Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th February 2017

Post by yahyah »

Did the umpire tell the bees to buzz off ?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Temulkar wrote:If you think Jeremy Corbyn is a clown or a total waste of skin, it could be too late for you – you’ve already been brainwashed by a handful of foreign billionaires.

http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/tle-pi ... hed/18/08/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nobody brain washed me. I didn't want him, didn't vote for him, and still don't want him.
He's dragged the Labour party to the pits. I'm clinging on by my finger tips to my membership for one reason and one reason only.
To vote him out after we lose the next election.
It's a perfectly sound article, it's all very true. The frustrating thing is that Ed Miliband already made a much better run at standing up to the press and the corporations and the wealthy elite, the opportunity to change things was there in 2015 but rejected by the public. I don't understand why anyone thinks Corbyn is somehow more honest and decent than Ed and why they think he can succeed where Ed failed, coming from a much lower base and coming across as much less competent in interviews and far less impressive in speeches than Ed. I seriously suspect the wider voting public see him as in the exact same mould as Ed but even less personable and able. I don't dispute the magnitude of the difficulties Labour is up against in the face of an overwhelmingly hostile press, but that reality doesn't change the fact that everytime I heard Ed Miliband speak I was inspired and hopeful and every time I hear Corbyn speak I cringe and shake my head in disbelief. If Corbyn isn't saying the things a confirmed leftie like me wants to hear, when he is speaking direct rather than filtered by the media (such as after the referendum campaign) that is a problem you can't blame on the press. Everyone used to say Ed Miliband was far more impressive than they expected when they heard him give a speech etc or in debates. I'm not convinced this is the case with Corbyn. He tends to confirm rather than defy his press image when speaking directly.
Last edited by Willow904 on Sat 04 Feb, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Checks self,nah still the same.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-net ... d-teaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secret Teacher: My 'outstanding' school felt like a results factory
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Willow904 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Temulkar wrote:If you think Jeremy Corbyn is a clown or a total waste of skin, it could be too late for you – you’ve already been brainwashed by a handful of foreign billionaires.

http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/tle-pi ... hed/18/08/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nobody brain washed me. I didn't want him, didn't vote for him, and still don't want him.
He's dragged the Labour party to the pits. I'm clinging on by my finger tips to my membership for one reason and one reason only.
It's a perfectly sound article, it's all very true. The frustrating thing is that Ed Miliband already made a much better run at standing up to the press and the corporations and the wealthy elite, the opportunity to change things was there in 2015 but rejected by the public. I don't understand why anyone thinks Corbyn is somehow more honest and decent than Ed and why they think he can succeed where Ed failed, coming from a much lower base and coming across as much less competent in interviews and far less impressive in speeches than Ed. I seriously suspect the wider voting public see him as in the exact same mould as Ed but even less personable and able. I don't dispute the magnitude of the difficulties Labour is up against in the face of an overwhelmingly hostile press, but that reality doesn't change the fact that everytime I heard Ed Miliband speak I was inspired and hopeful and every time I hear Corbyn speak I cringe and shake my head in disbelief. If Corbyn isn't saying the things a confirmed leftie like me wants to hear, when he is speaking direct rather than filtered by the media (such as after the referendum campaign) that is a problem you can't blame on the press. Everyone used to say Ed Miliband was far more impressive than they expected when they heard him give a speech etc or in debates. I'm not convinced this is the case with Corbyn. He tends to confirm rather than defy his press image when speaking directly.
There can be another leadership contest this summer. Who do you hope will stand?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tory government are bad news without relief. Tory's 'Brexit' threaten lives, livelihoods and peaceful citizenship. Tory government are failing most people and the UK. I'm unhappy with our Labour party MPs' current work on 'Brexit'. They're not providing coherent messages and aren't adequately opposing abject Tory government failure. My membership in the Labour party will continue because all is not lost. There's still a lot of good in Labour. I can disagree and be unhappy and continue working within Labour for the good of us all. Most of good politics isn't heroic. I've lionised great Labour achievements like council housing and the NHS. As if those were sprung fully formed out of Attlee and Bevan! They weren't. Lots of people created those and continue to create now (or not, it's a Tory government at the moment). Works in progress, all the best of social security provisions, made up of one day following another in solidarity with each other even if you don't like your colleagues much.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Alex AndreouVerified account
‏@sturdyAlex

I thought this was a joke. But it's not. Genuine story in The Sun. The xenophobic angle to... well... bad weather.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alex Andreou ‏@sturdyAlex 5h

- I hate you. I'm leaving the salad club.
- Ok.

