Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th February 2017

Post by refitman »

Temulkar wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Mind you - I do understand why they left.
No offence, but I post here far more often than any other place, so fuck off with your dropping in. I am a member, one of the earliest as it happens, and I come and go here as I please.
And yet, you mainly seem to drop in here to throw abuse at people, then get in a massive strop when you're called out on it.

We could really do with a little less of the telling people to "fuck off" please.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FFS please do not respond,especially with quotes,please.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote:
I read an article yesterday, the final sentence of which was:
There are only two types of Corbyn supporters left now. Those who don’t care if Labour never wins another election, and Tories
Not hard to disagree with that but the realisation that there are Labour voters who don't care if Labour are ever returned to power, is sobering.
OK, let's be absolutely clear about this, because this point is offensive beyond belief. Many of the people making this point don't just not care about winning elections - they have been actively trying to lose them. The likes of Blair and Mandelson and their supporters undermining Labour a week before two tricky byelections, the people - several of them here - who have declared that they want Labour to lose in 2020 so they can get rid of Corbyn and get the party back to the kind of path they prefer. The people who declare that Brexit is the most important issue and they can't support Labour if it doesn't do what they want it to. The 'Labour Supporters' who have been banging on at anyone who'll listen and many who won't to vote Green just to undermine Labour.

Meanwhile folk from Momentum turned out in numbers for the by elections and pounded the streets to try and win. So don't you dare tell me that Corbyn supporters don't care about winning elections.

I don't think anyone thinks that Corbyn supporters want to lose. I do think many campaigned valiantly for Labour (as I have done in the past, sometimes winning, sometimes not). I don't doubt their good faith, I doubt their judgement.

The problem, and the source of the friction on the board, has its source in the judgement as to the electoral prospects of Labour under Corbyn. My judgement, and I only have one, is that Labour is doomed to an historic defeat under his leadership, and that we have no effective opposition to the government, and haven't since 2015.

I do understand that others with a different view don't like that being expressed. And I undertake to try to refrain from all forms of 'I told you sos'. I don't think I was guilty of that yesterday, and if I was I apologise. That isn't productive and just adds to friction.

But, I don't think an objective observer of the posts by you, Tem, howsilly and me would conclude that it is me who insults others.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Baby polar bear alert:

http://www.dw.com/en/baby-polar-bear-ma ... a-37711148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Is ABSURDLY cute.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:
I don't think anyone thinks that Corbyn supporters want to lose. I do think many campaigned valiantly for Labour (as I have done in the past, sometimes winning, sometimes not). I don't doubt their good faith, I doubt their judgement.
I think this is one of the best thing's you have posted (I don't agree with many of your opinions).

And I do hope that people won't see this as me attacking Corbyn. As I've said before, I didn't vote for him in either election, but I have supported him and I thought that everyone should have backed him, at least in the beginning.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

That's what we need more of.

Pics of animals, something to stimulate oxytocin, the feel good/bonding hormone, not fractious 'I'm right/You are wrong/You are a troll because I don't agree with you'.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Oh look - a (rescued baby red) squirrel!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-39083669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Blair was right. Debate is happening now. In the Lords formally. It's got away from us far too far already. Wait till after Copeland, eh?

How many votes is he supposed to have lost anyway?

The whole 'Blame Blair' thing is utterly bonkers.

I do think you have to give the PLP credit for keeping quiet. Political discipline being shown for once.

Save by Tom Watson, who I think is a bit of a thicko

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... ave-change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is no good calling for change without specifics.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Blair was right. Debate is happening now. In the Lords formally. It's got away from us far too far already. Wait till after Copeland, eh?

How many votes is he supposed to have lost anyway?
I don't find it helpful to simply guess why Labour lost Copeland. Presumably those activists knocking on doors will have been given some clue, but I don't have access to that data. Corbyn does and I expect him to act on it. That's his job. In general the results seem to reflect the national polls and the Tories appear to be popular with leave voters as far as I can tell. Do the results suggest that the EU referendum was more influential than local factors? It's certainly worrying that the local hospital issue in Copeland didn't benefit Labour more, especially given a strong local candidate.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If FTN was a couple going to marital therapy, what would the therapist suggest ?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:That's what we need more of.

Pics of animals, something to stimulate oxytocin, the feel good/bonding hormone, not fractious 'I'm right/You are wrong/You are a troll because I don't agree with you'.
We could all take short break and watch Wales and Scotland knock lumps out of each other.

