Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Re: Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th February 2017

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Sorry, but I am breaking my silence to say the idea that Corbyn still wouldn't go after a crushing 2020 defeat is utterly pathetic - and just shows your personal bitterness.

I am convinced now he will step down BEFORE then as long as he is satisfied the Bitterite element in the PLP won't then attempt some sort of counter revolution - that really might finish Labour for good. Don't forget far too many people in high places despised Ed M, never mind Jez.
First off words like bitterite are daft. There are about ten of them left and nobody cares about them.

I know you are on record as saying you think Corbyn will step down before 2020. But given the whole project has utterly failed and every day he stays on he is damaging the party's prospects further why not now. And if not now when, and if not before 2020 why would he knowingly go down to a record breaking defeat and then resign?

Corbyn is really on record as saying election victories aren't a big deal, and he sees other stuff as just as (or possibly more) important. It follows therefore he won't go just because he has lost, when he surely by now knows crushing defeat is inevitable.

In his mind he may hope to hand over to some electorally acceptable successor. But there isn't and won't be one who is more electable than him, that is acceptable to him. The whole lot of his inner circle have to go. Long-Bailey is apparently his preferred choice, I suggest she is less credible than he is.

So he has no chance of handing over power to a member of the inner circle, and won't be allowed to resign until he can do so. This is almost Politburo stuff.
Release the Guardvarks.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Workers in the NL very much protected compared to the UK, and signficantly higher tax rates --> a much more robust social safety net; so how does that translate into Wilders' relative growth in popularity?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RogerOThornhill wrote:I just had a second look at that 'Trojan Horse' story...and it's even more odd than I though.

According to Gilligan the principal-elect (of the school which didn't actually open) resigned in 2013.

So when was he appointed?

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news- ... of-its-own
In a class of its own
Date published: 03 September 2013

AN adventurer who sailed solo across the Atlantic is at the helm of a new free school which wants to open in Oldham.

Rick Hodge, a former fighter pilot, has been appointed as principal designate of the Phoenix Free School which will be staffed entirely by former military personnel.
Huh?
Is it perhaps called The Paul Nuttall academy?
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Ed Miliband doesn't dance
When I first saw him in person giving a speech in Birmingham in 2014 (?), it occurred to me he'd get on with cameras, crowds and mega media better if he'd let himself go and play that funky music
Laughing and singing and moving to the grooving
Not necessarily in public, mind
People can tell if you can or can't play that funky music, white boy, play that funky music right, play that funky music, white boy, lay down and boogie and play that funky music 'til you die, 'til you die, yes, they shouted, play that funky music! got to, got to, play that funky music
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

The former Copeland MP, about whom there is no doubt considerable bitterness, well worth a read on twitter

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://twitter.com/JamieFonzarelli" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Gene Hunt doesn't dance either.
But he was badass nevertheless.
Albeit fictional.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Gene Hunt doesn't dance either.
But he was badass nevertheless.
Albeit fictional.
At first I was afraid, I was petrified
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I grew strong
I learned how to get along
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

McCluskey lets the cat out of the bag. If you're up for election, disassociate from Jez.

That's an election in Unite. How does anyone think Jez is going down in Bedford or Waveney?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Fictional?I've been using his book "The future of modern policing" for study purposes.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Political opposition in this country is doomed, unless the Unions ride to the rescue. This seems unlikely given the sort of people who run Unite, but maybe faced with utter, complete and continuing defeat they will realise something must be done.
What has been quite amusing is Watson calling on his old flatmate McCluskey to back Corbyn and Len saying he doesn't do politics!

the agenda of both is obviously the Unite election, with Len not wishing to get still closer to Corbyn, and Watson wanting him to lose.

What saved Labour back in the 80s were the unions. But they just don't provide that ballast that they did in the days of benn, enabling the members to take control. People like me, who joined Labour, are far to the left of the center of UK politics. The new members are far to the left of me. They're in charge.

As for whether Corbyn will resign once Labour loses in 2020, it would previously have been unimaginable that a leader would carry on with 85% of his own Parliamentary party voting no confidence. We aren't in the previous era any longer.
Len and Tom have indeed been comedy gold.

I think the unions could swing it still. The unions plus the centerists would own the NEC. They could probably change the election rules, get it past conference via various nefarious means and then evict the leader.

Messy, yes, doable yes, will it happen? Probably not. It depends if they are happy with 15 years of future Tory government. Unlike Corbyns inner circle they actually do have something to lose as a future right wing government might just ban them.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:This is almost Politburo stuff.
(cJA edit)

All the more reason to disco down and check out the show
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

CJA - I hate to ask, but have you perchance partaken of a finger of the Noilly Pratt?
Or are you simply grooving on down around the living room in preparation for the dawn of a new week?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It would behove us all to remember we all have everything to lose
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

76 THINGS YOU MUST KNOW ABOUT AVOCADOS
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Political opposition in this country is doomed, unless the Unions ride to the rescue. This seems unlikely given the sort of people who run Unite, but maybe faced with utter, complete and continuing defeat they will realise something must be done.
What has been quite amusing is Watson calling on his old flatmate McCluskey to back Corbyn and Len saying he doesn't do politics!

the agenda of both is obviously the Unite election, with Len not wishing to get still closer to Corbyn, and Watson wanting him to lose.

