Wednesday 4th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Wednesday 4th January 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning

Tony Atkinson is the economist who had the measure of inequality

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/the-econo ... tl3if.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Wednesday 4th January 2017

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

The Guardian are still going after him, hard. Register of interests missing entries and taking a loan from YouGov (always worth a reminder of its origins) are today's prize morsels imho.

Tory MP Nadhim Zahawi 'closely linked to two tax-haven-based companies'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -gibraltar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

After hearing Jonathan Powell laughing at IDS on Today about the fallout of Ivan Rogers's resignation...
Jon Williams ‏@WilliamsJon 18h18 hours ago

One senior UK official told me FCO's most experienced European officials frozen out of #Brexit, viewed as "tainted" @Number10gov & @DexEUgov
:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I found this rather worrying after what happened to my brother-in-law (a private ambulance failed to take him to hospital, despite clear indications he was suffering from a severe head injury, delaying his treatment for several crucial days and thus extending his recovery period by an unknowable amount):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38398244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In February last year, Gary Page, 54, died at home in Laindon, Essex, hours after being seen by a PAS crew working for the East of England Ambulance Service.
He had had a heart attack but was told he had a pulled muscle or indigestion.
A coroner at his inquest in September said he had been the victim of serious failings.
Why are ambulance drivers making medical decisions they are in no way qualified to make? Surely only a fully trained paramedic should be allowed to take a medical decision that a hospital visit is not necessary. I'm also concerned that a private ambulance car was thought adequate by the person who took the 999 call in my brother-in-law's case in the first place. He had collapsed subsequent to a fall from a bicycle in which he had been knocked out. I find it unfathomable that a car would be deemed suitable to transfer a patient who was unconscious at the time the 999 call was made.

I fear our ambulance services are far less safe than they were and many of the positive advancements made since the 70s are in rapid reverse.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

BBC Politics ‏@BBCPolitics 4m4 minutes ago

Iain Duncan Smith says the government's objective in Brexit negotiations is to leave.
:lol:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
BBC Politics ‏@BBCPolitics 4m4 minutes ago

Iain Duncan Smith says the government's objective in Brexit negotiations is to leave.
:lol:

I suspect it's more a case of shout your demands at Johnny foreigner then sit with your fingers in your ears, whistling land of hope and glory.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

IDS, from AS blog.
The word ‘truth’ is quite an interesting word. I would say actually the word should have been ‘opinion’ because I’ve had many times in the department where I have had civil servants sit in front of me telling me adamantly that things can or cannot be done and you look at that and you argue back and debate about it and think about it and then you come back and say there are different ways to do things, and I don’t agree with that and I’m going to do this.
That would be when you told the civil servants you wanted to do Universal Credit.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G live blog:
Duncan Smith also claimed that this EU uncertainty meant that questions about what the UK wanted were currently irrelevant.

What we want and what we decide we might want is also irrelevant until we know what the other side actually wants and what they are saying.

He claimed that he did know what the government’s Brexit plan was. Asked what the government’s objective was, he replied:
Yes, it’s very simple, we are leaving the European Union. We are leaving the rule of European law. We are taking back control of our laws.

He was interrupted by Powell laughing at the simplicity of his answer.
:roll:

Yes, but which laws do you want to change, that you need to "take back control"?

It seems to me that if the government had noble objectives, that were clearly in the interests of the wider voting British public, they wouldn't be so shy about stating them. As it is, we get assurance after assurance that they're not going to change this EU law or that EU law. They love the workers rights, farming subsidies, science investment, environmental protections etc etc. All will be protected, of course they will. So why are we leaving again?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... facilities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'I worry I'll be forgotten on the train': our readers' experiences of accessible facilities
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda to all.

Apologies for not posting so much over the holiday period. Out of the country for a while but periodically lurking.

One quick comment on yesterdays events.

So Ivan Rogers could not be trusted and has been accused of being disloyal.

This from an inveterate liar and the epitome of disloyalty IDS.

