Friday 13th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Friday 13th January 2017

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Morning.
(No doubt Theresa May doesn't accept that though)
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Friday 13th January 2017

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Morning.
She might not accept it's a good morning, things not going so great for the Ice Queen eh?

So, a great night for the Libs gaining two new councillors and regaining control of Three Rivers Council.

But oh dear those who to took Labour’s thumping loss of Sandhill in Sunderland as a chance to have a go at Corbyn on Twitter, because of course he personally selected the councillor who didn’t show up to a single meeting for 6 months and was therefore automatically disqualified :roll: Of course I’d rather see a stronger Labour party with a leader with wider appeal than Corbyn, but in the bigger picture surely there’s room for optimism in these results.

In an election in pro-Brexit Sunderland, an area likely to be Remain has voted decisively for Remain. Well done to them. And in the Home Counties, the Lib Dems beat the Tories and took control of a council. Well done to those voters too.

So for me the electorate did the right thing again in these by-elections and that gives me some hope.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
She might not accept it's a good morning, things not going so great for the Ice Queen eh?

So, a great night for the Libs gaining two new councillors and regaining control of Three Rivers Council.

But oh dear those who to took Labour’s thumping loss of Sandhill in Sunderland as a chance to have a go at Corbyn on Twitter, because of course he personally selected the councillor who didn’t show up to a single meeting for 6 months and was therefore automatically disqualified :roll: Of course I’d rather see a stronger Labour party with a leader with wider appeal than Corbyn, but in the bigger picture surely there’s room for optimism in these results.

In an election in pro-Brexit Sunderland, an area likely to be Remain has voted decisively for Remain. Well done to them. And in the Home Counties, the Lib Dems beat the Tories and took control of a council. Well done to those voters too.

So for me the electorate did the right thing again in these by-elections and that gives me some hope.
You shouldn't read anything into individual results. Look at the trend.

The trend is quite clear.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Morning, saw potential in a comment on jack of Kent's blog:

http://jackofkent.com/2017/01/the-meaning-of-brexit/
Kevin Clarke
3rd January 2017 at 12:50
The political absurdity is astounding. There is no form of Brexit which will satisfy the majority of the 17m. If on the other hand the 16m who chose to Remain would have been fine with nothing being done at all. Ergo the best way to please the largest number of voters is to do nothing.
Makes sense to me. ;)
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Thought people might like to know
there is an interview with Nick Clegg,
on radio Sheffield at 09:00.

(I'd hate to think anyone unknowingly missed it.)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It's too early for intoning.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

That said, looking at the numbers, that Sunderland result is a bit weird even given the disqualification

https://www.ncpolitics.uk/2017/01/what- ... land.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Wow.
Robert Peston Verified account
‏@Peston

.@TristramHuntMP to be director of V&A, I have learned, triggering by election in Stoke-on-Trent Central
What a great job to have.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tristram Hunt quits

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... e-director" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sensible. Most who are able to do so will be looking for an exit route.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It'll be interesting to hear from CitizenJA. Hunt is her MP.

Who can blame him ? A fabulous job, and he'll get a lot less flak and hatred thrown at him.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Director of the V&A or stick with Jeremy Corbyn? Decisions, decisions . . .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Director of the V&A or be a backbench MP under any leader? Decisions, decisions . . .
Fixed that for you ;)

I know what I'd do if that opportunity came along....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Director of the V&A or be a backbench MP under any leader? Decisions, decisions . . .
Fixed that for you ;)

I know what I'd do if that opportunity came along....
Well, there is that, admittedly. It's a dream job (or it would be for me - and presumably for you, too).
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Will Ukip fancy their chances?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Sorry for the lapse in the social niceties. Put it down to excitement (Theresa May on Tuesday).
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

Will Ukip fancy their chances?
Oh yes but I think they will be disappointed.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Interestingly, like Copeland, Stoke on Trent Central is a seat that is due to disappear in the boundary review. I wonder how much of a rat run this will produce over time, and whether this is just an unintended lucky break for the government?

(It's not conspiracy thinking but it is very surprising what proportion of by-elections in the last 10 years or so have been in Labour held seats).
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Snowing here right now. Had some last night but it'd mostly disappeared by this morning at least on the pavements.

I'll let you know later whether it's settling as I'm sure you'll be eager to be kept informed.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@SH

Good to see with their anti-Brexit stance and lovely, cuddly leader the Greens managed a stonking 41 votes in total in the two by-elections :twisted:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

A couple of inches on the ground here but we're not expecting any more.

Good morning.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:@SH

Good to see with their anti-Brexit stance and lovely, cuddly leader the Greens managed a stonking 41 votes in total in the two by-elections :twisted:

I may vote differently at local level myself. Depends on the candidate.

But politics is not a game, like football.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

adam wrote:Interestingly, like Copeland, Stoke on Trent Central is a seat that is due to disappear in the boundary review. I wonder how much of a rat run this will produce over time, and whether this is just an unintended lucky break for the government?

