Friday 27th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Friday 27th January 2017

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Good Morning and where's Refitman?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Friday 27th January 2017

I didn't get to respond to this from Willow from last night
I think you're a bit hung up on the idea of people "blaming" Corbyn, when it's his positions like wanting to leave the single market that some people are unhappy about, not that he's somehow responsible for what has happened up to now.
I don't quite know what to say to this.

Me, "hung up"? ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Anyway, seeing as our great leader has pronounced that "opposites attract", presumably we can expect paeons of praise for Corbyn from Hugo today, while Temulkar will bob by to discuss the virtues of Tony Blair ;-)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Today is Holocaust Memorial Day, a day for everyone to remember the millions of people who were killed, or whose lives have been changed, by the Holocaust.

On this day we also remember the millions of people who were killed or have been affected by Nazi persecution and terrible crimes committed during conflicts in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and Darfur.
Sadly, discrimination persists to this day and we must fight it wherever it exists.

A day to remember how important it is not to spread messages of hate, or to exclude people because things like the colour of their skin or what religious beliefs they have.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Anyway, seeing as our great leader has pronounced that "opposites attract", presumably we can expect paeons of praise for Corbyn from Hugo today, while Temulkar will bob by to discuss the virtues of Tony Blair ;-)

Sure

Labour has structural problems over Europe that no leader could satisfy. Most people, rightly IMO, care more about Leave/Remain than party loyalty. You have to be a bit odd, put politely, to put party loyalty above that.

So Labour either makes a firm choice one way or the other, as say the Tories or Lib Dems have done, or represents nobody. Labour is now backing a Hard Brexit (the stuff about amendments is irrelevant given the undertaking to vote for the original Bill without them
The government doesn't need to compromise.

Any leader would have faced an impossible choice. That wasn't Corbyn's fault. Indeed on freedom of movement, he was initially one of the good guys.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Fri 27 Jan, 2017 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I didn't get to respond to this from Willow from last night
I think you're a bit hung up on the idea of people "blaming" Corbyn, when it's his positions like wanting to leave the single market that some people are unhappy about, not that he's somehow responsible for what has happened up to now.

Me, "hung up"? ;-)
Sorry, the point that others couldn't have achieved any better material outcomes than Corbyn comes up a lot so I kind of snapped, as that's not the problem I have with him, but I accept you may have only made the point the once. Whoops. :oops:
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-watchdog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The committee pointed out that advice from officials to wealthy taxpayers was not recorded. “While calls from most taxpayers to HMRC call centres are recorded routinely, meetings and phone calls with high net-worth individuals are not recorded,” the report says.
How is this even remotely acceptable?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Education, education, education.

Treasury takes back £384m school funding - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38762243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... name#img-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

White House drops its 'h' in misspelling of Theresa May's name
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Rayner response

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1564371 ... ories-have" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Under British law and policy, the UK military and intelligence agencies cannot join operations where someone is being tortured or officers believe there is a risk that it may happen.

From the beeb. How can GCHQ etc assist the US under Trump?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Her speech, containing the above excerpt, has been received well by, among others: Boris Johnson, Lord Ashcroft, Tim Montgomerie, JHB, Ruth Davidson and even Philip Collins and Ian Dunt. I honestly don't get it. It's among the most nauseating things I've read recently, even in the context of current events.

Meanwhile...

NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

NonOxCol wrote:Morning.

Her speech, containing the above excerpt, has been received well by, among others: Boris Johnson, Lord Ashcroft, Tim Montgomerie, JHB, Ruth Davidson and even Philip Collins and Ian Dunt. I honestly don't get it. It's among the most nauseating things I've read recently, even in the context of current events.

Meanwhile...

Oh. I forgot someone, didn't I?

StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Meanwhile...

Make America great again, president Trump! :roll:

Eagerly hitching on to Trump's wagon is dangerous, you never know where you'll end up.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ool-police" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Council admits racially discriminating against two boys with toy gun
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I didn't get to respond to this from Willow from last night

Me, "hung up"? ;-)
In a good kinda way maybe ? :)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... ht-of.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The UK’s 1976 IMF crisis in the light of modern theory

Mainlymacro
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

StephenDolan wrote:Under British law and policy, the UK military and intelligence agencies cannot join operations where someone is being tortured or officers believe there is a risk that it may happen.