Truly a "post truth world" Orwell wasn't so far out was he!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Truth is an interesting word ....what does it mean again?"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Today's effort. I'd be interested to hear from Campbell how much input Prescott had. Compared to say, himself.

Jeremy Corbyn doesn't consult me on strategy decisions, says Watson

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ays-watson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well, you never know, Watson might consider if his own actions might partly explain that??
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Paraphrasing, but gist of trailer for Jeremy Vine's phone-in on radio 2 was:
'Following resignation of Ivan Rogers & comments by his friends/colleagues should we be worried that Government doesn't know what their doing & hasn't got a plan A let alone a plan B'
It's on at 12pm. Though from experience I wouldn't go as far as recommending listening to it, it's good to see the question being raised.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well, you never know, Watson might consider if his own actions might partly explain that??
Pfft, come on AK, don't be reeediculous. Watson's ego must be stroked.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

tinybgoat wrote:Paraphrasing, but gist of trailer for Jeremy Vine's phone-in on radio 2 was:
'Following resignation of Ivan Rogers & comments by his friends/colleagues should we be worried that Government doesn't know what their doing & hasn't got a plan A let alone a plan B'
It's on at 12pm. Though from experience I wouldn't go as far as recommending listening to it, it's good to see the question being raised.
Our first caller, living in his father in laws house, is Ian...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

From AS blog

Leadsom hinted that the government would ensure that British farmers could still hire seasonal workers from the EU after Brexit.
I also know how important seasonal labour from the EU is, to the everyday running of your businesses.

I’ve heard this loud and clear around the country, whether in Herefordshire, Sussex, or Northamptonshire, and I want to pay tribute to the many workers from Europe who contribute so much to our farming industry and rural communities.

Access to labour is very much an important part of our current discussions – and we’re committed to working with you to make sure you have the right people with the right skills.

(This may confuse anyone who thought that one of the main goals of the leave campaign was to cut unskilled immigration from the EU.)

There's going to be a lot of :smack: going on....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... nstitution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How Brexit is breaking the British constitution
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Access to labour?!

Nobody has ever said this is something that could be restricted.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

StephenDolan wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well, you never know, Watson might consider if his own actions might partly explain that??

Bloody Blairite.

He is right in that interview in saying Corbyn will lead Labour in 2020. So, no more challenges.

From a former Blairite perspective there is a certain amount of schadenfreude to find the soft left permanently exiled, but really I feel sorry for him. He looks so uncomfortable at PMQs. Hated by McCluskey and many former supporters. He needs a Burnham style escape pod, but there are only so many of those.

What a miserable job being a Labour MP now is.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The Canary goes after Red Tory Blairite Charlie Brooker.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think we should be clear about one thing - whenever Corbyn goes, Watson has to go as well.

As many on here will know, I did not vote for him as deputy - and feel more justified in that decision with each passing day.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

Bloody Blairite.

He is right in that interview in saying Corbyn will lead Labour in 2020. So, no more challenges.

From a former Blairite perspective there is a certain amount of schadenfreude to find the soft left permanently exiled, but really I feel sorry for him. He looks so uncomfortable at PMQs. Hated by McCluskey and many former supporters. He needs a Burnham style escape pod, but there are only so many of those.

Jez will be booted out by McCluskey and the already hostile GMB, if he doesn't resign. No way this tenable for 3 more years.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think we should be clear about one thing - whenever Corbyn goes, Watson has to go as well.

As many on here will know, I did not vote for him as deputy - and feel more justified in that decision with each passing day.
Agreed.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The Canary goes after Red Tory Blairite Charlie Brooker.

The Canary is brilliantly funny. But they'd love the clicks, so

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/me ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: Pfft, come on AK, don't be reeediculous. Watson's ego must be stroked.

Bloody Blairite.

