Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th February 2017

Post by HindleA »

Sorry yahyah for reposting,I usually check.In my defence I am knackered after carrying Marius through the sewers of Paris,and paying 40 francs for the grill to be opened to get out.Now awaiting fate,faced with my nemesis.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

HindleA wrote:Sorry yahyah for reposting,I usually check.In my defence I am knackered after carrying Marius through the sewers of Paris,and paying 40 francs for the grill to be opened to get out.Now awaiting fate,faced with my nemesis.
:lol: Will forgive you this time as you were otherwise occupied.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Abstract
Andrew Cooper, a former Downing Street strategist and adviser to David Cameron, assesses and analyses the key factors behind the Conservatives’ victory. He reflects on how the Party developed its strategic messaging and, guided by Lynton Crosby, focused on the economy. This case was strengthened by the failure of the Labour opposition to formulate and promote a coherent response. Ed Milband was seen as a very weak opponent because many did not view him as a credible leader. Cooper also reflects on the Conservatives’ highly effective use of resources to engage with the micro-targeting of voters through use of social media platforms, notably Facebook, to build relationships with sections of the electorate.

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.10 ... -40934-4_9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:It may be a small and inconsequential forum but it used to be a good and pleasant place to have a good debate at one time

I can admit to an error in phrasing which allows stupid posts like the one above to be made (and shows the mentality of the poster) but the same poster has ranted on and on about Corbyn for the last year in virtually every post, even though she, thankfully, has left the party......

Most other posts have been attempts to be 'funny'

The main similarity being that all posts are generally devoid of interesting content or argument
You're still being too cryptic for me, I'm afraid. If you're referring to someone in particular, perhaps you should say so. At least then they can defend themselves and others don't have to wonder if you mean them.

Some people only read the forum occasionally for political discussion and so don't know about personal fallings out among members. Oblique references to unnamed posters hardly makes the forum understandable or informative to passing readers (if, indeed CTN still attracts any).
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

As if by magic (from 2015)
Strategic communications in Labour’s election campaign was almost non-existent to the naked eye and is one of the prime reasons the party suffered such a bruising defeat just over a month ago.
http://labourlist.org/2015/06/labour-mu ... ons-again/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Abstract
Andrew Cooper, a former Downing Street strategist and adviser to David Cameron, assesses and analyses the key factors behind the Conservatives’ victory. He reflects on how the Party developed its strategic messaging and, guided by Lynton Crosby, focused on the economy. This case was strengthened by the failure of the Labour opposition to formulate and promote a coherent response. Ed Milband was seen as a very weak opponent because many did not view him as a credible leader. Cooper also reflects on the Conservatives’ highly effective use of resources to engage with the micro-targeting of voters through use of social media platforms, notably Facebook, to build relationships with sections of the electorate.

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.10 ... -40934-4_9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I read a quite creepy article recently about Trump's campaign doing something similar, the company they used was called Cambridge Analytics or something like that?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Abstract

Funny that. Facebook has in my experience a plethora of leftie type posting of all kinds vegan, human rights, animal welfare, especially kittens, rabbits, and baby mice, along with international stuff, and yes indeed some political stuff, but I cannot with any honesty say I have ever seen much evidence of the claim that Tories build relationships with sections of the electorate through Facebook. I have however seen a huge amount of rightwing dominated postings and news items via the more rabid sections of the far right, and plenty of deliberate targeting of groups by right wing trolls and flamers. Also plenty of repetition of DM type opinions by people who often don't know better. If the Tories are a part of this they certainly aren't owning it.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

You are being very diplomatic Willow. He hates me, thinks I'm some evil devil incarnate.
He's obsessed and out to scapegoat.

It is cultish. I'm sorry but it is. Spooky too. [Not Spooky Tooth]
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

@seeingclearly. I think that was the point, you or I wouldn't see such posts because they're not targeting us. It really was creepy, and I'd love to think it was rubbish.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@gilsey & sc

You may be interested in this - I read it on the Telegraph site this morning.

''How a tiny Canadian IT company helped swing the Brexit vote for Leave.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02 ... ote-leave/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

HSOM said

"Those who oppose Corbyn need to come up with alternatives"

There are many viable members of the PLP who would be better

Jarvis
Starmer
Nandy (my choice)
Cooper
Benn
Miliband (Ed)

If we could get him a safe Labour seat, Khan would be ideal.

Now I think some of those are overrated (especially Starmer who is a myth), but any of them (and more) would do better than Corbyn.