(Beat)

- Can I have some salad?
- No.
- GIVE ME SALAD.
- No.
- I'M ENTITLED.
- You're not.

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... mb-threats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jewish community centers in US receive nearly 50 bomb threats in 2017 so far
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... view-books" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neil Gaiman: ‘I like being British. Even when I’m ashamed, I’m fascinated
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -candidate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trump's army secretary nominee Vincent Viola withdraws as candidate
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Just vote Labour where it's realistically possible to return that Labour MP and we'll all work it out. It's sincerely the best advice I can give someone.

Of course, there's Scotland and the SNP. I love Scotland, I understand their relationship with Labour is fraught, perhaps more than in other countries or regions of the UK. Ask yourselves: What is best for the whole? It could well be SNP is better off representing us all. I can't ask someone to do what may be like the sacrifice of their community. I'm still working on this.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

‏@sturdyAlex

I thought this was a joke. But it's not. Genuine story in The Sun. The xenophobic angle to... well... bad weather.

I chortled at this one -
Hannah ‏@hanyaLC1 4h

@ProfMike_M @pyramisec @sturdyAlex This is why I voted Romaine (credit @marcogiannini78)
0 replies . 1 retweet 20 likes
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:
‏@sturdyAlex

I chortled at this one -
Hannah ‏@hanyaLC1 4h

@ProfMike_M @pyramisec @sturdyAlex This is why I voted Romaine (credit @marcogiannini78)
0 replies . 1 retweet 20 likes
It's a great thread - but yes that's very funny - well spotted ;-)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Nobody brain washed me. I didn't want him, didn't vote for him, and still don't want him.
There can be another leadership contest this summer. Who do you hope will stand?
Ed Miliband? :D
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour promises 'Crossrail for the north' to create 850,000 jobs
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... ubs&wpmm=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eric Trump’s business trip to Uruguay cost taxpayers $97,830 in hotel bills
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Corbyn would be wise to read this from you, Willow904. Corbyn doesn't seem pragmatic, he doesn't change when circumstances call for change, he's not practical. I don't understand his strategy. It's not a evil thing, political strategy. He knows that, right? I don't think he does.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Checks self,nah still the same.
You're wonderful.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:There can be another leadership contest this summer. Who do you hope will stand?
Ed Miliband? :D
(cJA edit)

Yes, but it's a lot to ask of him and it may not be wise, I genuinely don't know. I wonder if people regret not returning a Labour government last GE? Anyone know of a study or something reputable?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Ed Miliband? :D
(cJA edit)

Yes, but it's a lot to ask of him and it may not be wise, I genuinely don't know. I wonder if people regret not returning a Labour government last GE? Anyone know of a study or something reputable?
I reckon most people find it very hard to admit they were wrong.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cja I am a cult of one,for which I sincerely apologise.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Hindsight/restricted choices.if it was "right" at the time...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-in-stoke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 62506.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who to believe ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My own eyes and ears and even then it is open to interpretation.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Nobody brain washed me. I didn't want him, didn't vote for him, and still don't want him.
Corbyn would be wise to read this from you, Willow904. Corbyn doesn't seem pragmatic, he doesn't change when circumstances call for change, he's not practical. I don't understand his strategy. It's not a evil thing, political strategy. He knows that, right? I don't think he does.
He is about as good at political strategy as you would expect a man in his mid 60s who has spent his parliamentary career on the fringes of his party never getting any previous experience of leadership roles to be. In other words, not very.

The question is whether things turning out as they have was inevitable, or could at least to some extent have been avoided. At the risk of appearing a "cheery optimist" yet again (thanks SH) I think the latter is true. And JC's opponents bear some responsibility for that not transpiring, as well as the man himself and his acolytes.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Anyone listening to Tunes from the Trash - Recycled Orchestra of Paraguay on R4? Incredible

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088fch9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AngryAsWell@

You mentioned you were thinking of doing an OU course.
Did you know about Yale University's free online courses ?
I've started one on Dante in Translation, wanting to get to grips with The Divine Comedy before I pop my clogs.

You need to click 'department' to get to see the second list of courses.

http://oyc.yale.edu/courses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:AngryAsWell@

You mentioned you were thinking of doing an OU course.
Did you know about Yale University's free online courses ?
I've started one on Dante in Translation, wanting to get to grips with The Divine Comedy before I pop my clogs.

You need to click 'department' to get to see the second list of courses.

http://oyc.yale.edu/courses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks I'll check it out :)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]gUCfDYfLtLA[/youtube]
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

gilsey wrote:I was going to watch some cricket from South Africa on TV, but bees stopped play.
Sticky Wicket?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RobertSnozers wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:He is about as good at political strategy as you would expect a man in his mid 60s who has spent his parliamentary career on the fringes of his party never getting any previous experience of leadership roles to be. In other words, not very.