Jez will be booted out by McCluskey and the already hostile GMB, if he doesn't resign. No way this tenable for 3 more years.
How? The members love him. if he's challenged again they'll all just shout "coup", "betrayal" and win again.

it wasn't "tenable" in ordinary political terms when 80% of the PLP voted no confidence in him and the large bulk of the shadow cabinet quit. It wasn't tenable when you look at the odds and sods who make up the shadow cabinet. But on it goes. What may make it more tenable is that the press have taken to ignoring Labour. It isn't newsworthy any longer.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Jez will be booted out by McCluskey and the already hostile GMB, if he doesn't resign. No way this tenable for 3 more years.
I pencilled in a 2018 departure for Jez just after he was first elected, and see little reason to change that (even if the polls improve, he may well have had enough by then - hence as I said a few days ago a large part of this years political shenanigans are going to be about making a left wing successor possible, or not)

SH disagrees with me (us) - time will tell!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The Canary goes after Red Tory Blairite Charlie Brooker.
Did you watch his roundup? What did you think of the political parts?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Shares in one of the UK's biggest retailers are tanking after it said its profits will get crushed
Shares in retailer Next are crashing on Wednesday morning after the company announced falling pre-Christmas sales, and warned that profits could be as much as 14% lower next financial year, two major signals of trouble ahead for the British high street.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/next-shar ... xit-2017-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Farmers face Brexit 'triple jeopardy' as EU cash is cut off
Farmers will lose money from the Common Agricultural Policy, which makes up 50 to 60% of their income, with no guarantee subsidies will continue from Whitehall

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fa ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

If we're not careful, Sir Ivan Rogers' successor will be suffocated before s\he can take up their post - assuming that Theresa May remains true to form and keeps the appointment close to her chest.

This whole thing is a disaster.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

If we're not careful, Sir Ivan Rogers' successor will be suffocated before s\he can take up their post - assuming that Theresa May remains true to form and keeps the appointment close to her chest.

This whole thing is a disaster.
Newsthump have it about right.

http://newsthump.com/2017/01/04/leave-c ... n-yes-man/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

'China freight train' in first trip to Barking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38497997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AngryAsWell wrote:Farmers face Brexit 'triple jeopardy' as EU cash is cut off
Farmers will lose money from the Common Agricultural Policy, which makes up 50 to 60% of their income, with no guarantee subsidies will continue from Whitehall

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fa ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I predict that the agricultural subsidy regime will continue practically unchanged after 2020. The Queen and the Dukes of wherever will continue to rake in the cash. And, per your previous post, seasonal labour from Europe will be easily available.

I think this would be so even if the Tories lost, because I can't see Labout being interested enough to take it on in the short term.

I read a detailed blog the other day extolling the wonderful opportunities that leaving the EU would bring us, in terms of protecting our countryside and encouraging small farms and businesses. The opportunities will be there but it's not going to happen.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Gary LinekerVerified account
‏@GaryLineker
This is too funny: 'no democracy should tolerate press freedom being in the hands of a vindictive tycoon.' Must be irony.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Gary Lineker on tabloid scorn and football’s ‘staggering’ riches
Over lamb at the Ivy, the game’s Mr Nice Guy talks about putting humanity before politics
Lunch with the FT

https://www.ft.com/content/7e908562-ccf ... c03770f8b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.debbieabrahams.org.uk/2017/g ... -framework" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Debbie Abrahams (not odd,nor sod)
Greater Manchester Spatial Framework

Constituents have recently been in touch with me expressing concerns about the draft version of the Greater Manchester Spatial Framework. I share many of these concerns.....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"We are moving backwards to a time when people are not only frightened of illness, but fearful they will not get the care they need when ill"

Dr.Phil Hammond
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ministers 'failing to defend independence of senior mandarins'
Dave Penman, head of union for top civil servants, speaks out following resignation of Sir Ivan Rogers as UK ambassador to EU
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_tw

Ministers 'failing to defend independence of senior mandarins'
Dave Penman, head of union for top civil servants, speaks out following resignation of Sir Ivan Rogers as UK ambassador to EU
I like the look of Penman. Can someone like him run for leadership of Unite?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://labourlist.org/2017/01/tory-tric ... our-mayor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Tory trickery on funding will not solve the social care crisis writes a London Mayor"

To come:abolition of Attendance Allowance;transfer from housing support in benefit form to interest bearing loan plus administration charge at best for homeowners/+ unavailibility on any earnings)(particularly targeting the long term sick/disabled/pensioners,some who would breach the conditions of their DFG if to move-think death tax/bedroom tax precision missile).To name but two.
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 04 Jan, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Bloody Blairite.