But, and this is the Corbyn supporters best card, would any of them win in 2020? The answer to that is no. Recovery will take at least a decade. I don't think Labour will ever again be in power outside a coalition, and that some kind of shock to the political parties in England may be necessary to get them to reorganise.

Which is why I think this is still the best argument for Corbyn I have read

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com ... shame.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

tinyclanger2 wrote:As if by magic (from 2015)
Strategic communications in Labour’s election campaign was almost non-existent to the naked eye and is one of the prime reasons the party suffered such a bruising defeat just over a month ago.
http://labourlist.org/2015/06/labour-mu ... ons-again/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"To put in (sic) plainly, you don’t win elections with only support from the Mirror."

When the media refuse to report in an unbiased, or indeed any, way, then how can a party even begin to develop effective strategic communications? We have seen the converse, of course, the positive media coverage of Farage and his ubiquitous presence on BBCQT for instance, and how that kind of media permission benefitted his ragtag of a party by gifting it with the parts of the electorate who were disgruntled by politics and politicians in general. It is fair to say that any party with even a tiny majority will be very hard to dislodge given such circumstances, and the remainder of the electorate, without the incentive of a binary option, or the option of a more or less single protest vote, will be very fragmented. The tories played it well in Copeland, schools and saving them being a big issue that is understandable and fixable locally, especially if you are a tory; the public is rightly confused on the NHS, it is both too big for them to understand in any depth, and if they reject the reasoning for all the cuts and changes, then really they have to re-examine too much that they know little of.

Labour lost Copeland because of UKIP, that ever ready instrument of the Tory party in the small matter of destroying any effective opposition. I am not too old to remember that Labour had no chance of winning in the 80's and 90's till they were endorsed by the media, and that Blairs victory was assisted by that. Apparently the PLP either forgot that or have already hitched their wagon to the Tory star.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I try and live by "judge not lest you be judged".It didn't work,they still fined me.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:HSOM said

Jarvis
Starmer
Nandy (my choice)
Cooper
Benn
Miliband (Ed)

Now I think some of those are overrated (especially Starmer who is a myth), but any of them (and more) would do better than Corbyn.

But, and this is the Corbyn supporters best card, would any of them win in 2020? The answer to that is no. Recovery will take at least a decade. I don't think Labour will ever again be in power outside a coalition, and that some kind of shock to the political parties in England may be necessary to get them to reorganise.

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com ... shame.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All are now tainted by coups and civil war, toxic with over half of the members. They cannot unify the party, and would lead labour to electoral oblivion as much as corbyn, because unity wins elections, not personality.

This is the nonsense of the right. The same people who lost two general elections and consigned us to a decade of tory rule, lost all of scotland, put on life support in wales - all without corbyn's help - now lecture on electability.

They cant even find a candidate to beat a flawed corbyn, twice, but they know how to win an election. It's risible nonsense.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

gilsey wrote:@seeingclearly. I think that was the point, you or I wouldn't see such posts because they're not targeting us. It really was creepy, and I'd love to think it was rubbish.
So they bought into targeted consumer profiling? Well, that would make sense given other examples of targetting, remember in 2015 the targeted letters in marginals seats.... and bringing in campaigners from the US to campaign in tageted areas. There is a pattern there. But hugely expensive stuff, so where is the data on Tory (illegal?) over expenditure and any repercussions they ought to be facing?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Temulkar wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:HSOM said

Jarvis
Starmer
Nandy (my choice)
Cooper
Benn
Miliband (Ed)

All are now tainted by coups and civil war, toxic with over half of the members. They cannot unify the party, and would lead labour to electoral oblivion as much as corbyn, because unity wins elections, not personality.

This is the nonsense of the right. The same people who lost two general elections and consigned us to a decade of tory rule, lost all of scotland, put on life support in wales - all without corbyn's help - now lecture on electability.

They cant even find a candidate to beat a flawed corbyn, twice, but they know how to win an election. It's risible nonsense.
Unfortunately, we are in furious agreement.

So yes, although I think that any one of these people would do significantly better than Corbyn, they'd be hamstrung by the fact that the membershiip is now dominated by new members of a particular viewpoint.

As for your last point, I think I said that Labour can't win whoever it elects as leader. But the constituencies are significantly different. Those who appeal to the average member of the Stop the War Coalition are not those who will win back any votes from the Tories.