My dad's Welsh, I'm English. So "Come on Scotland!".
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

This by D Miliband is similarly unhelpful

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -a-mistake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What is needed is specifics on policy (it isn't even hard in some areas: housing is an open goal).

"Labour is too leftwing" or "Corbyn is shit" or "things must change" is juts empty stuff.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I am currently carrying Marius through the sewers of Paris,I'll have to watch later.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I don't agree that the portrayal of all Corbyn supporters was offensive,it was thoroughly despicable.Long term members,through thick and thin,here,continuing to campaign for Labour(of note overwhelmingly of "wrong brother view"),whilst Ganesh 'thick as shit" tributeers, sneer.Reprehensible.

Personally,far,far worse than telling me to "fuck off".Hence,response.

Not a debating point.A statement.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote: You lookin' at me?
With love and affection. :)
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

A lazy Clanger's link-posting presents:
Muhammad Ali's son reportedly detained under Trump's travel ban:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 98841.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Where did you get your name from? Are you Muslim?'
Mr Ali was born in Philadelphia and holds a US passport.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

disgusting
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(by which I mean the treatment of Ali)
(just to be clear)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

HindleA wrote:I don't agree that the portrayal of all Corbyn supporters was offensive,it was thoroughly despicable.Long term members,through thick and thin,here,continuing to campaign for Labour(of note overwhelmingly of "wrong brother view"),whilst Ganesh 'thick as shit" tributeers, sneer.Reprehensible.

Personally,far,far worse than telling me to "fuck off".Hence,response.

Not a debating point.A statement.
I

I do wonder whether for some, support for Labour has become tribal, like support for Spurs or United. Luke Akehurst said expressly that is what it is like for him. I think that is a form of the sunk cost fallacy.

I do not support Labour for much the same reason I have long disliked the Putin apologist Stop the War Coalition. I can't vote for a party led by its former chair.

That is unrelated to whether Labour under Corbyn will be a success.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 98931.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donald Trump's plan to deport illegal immigrants could cost 'half a trillion' dollars
Estimated cost of removing all illegal immigrants does not take account shrinkage to the economy
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
pk1 wrote: Just read and agreed with every word. It's as depressing as hell but the PLP are frozen; they can't make moves against him.

I read an article yesterday, the final sentence of which was:
Not hard to disagree with that but the realisation that there are Labour voters who don't care if Labour are ever returned to power, is sobering.

I see there is no change to the weak lazy shite that is posted on this forum now (apart from Hindle and a few others)

I have never read such complete and utter bollocks in my life....well since I read Tubby's last post that is (so my life must be very short)

Interesting to see you are all floundering with nothing positive to add......some of us are sticking with Labour as we see it as the best hope to stop this march rightwards as promoted by that master of rendition and cowardice D Miliband this morning, supported by the dead hand of Mandelson (he was such a man of integrity wasn't he)

You may also notice that I have not mentioned Corbyn up to now.....is that because I do not really see him as the issue here and that the fundamental problem is with the make up and organisation of the party from top to bottom...a rot that started in the late part of the last Labour Government

Continue with you frothing and ranting folks but I have not seen any indications that those who dominate the board now have anything really to offer the discussion apart from saying they hate Corbyn, hate Labour and support someone else

Corbyn is weakened after Copeland but I have seen no suggestions as to who should replace him.....go on give us a name so we can start a bit of character assassination on them...Own Smith, David Miliband, Angela Eagle.......you are clearly looking for someone who is both for and against Brexit, for and against austerity, for and against immigration and who also has a thick enough skin to put up with the character assassination led by the non-entities in the media (Renoul hahaha, Sam Bourne crap novelist etc)

I will leave you to the Tubby and Hugo show......
The Board is not currently what it was because a load of people left. Hopefully some more will come in time. But as I've mentioned before, the dropping in to tell us off (largely you and Tem) probably doesn't make the board more attractive. I, personally (I can't speak for anyone else here because I don't know them) would really appreciate it if you both a) stop referring to us as if we are an identical group and b) stop talking to us in a way I find it extremely unlikely that you would do face to face (see the rules of posting here).

Thanks!