What saved Labour back in the 80s were the unions. But they just don't provide that ballast that they did in the days of benn, enabling the members to take control. People like me, who joined Labour, are far to the left of the center of UK politics. The new members are far to the left of me. They're in charge.

As for whether Corbyn will resign once Labour loses in 2020, it would previously have been unimaginable that a leader would carry on with 85% of his own Parliamentary party voting no confidence. We aren't in the previous era any longer.
Len and Tom have indeed been comedy gold.

I think the unions could swing it still. The unions plus the centerists would own the NEC. They could probably change the election rules, get it past conference via various nefarious means and then evict the leader.

Messy, yes, doable yes, will it happen? Probably not. It depends if they are happy with 15 years of future Tory government. Unlike Corbyns inner circle they actually do have something to lose as a future right wing government might just ban them.

If he is going to go, it will have to be something like Watson's plan back in the summer, offer hims some kind of chairman's role, or he goes in return for the rule change lowering the threshold to 5%. I can't see McDonnell (who calls the shots) going for it though.

I am sure JC wants to go. He looks utterly miserable. I feel sorry for him, and the poor naive sods who backed him with such high hopes. And for everyone who needs a Labour government. And, indeed, for me.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:CJA - I hate to ask, but have you perchance partaken of a finger of the Noilly Pratt?
Or are you simply grooving on down around the living room in preparation for the dawn of a new week?
Christmas Day 2000
I asked for three fingers of Russian vodka.
It was duly poured out and handed to me.
I took the tiniest of tiny sips.
Setting the glass down, I wandered into my youngest niece’s bedroom and promptly fell asleep.
They've called me, 'Goldilocks' from that time on.
I left that country.
I've imbibed nothing this evening.
Mixing it up with some dancing or taking some other wholesome exercise stimulates the creative soul.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Chairman Jez is a gift to opponents. Offer him something where he has to do work- health for instance.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... y-disabled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welfare funds must serve 'really disabled' people, says MP
Tory policy head George Freeman argues for ‘tweaks’ to stop benefits ruling entailing £3.6bn bill and PIP eligibility for ‘anxiety’

Noticed the repeated stock answer and atrocious lie of "50 billion on benefits"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Atrocious=widely inaccurate.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

SpinningHugo wrote:The former Copeland MP, about whom there is no doubt considerable bitterness, well worth a read on twitter

https://twitter.com/JamieFonzarelli" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He really isn't - Attlee's putdown to Laski is highly apposite here.

It is widely reported (and backed up by multiple non-Labour sources) that resentment at how he "flounced out" of his job was a significant factor in the byelection result.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Sun 26 Feb, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:McCluskey lets the cat out of the bag. If you're up for election, disassociate from Jez.

That's an election in Unite. How does anyone think Jez is going down in Bedford or Waveney?
While you're around - did you see Gilligan's story (and my posts) about Tom Burkard's free school that never was?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... y-disabled

Welfare funds must serve 'really disabled' people, says MP
Tory policy head George Freeman argues for ‘tweaks’ to stop benefits ruling entailing £3.6bn bill and PIP eligibility for ‘anxiety’

Noticed the repeated stock answer and atrocious lie of "50 billion on benefits"
...“[Philip] Hammond can’t hide from these PIP cuts in his budget. He needs to explain why he can’t absorb them like his predecessor while he is still going ahead with tax giveaways to the very wealthiest in our country.”

The Conservative party chair, Patrick McLoughlin, signalled on Sunday that the government was also not considering any row-back on the planned £3bn cuts to in-work benefits. “We’ve got to reduce the deficit,” McLoughlin said. “We still have a very big deficit in this country. We’ve got to look at the whole area and we’ve got to reward those people who work, and that’s what we’re doing ...
If rewarding people who worked was important to the Tory government, they'd do so.
They don't.
Bastards.
Handing rentiers the property of the UK while sitting on their fat a***s cutting disability provision.
Get a job, you Tory ******* ******.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Good on Len

https://potteryview.wordpress.com/2017/ ... mccluskey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

No alcohol since '84,though several de tox clinics since re.tea addiction-the DT's are awful.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Late night excursions in dressing gown believing I was Sherlock Holmes on a case may gave a hint as to why I knocked the booze on the head.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

WTF is he talking about PIP is not an out of work benefit,it helps people to work/continue to work.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:The former Copeland MP, about whom there is no doubt considerable bitterness, well worth a read on twitter

It is widely reported (and backed up by multiple non-Labour sources) that resentment at how he "flounced out" of his job was a significant factor in the byelection result.

Really? You honestly think people voted Tory because of that?

Seems to me like the kind of claim those floundering around for a way to blame the tiny cohort of "Bitterites" make.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

They are all over the place,ESA cuts justified by amelioration via possible PIP,cut PIP.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes, some people did AND ACTUALLY SAID SO.