From the beeb. How can GCHQ etc assist the US under Trump?
Ed M was on Newsnight last night, fans might like to catch it on iplayer. He was quite forthright with Kirsty Wark.
You should really watch the tosser from the Telegraph first, for context.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Meanwhile...

I read some acclaim for her speech on twitter, and then later saw a clip of her delivering that bit. How far will these people go to praise a tory PM?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

For me its a question of why are some "liberal" journalists still so entranced by May's warm words? The *actions* of her government should be what count.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

R5 has a phone in on Labour at the moment
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I'm sure that will be illuminating and informative :?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I'm sure that will be illuminating and informative :?
It's over now, was not good hearing :(
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AngryAsWell wrote:R5 has a phone in on Labour at the moment
Well, that is the key news issue of the day.... School funding, the NHS, etc etc. Boring. How are you going to get the juices flowing, it's all about Labour. :roll:

There's a reasonable piece by Siddiq btw.

I’ve quit the shadow cabinet over article 50 to follow the true will of my people

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... our-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

A good read from " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding the upcoming by-elections.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I'm sure that will be illuminating and informative :?
It's over now, was not good hearing :(
They managed to make phone ins Labour hate-fests even under Miliband when the party was ahead in the polls.

Just don't listen to them.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

'“I saw your comment, it’s really inspiring, I want to ask, do you have any public opinion guidance management, or online commenting experience?”'

Might be worth trying this out. :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatl ... le/514589/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bmj.com/content/356/bmj.j14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Research
Inter-rater agreement in evaluation of disability: systematic review of reproducibility studies

"Despite their common use and far reaching consequences for workers claiming disabling injury or illness, research on the reliability of medical evaluations of disability for work is limited and indicates high variation in judgments among assessing professionals. Standardising the evaluation process could improve reliability. Development and testing of instruments and structured approaches to improve reliability in evaluation of disability are urgently needed."
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

StephenDolan wrote:
Well, that is the key news issue of the day.... School funding, the NHS, etc etc. Boring. How are you going to get the juices flowing, it's all about Labour. :roll:

I’ve quit the shadow cabinet over article 50 to follow the true will of my people

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... our-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If the will of the people is to be reflected accurately, then the government should vote for triggering article 50 and the opposition should vote against, thus leave wins by a slim majority that mirrors the tiny edge to "leave" in the referendum.

I'm being flippant, of course, but if ignoring the wishes of half the country got us into this mess, how does ignoring the other half get us out of it? Diane Abbott is going around talking as if voting against would be like remain MPs (elites, as she put it) voting against the will of an entire under the thumb ignored nation (Labour voters clearly, obviously no wealthy Tories voted leave). 48% is a lot of "elites" though. Indeed it invalidates the term "elite" entirely. It's not as if voting against will change the outcome, which is a large part of why I think they should. 170 MPs voted against remaining in a reformed EC in 1975 despite a referendum that approved staying in by 67% to 33%. And the Eurosceptics have continued to fight the "will of the people" for the last 40 years. The sky hasn't exactly fallen in and our democracy has remained intact. Corbyn doesn't have a choice that is good for Labour, but I think representing the 48% in parliament would be better for our representative democracy. I feel we need to stand up to the tyranny of the simple majority over the minority, and underline the fact that we are leaving the EU because a majority government campaigned for it and enabled it, not simply because of a snap shot, moment in time opinion poll. This wasn't the will of the people, it was the will of some very determined politicians who courted public opinion to achieve their aims, as is the way of politicians the world over. Fetishizing a one off referendum as some kind of superior, purer kind of democracy than the representative democracy that has served us well enough over the years feels dangerous to me.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1564394 ... a-mays-nhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour Press
“Urgent action required” as Theresa May’s NHS Crisis continues - Jonathan Ashworth
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolic ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Evidence-based policy and policy as ‘translation’: designing a model for policymaking

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/contenton ... 2/art00002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/pi ... assessors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PIP INVESTIGATION: Politicians call for action over ‘widespread dishonesty by assessors’
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... trumocracy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can Raccoons of the Resistance save Science from the Tantrumocracy
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Christ. Trump wasn't winging it when he talked rubbish about VAT. It was from his economic white paper.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/0 ... bles/?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My word
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:

Well if every MP votes according to the will of "their" people (ie constituents) A50 will pass easily anyway.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.scvo.org.uk/blog/shared-acco ... g-tenants/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shared accommodation rate is an assault on vulnerable young tenants

"For want of a nail, the shoe was lost;
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost;
For want of a horse, the battle was lost;
For the failure of battle, the kingdom was lost –
All for the want of a horseshoe nail."
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@willow

Good post. Your point about people like Abbott fetishing a referendum result, that's what worries. It leaves a huge opportunity for the right to exploit it. There may be pressure for other votes so we can let 'the people' speak on other issues. How could Labour argue against a government implementing awful policies if the people 'speak' and say they want them in a referendum vote ?