I am not telling you that you are wrong to be honest...I am just saying that this particular post was symptomatic of some of the lazy rubbish that certain posters (and not all as I said in my post above) continue to post

The post I referred to was actually far more generalistic than anything I posted as was offensive as it was wrong...I have thus designated it as 'shite'

It is the reason I left originally, the consistent ranting about Corbyn with no nuance and consideration for any other possibilities

I did spend a lot of time trying to explain my position but was called a 'cultist' and various other things...suggesting that the poster who did this was either unable to follow an argument or was just totally biased to seeing what they wanted to see

Last time when I was here discussion Brexit - I came back if you remember to help support PfY who was getting a torrid time from some of you folks...and there were some pretty abusive and angry posts. You then went on an irrational rant against me for calling one of Tubby's posts 'incoherent' which to be honest still describes a lot of what he posts, as he doesn't seem to be able to see past Corbyn.

It is a bit much when Hugo is more moderate than 50% of the posters on here - and he likes John Rentoul!

I came back today to reply to that particular post as it was a ridiculous statement and I couldn't let it pass

Labour is in a difficult position, it is there because the party is not happy in its own skin and is looking for some direction. If the party wants to change the leader then put someone up against him and win. If the candidate is good then I will vote for him or her. What matters to me is not the personality of the leader but their policies and direction of travel

I challenged you earlier to come up with another name......I have yet to see one come up

I don't post here any more because I find the atmosphere poor and you cannot get very far without someone bringing up Corbyn and then followed by a whole lot of moaning about him...or if it isn't him then it is Brexit followed by a lot of moaning about Corbyn

This is despite some posters, highlighting interesting links and bringing other subjects to the board...most of which go uncommented on

Don't blame me and Temulkar that this board is less popular and more tetchy than it was - it wan't us that caused PfY from to walk away was it? And the attitude when he went was pretty much 'Good Riddance' from one or two of the more unpleasant individuals on here

TC2 carry on blaming me and Temulkar if you want - speaking for myself I don't really care that much (although I will continue to read as I find some of the comments on here interesting - even if most people on here ignore them)

I will also respond occasionally if there is a post, like today, that I think is ridiculous and should be challenged
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Twitter-based election result predictions about as useful as polling:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 9415002243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
140 characters to victory?: Using Twitter to predict the UK 2015 General Election

Highlights
• We present a genuine forecast of a national election using Twitter data.
• We demonstrate that Twitter is a useful tool for electoral forecasting.
• Our forecast accurately predicts the top three parties in terms of vote share.
• Our findings suggest that Labour supporters were more active on Twitter.
• Geocoding of tweets is needed to accurately forecast outcomes for regional parties.
This paper uses Twitter data to forecast the outcome of the 2015 UK General Election. While a number of empirical studies to date have demonstrated striking levels of accuracy in estimating election results using this new data source, there have been no genuine i.e. pre-election forecasts issued to date. Furthermore there have been widely varying methods and models employed with seemingly little agreement on the core criteria required for an accurate estimate. We attempt to address this deficit with our ‘baseline’ model of prediction that incorporates sentiment analysis and prior party support to generate a true forecast of parliament seat allocation. Our results indicate a hung parliament with Labour holding the majority of seats.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

My comments in blue

The Board is not currently what it was because a load of people left. Hopefully some more will come in time. But as I've mentioned before, the dropping in to tell us off (largely you and Tem) probably doesn't make the board more attractive. I, personally (I can't speak for anyone else here because I don't know them) would really appreciate it if you both a) stop referring to us as if we are an identical group and b) stop talking to us in a way I find it extremely unlikely that you would do face to face (see the rules of posting here).

Thanks!
hsom wrote:I am not telling you that you are wrong to be honest...I am just saying that this particular post was symptomatic of some of the lazy rubbish that certain posters (and not all as I said in my post above) continue to post

The post I referred to was actually far more generalistic than anything I posted as was offensive as it was wrong...I have thus designated it as 'shite'

It is the reason I left originally, the consistent ranting about Corbyn with no nuance and consideration for any other possibilities

I did spend a lot of time trying to explain my position but was called a 'cultist' and various other things...suggesting that the poster who did this was either unable to follow an argument or was just totally biased to seeing what they wanted to see
yes, I'm interested in your views, but am not thrilled with being lumped together into one homogeneous group and shouted out for stuff I've never done, thought or said.