(It's not conspiracy thinking but it is very surprising what proportion of by-elections in the last 10 years or so have been in Labour held seats).
The number of elderly Tories popping their clogs has rapidly diminished. 2010 intake were relatively youngish (and more Kipper than Clarke) if memory serves.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

SpinningHugo wrote:

Football is not a game.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

The voting numbers are pitiful, so it's unwise to read too much into this result.

Full results:

Bryan George Foster - UKIP: 343

Helmut Izaks - Green: 23

Stephen Francis O’Brien - Lib Dem: 824

Gary Edward Waller - Labour: 458

Gavin William Christopher Wilson - Con: 184

Total votes cast: 1,832

Turnout: 23.8%

Oh, and Morning folks.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

The voting numbers are pitiful, so it's unwise to read too much into this result.

Full results:

Bryan George Foster - UKIP: 343

Helmut Izaks - Green: 23

Stephen Francis O’Brien - Lib Dem: 824

Gary Edward Waller - Labour: 458

Gavin William Christopher Wilson - Con: 184

Total votes cast: 1,832

Turnout: 23.8%

Oh, and Morning folks.
Not quite as dramatic when it's votes instead of percentages.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tinybgoat wrote:Morning, saw potential in a comment on jack of Kent's blog:

Kevin Clarke
The political absurdity is astounding. There is no form of Brexit which will satisfy the majority of the 17m. If on the other hand the 16m who chose to Remain would have been fine with nothing being done at all. Ergo the best way to please the largest number of voters is to do nothing.
Makes sense to me. ;)
I like this one, under his current effort.
The value in democracy is not that it elects good governments; it is that it provides a civilised mechanism for removing bad governments (the typical alternative is a coup d’état). The Brexit referendum was an abuse of democracy: it allowed people to express dissatisfaction, in this case with the EU, but failed to offer a viable alternative (the equivalent of a new government).
http://jackofkent.com/2017/01/an-argume ... ification/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I linked this yesterday, for the btl comments which are still being added, they're excellent.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

2015 GE analysis.
In Stoke-on-Trent Central, Labour has shed 14,000 votes since 1997. Would-be Labour leader Tristram Hunt is Britain’s least popular MP: a derisory 19 per cent of constituents voted for him. Stoke-on-Trent Central was the sole seat in Britain where the majority of the electorate did not vote.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... voting-all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Peter Walker ‏@peterwalker99 1m1 minute ago

PM's spokesman confirms she "rubber stamped" Tristram Hunt V&A job. So she seemingly knew he was going before Jeremy Corbyn did.
The V&A is one of those quangos that was going to get put on a bonfire some years back...what happened to that I wonder?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

SpinningHugo wrote:

Clearly it is at present.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

gilsey wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:Morning, saw potential in a comment on jack of Kent's blog:

Kevin Clarke
Makes sense to me. ;)
I like this one, under his current effort.
The value in democracy is not that it elects good governments; it is that it provides a civilised mechanism for removing bad governments (the typical alternative is a coup d’état). The Brexit referendum was an abuse of democracy: it allowed people to express dissatisfaction, in this case with the EU, but failed to offer a viable alternative (the equivalent of a new government).
http://jackofkent.com/2017/01/an-argume ... ification/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I linked this yesterday, for the btl comments which are still being added, they're excellent.
Not with our press it doesn't. There is little that's civilised about the UK after 6 years of the Tories being back in.
Other than that though, very good point.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

'Let's all eat cupcakes': Momentum treasurer's failed bid for unity
Michael Chessum sends email plea in response to founder’s short-notice plan to redraw campaign group’s constitution

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... bour-email" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

EU Flag Mafia
‏@EUflagmafia
@JolyonMaugham Jo hello. You need to see this ukip flyer from Hemel June 2016, pre referendum. It is shocking.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the kind of info people decided how to vote on....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:EU Flag Mafia
‏@EUflagmafia
@JolyonMaugham Jo hello. You need to see this ukip flyer from Hemel June 2016, pre referendum. It is shocking.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the kind of info people decided how to vote on....
That "UK divided into regions" has been doing the rounds (mainly trotted out by the Express and Telegraph every few years) for ages.

From 2006.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1527886 ... rance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the usual suspects start frothing about it...even though they know it's junk.
Eric Pickles, the shadow minister for local government and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, said: "Under the Labour Government, Britain has already been sub-divided into regions as part of John Prescott's empire building, yet worse could be to come.

"A conspiracy of cartographers in Brussels is seeking to break up Britain into regions that cross national boundaries. I fear that there is an agenda to undermine national identities and impose a United States of Europe by stealth. Conservatives will fight these attempts to balkanise Britain."
And people still wonder why Leave won?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Stoke Central saw the lowest turnout anywhere at the last GE - and the only one under 50% IIRC.

