 million a year as being recoverable, so if £30 million isn't being recovered that(possibly,can't be sure because of the way the figures are given) means a significant amount is. Gits.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Since there's no hope of Nigel Farage shutting up, is it ok if I hate him?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There are times when the Farage "mask" slips. His quasi-fascistic rant on the morning of the referendum result was one occasion, this is another.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

I think he enjoys the notoriety tbh. Not interested in converting others to his cause.

The media need to stop normalising him. Don't ask for his bigoted opinion. The interviewer/booker will have a good idea what NF will say.

Don't allow the terms of discussion to be set by his ilk.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:We're very snappy, this morning!
Yes my kids at that point would say Jinx ;-)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

StephenDolan wrote:I think he enjoys the notoriety tbh. Not interested in converting others to his cause.

The media need to stop normalising him. Don't ask for his bigoted opinion. The interviewer/booker will have a good idea what NF will say.

Don't allow the terms of discussion to be set by his ilk.
The media need to read George Lakoff.

Edit, and the Labour media team.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Hope all are well. Have been busy, some friends moving so saying goodbye to them and making some new ones. Also we're taking over the care of a stray cat, a lovely gentlemanly tabby with a big face and long white socks.

Some good news from Wales is that former Plaid leader Lord Elis-Thomas has said he will support Welsh Labour in government for for their term. He's been critical of Leanne Wood and thinks Plaid didn't deal with the negotiations after the Welsh Assembly election well. Now, hopefully, Welsh Labour won't have any problems with getting what they want through the Senedd.

Now, anyone for a slice of Italian amaretto cake ? Homemade and pretty good.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... d-12345148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link about the Elis-Thomas story.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

There was no great enthusiasm for any FTN Awards this year, which is fine, so I'm going to unilaterally give Richard Littlejohn one for this
Merry Xmas Everybody
Are you stranding the commuters on the line?
Are you striking on the railways all the time?
Do you wave an Aslef banner?
Are you in the RMT?
Do you worship Arthur Scargill just like me?
So here we go, let’s wreck Christmas,
Make sure no one’s having fun,
Look to the miners’ strike,
We’ve only just begun.
Are they waiting for the family to arrive?
Do they need an operation to survive?
Do they have to use the railway,
So they can get to work?
Call it off, you say? Don’t be a berk.
Look to the good old days,
We’ve only just begun.
So here we go, let's wreck Christmas, make sure no one's having fun
So here we go, let's wreck Christmas, make sure no one's having fun
Are you painting Labour slogans on the wall?
Are you hoping that the Government will fall?
If you want a revolution
Let’s start with Southern Rail
Look to the Eighties, now,
We’ve only just begun.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Be warned there are five more where that came from!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@PaulfromYorkshire

Thanks. I think.

Anyway - I thought everyone was anxious to revisit the "good old days"? (Hence "Brexit".)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Hope Not Hate suggests it is considering suing Farage over his 'outrageous' accusation

Turning back to Nigel Farage for a moment, Hope Not Hate has issued a response. It said in a statement:

We are aware of a serious and potentially libellous statement made about Hope Not Hate by Nigel Farage on LBC radio this morning.

We have no idea on what Mr Farage bases his outrageous comments. Hope Not Hate has a proud history of campaigning against extremism and hatred.

We will not be making any further comment until we have had the opportunity to consult with our lawyers.

From AS blog https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... e#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Turning back to Nigel Farage for a moment, Hope Not Hate has issued a response. It said in a statement:

We are aware of a serious and potentially libellous statement made about Hope Not Hate by Nigel Farage on LBC radio this morning.

We have no idea on what Mr Farage bases his outrageous comments. Hope Not Hate has a proud history of campaigning against extremism and hatred.

We will not be making any further comment until we have had the opportunity to consult with our lawyers. (Politics Live, Guardian)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Snap! - :lol: :lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@AngryAsWell

Snap.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Becoming a bit of a habit, this :)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Crowd funding will do the job.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Becoming a bit of a habit, this :)
I was just about to say that - perhaps I'll not bother now!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Andrew Sparrow is playing a game of "Sturgeon Says" over at the Guardian.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Surely other political parties are going to condemn Nigel Farage? No?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

They may have decided that ignoring him is "better" (not sure if it is, though)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:Surely other political parties are going to condemn Nigel Farage? No?
Blimey, haven't Sturgeon or Farron?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Willow904

US emergency rooms (ERs) aren't obliged to do anything more than 'stabilise' an injured or ill person without funds or documented medical insurance
prior to putting them outside their doors. Therefore, treatment varies. I'm not blaming US medical personnel or any one person for this. US ERs are
often crowded, chaotic and staffed by over-worked personnel, especially in urban areas, where most people live.