Last time when I was here discussion Brexit - I came back if you remember to help support PfY who was getting a torrid time from some of you folks...and there were some pretty abusive and angry posts. You then went on an irrational rant against me for calling one of Tubby's posts 'incoherent' which to be honest still describes a lot of what he posts, as he doesn't seem to be able to see past Corbyn.

I very much dispute the notion that my intervention was either irrational or a rant

It is a bit much when Hugo is more moderate than 50% of the posters on here - and he likes John Rentoul!
agree wholeheartedly

I came back today to reply to that particular post as it was a ridiculous statement and I couldn't let it pass
great - but why accuse "all" of us when you are dealing with a particular point made by one poster?

Labour is in a difficult position, it is there because the party is not happy in its own skin and is looking for some direction. If the party wants to change the leader then put someone up against him and win. If the candidate is good then I will vote for him or her. What matters to me is not the personality of the leader but their policies and direction of travel
agree completely

I challenged you earlier to come up with another name......I have yet to see one come up
There is indeed very little to choose from. That's a major part of the problem. But I don't recall being responsible for the way that Labour selects its candidates (ie: responsible for the limited names available) if I was and didn't notice that was indeed a major slip up on my part.

I don't post here any more because I find the atmosphere poor and you cannot get very far without someone bringing up Corbyn and then followed by a whole lot of moaning about him...or if it isn't him then it is Brexit followed by a lot of moaning about Corby

This is despite some posters, highlighting interesting links and bringing other subjects to the board...most of which go uncommented on

Don't blame me and Temulkar that this board is less popular and more tetchy than it was - it wan't us that caused PfY from to walk away was it?

In a way yes. Think SDP.
Beyond that, Tem's mode of communication is just not acceptable.

And the attitude when he went was pretty much 'Good Riddance' from one or two of the more unpleasant individuals on here
Paul leaving was indeed a major blow.

TC2 carry on blaming me and Temulkar if you want - speaking for myself I don't really care that much (although I will continue to read as I find some of the comments on here interesting - even if most people on here ignore them)
I'm not blaming you or Temulkar - I'm asking you a) not to tar us all with same brush and b) to communicate in a way which is more constructive. That is all. Neither you nor Tem had anything to do with the split, but the kind of approach and tone you both use doesn't do anything to make the atmosphere any more attractive. I don't mean to be personal, it's just a fact. I really would appreciate not having you accuse me of ranting (I don't) or Tem tell me to "fuck off". Not necessary, and I would be genuinely amazed if he said it to my face.

I will also respond occasionally if there is a post, like today, that I think is ridiculous and should be challenged
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sat 25 Feb, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

yahyah wrote:If FTN was a couple going to marital therapy, what would the therapist suggest ?
i) The Group Marriage, may not be working out well for all involved.
ii) A further course of sessions (kerching).
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

There's a psychologist who's done work on the pathology of this sort of situation.
Some people brew up so much hatred at people they deem unpleasant individuals that they get quite obsessional.
Stalk them on the net and worse.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

HindleA wrote:I am currently carrying Marius through the sewers of Paris,I'll have to watch later.
Watch out for Thenardier...he's hiding down there.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:My comments in blue

Thanks!
hsom wrote:I am not telling you that you are wrong to be honest...I am just saying that this particular post was symptomatic of some of the lazy rubbish that certain posters (and not all as I said in my post above) continue to post

yes, I'm interested in your views, but am not thrilled with being lumped together into one homogeneous group and shouted out for stuff I've never done, thought or said.

I very much dispute the notion that my intervention was either irrational or a rant

agree wholeheartedly

great - but why accuse "all" of us when you are dealing with a particular point made by one poster?

agree completely

There is indeed very little to choose from. That's a major part of the problem. But I don't recall being responsible for the way that Labour selects its candidates (ie: responsible for the limited names available) if I was and didn't notice that was indeed a major slip up on my part.

I don't post here any more because I find the atmosphere poor and you cannot get very far without someone bringing up Corbyn and then followed by a whole lot of moaning about him...or if it isn't him then it is Brexit followed by a lot of moaning about Corby

Don't blame me and Temulkar that this board is less popular and more tetchy than it was - it wan't us that caused PfY from to walk away was it?

In a way yes. Think SDP.
Beyond that, Tem's mode of communication is just not acceptable.

And the attitude when he went was pretty much 'Good Riddance' from one or two of the more unpleasant individuals on here
Paul leaving was indeed a major blow.