Your idea (shared by much of the media, obviously) that this remarkable result had a simple binary explanation (which was, of course, Corbyn and NOTHING else) is as simplistic as it is irritating. It was a confluence of various factors - the Labour leadership being one - which amounted to a "perfect storm".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Indeed.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Yes, some people did AND ACTUALLY SAID SO.

Your idea (shared by much of the media, obviously) that this remarkable result had a simple binary explanation (which was, of course, Corbyn and NOTHING else) is as simplistic as it is irritating. It was a confluence of various factors - the Labour leadership being one - which amounted to a "perfect storm".

To be very clear, nobody at all is claiming that Corbyn is Labour's only problem. If he were, Labour could change leader and everything would be solved. As I've repeatedly said, Labour won't win even it it changes leader tomorrow.

It is very hard to criticise people like Reed or Hunt for quitting. They clearly don't belong in a Labour party led by Corbyn any more than I do. What are they supposed to do? Someone like Reed with a young family would be required to lie for years. Some won't stand in 2020, but what is the point of staying until then? What good can they do?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Yes, some people did AND ACTUALLY SAID SO.

His Brexit strategy, his media strategy, his political baggage.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Seems to me like the kind of claim those floundering around for a way to blame the tiny cohort of "Bitterites" make.
That guy in Sleaford didn't doom his party by walking out.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I'm not convinced Brexit was much of a factor here either way (Labour maybe leaked a few votes to the LibDems through it, but nothing major)

Certainly agree about the "baggage" though - JC should have been prepared to deal with that from day one of his leadership. Of course, he wasn't and hasn't.

And as for media "strategy" - Milne was the single most disastrous appointment he has made and some of we supposed "apologists" called that from day one too ;)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:McCluskey lets the cat out of the bag. If you're up for election, disassociate from Jez.

While you're around - did you see Gilligan's story (and my posts) about Tom Burkard's free school that never was?
I did. Curiouser and Curiouser.

They dumped on the other guy, by the look of it.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

People vote tory because it makes them feel superior.
It seems that the proportion of people wanting to feel superior to others is increasing.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I'm not convinced Brexit was much of a factor here either way (Labour maybe leaked a few votes to the LibDems through it, but nothing major)

Certainly agree about the "baggage" though - JC should have been prepared to deal with that from day one of his leadership. Of course, he wasn't and hasn't.

And as for media "strategy" - Milne was the single most disastrous appointment he has made and some of we supposed "apologists" called that from day one too ;)
The Parliamentary handling of the vote alone was awful, with whips breaking their own 3 line whip. Lots of coverage.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Rowson on Michael Heseltine, the Lords and article 50 –
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sleaford didn't have any "hot button issue" for the opposition parties to seize upon. Had that been the case, the way Phillips left might have loomed rather larger.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Poor excuses bingo response to the defeat too. An England football smashed TV sets on plane, collective responsibility should have been it. Don't even agree with media when they say "did Blair fuck it up for you", let alone say it yourself.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 00686.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Users fear social media is making them ill, but they still can't stop
Some 90 per cent of 18 to 29-year-olds now own a smartphone
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Some 42 per cent of ‘constant checkers’ reported the political and cultural discussions on social media caused them stress, compared to 33 per cent of non-constant checkers.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Have we had Steve Howell as new Deputy Director,Strategy & Communication?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It *can* be stressful, as we have seen on here recently. One reason why I really AM taking a bit of a rest from tomorrow. Honest ;)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:Have we had Steve Howell as new Deputy Director,Strategy & Communication?
we have now:
https://www.publicaffairsnews.com/artic ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Labour lobbyist and keen Liverpool fan will serve as deputy to Corbyn’s communication’s chief Seumas Milne, helping to oversee the leader’s media strategy and to implement a communication’s grid.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It *can* be stressful, as we have seen on here recently. One reason why I really AM taking a bit of a rest from tomorrow. Honest ;)
Take time away to care for yourself. It's good. I love your commentary and it'll be enhanced by taking some time away. I know full well the work I do on the computer, the information I receive from it, are only one way of learning and communicating.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ellie Mae O'Hagan tries the old Copeland "sliding away from Labour for 20 years" lark.

Mysteriously the clock starts ticking in 1997. Why would she not start the clock in 1992, eh?

Majority was smaller in 1992 than 2015. That's why.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

If I was in their position regarding a major local employer & didn't trust Corbyn's change of views, I'd at the very least not be voting Labour, so Yes.

edit: I might be misunderstanding the "how he flounced" bit,
but (from Wikipedia) "On 12 September 2015, one minute into Jeremy Corbyn's acceptance speech as leader of the Labour Party , he publicly resigned as shadow Health Minister giving as his reason Corbyn's opposition to nuclear energy"
Can't have helped Labours case subsequently, once he left to take up a new role there.
Last edited by tinybgoat on Sun 26 Feb, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: He really isn't - Attlee's putdown to Laski is highly apposite here.

A guy who has managed to whittle a safe lead into a marginal one and then drifts away when things aren't to his liking...and you think that doesn't affect how people vote? He is supposed to be their representative.
It wasn't marginal. 7 percent in a bad overall election is pretty safe.

He went to work for the biggest employer in the area. Not to move in with Hugh Hefner at the Playboy Mansion.