Thursday 12th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Thursday 12th January 2017

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

I found this interesting :-

Debate: should we be fighting for a universal basic income in Australia?
Is a universal basic income a solution to Australia’s growing inequality problem, or is it a utopian distraction that ignores suffering today?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 12th January 2017

Post by HindleA »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... e-12440481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New homes for rough sleepers pledge from Metro Mayor candidate

Used to work in the Crypt Night Shelter under the Metropolitan Cathedral and at a hostel for the homeless there.

Forthcoming book "Tales from the Crypt"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Twenty black alerts. Is May about to find out that a week is a long time in politics?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@SD
I didn't see it but apparently there was more or less an advert for Babylon on Newsnight last night
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:@SD
I didn't see it but apparently there was more or less an advert for Babylon on Newsnight last night
Damn, missed it, thanks for the info. Might try catch up.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-38571240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tidal lagoon: £1.3bn Swansea Bay project to be backed
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Labour's problem

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/opin ... p=cur&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(and no, it is not the obvious one)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

This on Trump scandal best I've read

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/ca ... influence/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

StephenDolan wrote:
Damn, missed it, thanks for the info. Might try catch up.
Watched earlier, was pretty blatant.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

If you mean the weird guy who talked too fast, told an implausibly convenient anecdote about his child who had been poorly at the weekend and insisted the reason A&Es were overwhelmed was because people didn't have apps to book out of hours doctor's appointments (because dialling 111 is too complicated, presumably) then I wouldn't exactly call it an advert. More "WTF was that?!"
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I should add that I couldn't take much of the guy and turned off at that point. I assume he was allowed to get a proper plug in later on, but I didn't make it that far.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Dan Poulter on Newsnight talking about the need for more investment in the NHS.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some in complete denial about this but they're the usual "Tories can do no wrong" shouty right winger types anyway.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Yep.
Dr Phil Hammond ‏@drphilhammond 18m18 minutes ago

I'm in favour of more funding for the NHS, but it must be spent on frontline care that's proven to work, not reckless reform & marketization
When you hear some saying that the NHS needs complete reform you kinda wonder whether they've forgotten what happened in the last 6 years...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/s ... e-summary/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Combined Performance Summary

NHS England.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh, this is sad news...

Martin Kettle Verified account
‏@martinkettle

Death this morning of Anthony King, Essex professor, BBC psephologist, prolific writer, husband of Jan, most generous of friends. #tonyking
82 by the look of it so not a bad innings.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Willow904 wrote:
If you mean the weird guy who talked too fast, told an implausibly convenient anecdote about his child who had been poorly at the weekend and insisted the reason A&Es were overwhelmed was because people didn't have apps to book out of hours doctor's appointments (because dialling 111 is too complicated, presumably) then I wouldn't exactly call it an advert. More "WTF was that?!"
When he gives that anecdote involving his own company's app, quotes the subscription fee then I'd consider it advertising.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

In Nov, 88.4% of patients were admitted/transferred/discharged from A&E within 4hrs of arrival, 95% target last hit in July 2015

At end of Nov, 90.5% of patients on waiting list waiting less than 18 weeks, missing 92% target for the 9th month in a row

6,825 patients delayed at 12am on last Thurs of Nov - highest since data collection began in Aug 10, 8th month record in a row broken

There were 193,680 delayed days in Nov 16, compared to 153,155 in Nov 15, an increase of more than a quarter (26.4%) in a year

Thanks to Claire Miller on twitter,who has more.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

End of November reiteration.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Presumably it was the BBC's attempt at balance, they might think they're on a sticky wicket at the moment because of the perfect timing of the Hospital programme.

He was so far from being relevant to the issue Newsnight just looked ridiculous.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Bad innings. Sticky wicket. Not a good day for cricket references :)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

StephenDolan wrote:Bad innings. Sticky wicket. Not a good day for cricket references :)
Can't tell until both sides have batted. :D
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

gilsey wrote:
Presumably it was the BBC's attempt at balance, they might think they're on a sticky wicket at the moment because of the perfect timing of the Hospital programme.

He was so far from being relevant to the issue Newsnight just looked ridiculous.
When the BBC discuss weather induced travel disruption or a natural disaster, how come they don't feature commentators with opposing viewpoints? You know, for balance.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

StephenDolan wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
When he gives that anecdote involving his own company's app, quotes the subscription fee then I'd consider it advertising.
So the garbled rubbish about the app was the plug? I missed him quoting the subscription fee, too busy wondering who the nutter was! It did really stand out as wildly irrelevant as NHS England is citing high levels of genuine demand as the reason behind the crisis, not people who could see a GP turning up at A&E.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

More or less equal? Yesterday’s publication of the latest set of statistics on income inequality by the Office of National Statistics was hailed by many as showing that inequality was continuing to diminish (albeit slowly) as top incomes shrank while lower incomes grew.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for the purposes of illustrating the point, imagine that existing households saw no change in their income between 2014/15 and 2015/16 and that all of the new households had incomes falling within the income range of the second quintile of households in 2014/15. All quintiles must expand by the same amount as they are simply equal fifths of whatever the household population happens to be. When the 2015/16 household population is divided up into quintiles, each of which must contain 90,000 more households than in 2014/15, the income of the bottom quintile would increase because the 90,000 lowest earners in the previous second quintile would be displaced into the bottom quintile, increasing the average income there. At the other end of the scale, 90,000 more households must be allocated to the top quintile but as all of the new households have nowhere near that income, the top quintile can only increase in size by expanding to include households previously in the 4th quintile, thus reducing average top quintile income.
Lies, damned lies and statistics.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Stephen Dorrell enters the fray. Theres a lot of people partial to this playing politics lark I see.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote: not people who could see a GP turning up at A&E.
That was *unt's line, wasn't it. He looked like an idiot too, making that argument.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh, this is sad news...