I'm not blaming you or Temulkar - I'm asking you a) not to tar us all with same brush and b) to communicate in a way which is more constructive. That is all. Neither you nor Tem had anything to do with the split, but the kind of approach and tone you both use doesn't do anything to make the atmosphere any more attractive. I don't mean to be personal, it's just a fact. I really would appreciate not having you accuse me of ranting (I don't) or Tem tell me to "fuck off". Not necessary, and I would be genuinely amazed if he said it to my face.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

I won't go through each comment......although I will apologise for calling your previous comments an 'irrational rant' but what angered me was that I did not think that my comments to Tubby's nonsense constituted a 'personal attack' as you told me at the time amongst various other things. I, and others, have been subjected to worse but without comment

Tem has his own way of communicating and I do not speak for him but I don't think you can single us out and I would say that we have often responded to other posters

I don't think we claim to be angels in all this - we are both sometimes (overly) aggressive but some other posters seem to have carte blanche to insult without any comment

I have never intended to lump you in to a homogenous group - that would be silly. I do think I said that I was not talking about all the posters on here...this is not a homogeneous board but it is dominated by certain opinions - and some of the most forthright do not seem to have any self-awareness

There are some posters here who are though and their complete and utter focus on Corbyn and Brexit with little interest in other views and manage to self-heat almost to combustion over it

Look not at what I say, or Temulkar, look at PfY and why he went.....his opinions were similar to mine.

I don't want to come back frequently - as I said there are still some interesting posts and links that I follow with interest....I try to ignore anything about Corbyn or Brexit as find the arguments are the same as they were months ago

As to coming up with a name for a replacement for Corbyn......I wasn't referring to you specifically, more that there are some people on here who have made it their mission to get rid of him...but the best they came up with was Owen Smith! If they want to remove him then they need to have a credible opponent, and it should be done democratically. I await their proposals with interest.....

I will just repeat this for your information. I am not a dyed in the wool Corbyn supporter. I support him fighting actively against austerity, taking a sensible approach to Brexit and opposing the Trump/May axis clearly. I would happily see someone who can be more popular to promote those policies but I am less able to accept radical policy changes in order to (or perceive) court popularity. I was happy to support Ed Miliband but he was treated very badly by his own party and was vilified in the press - it is funny that the same people who moaned about that then now are happy to see the same tactics (often by the same people) used against Corbyn

I repeat that I find it worrying when I find Hugo not to be the most extreme poster here!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Some slightly better news -

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... caled-back" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote:Indeed they are a bunch of sneaky bastards.

I remember giving pennies as a kid for the Sunshine Homes, and collecting silver paper in balls for the blind. Took months to do, never anticipated the huge waste of the 21st century, this brave new world....

Too early for good mornings, I am off to get some sleep before daylight is upon us.

(I watched the coverage of Copeland and Stoke, first foray into tv in a long time. Biased as fuck. Get back some unity, forget about differences, otherwise we are stuck with this fuckwittery till the day we die. And combat brexit in the real world if you have to. But please stop giving in to to all this - see HindleA's post above - because all of it means that everyones rights are as cheap as a sly under cover denial of legal judgement by a government hell bent on reducing all of us to as little as they can get away with. )
HEAR! HEAR!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Apologies for the delay in greeting you all. I logged in earlier. Ten thousand other things away from the computer came up and I'm only now getting to read the thread.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:...if you oppose the government you vote for the opposition, that's all there is to it...
(cJA edit)

Correct.
That is all.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I think it is symptomatic of the state of things here when you have one of the more unpleasant posters on here, who has been cited by quite a few as one of the reasons they left to post something suggesting people who happen to disagree are 'stalkers'

No wonder this board has gone downhill and lost so many contributors when this sort of nonsense is allowed to stand without comment

I don't come back to 'stir up hatred' or 'stalk' I just come back to counter some of the stuff that is posted and point out the poor arguments

It is no point discussing politics any more on here - I was burnt last time I did that on here by having the gall to think that Corbyn was pretty much right in his approach to A50.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Great win by Scotland. Wales pretty poor, all told.
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

refitman wrote:Great win by Scotland. Wales pretty poor, all told.
WHAT !

I'm doomed to miss every winning match. ( both parents Scottish )
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

pk1 wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Can I ask about Open Seas? This is not a person I'm familiar with.
In fact can I ask about both Open Seas and Hugo - what exactly is the story here (in whoever would care to answer's view).
I asked Hugo himself (?) the other week, but I am none the wiser really.

