Thursday 12th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 12th January 2017

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:The best the Donald Trump inauguration can do is a Bruce Springsteen tribute band
He couldn't get The E Street Band, but he did land 'The B Street Band'

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 23436.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wouldn't be at all surprised if The Boss tried to stop them playing any of his songs...

Oh - snap(ish).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:The rain here is torrential, and has been so all day - with no sign of it letting up.

Over.
Don't worry David Cameron promised we'd all be safe from flooding in the future.

Strangely 'Here Comes the Rain' has just come on the sound system where I am ;-)

[which is odd because it's snowing here!]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

An evacuation centre in Clacton will receive evacuees [from Jaywick] from 4pm on Thursday and accommodate them until it is safe to return to their homes. (Guardian)
There'll be hordes of them . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:The rain here is torrential, and has been so all day - with no sign of it letting up.

Over.
Don't worry David Cameron promised we'd all be safe from flooding in the future.

Strangely 'Here Comes the Rain' has just come on the sound system where I am ;-)

Do you think that Theresa May "recognises" or "accepts" flooding?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Over.

Do you think that Theresa May "recognises" or "accepts" flooding?
Put her Canute skills to the test.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

It's snowing here now.

Change is as good as a rest.
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
WelshIan wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Of course it does. That wasn't the point. The point is that you don't make different levels of use according to day/time (see a car plant).
What hospital plant and capital are you thinking of here? I'm struggling to come up with any examples - I don't think you're talking about appointments, non-urgent surgery,etc. I can't think of anything else that would fit though.
The components in a car plant don't sleep at night or use public transport to get there. Patients don't "work" shifts, even if the staff do.
Maybe Nissan's Brexit deal is that they get to run the hospitals in Sunderland? :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Raining again.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

WelshIan wrote: Maybe Nissan's Brexit deal is that they get to run the hospitals in Sunderland? :)
With Jeremy ?unt in charge, best not to give them ideas! :)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

WelshIan wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
WelshIan wrote: What hospital plant and capital are you thinking of here? I'm struggling to come up with any examples - I don't think you're talking about appointments, non-urgent surgery,etc. I can't think of anything else that would fit though.

The big building with the sign hospital, the rooms inside, and all the stuff like knives that are used.
I still don't understand your answer. What are they supposed to do with that hospital? They are already open 24/7.

I really do not appreciate this sort of condescension to a serious question.
Operating theatres? Equipment?

Clearly we aren't going to be doing standard operationa at 2 am but in commercial terms it makes no sense to have any difference between Sundays and Wednesdays.

You're quite right to be cross and I apologize. Long day.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Evening folks,
Feeling a bit Baltic here, but nee snuur (been out in Northumberland today).
Anyway, this tome looks interesting:
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/news/2017/01/socialmobility/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can't have social mobility without reducing inequality, and most politicians are talking rubbish.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Cyclists don't count as road users, argues transport secretary
Chris Grayling’s response to question in House of Commons draws fire from cycling groups and accusation of ‘astonishing lack of knowledge’ of his brief

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ?CMP=fb_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see. That never occurred to me.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I made a nice sweet potato lentil barley stew. Please help yourselves, keep warm.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Cyclists don't count as road users, argues transport secretary
Chris Grayling’s response to question in House of Commons draws fire from cycling groups and accusation of ‘astonishing lack of knowledge’ of his brief

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ?CMP=fb_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see. That never occurred to me.
He's the clown who knocked a cyclist off their bike by opening his 'ministerial' ride door into their path.
Grayling took off while the cyclist still down though he did manage a 'sorry didn't see you' prior leaving the scene.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Mine was easier-quiche.It must be cold,I've put the gas fire,always a sign of extreme(relatively) weather.I'll be warmer but come out in a rash caused by such extravagence.
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 12 Jan, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

What a pillock,and I should know.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... on-tuesday" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

theresa-may-to-deliver-long-awaited-brexit-speech-on-tuesday
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

May’s spokesperson said: “She will be making a speech on Tuesday, setting out more on our approach to Brexit, as part of preparing for the negotiations, and in line with our approach of global Britain and continuing to be an outward-looking nation.”
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I trust Theresa May's "Brexit" speech on Tuesday will be rather more to the point than was her "shared" (or should that be "shard" - seems more apposite as she seems intent upon breaking everything that is good) society effort.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@PaulfromYorkshire

Spooky!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

We could organise a Brexit speech bingo :twisted:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:We could organise a Brexit speech bingo :twisted:

Twenty two - red, white and blue!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

In answer to a question earlier about what time was her speech I answered..
RogerOThornhill ‏@ROTSchools 4h4 hours ago

@rafaelbehr 10am to 10:01.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Brexit means... Brexit! Thank you very much"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

SpinningHugo wrote:
WelshIan wrote:
I still don't understand your answer. What are they supposed to do with that hospital? They are already open 24/7.