Which is what Labour needs to do. convince some voters who have voted Tory to vote for them. The idea that it doesn't need to do that, but can instead rely on non-voters etc, is being tested to destruction.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

" When things are digital you can be more empirical and control the timing. The world of advertising agencies and PR companies were sure we had screwed up because they did not see what we were doing.” Dominic Cummings
That I do find creepy. It means that whoever uses the most potent digital technology has the edge and that results will be in future hostage to how clever the digital solution is and who is the highest bidder. Out of sight of the electorate. Whatever happened to such notions as transparency?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

seeingclearly wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:As if by magic (from 2015)

"To put in (sic) plainly, you don’t win elections with only support from the Mirror."

When the media refuse to report in an unbiased, or indeed any, way, then how can a party even begin to develop effective strategic communications? We have seen the converse, of course, the positive media coverage of Farage and his ubiquitous presence on BBCQT for instance, and how that kind of media permission benefitted his ragtag of a party by gifting it with the parts of the electorate who were disgruntled by politics and politicians in general. It is fair to say that any party with even a tiny majority will be very hard to dislodge given such circumstances, and the remainder of the electorate, without the incentive of a binary option, or the option of a more or less single protest vote, will be very fragmented. The tories played it well in Copeland, schools and saving them being a big issue that is understandable and fixable locally, especially if you are a tory; the public is rightly confused on the NHS, it is both too big for them to understand in any depth, and if they reject the reasoning for all the cuts and changes, then really they have to re-examine too much that they know little of.

Labour lost Copeland because of UKIP, that ever ready instrument of the Tory party in the small matter of destroying any effective opposition. I am not too old to remember that Labour had no chance of winning in the 80's and 90's till they were endorsed by the media, and that Blairs victory was assisted by that. Apparently the PLP either forgot that or have already hitched their wagon to the Tory star.
see eg: Greenpeace. They work to get their issues into a largely hostile press as well as direct to the already converted. The UK press aren't going to play fair on this, so the Labour comms strategy needs to take this into account to be effective. I'm not saying it's easy, but it is necessary.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39088847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disability benefit changes criticised

FWIW have made a complaint to Beeb on distorted and factually incorrect basis.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

seeingclearly wrote:
" When things are digital you can be more empirical and control the timing. The world of advertising agencies and PR companies were sure we had screwed up because they did not see what we were doing.” Dominic Cummings
That I do find creepy. It means that whoever uses the most potent digital technology has the edge and that results will be in future hostage to how clever the digital solution is and who is the highest bidder. Out of sight of the electorate. Whatever happened to such notions as transparency?
This takes us into the domain of do we want to be "right" or do we want to win. Or exactly where are we on what spectra (I use the term "we" loosely here). The right have fewer scruples and will band together to win. The left (as we have so frequently demonstrated here) fragment on the basis of relatively small differences they see as matters of principle. We need to be prepared to fight pragmatically to win, but without moving into questionable ground.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://stuartbruce.biz/2015/06/pr-leade ... efeat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It appears that Ed Miliband was the classic ‘difficult client’. He appears to be a man of principle. A man of convictions. His problem appeared to be that he could think ‘big’ – his vision to focus on inequality and ‘small’ – his obsession with ‘retail’ policies like freezing household energy prices. But what he was unable to do was join the two together. He had no clear strategy or over-arching narrative to link his vision to his policy ideas. The ideas that were tried to link it all together were never developed properly.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

I knew I had heard of AIQ before. But the story posted was unfamiliar, so I went and looked for what I remembered. Cannot of course vouch for anything, but who can these days.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/marieleconte/v ... .cqkRNRGYJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TC2 Yes, but really GreenPeace though they have a big following are not in the same league as the opposition party of security council state? The resource thrown against Ed Miliband for instance was huge, and there must have been some irresistible offers made, given that the things that made him look foolish, especially in the last days must have been a result of some pretty dastardly doings. And that is not to underestimate what GreenPeace has had chucked at it.

Edited to change a brainfart error. I do know that Amnesty and GreenPeace are separate and very different entities. :oops:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ez-ellison" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Hanging in the balance': Democrats set to elect new leader after fierce contest
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -in-the-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could Roe v Wade be overturned and abortion outlawed in the US?
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

When I mentioned transparency it was with regard to being open with the electorate, isn't it so much a basic tenet of democracy that people should be able to see what is happening in government, that Cameron made it a big part of his campaign in the run up to the 2010 election? Well I know we have moved a long way from that, but isn't that part of what pusses people off, the idea that politicians are not honest?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Seeing Clearly - am not saying it is a direct model, or directly comparable - I'm just saying that there are ways to explore to get coverage, even in a hostile press. ie: yes the UK press are hostile to the left so where are the opportunities and how do we exploit those that there are. Am sure there are ways. Arron Banks is right - people aren't interested in evidence, they are interested in things that reinforce what they already think. How, again do we understand and work with that?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I think there is a difference between lack of honesty and lack of transparency. Transparency is critical, but as with most things requires judgement.