I suppose my view is that we can't control other people's behaviour - so if someone is disruptive, is it not because we let them be disruptive? And if so how do we mitigate against it?
They can only disrupt if people respond to their provocation.
Not true. They disrupt the ethos of a place, change the discourse, blocking them is no good because others see their posts, especially potential newcomers. They often seem smugly in control, and a leading light, and won't give up because their aim is the downfall or complete turning of the board. I suggest a three warnings snd out policy, with a chance of a return if flaming/trollery individual desists. Multiple personas are often a hallmark. i have watched better boards than this destroyed in everything but name through inability to grow and a wastage of good members through sheer distaste. The internet is not a democracy, it is a place where people can do and be things that are not acceptable in real life. If you were all in a bar and someone came along and was hugely disruptive you would have the option to take yourself away, collectively, and get away to somewhere more congenial. A quieter part of the pub perhaps. But a forum is a fixed place. It is not about tolerance either, or any of the usual rules of human behaviour, because what has landed on you, for whatever reasons, is a parasite that will eat out your heart. And btw, it is important to remember in all of this that the people who recognise the parasite are not the problem. They simply see what others refuse to recognise. (btw my professional life was in web development with a special interest in online communities) They often become marginalised as the parasite gains ground and becomes tacitly supported.

When I returned here after many months away last year I asked WTF happened here. You guys all know the answer really, but still carry on as if it is all reasonable. But surely you still remember where we started, and what we had in common in spite of us all being individuals.

Not a matter of returning here to snipe tbh, it has been bloody awful seeing a good board that had some relevance and some stimulating and interesting debate reduced to this. I return because I miss what it used to be, and keep hoping. But see many real issues being passed by and sidelined,
things that need to be actively opposed, and this is what I once believed this place was for. An alternative voice, to counter the slide into abject conformity our previous news source and home had become.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@howsillyofme1
As to coming up with a name for a replacement for Corbyn......I wasn't referring to you specifically, more that there are some people on here who have made it their mission to get rid of him...but the best they came up with was Owen Smith!
I really do feel I should point out that no one on this forum "came up with" Owen Smith. Labour MPs "came up with" Owen Smith.

In a choice between Corbyn and Smith I felt Smith better represented my views on the importance of remaining in the single market.

If there is another leadership contest, I will again cast my vote for the candidate I prefer.

I have never made it my mission to "get rid of" Corbyn, because it is not in my power to do so.

Of course, it may not be me that you're accusing of these things, but then that's rather the point I and tinyclanger2 are trying to make - we don't know whether we are "some people" or not, whether the hostility in your posts are aimed at us or not.

If your argument is against the making of sweeping assumptions about (presumed) Corbyn supporters, I fail to see how you improve the situation by adding to it with the same sweeping assumptions about (presumed) non-Corbyn supporters.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

tinyclanger2 wrote:A lazy Clanger's link-posting presents:
Muhammad Ali's son reportedly detained under Trump's travel ban:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 98841.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Where did you get your name from? Are you Muslim?'
Mr Ali was born in Philadelphia and holds a US passport.
And travelling with his mum, who was let through because of a photo with her husband, while her son was detained and interrogated. Mum, distraught as anyone would be.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:I think it is symptomatic of the state of things here when you have one of the more unpleasant posters on here, who has been cited by quite a few as one of the reasons they left to post something suggesting people who happen to disagree are 'stalkers'

No wonder this board has gone downhill and lost so many contributors when this sort of nonsense is allowed to stand without comment

I don't come back to 'stir up hatred' or 'stalk' I just come back to counter some of the stuff that is posted and point out the poor arguments

It is no point discussing politics any more on here - I was burnt last time I did that on here by having the gall to think that Corbyn was pretty much right in his approach to A50.
Again, I don't know who you are talking about. I don't know specifically why you or others left. I must have missed that memo.

I also think that there are quite a few good contributors on here still, who have interesting things to say or link about politics.

We are entitled to different opinions. Your opinion that Corbyn was right in his approach to article 50 is no more valid than my opinion that he did not. If you don't want to hear other opinions, that's up to you, but it doesn't mean other people are wrong in having them.