Martin Kettle Verified account
‏@martinkettle

Death this morning of Anthony King, Essex professor, BBC psephologist, prolific writer, husband of Jan, most generous of friends. #tonyking
82 by the look of it so not a bad innings.
Still remember him on the Beeb's results programme in 1997 - he was on top form 8-)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Willow904 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
Willow904 wrote: If you mean the weird guy who talked too fast, told an implausibly convenient anecdote about his child who had been poorly at the weekend and insisted the reason A&Es were overwhelmed was because people didn't have apps to book out of hours doctor's appointments (because dialling 111 is too complicated, presumably) then I wouldn't exactly call it an advert. More "WTF was that?!"
So the garbled rubbish about the app was the plug? I missed him quoting the subscription fee, too busy wondering who the nutter was! It did really stand out as wildly irrelevant as NHS England is citing high levels of genuine demand as the reason behind the crisis, not people who could see a GP turning up at A&E.
I was told they're making a big play for a slice of 111 and gp money.
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

HindleA wrote:Morning.

I found this interesting :-

Debate: should we be fighting for a universal basic income in Australia?
Is a universal basic income a solution to Australia’s growing inequality problem, or is it a utopian distraction that ignores suffering today?
Link to article:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -australia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finland are starting a 2 year pilot scheme on UBI:
http://theconversation.com/how-finland- ... ment-70955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also a small scale pilot from a private company in the USA, and this article provides some further thoughts from a US perspective:
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/18/elon-mus ... -work.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Apologies for the site, it is very busy with lots of adverts/pictures)

The Green Party have a policy to cap rents which would go some way towards allaying Hugo’s concerns yesterday.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

I'm completely at sea re the "Babylon" conversation. What's it all about, please?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

I'm completely at sea re the "Babylon" conversation. What's it all about, please?
Me too ;-)

But stop me before I babble on.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_Health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Babylon Health
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Stephen asked about them a couple of days ago.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tom Newton Dunn (@tnewtondunn)

Theresa May to reveal her plan for Brexit next week - speech probably on Tuesday, as well as Supreme Court verdicthttps://t.co/F4AUjn9ARU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
January 12, 2017

(Politics Live, Guardian)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... is-johnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK, Greece and Turkey join Cyprus peace talks in Geneva

I lived in JFK Avenue

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/05/ ... rt-cyprus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:Stephen asked about them a couple of days ago.
Indeed I did and thanks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

MSM doing a better job of highlighting the NHS problems than Labour at the moment :(

Sky Views: May weaponising NHS all by herself

http://news.sky.com/story/sky-views-may ... f-10725599" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2017/01/we ... worse-off/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We are more equal (because we are all worse off)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:MSM doing a better job of highlighting the NHS problems than Labour at the moment :(
Erm, really?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Did we mention Jez's spokesman telling Estonia to get lost if Russia attacks it? Far away country, innit.

The Tories aren't even bothering trying to get rid of him. What does that tell you?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Milne is Milne.

That doesn't have to stop one feeling uneasy about the all too obvious enthusiasm of some for war with Russia.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:MSM doing a better job of highlighting the NHS problems than Labour at the moment :(
Erm, really?
Considering the NHS is Labours biggest "trust" factor in the public eye - yes. Corbyn did well yesterday, but they should be out shouting about NHS loudly and clearly everyday.
Or maybe I've missed it.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mum who spent 12 hours in hospital corridor 'saw OAP waiting on trolley DIE in front of her'
"It was disgusting he should die on a trolley in the room in front of everyone - there is no dignity in that and for it to happen in front of everyone was just awful"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mu ... rs-9608076" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Anna Soubry MPVerified account
‏@Anna_Soubry
It appears there will be no parliamentary debates on #SingleMarket #CustomsUnion #FreeMovement before A50 is triggered. This is unacceptable
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Labour are constantly campaigning on the NHS - indeed some Blairite types actually attack them for doing so ("comfort zone" blah blah)

And this is an area where on the ground activism can have as much impact as media appearances.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Milne is Milne.

That doesn't have to stop one feeling uneasy about the all too obvious enthusiasm of some for war with Russia.
Estonians are eager for war with Russia? Ukranians?

Jez wouldn't commit to honouring NATO treaties in the leadership debate.

I hope the Eastern Europeans tell him to stick his "alternative Brexit" summit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RIP Graham Taylor.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Oh Christ.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Once memorably (if rather cruelly) described by Edward Pearce as "the pass back to the goalie in human form". By all accounts a decent bloke, though.