I really do not appreciate this sort of condescension to a serious question.
Operating theatres? Equipment?

Clearly we aren't going to be doing standard operationa at 2 am but in commercial terms it makes no sense to have any difference between Sundays and Wednesdays.

You're quite right to be cross and I apologize. Long day.
Thanks for the apology, Hugo.

So you're basically talking about Cameron's 7-day NHS plan? That's likely going to cost more money, not save anything. NHS England did some research into costing this back in 2013, based on the experience of 8 Trusts: https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/u ... -7-day.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The conclusions:
Costs of implementing seven day services, and current service levels, vary within these eight providers and may vary even more across the whole English NHS. Current services are at different levels. That suggests a local rather than a standard national approach to implementation is required.
• The range of costs for implementing seven day services at most providers, excluding London, is broadly 5% to 6% of relevant expenditure (i.e. the cost of emergency admissions excluding maternity) or up to 2% of total patient care income. In our view, caution should be used when attempting to use this information to construct a potential cost for the whole of the English NHS because of the relatively small sample size, the differences in London and the potential differences in nonfoundation trusts.
• It appears that the additional costs would be lower in London trusts than elsewhere, because of investments already made. Costs would tend to be higher in smaller district general hospitals. The practical problems of implementation, and recruitment, also tend to be worse at smaller trusts.
• There is evidence that seven day services at the front-end of the hospital can pay for themselves at some trusts, by reducing admissions and length of stay. But usual PBR rules have to be flexed locally to enable providers to share the financial benefit from reducing admissions.
• Seven day services for a hospital as a whole are unlikely to be cost-neutral (except at some London trusts) under the present configuration of services. It is fair to conclude from this small study that the move to seven day services does appear achievable, but it may be too expensive and unsustainable for all existing hospitals to move all their current range of services to a seven day basis.
• Costs could be reduced if current payments for working unsocial hours were reduced.
• In general PBR has not helped with creating seven day services and a set national tariff would not be a good tool to incentivise them. Emergency seven day services may be better paid for as a fixed ‘payment for capacity’, with adjustments for activity levels. The hard task is to find a fair and defensible way to set that payment level in a semi-commercial environment.
• In the trusts examined, any move to seven day services was led by the trusts not their commissioners. NHS England would need to take action to incentivise commissioners if it wants to implement seven day services quickly.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Words fail......

Sam LevineVerified account
‏@srl
Marine Le Pen in Trump Tower

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Paul is closer to this than me (clue in his name) but it doesn't sound like a great idea.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -wide-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calls for a pan-Yorkshire region, instead of the Sheffield Region (which has been held up by a high court case).

Cornwall has enhanced devolution already, but Yorkshire looks too disparate to work like that. The Sheffield Region, including "Sheffield facing" bits of Derbyshire, looks better. Maybe lose Derbyshire Dales- is that there to provide Tory votes? Even so, I'm surprised a Tory area would tie itself to a city region. Ones around London have been very reluctant to come under TfL for transport.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Syrian who took Merkel selfie sues Facebook over 'defamatory' posts
High-profile refugee accuses social network of failing to take action against posts falsely linking him to crimes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ?CMP=fb_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:Words fail......

Sam LevineVerified account
‏@srl
Marine Le Pen in Trump Tower

Forget who it was earlier but it was pointed out that this might not be such a great idea since France went for Clinton 81% against Trump 19%...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I stand corrected, Labour have a big NHS campaign day planned for 21st January

JOIN LABOUR'S NHS CAMPAIGN DAY
SATURDAY 21 JANUARY

http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/nhs-campaign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

NHS to recruit hundreds of GPs from Poland, Lithuania and Greece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01 ... g_share_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wall: :smack:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Interesting by-election in Gade Valley (Herts) tonight. Possible Lib Dem gain from Tories?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HyperNormalisation
‏@HNormalisation
Lo-Fi
After hours of listening to Theresa May's compilation LP 'What Does Brexit Mean?', Doris comes to the conclusion it's a broken record.

Worth a follow, has some really good - old- black & white photo's commenting on Brexit. :)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Paul is closer to this than me (clue in his name) but it doesn't sound like a great idea.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -wide-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Calls for a pan-Yorkshire region, instead of the Sheffield Region (which has been held up by a high court case).