I miss PaulfromYorkshire because he made good arguments in support of his opinion that helped me see things from another point of view whilst never suggesting I was wrong in holding an alternative opinion. His contributions were always constructive. Your contributions today have been less so than previously.

It was your choice to stop posting here and as I said I'm not really au fait with your reasons for that, all I will say is if you don't put your point of view anymore, you can't expect those still here to consider or debate it as we will naturally focus on what particularly interests us.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:@howsillyofme1
As to coming up with a name for a replacement for Corbyn......I wasn't referring to you specifically, more that there are some people on here who have made it their mission to get rid of him...but the best they came up with was Owen Smith!
I really do feel I should point out that no one on this forum "came up with" Owen Smith. Labour MPs "came up with" Owen Smith.

In a choice between Corbyn and Smith I felt Smith better represented my views on the importance of remaining in the single market.

If there is another leadership contest, I will again cast my vote for the candidate I prefer.

I have never made it my mission to "get rid of" Corbyn, because it is not in my power to do so.

Of course, it may not be me that you're accusing of these things, but then that's rather the point I and tinyclanger2 are trying to make - we don't know whether we are "some people" or not, whether the hostility in your posts are aimed at us or not.

If your argument is against the making of sweeping assumptions about (presumed) Corbyn supporters, I fail to see how you improve the situation by adding to it with the same sweeping assumptions about (presumed) non-Corbyn supporters.

Posts have been hostile on here for many months with and without my intervention....including some of your own when on the subject of Brexit. It seems to be selective offence-taking

I left not because of the hostility though - I can cope with that - it was just the domination of the board by the same old themes day after day after day with no real end in sight

As to the Corbyn question - he is the incumbent so those that oppose him need to come up with an alternative (I was particularly offended by the attempts to get him to resign or keep him off the ballot last summer) that can win the election

In the absence of an alternative is to continue to damage the party, change the rules or force the leader out

There is a question of Corbyn's electability but that is really for the GE to decide. What has seemingly damaged Labour has been the idiotic spectacle of last summer that made the fatal error of not succeeding with an attempted (political) assassination and the Labour establishment seemingly omnipresent in the media criticising the party

I am happy with the general policy direction of Labour in most areas and do not want to see a move back to the stuff that a D Miliband would advocate - there is not that much difference to the Miliband direction to be honest (and who was it who undermined him?)

Brexit also didn't help of course but then some of the problems have been due to the immaturity of the PLP...the Tories have stuck together better because the Remainers in their party have understood that trying to stop A50 was a no-win argument and would not have helped. The big problem was they were then too cowardly too support the sensible amendments that came from the Labour side.

I know you have a pretty solid Remain view and I respect it but personally think you are wrong as you think I am.....what has been the problem on here is that people have been too easily straying into thinking there is a clear right and wrong choice when there isn't. I just think on the balance of probabilities my view is the right one and I haven't seen an argument to persuade me differently.

The idea that the by-elections this week have been held in normal circumstances is completely naive.....think also what happened in Richmond which was not a 'normal' result either. The circumstances at the moment are febrile and having by-elections suspiciously timed by the sitting MP to undermine his/her own party is unusual. Followed up by negative interventions from an ex PM and his right-hand man the weekend before

Opponents of Corbyn have been trying to set up situations to undermine him since he was elected...unfortunately for them he kept out-performing expectations (not spectacularly though I may add) and it was only a matter of time before they managed to get to him. Copeland fell nicely for them.

However, now that they have their desire there seems to be no plan on what to do next, apart from a lot of self-indulgent nonsense from a failed former leadership candidate....and one who has not got a great track record in supporting his party leader and showing loyalty at a difficult time.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Willow904 wrote:@howsillyofme1

I didn't see the post you quoted from, as I use the ignore button, so haven't seen the full context.
But that statement seems quite bizarre as repeated. Did 'some' of the people on FTN use their evil powers to morph into the PLP and summon up Owen Smith?

As to 'some people' making it their mission to get rid of Corbyn...again, rather strange.
More waiting in hope one would have said. How exactly does expressing one's frustration on a small forum [let's face it, FTN is inconsequential in the fuller political sense], how does that translate into a mission ?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... caled-back" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Housing benefit cuts for young people may be scaled back
Cameron-era policy under review after warnings of severe hardship if changes come into force in April
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... caled-back

Cameron-era policy under review after warnings of severe hardship if changes come into force in April
I posted that earlier HA. Let's hope it is scaled back, preferably scaled out of existence completely.
But Theresa May will be happy to play on the 'I'm not Cameron, I really am a compassionate caring type of Tory' and hoover up a few more votes while she's at it.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:I think it is symptomatic of the state of things here when you have one of the more unpleasant posters on here, who has been cited by quite a few as one of the reasons they left to post something suggesting people who happen to disagree are 'stalkers'

Again, I don't know who you are talking about. I don't know specifically why you or others left. I must have missed that memo.