What I'm interested in knowing more about is what options are available, given the state of our press, and what should we do with them. I think there is a lot of opportunity here.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The article paints a clear picture of a dysfunctional organisation obsessed by tactics and without any workable strategy. In the Art of War Sun Tzu says:

“Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.”
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ed Miliband’s desire to disassociate himself from Tony Blair’s and Gordon Brown’s leadership meant he failed to defend Labour’s record in government. This allowed the Conservatives to lodge the emotional argument in people’s minds that Labour was responsible for the deficit, even though the facts proved the opposite.
Exactly. Clear case in point. Though wouldn't assume it was specifically down to Ed.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Not sure that revealing strategy at this point in time would be a good tactic, or vice versa. Thus far any efforts made have led either tories turning them to shit, or tories hijacking a ythimg sensible and then turning that to shit too. They may not be clever but are better versed in strategy and tactics than we are. Effectively holding the bastards to account would seem the best way forward. Something that is happening. But there is also a matter of deprogramming a population distracted and cockahoop over brexit, or dejected and feeling beaten by it. The people inbetween are pretty invisible because people have forgotten how to listen.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

That quote sounds about right, to me. Where's it from, please?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Yes. Holding them to account (rather than appearing to simply vote things through) would be a start.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:That quote sounds about right, to me. Where's it from, please?
http://stuartbruce.biz/2015/06/pr-leade ... efeat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

But being divided is definitely not the answer, rather a mass movement needs to be built, but that takes time. Better than that I cannot see. In that matter CJA had a good attitude. That is the priority, until then the detail is moot. So the question is how do you reunite a nation when its trajectory is to fragment. And the answer is not Brexit ir Remoaning or any such reductive nonsense. The answer must lie in removing power from what is effectively a cancer on our society. Again that will take time. No easy stuff, if there was we would not be fragmented.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Labour frequently makes the mistake of thinking that because the facts are on its side that it can win the arguments. The Democrats in the USA frequently make the same mistake. You saw it with the debate over Obamacare. The Democrats talked about the millions without the right healthcare who would be lifted into safety. The Republicans talked about the 92 year old grandmother in South Carolina who would be prevented from seeing her favourite doctor of 20 years.
Yes - people have lost the ability to listen - so our comms approach needs to take that into account - not think things should be different (even if they "should").
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:That quote sounds about right, to me. Where's it from, please?
I fundamentally disagree with much of the above. If Ed was surrounded by 'too much talent' where is it now?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I'm focusing more on the comms aspects - and much of it resonates with me. Labour needs to get a decent communications strategy more than it needs to get a different leader. Look at May.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

From 2010
‘The Labour rebuttals are simply not getting through,’ warned Hilton. ‘The public has heard the pre-prepared lines so many times that it is not hearing them anymore. What it is not hearing from Labour is pride.

‘Labour’s front benches, scared of ideology for so long, need to dig deep and find their conviction. Because that’s the only way they will communicate to the public what’s truly at stake.’
http://www.prweek.com/article/1011573/l ... IJCcjJq.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indeed. My perception is that in chasing the Tory, SNP and UKIP vote we keep forgetting our actual mission. And thus fail to sell it.
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sat 25 Feb, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Couldn't agree more. The thing is that is exactly what the PLP pursue, and what the media won't countenance. They nullify any efforts in that direction by summoning up the spectres of times past. And positions that people may have taken in very different times, as if people do not grow and change and learn from mistakes.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... nta-ballot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom Perez is new Democratic party chair, beating Keith Ellison in tight vote
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... osexuality" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deported gay Afghans told to ‘pretend to be straight
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

But if I took on a comms strategist who said "we can't get our stories in the press because they don't like us" I would tell them to work out a way to get our stories out - including in the press - regardless.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Biologists say half of all species could be extinct by end of century
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... conference

Biologists say half of all species could be extinct by end of century
It always fascinates me that people think environmental security is some kind of tree hugging add on, rather than a basic need. I know I've mentioned it before (it is a recurring theme in my brain) but our species is disappointing.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

We keep letting the bad guys win.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