Abbott use of 'elites' grated with me too. She sounded patronising to voters in the Labour vulnerable areas.

Well done Tulip Siddiq.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Council admits racially discriminating against two boys over Prevent toy gun referral
Education authority agrees to pay damages after school calls police over fears two brothers could be at risk of radicalisation

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ?CMP=fb_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... rine-talks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C of E bishops refuse to change stance on gay marriage
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Homelessness Reduction Bill clears Commons.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:@willow

Good post. Your point about people like Abbott fetishing a referendum result, that's what worries. It leaves a huge opportunity for the right to exploit it. There may be pressure for other votes so we can let 'the people' speak on other issues. How could Labour argue against a government implementing awful policies if the people 'speak' and say they want them in a referendum vote ?

Abbott use of 'elites' grated with me too. She sounded patronising to voters in the Labour vulnerable areas.

Well done Tulip Siddiq.
Yep.

The next obvious referendum is the ECHR. How can they oppose "the people" on that?

I'll take my chance with mustering a dozen Tory rebels.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yeah, get lost with this "elites" stuff for Remainers.

Next time Abbott mentions poverty in Hackney, the Tories should tell her there can't be much, with its 78-22 vote for Remain. Must be crawling with elites, they can fix the poverty with their spare change.

Come to think of it, 46.3% voted to Remain in Rhondda Cwm Taf. I've not yet noticed this colony of elitists when I've been there. Maybe they all live near Owen Smith.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

And I know we're supposed think what a difficult decision it is for the leadership. Maybe it is. Then you think, hmmm, "elites", "populist relaunch".

How difficult?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Yeah, get lost with this "elites" stuff for Remainers.

Next time Abbott mentions poverty in Hackney, the Tories should tell her there can't be much, with its 78-22 vote for Remain. Must be crawling with elites, they can fix the poverty with their spare change.

Come to think of it, 46.3% voted to Remain in Rhondda Cwm Taf. I've not yet noticed this colony of elitists when I've been there. Maybe they all live near Owen Smith.
It's Rhondda Cynon Taff not cwm taf - not sure how well you can claim to know a place if you can't get the name right.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Good luck with that.

And even if you get them, leaving aside the DUP some LibDem and Labour MPs would defy any whip to vote A50 down.

Its a complete non starter in short, and those of us who want to prevent a hard Brexit should start to consider other tactics.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

And no I'm not here to praise Tony Blair.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... thin-weeks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secret files on battle of Orgreave could be published within weeks
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Good luck with that.

And even if you get them, leaving aside the DUP some LibDem and Labour MPs would defy any whip to vote A50 down.

Its a complete non starter in short, and those of us who want to prevent a hard Brexit should start to consider other tactics.
Considering other tactics is beyond most of them. They have learned nothing from brexiit nothing from trump, nothing from corbyn being re-elected. If, god forbid, Le Pen gets elected in France, I hope to they start learning then.As for Theresa May, what is it about tory prie ministeers that they want to appease fascists. She could end up goibg down as chamberlain - or worse mussolini if she is determined to play Italy's usual role in the upcoming apocolypse.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Temulkar wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Good luck with that.

Considering other tactics is beyond most of them. They have learned nothing from brexiit nothing from trump, nothing from corbyn being re-elected. If, god forbid, Le Pen gets elected in France, I hope to they start learning then.As for Theresa May, what is it about tory prie ministeers that they want to appease fascists. She could end up goibg down as chamberlain - or worse mussolini if she is determined to play Italy's usual role in the upcoming apocolypse.
Beyond most voters too.

Brexit is all about emotion, not common sense. Tactics that involve walking through the aye lobby with Tories might be effective at achieving small concessions, but are ineffective at convincing voters you are an alternative to the government.