The question is whether things turning out as they have was inevitable, or could at least to some extent have been avoided. At the risk of appearing a "cheery optimist" yet again (thanks SH) I think the latter is true. And JC's opponents bear some responsibility for that not transpiring, as well as the man himself and his acolytes.
Absolutely. As has Ed Miliband for attempting to reach an accommodation with the previous regime's placement on the NEC and in the party staff rather than rooting them out. Getting elected was not the only thing he failed at. But we are where we are.
(cJA edit)

Yes.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... are_btn_tw

Labour promises 'Crossrail for the north' to create 850,000 jobs
Funny slogans. It's neither an HS line nor a Crossrail. Though I think Osborne started calling it HS3.

I'm very suspicious of this approach where you work back from the presumption that London gets too much money and then say "we'll built X in the North to make it fairer". Different areas have different needs. You can look at eg Liverpool and argue that it's getting too much money for Merseyrail. Where's my upgrade and new trains in Swansea, Peterlee, Camborne etc?

It's an improvement to see specific projects being talked about, but do we want to be promising stuff when nobody's done detailed investment appraisal? We need to get more money into poorer areas, but capital investment might not always be the best way.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ed Miliband ‏@Ed_Miliband 1h1 hour ago

Ed Miliband Retweeted Donald J. Trump
That was the problem with George W. Bush. He appointed so many left-wing judges.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I do miss him... sigh
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

As for Trump today:

He's only dismantling bank regulation, while saying - on camera - "my friends who have nice businesses can't borrow".

The level of people's stupidity is beyond anything I ever imagined was possible.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

It’s Europe’s turn to fill the global power vacuum

https://www.ft.com/content/74903c98-f9e ... 64710891dc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Alberto Gallo
‏@macrocredit
We now have a Divided Kingdom outside of a European Union

Why would Johnson re-tweet this? Is he getting cold feet?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Apprenticeship training for nurses
If it weren't a Tory government idea, I wouldn't be horrified
First year apprenticeship wage £3.40 per hour
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

NonOxCol wrote:As for Trump today:

He's only dismantling bank regulation, while saying - on camera - "my friends who have nice businesses can't borrow".

The level of people's stupidity is beyond anything I ever imagined was possible.
Going to get worse. At least the bank regulations are a general thing. Wait till the crony payouts start.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:Apprenticeship training for nurses
More of this coming with the minimum wage going up to £9.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Macron enjoins uneasy US scientists: 'Move to France'
French presidential candidate calls on those alarmed by Donald Trump’s rhetoric to relocate to the ‘new land of innovation’
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -to-france" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wonder how the British science exodus is doing. Not a question of which foot we should shoot ourselves in; we already shot ourselves in the head.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hello all!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

In other news:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/f ... ght-gotham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LEGO BATMAN: I WANT TO SEE THIS
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sarah O'ConnorVerified account
‏@sarahoconnor_
Brexit hasn't happened yet, but the UK food industry is already starting to feel the effects...

Farms shutting as they can't get workers.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Macron enjoins uneasy US scientists: 'Move to France'
French presidential candidate calls on those alarmed by Donald Trump’s rhetoric to relocate to the ‘new land of innovation’
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -to-france" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wonder how the British science exodus is doing. Not a question of which foot we should shoot ourselves in; we already shot ourselves in the head.
Posted earlier about a professor who's been here 20 year and just been refused permanent residency.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Remain In EU
‏@remain_eu
Britain could slash environmental and safety standards 'a very long way' after Brexit, Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg says http://crwd.fr/2k6Q8Dl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

NonOxCol wrote:As for Trump today:

I posted this yesterday - it might be of interest here (to amplify your post).
Trump orders review that could relax Dodd-Frank bank rules

Mr Trump made it a campaign pledge to repeal and replace the Dodd-Frank act, which also created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).

This US government agency seeks to make sure banks, lenders, and other financial companies treat US consumers fairly.

Dodd-Frank, named after the Congressmen who campaigned for the legislation, was introduced to rein in banks' risky practices by banks and other financial companies. (BBC News website)

Edited - to tidy up
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 04 Feb, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Apprenticeship training for nurses
More of this coming with the minimum wage going up to £9.
Forecast for the year 2020
itty-bitty amounts of money
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I wonder how PaulfromYorkshire's 'bus ride, and tribute band evening went yesterday.

(His name doesn't appear in the credits at the moment - otherwise, I'd ask him. It just popped into my head to wonder about it.)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Hello all!
howdy