I a. thinking in particular of all the array of labour politicians who have done good work, now reviled and besmirched within and without the Labour Party for stances on issues peculiar to their times, and how this kind of mud is made to stick on people with left of centre views, and suddenly they are stalinists, and often far worse. their entire working lives are forgotten because someone has dug up some dirt on them, but the converse true of the tories, unless they are dead, until then the teflon coat is firmly in place. The only thing that sticks is child abuse, but then only in a sensationalist way, and noone seems to care to ask what about the victims, who may well be among those with mental health conditions now being brutally targeted. Nobody is interested in joining the dots, they prefer the next bit of juicy titillation provided by people like Milo, Hopkins etc. I was staggered that ao many came out against Trump but will not be seen at and will not support the disabled people of this country. When they get used to Trump then they will move on to something else, presumably the agenda he sets. Frankly Labour are trying to get a message out in an already hugely noisy environment. And it is not as though it is just here. Centre left policies, nothing extreme at all are being shouted down and discredited very noisily right across the eurocentric world. So much as we would like quick solutions, I am not sure there will be any. Tem said something, it is darkest before the dawn. Thats another way of saying it is going to get worse before it gets better. So actually fragmenting further plays into their hands. Perhaps some of those mouthy PLP people need to start really working, they have a great base of members, by no means are such people just there as keyboard warriors, ready to leave and go elsewhere. Ask the people who campaign. There are plenty of people doing the hard slog, on the doorsteps, and trying to deconstruct the lies. They deserve the support of the PLP.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

If we cannot get our message out we cannot change anything. It is of course difficult, but it doesn't alter that we need to work out how to do it, and that does not seem to have been fully grasped somewhere along the line. The point is to use all of the things you outline and USE them in order to communicate. They are potential opportunities.

So people like titillation - how do we use that
They have short attention spans - how do we use that
People aren't interested in evidence - is there another way we can get things across

etc etc
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Away from the Stoke and Copeland excitement, four local council byelections this week:

Basingstoke and Deane DC - first of all a Tuesday contest saw a Labour gain from Tory on a massive swing of some 21% and over 60 per cent in a ward which has always voted Tory since the 2008 all-out elections following boundary changes when they easily won both seats - Labour ran the Tories close in 2011 and (more so) 2014 but the Tories pulled well ahead in the most recent contest on GE day. The Tory decline of 10 points was even more notable for the absence this time of any UKIP candidate after they polled respectably both two years ago and in 2014 - this sort of result given the national picture points to local factors and that was indeed the case here; a proposed school closure has caused much controversy. An excellent Labour result nonetheless, and augmented by the fact the LibDems polled just 3 per cent - roughly halved on their last showing.

Kettering DC - in contrast to the above, this was a LibDem gain from Tory with 57 per cent of the vote (almost double the Tory share) to give them their first election victory on this authority since the turn of the millennium - and in a ward that they have not even stood in since the all out boundary change elections in 2007 which saw two Tories safely elected, an outcome repeated in 2011 and 2015. Labour came second in the first two elections before UKIP snatched that spot on GE day, but the former did not even stand this time and the latter crashed from a quarter of the poll last time to under 10% now. Greens last with 4%, also halved.

Epping Forest DC - Tory hold in a straight fight with the LibDems and decisively so, beating them by just over 3 to 1. This ward returned a split slate of 1Con/1Ind in 2002 and the LibDems ran the Tories close in a previous 2005 byelection (also just the 2 candidates) but after that the Independent joined the Tories and it has since been totally safe for them. Greens got a distant second in 2008 and 2016, UKIP in 2012 in 2014 but both were absent this time - as were Labour who came just a single vote behind the Greens last May.

South Hams DC - LibDem gain from Tory in a ward which had its first election in its present boundaries in 2015, but this area was safely Tory long before that. As in Kettering this was from a standing start as the only opposition on GE day had been provided by a Green and Independent (in that order) and they had to be content with approaching half the vote this time, whilst the Tories dropped from nearing two thirds 2 years ago to less than 40 per cent now. Labour polled over 10 per cent in a totally rural ward - even that is a bit higher than the recent norm in such areas, maybe not unconnected with their candidate achieving a certain amount of fame on social media. Greens, second last time with nearly 20 per cent, crashed by over three quarters to 4th and last now.

Four contests to kick off March.

A personal note now, I am going to be posting a bit less on this forum for a while but still hope to do these reviews. Take care, all :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks AK.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... y-scotland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could the race to be UK City of Culture 2021 be the remaking of Paisley?

Dad's place of birth.