Cornwall has enhanced devolution already, but Yorkshire looks too disparate to work like that. The Sheffield Region, including "Sheffield facing" bits of Derbyshire, looks better. Maybe lose Derbyshire Dales- is that there to provide Tory votes? Even so, I'm surprised a Tory area would tie itself to a city region. Ones around London have been very reluctant to come under TfL for transport.
The City Regions already exist - certainly Leeds City Region is pretty successful. I don't live or work in Sheffield, so can't really comment. The question is therefore whether there should be a mayor. My understanding has been that local politicians feel elected councillors have done a decent job thanks very much and why would we want a "populist" type position instead.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It must be very inconvenient to have intoning as one's only conversational style.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Michael Harris ‏@mjrharris 3h3 hours ago
Remember when the biggest problem in the UK was the MILLENNIUM DOME. Remember that? DO YOU?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:Michael Harris ‏@mjrharris 3h3 hours ago
Remember when the biggest problem in the UK was the MILLENNIUM DOME. Remember that? DO YOU?
And for all of the "It's a massive white elephant" talk at the time, it worked out pretty well given what it's used for.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Theresa May doesn't recognise flooding in Jaywick
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:It's snowing here now.

Change is as good as a rest.
I don't accept that it's snow. (BBC have just called to offer me a gig to offer balance on the shipping news)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:May’s spokesperson said: “She will be making a speech on Tuesday, setting out more on our approach to Brexit, as part of preparing for the negotiations, and in line with our approach of global Little Britain and continuing to be an outwardinward-looking island nation.”
Global Britain my arse.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Paul is closer to this than me (clue in his name) but it doesn't sound like a great idea.

The City Regions already exist - certainly Leeds City Region is pretty successful. I don't live or work in Sheffield, so can't really comment. The question is therefore whether there should be a mayor. My understanding has been that local politicians feel elected councillors have done a decent job thanks very much and why would we want a "populist" type position instead.
Yeah,the personality politics you get with mayors is annoying but it's probably been good for London, the last bellend's buses notwithstanding. It's been an evolving thing, with more rail lines being devolved, until Grayling came along. It could be better if the Tory councils round the outside didn't get so silly about how the Mayor isn't accountable to them, and oppose devolving more lines. I mean, how accountable to them really is the DfT?

I'd like more of it in London, provided a more powerful assembly was set up. I can't see how it makes sense to have 32 library services, for example.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

No snow, just a bit of drizzle today.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

..and not to be outdone we have snow here now.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I’m glad well known fact-checker Donald Trump has come out against ‘fake news’
Asked who he thought was responsible for hacking into secret American emails, he answered, 'Russia and China and everybody'. That shows whatever else you can complain about, you can’t fault his grasp of detail
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/don ... 24611.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Because most of his speeches consist of sentences such as, “I have never met with President Putin but he’s a great guy and we hung out when we had the Miss Universe competition. That was a great success with great girls, and this is why if you ever say I met President Putin, I’ll put you in jail because I only ever met him five times. It’s a disgrace that some of our news channels say I’ve met a guy when there’s no evidence I ever met him except when we did a lot of business together with some cracking girls I never saw.”
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It could lead to some mild confusion during his first weeks in office, as the FBI are asked to arrest Russia and China and everybody. But these sorts of problems are to be expected when you’re "draining the swamp" like Trump.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

At one point he repeated several times, “We don’t do good deals anymore”, which shows Trump is so anti-establishment that instead of preparing his speeches in the normal elitist way, he seems to record things he’s shouted in his sleep, then announce them.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HyperNormalisation
‏@HNormalisation
CHECKMATE!
Theresa May (white) opens with the unorthodox Brexit Gambit but fails to notice the slight piece advantage of her opponent.

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sophie BarleyVerified account
‏@SophieBarley
If this front page doesn't make an impact nothing will #NHSCrisis

PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Yeah,the personality politics you get with mayors is annoying but it's probably been good for London, the last bellend's buses notwithstanding. It's been an evolving thing, with more rail lines being devolved, until Grayling came along. It could be better if the Tory councils round the outside didn't get so silly about how the Mayor isn't accountable to them, and oppose devolving more lines. I mean, how accountable to them really is the DfT?

I'd like more of it in London, provided a more powerful assembly was set up. I can't see how it makes sense to have 32 library services, for example.
Whereas Leeds City Region arguably relies on Leeds Council to provide leadership to the whole region. Given about 20% of the region's 4 million live in Leeds itself this probably just about works. The Combined Authority does link up the other areas, but even I don't know how it is constituted and it doesn't feel very democratic, though it is effective.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

If you have time this thread is worth reading, if only to remind us all (not that we need it!) how vital our NHS is.

Xeni Jardin ‏@xeni 14h14 hours ago
Xeni Jardin Retweeted The New York Times
May each one of these men experience the anxiety that I as a cancer patient feel right now, knowing I'll die if care becomes unavailable