I also think that there are quite a few good contributors on here still, who have interesting things to say or link about politics.

We are entitled to different opinions. Your opinion that Corbyn was right in his approach to article 50 is no more valid than my opinion that he did not. If you don't want to hear other opinions, that's up to you, but it doesn't mean other people are wrong in having them.

I miss PaulfromYorkshire because he made good arguments in support of his opinion that helped me see things from another point of view whilst never suggesting I was wrong in holding an alternative opinion. His contributions were always constructive. Your contributions today have been less so than previously.

It was your choice to stop posting here and as I said I'm not really au fait with your reasons for that, all I will say is if you don't put your point of view anymore, you can't expect those still here to consider or debate it as we will naturally focus on what particularly interests us.

I think you need to go back and read some of the posts on here when discussing Brexit and I think you will find it was those of us who were trying to argue that the A50 position was more nuanced that you made it seem. I have never said I am right about the A50 vote - you should read back and find something that says I am 'right'. Mine and Paul's opinions were very much in the minority and we were battered from all sides, sometimes there was quite a bit of hostility but we can live with that to a certain extent and I never found you to be hostile in any event...although I was definitely not in agreement to you.

And to be provocative I saw very little indication that you were prepared to see things from the other point of view....you may have felt that but I never sensed it.

I also found Paul's contributions constructive...but if it was so great here then why did he feel the need to leave? It wasn't because of me trying to support his arguments....I suggest you go back and read those threads to get a gist of what I mean and his comments on why he left

There are still some interesting posts on here, as I have said, but very few of them lead to much discussion. The boards are still dominated by Corbyn and Brexit. Why that is the case when there is a vile and vicious Tory Party about I do not understand but there you go
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... caled-back

I posted that earlier HA. Let's hope it is scaled back, preferably scaled out of existence completely.
But Theresa May will be happy to play on the 'I'm not Cameron, I really am a compassionate caring type of Tory' and hoover up a few more votes while she's at it.
Yet the £30 a week cut to ESA is still due to start in April, I believe, so not much "compassionate Tory" there. I wonder if there are legal issues with the housing benefit cut. I imagine any laws regarding local council responsibility for housing homeless people would come into direct conflict with such a policy, for instance.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

It may be a small and inconsequential forum but it used to be a good and pleasant place to have a good debate at one time

I can admit to an error in phrasing which allows stupid posts like the one above to be made (and shows the mentality of the poster) but the same poster has ranted on and on about Corbyn for the last year in virtually every post, even though she, thankfully, has left the party......

Most other posts have been attempts to be 'funny'

The main similarity being that all posts are generally devoid of interesting content or argument
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I think the point about what we discuss is important. Personally I think the importance of Brexit cannot be overstated, but I understand that others think differently - so if no-one else wants to discuss it I don't post (as much) on it. On the other hand, we all know that the Tories are vile and vicious, but repeatedly pointing out that they are vile and vicious would be tedious and wouldn't change anything. I would have thought what would be constructive would be to discuss a) what Labour should be assiduously opposing - as eg: Mr H and RoT do on regular occasion and b) how Labour might improve. I think we've been doing that, but Brexit did become a huge focus and then a bunch of people with other interests left. It left a much narrower range of expertise, which I think is a bummer, but there is still quite some range here.

Would be good to have Mr Snozers view, for example, (if I remember correctly) on Labour's communications efforts. I find them wanting and would like to have a discussion on where and how they could be more effective, as this is both critical and would benefit from an expert's eye.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

With respect,as per previous complaints/pointings out re" dominant "themes/topics,and to point out the obvious repeated bemoaning of their "dominance" necessarilly increases it.It reached the stage at one time re."Labour Party "for every initial mention there were three stating they were sick of hearing about it.Hardly anybody mentions upside down hanging bats,anymore,is my main gripe.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

More upside-down bats.
On that I am 100 percent with you.