How? The members love him. if he's challenged again they'll all just shout "coup", "betrayal" and win again.

it wasn't "tenable" in ordinary political terms when 80% of the PLP voted no confidence in him and the large bulk of the shadow cabinet quit. It wasn't tenable when you look at the odds and sods who make up the shadow cabinet. But on it goes. What may make it more tenable is that the press have taken to ignoring Labour. It isn't newsworthy any longer.
Agree on the last bit. Clearly, McDonnell and Starmer are way apart on Brexit. That ought to be a much bigger story, but nobody can be bothered. It's as newsworthy as Charles Kennedy and Mark Oaten having a disagreement.

The internal opponents have been much more careful this time, in giving Jez plenty of rope. So the betrayal stuff won't work this time. I think the talk about an early election showed Jez looking for a way out without his fan club being disappointed.

I agree with Anatoly that 2018 still feels about right.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Julia Hartley-Brewer ‏@JuliaHB1 7h7 hours ago

Let's be clear: the UK ambassador to the EU doesn't have to be pro-Brexit but he definitely shouldn't be blatantly ANTI Brexit like Sir Ivan
How was he blatantly anti-Brexit? She can obviously mouth off, but others in government need to be careful. There's a constuctive dismissal case on the cards if they don't.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Julia Hartley-Brewer ‏@JuliaHB1 7h7 hours ago

Let's be clear: the UK ambassador to the EU doesn't have to be pro-Brexit but he definitely shouldn't be blatantly ANTI Brexit like Sir Ivan
How was he blatantly anti-Brexit? She can obviously mouth off, but others in government need to be careful. There's a constuctive dismissal case on the cards if they don't.
Given the previous at the Borders Agency I'm not sure they care.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.leighday.co.uk/Blog/January ... gnity-back" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When will they give me my dignity back?"
Employment and discrimination law specialist Emma Satyamurti discusses the consequences of poor and inconsistent accessibility for disabled people.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I'd forgotten about that.

Looks to me like Brodie Clark's "relaxing of controls" was doing exactly what the Right say they want- ie quicker entry for lower risk people (like them), more concentration on higher risk.

Clark got an out of court settlement. Maybe Rogers would fancy a day in court.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://electoral-reform.org.uk/blog/com ... dd-britain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;’s-democratic-deficit

"Compulsory voter ID will only add to Britain's democratic deficit"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://m.stokesentinel.co.uk/dozens-of- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dozens of disabled people in Stoke-on-Trent being 'unfairly denied benefits

Now Stoke-on-Trent City Council has agreed to carry out a review into the issue to find out how serious the problem is in the area.

Unite Community branch secretary Duncan Walker said: “We've sat in on the assessments and they are just works of fiction. One claimant we've helped had stage four lung cancer, but they were assessed as having no shortness of breath or respiratory problems, with two years until the next review. But some of these people have just months to live.

“In another case, the claimant was asked to pick up a plastic driving licence, and they wrote on her form that she could lift up objects and demonstrated dexterity, but they didn't say what the object was.

“The key thing that changed last year was that Capita no longer consulted the claimants' own GP, even though they're asked to provide their details.

“In one tribunal, the judge stopped it after three minutes because he'd heard enough to overturn the decision."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Posted in error.
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 04 Jan, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

If the Government were in any way organised and had some sort of "Brexit" plan and competent team in place, surely they would be able to put forward at least a couple of names as a possible EU Ambassador replacement. Even if I were an ardent, thinking "Brexiter" (which I'm not), I'd be seriously worried. Who is the EU now meant to be engaging with?