US healthcare provision isn't adequate, cost-effective or based upon sound public safety policy. People can wander US streets giving
others their virus ultimately causing a pandemic because they've not been properly observed or treated for their symptoms earlier.

The NHS is a successful, decades-old, universal healthcare provision system costing far less than other nations' good healthcare provision systems.

There's a lot of money to be made in healthcare, housing, transport, energy and communications. Some powerful people want to gain more than enough
leaving others with not enough. I don't get this. I love being part of an effective, functional team making sure everyone in the room is more or less satisfied
getting their needs met. I'm not unusual, I've worked with others wanting the same.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Farage no longer being leader means that he has to come out with some outrageous statement to get himself heard - he's afraid that he'll simply slide into obscurity soon.

I notice others are pitching into this too - anyone describing themselves as a 'libertarian' seems to be a code that says 'Actually I am a complete dick'.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Surely other political parties are going to condemn Nigel Farage? No?
Blimey, haven't Sturgeon or Farron?
Not so far that I've been able to detect (and I've scoured the Guardian's "Sturgeon Says" supplement).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Also, when it comes to Twitter bios "classical liberal" is one of the surest indicators of an unfeeling sociopath :twisted:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:We spend something like £12bn in overseas aid to help foreigners, but resent a mere £30m spent on making ill people better? That the British public swallow this bull designed to create false reasons to dismantle our free at the point of use universal healthcare is so depressing. It's not like these people are all spivs or scammers, they must all be in genuine need of medical care or they wouldn't have received any in the first place and we want to ruin our universal healthcare system for ourselves in order to achieve the ability to do what, exactly? Turn them away if they can't pay? Not even US hospitals do that. I wonder how much money British tourists owe to US hospitals? No doubt US hospitals pursue outstanding bills far more aggressively than UK ones, but if people don't have the money they will simply end up going bankrupt and the hospital still doesn't get its money. Indeed, I believe hospital debt and the money futilely spent on trying to recover it is part of why the cost per capita of US healthcare is so high. We surely save far, far more by not wasting time and money on bureaucracy (or at least did before the internal market and privately outsourced services) than we can gain by knowing someone is liable for payment before we treat them anyway because no civilised country, not even the US, would turn away someone in genuine medical need.

Bloody Tories.
(cJA edit)

Brilliant, this.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Morning.

Hope all are well. Have been busy, some friends moving so saying goodbye to them and making some new ones. Also we're taking over the care of a stray cat, a lovely gentlemanly tabby with a big face and long white socks.

Some good news from Wales is that former Plaid leader Lord Elis-Thomas has said he will support Welsh Labour in government for for their term. He's been critical of Leanne Wood and thinks Plaid didn't deal with the negotiations after the Welsh Assembly election well. Now, hopefully, Welsh Labour won't have any problems with getting what they want through the Senedd.

Now, anyone for a slice of Italian amaretto cake ? Homemade and pretty good.
Yes, please!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I suspect Nigel Farage is trying to curry favour with Donald Trump.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ed Miliband ‏@Ed_Miliband 38m38 minutes ago
Granted urgent question by the Speaker at 1230pm on Murdoch bid for Sky.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Eat your words Garage

The Independent ‏@Independent 42s42 seconds ago
German media reports that police have 'the wrong man' following Berlin attack http://ind.pn/2hDtW5G" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Be warned there are five more where that came from!
He's written five of them?
All the good things he counts on being available for him are only there because we agree to work together sharing fairly.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Aditya Chakrabortty on the shocking fact that large numbers of working people are homeless

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

John 'Goldfinger' Palmer was 'unlawfully killed'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-38377329
Notorious criminal John "Goldfinger" Palmer was shot six times in a "contract-style" killing, an inquest has heard.

The 65-year-old was found dead in the garden of his gated home in South Weald in June 2015.

Although Essex Police originally thought he died of natural causes, it emerged he had been shot six times.
:lol:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.