Not a huge endorsement of the sitting (and now departed) MP, it has to be said.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ek-january" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NHS crisis: 40% of hospitals issue alert in first week of new year
Official figures show 95% of hospital beds were full from 2-8 January, up 91% on previous week
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

And it may be worth pointing out - not least given speculation here last night - that not even local LibDems are claiming that Sunderland result was mainly about Brexit (or Corbyn)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017 ... s#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Homeless in Britain: ‘I graduated with honours – and ended up on the streets’
After James Beavis told his story of sleeping rough in London for a month to raise money for Crisis, our readers shared their thoughts – and personal experiences – about
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/mo ... onal-care/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More than 40 NHS organisations have ‘policies of concern’ on institutional care
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 13 Jan, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:And it may be worth pointing out - not least given speculation here last night - that not even local LibDems are claiming that Sunderland result was mainly about Brexit (or Corbyn)
No but aren't Labour voters in places like Sunderland supposed to be basically Kippers? Why go for the 4th place Lib Dems?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Not really their sort of areas in not in Brighton or Stroud.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Stoke Central saw the lowest turnout anywhere at the last GE - and the only one under 50% IIRC.

Not a huge endorsement of the sitting (and now departed) MP, it has to be said.
And if UKIP couldn't win the seat then they're hardly likely to this time round either. They're not likely to suddenly find loads of extra supporters now.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:And it may be worth pointing out - not least given speculation here last night - that not even local LibDems are claiming that Sunderland result was mainly about Brexit (or Corbyn)
No but aren't Labour voters in places like Sunderland supposed to be basically Kippers? Why go for the 4th place Lib Dems?
That will be quite insulting to a certain % of people in Sunderland I reckon Tubby

Presumably the Lib Dems ran a good campaign with a decent candidate and won.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/el ... toke-trent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Labour are the favourites,(Stoke on Trent)if there is a threat to them, it won't come from Ukip."
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

This feel like a plausible account of Sandhill (Sunderland)
Despite the ongoing Brexit row Coun O’Brien said the Lib Dems fought the by-election on local issues – sidelining Europe.

Buoyed by a young, enthusiastic team which was roundly praised by members of competing parties, the Lib Dems surprised Labour with an organised and well-manned ground game.

Councillor Paul Watson, Labour leader of Sunderland City Council, said: “We’ve got a very young Lib Dem team in the city and they put the time, effort and hard yards in terms of door-knocking.”

Despite having dozens of people involved in a last ditch push to get voters to the polls on Thursday, Labour slumped.

The by-election was triggered following the departure of Labour councillor Jacqui Gallagher. She automatically forfeited her seat because she failed to attend a single council meeting for six months.

Coun Watson admitted the result was a concern, said: “We need to take note of what the electorate have said.”
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... d-12447033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
That will be quite insulting to a certain % of people in Sunderland I reckon Tubby

I was referring to the obsession with UKIP challenging Labour in places like Sunderland.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Little accumulator on Labour holding both seats.Oppositions don't lose by-elections
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: No but aren't Labour voters in places like Sunderland supposed to be basically Kippers? Why go for the 4th place Lib Dems?

I was referring to the obsession with UKIP challenging Labour in places like Sunderland.
Sorry I missed that! Yes I agree it's reassuring that these voters turned to a party that actually appears to be acting in a democratic way there. Good for them.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This feel like a plausible account of Sandhill (Sunderland)
Despite the ongoing Brexit row Coun O’Brien said the Lib Dems fought the by-election on local issues – sidelining Europe.

Buoyed by a young, enthusiastic team which was roundly praised by members of competing parties, the Lib Dems surprised Labour with an organised and well-manned ground game.

Councillor Paul Watson, Labour leader of Sunderland City Council, said: “We’ve got a very young Lib Dem team in the city and they put the time, effort and hard yards in terms of door-knocking.”

Despite having dozens of people involved in a last ditch push to get voters to the polls on Thursday, Labour slumped.

The by-election was triggered following the departure of Labour councillor Jacqui Gallagher. She automatically forfeited her seat because she failed to attend a single council meeting for six months.

Coun Watson admitted the result was a concern, said: “We need to take note of what the electorate have said.”
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... d-12447033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Labour councillor there wasn't a good advert for the party, nor was Tristram Hunt in Stoke.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/el ... toke-trent

"Labour are the favourites,(Stoke on Trent)if there is a threat to them, it won't come from Ukip."
(One of the unremarked features of the Corbyn era so far is that even though the selected parliamentary candidates have all, thus far, been Corbynsceptics of varying degrees, the talent pool has been exceptionally strong and drawn from outside the usual suspects: Jim McMahon, widely seen locally and nationally as an exemplary council leader, Tracy Brabin a former actress, Rosena Allin-Khan who could almost have been grown in a lab to win Tooting for Labour, while Rachel Holliday, the leader’s office preferred candidate in Copeland, was named as Cumbria’s Woman of the Year in 2015.)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1558073 ... ure-strain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour Press
Today’s figures reveal intense pressure & strain on A&E - Jonathan Ashworth