Thursday 28th August 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 28th August 2014

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There has been some discussion re the timing of this by-election with regard to the party conferences.

Worth remembering there, then, that the order this year is different to usual - the LibDem gathering would normally be in the week ending 20th September, but the Scottish referendum means it has been moved to after the Tories this time. Which also results in Labour going first, so they need to make the most of it ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

In total there are 38 users online :: 18 registered, 1 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
Waves to our guests, do pop in to say hi :)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... roger-lord

Ooh, getting interesting now...
The thought of watching them knocking lumps out of each other all the way to May is delightful. Since the boundaries changed I don't know that there's any chance of a Labour MP (Harwich was Labour from 1997 to 2005) but if they split the rightwing vote down the middle then maybe, just maybe...
If Lord refuses to go quietly - and why should he? - it should provide a fetching tableaux for Farago to show off his famous political and man management skills. Good to see such a break with the 'old politics' by the new People's Party, thobut.
Sadly for Lord he is their parliamentary candidate, but by-elections will have a separate selection process.

He can force a vote although I imagine UKIP can also bar him from standing.
Release the Guardvarks.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: The thought of watching them knocking lumps out of each other all the way to May is delightful. Since the boundaries changed I don't know that there's any chance of a Labour MP (Harwich was Labour from 1997 to 2005) but if they split the rightwing vote down the middle then maybe, just maybe...
If Lord refuses to go quietly - and why should he? - it should provide a fetching tableaux for Farago to show off his famous political and man management skills. Good to see such a break with the 'old politics' by the new People's Party, thobut.
Sadly for Lord he is their parliamentary candidate, but by-elections will have a separate selection process.

Would he stand as an Independent? Ukip Ukip vs. Indy Ukip?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

refitman wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: If Lord refuses to go quietly - and why should he? - it should provide a fetching tableaux for Farago to show off his famous political and man management skills. Good to see such a break with the 'old politics' by the new People's Party, thobut.

The trick would be to stand for UK Independence Now party.

But he also needs to change his name to Aaron Aardvark.
Release the Guardvarks.
discordantharmony
Backbencher

Post by discordantharmony »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
refitman wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Sadly for Lord he is their parliamentary candidate, but by-elections will have a separate selection process.

The trick would be to stand for UK Independence Now party.

But he also needs to change his name to Aaron Aardvark.

The same Aaron Aardvark of Triple A Auto Repairs? :D :D
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Montgomerie ‏@TimMontgomerie 1h
RT @IndyPolitics Tories fear Carswell’s defection to Ukip may be 1st of many http://ind.pn/1zMjBTf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; < I suspect 2 more may defect by October
Looks like it's going to be a rip roaring conference season ...

Ernst - I think we may be needing a lot of snacks and bevvies - plenty of crisps, beer and the like. Just enjoy - we deserve it (and so do the bloody Tories).
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 3m
Word in Clacton is Con councillors are poised to follow Douglas Carswell and defect to Ukip. Purple is the new Blue
It's too too much all in one day - hand to brow, pained expression - sneaky snigger.

Clacton is really seeing the action.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RT @IndyPolitics Tories fear Carswell’s defection to Ukip may be 1st of many http://ind.pn/1zMjBTf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; < I suspect 2 more may defect by October

Ernst - I think we may be needing a lot of snacks and bevvies - plenty of crisps, beer and the like. Just enjoy - we deserve it (and so do the bloody Tories).
I am not sure this is going to open the floodgates. By resigning Carswell has set the bar very high; other Tory MPs who go will have to fight and win a by-election and as the birth of the SDP shows that isn't easy.

So you are looking for frothing Euro Septic MPs in safe constituencies. They have to be very popular in those constituencies. I would doubt that Nadine would be tempted. Peter Bone would be a possible, but would he really carry enough clout in his constituency (I suspect even his voters think he is a Tory first and a twat second).
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 3m
Word in Clacton is Con councillors are poised to follow Douglas Carswell and defect to Ukip. Purple is the new Blue
It's too too much all in one day - hand to brow, pained expression - sneaky snigger.

Clacton is really seeing the action.
Interesting...right now UKIP have no councillors on Tendring District Council at all.
Conservative (33 members)
Labour (9 members)
Independent (6 members)
Tendring First (6 members)
Holland-on-Sea Residents Group (3 members)
Liberal-Democrat (2 members)
Other (1 member)
http://democracy.tendringdc.gov.uk/akst ... entMembers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There has been some discussion re the timing of this by-election with regard to the party conferences.

Worth remembering there, then, that the order this year is different to usual - the LibDem gathering would normally be in the week ending 20th September, but the Scottish referendum means it has been moved to after the Tories this time. Which also results in Labour going first, so they need to make the most of it ;)
I've seen little (that's not trite) thus far. If they have any brains, they'll ensure that the local candidate gets out there and has emphatic support. No need to stir the pot, the right wing nutters will do the job.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

I am not sure this is going to open the floodgates. By resigning Carswell has set the bar very high; other Tory MPs who go will have to fight and win a by-election and as the birth of the SDP shows that isn't easy.

So you are looking for frothing Euro Septic MPs in safe constituencies. They have to be very popular in those constituencies. I would doubt that Nadine would be tempted. Peter Bone would be a possible, but would he really carry enough clout in his constituency (I suspect even his voters think he is a Tory first and a twat second).
Ha ha... there's probably a handful of those anyway, but let's not forget that there might (nb, might) be a couple more floating about who are simply UKIP centric, don't see a return to parliament after 2015, maybe have (mad) principles, or might pony up another reason for doing so - there's certainly plenty of animus about CMD in the Tory party, at all levels.

Either way, it's delicious. I imagine Ed Miliband cracked open a bottle of Krug tonight to celebrate. Why interfere in a massive family row like that? You'll be hated by all sides. Far better to sit back and watch shell shocked swing voters toddle your way, whilst UKIP get a mild swell in the polls. One thing's for certain, it won't be the Tories that will benefit from this.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Neil Henderson ‏@hendopolis 59m
TIMES: Cameron braced for more UKIP defections #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/HKGguTeDLU
'Cameron braced' conjures up a less than prime ministerial image ...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Neil Henderson ‏@hendopolis 59m
TIMES: Cameron braced for more UKIP defections #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/HKGguTeDLU
'Cameron braced' conjures up a less than prime ministerial image ...

Ooh, that's got to sting.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Stephen Tall ‏@stephentall 8m
Gerald Vernon Jackson selected as Lib Dem PPC in Portsmouth, aiming to succeed suspended/disgraced Mike Hancock http://bit.ly/1q9sIwl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh FFS. Don't they learn anything? I hope they've signed their own election loss warrant with that choice ...

Portsmouth and Pembrokeshire seem to be equally murky and torrid ... perhaps we should be twinned.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Evening.Wail reporting eight Tory MP's in talks with UKIP.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:Evening.Wail reporting eight Tory MP's in talks with UKIP.
8?! Superb :lol: