Monday 27th February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 27th February 2017

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Adam BienkovVerified account‏@AdamBienkov 5h5 hours ago
More
You'll be amazed to discover that there have been no takers for Boris's defunct second-hand German water cannon.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@ScarletGas
Good post, thank you
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

John Major attacks government over approach to Brexit

Former PM calls for ‘a little more charm, and a lot less cheap rhetoric’ and says public have been given unrealistic expectations (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -to-brexit
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/23790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taking pills at home" - PIP and mental illness
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/effi ... c-services" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

News story
Efficiency Review to drive productive public services

(3-6% "savings")
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Re the Lords voting

Lindsay Northover
‏Verified account @LPNorthover

@Rosiecat2 @annetteashley61 @HayteratLords That is right. Labour is opposing our staying in the Single Market. Astonishing. Appalling.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Sorry got diverted,horrified by Shami and utterations about car ownership,that I haven't got one nor will ever get one is irrelevant,the fiend must be stopped as opposed to the Government's deliberate lies about the sick/disabled and removal of the ability to have a modicum of independence,I have to prioritise what I am offended by.How dare she say I haven't got a car when I haven't got one,despicable
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:Re the Lords voting

Lindsay Northover

@Rosiecat2 @annetteashley61 @HayteratLords That is right. Labour is opposing our staying in the Single Market. Astonishing. Appalling.
Teresa Crawford Retweeted
Shas Sheehan‏ @sheehanshas 4m4 minutes ago
Good grief! An unedifying sight, watching labour peers troop thru the lobby with Tories on a motion moved by one of their own @PeterHain
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Faisal Islam
‏Verified account @faisalislam

Lords just voted down Peter Hain's attempt to amend the Article 50 Bill to keep UK in Single Market: 299 to 136 - Labour voted with Govt
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Meanwhile...
Laura Kuenssberg
‏Verified account @bbclaurak

Follow
More
Rees Mogg - 'it was a craven and defeatist speech from a bitter man' - Peace reigns in the Tory movement tonight....
presumably about K.Clarke.

And Farage is trying to get UKIP's only MP sacked...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02 ... ell-thrown
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:Faisal Islam

Lords just voted down Peter Hain's attempt to amend the Article 50 Bill to keep UK in Single Market: 299 to 136 - Labour voted with Govt

So "the will of the people" to exit the EU won over "the will of the people" who elected a government that said it would keep us in the single market.

:roll:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

StephenDolan wrote:A fast and dirty question.

For each of the shadow cabinet, what mark out ten would you give them?
I love this question, sheer genius.

-200 for McDonnell, -100 for Abbott, 0 for everybody else bar Starmer who I will score a 6 - needs to do better.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Faisal Islam

So "the will of the people" to exit the EU won over "the will of the people" who elected a government that said it would keep us in the single market.

:roll:
Leaving the Single Market is a bad thing to do
I've no idea what these Parliamentarians are thinking
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Paul Offord‏ @paulofford 8h8 hours ago
More
I am impressed with @halfon4harlowMP for speaking at #saveouradulteducation launch. He said must vanquish snobbery towards lifelong learning
If there is any, I can't say I encountered any - quite the opposite. Made so many friends amongst fellow PhD students who are nearly all half my age or younger.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:

Lindsay Northover

Good grief! An unedifying sight, watching labour peers troop thru the lobby with Tories on a motion moved by one of their own @PeterHain
Voting against their own amendment ? FFS ! :sick:

(Good to see you :) )
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Meanwhile...
Laura Kuenssberg

Follow
More
Rees Mogg - 'it was a craven and defeatist speech from a bitter man' - Peace reigns in the Tory movement tonight....

Or John Major's
Peter Walker
‏Verified account @peterwalker99

I'd recommend reading full John Major speech on Brexit. Very interesting, and robust at times, eg here on listening to the 48%

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Paul Offord‏ @paulofford 8h8 hours ago
More
I am impressed with @halfon4harlowMP for speaking at #saveouradulteducation launch. He said must vanquish snobbery towards lifelong learning
If there is any, I can't say I encountered any - quite the opposite. Made so many friends amongst fellow PhD students who are nearly all half my age or younger.
Older students in adult education are obtaining different qualifications, not doctorates

edited to add
I hadn't meant that in an antagonistic way and it reads like I've done so
It's not my intention
There's all kinds of consolidating and cutting funding from colleges
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 27 Feb, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I was assuming the plan to blame Blair was going to be the sort of thing they could pull back from if it wasn't coming out right.

Turns out the Shadow Chancellor had committed an article to print, which would come out 3 days after and even derail good news if the seat had been held.
It is a joke isn't it. If there is any serious plan from Corbyn post Copeland to stop the bleeding then sacking that useless fool would be a great place to start and a strong signal to send.

I have no idea what these jokers hope to achieve other than to run and hide in a bunker while Labour gets wiped out in most of the country. Copeland demands a response and a recovery plan, but what we get is some bleating about conspiracy, a refusal to face the music in front of the MPs and some muttering about policy meetings.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

John Mayall Tour Dates

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/john-mayall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Meanwhile...
Laura Kuenssberg

Follow
More

Or John Major's
Peter Walker
‏Verified account @peterwalker99

I'd recommend reading full John Major speech on Brexit. Very interesting, and robust at times, eg here on listening to the 48%

Yes.
I'd like to think I'd pull away from fouling up spectacularly and damning my country and people to decades of the shit because I was afraid of something comparatively infinitesimal like being voted out in the next GE but I'm not voted in so what do I know.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Lindsay Northover

Voting against their own amendment ? FFS ! :sick:

(Good to see you :) )
The refusal to support this amendment is beyond my understanding. Can somebody remind me when the fight is supposed to start ( I thought it was a week or so ago, but clearly I was previous). To be fair of all the things I thought Corbyn would do colluding with the Tory party wasn't one of them.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:The refusal to support this amendment is beyond my understanding. Can somebody remind me when the fight is supposed to start ( I thought it was a week or so ago, but clearly I was previous). To be fair of all the things I thought Corbyn would do colluding with the Tory party wasn't one of them.
(cJA edit)

I'm as astounded as you are. I've no idea what they're thinking. None.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -to-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Major also spoke out in defence of remain campaigners and MPs, who have been criticised and accused of trying to thwart “the will of the people” for voicing their doubts about the consequences of Brexit.

“Freedom of speech is absolute in our country,” he said. “It’s not arrogant or brazen or elitist, or remotely delusional to express concern about our future after Brexit. Nor, by doing so, is this group undermining the will of the people; they are the people. Shouting down their legitimate comment is against all our traditions of tolerance. It does nothing to inform and everything to demean – and it is time it stopped.”
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

HindleA wrote:Sorry got diverted,horrified by Shami and utterations about car ownership,that I haven't got one nor will ever get one is irrelevant,the fiend must be stopped as opposed to the Government's deliberate lies about the sick/disabled and removal of the ability to have a modicum of independence,I have to prioritise what I am offended by.How dare she say I haven't got a car when I haven't got one,despicable
If you nip down the local palace of westminster boozer sharpish you may be able to catch her to have a word.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

John Walmsley
‏ @JohnLWalmsley
@bbclaurak Hey Laura, any idea why @Aaron_Banks got suspended from @Twitter?

@Aaron_Banks https://twitter.com/account/suspended" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:The refusal to support this amendment is beyond my understanding. Can somebody remind me when the fight is supposed to start ( I thought it was a week or so ago, but clearly I was previous). To be fair of all the things I thought Corbyn would do colluding with the Tory party wasn't one of them.
(cJA edit)

I'm as astounded as you are. I've no idea what they're thinking. None.
The two amendments hoped to win support in the Lords relate to the need for a meaningful vote on the negotiated exit agreement and to guarantees of the rights of EU citizens living in the UK.

I believe those are the only two that are considered likely to win a majority.

Still, Labour voting against an amendment to stay in the single market isn't going to be popular with remain voters. A failure to reassure Hain the amendments Labour are supporting are adequate is how we got to this awkward place. Personally such pragmatism seems pointless to me. The Commons will throw all the amendments out, anyway, whether there are two or twenty, so Labour might as well vote what it thinks, rather than what it thinks it can actually achieve, or so it seems to me.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I was assuming the plan to blame Blair was going to be the sort of thing they could pull back from if it wasn't coming out right.

Turns out the Shadow Chancellor had committed an article to print, which would come out 3 days after and even derail good news if the seat had been held.
It is a joke isn't it. If there is any serious plan from Corbyn post Copeland to stop the bleeding then sacking that useless fool would be a great place to start and a strong signal to send.

I have no idea what these jokers hope to achieve other than to run and hide in a bunker while Labour gets wiped out in most of the country. Copeland demands a response and a recovery plan, but what we get is some bleating about conspiracy, a refusal to face the music in front of the MPs and some muttering about policy meetings.
Neither Corbyn nor McDonnell went to tonight's PLP meeting, whilst Shadow Home Sec Abbott sat drinking in a room elsewhere in the Commons with Shadow Attorney General, Shami Chakrabarti:

pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:John Walmsley
‏ @JohnLWalmsley

@Aaron_Banks https://twitter.com/account/suspended" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If it's the UKIP guy he's talking about, that's the wrong twitter ID

Banks is on @arron_banks
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Meanwhile in irony overload land,

North East to march against Hard Brexit this weekend

Read more at: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/our-regio ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 01051.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iain Duncan Smith, a Eurosceptic Conservative MP, said: “Theresa understands that if you want to take control you have to command the high ground.
Disturbingly military.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Unbelievable.

One of the amendments whipped against was to give an undertaking only to keep Single Market membership. The sort of thing, the government could say "we'll try" or "we won't try" and the process carry on much as May said. I think it was drafted not to be difficult for the Opposition because it was so weak.

As Steve Peers says, the bill Labour waved through is " the shortest suicide note in history".
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:John Walmsley
‏ @JohnLWalmsley

If it's the UKIP guy he's talking about, that's the wrong twitter ID

Banks is on @arron_banks
Thanks - I did wonder - but he has been vocal (in not a nice way) recently so I was living in hope a bit
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nice to see you back, Angry!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote: edited to add
I hadn't meant that in an antagonistic way and it reads like I've done so
It's not my intention
There's all kinds of consolidating and cutting funding from colleges
True - he might well have meant that the snobbery was coming from his own government.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Unbelievable.

One of the amendments whipped against was to give an undertaking only to keep Single Market membership. The sort of thing, the government could say "we'll try" or "we won't try" and the process carry on much as May said. I think it was drafted not to be difficult for the Opposition because it was so weak.

As Steve Peers says, the bill Labour waved through is " the shortest suicide note in history".
It would be good to send at least a few amendments back to the Commons, so there's a record of which reasonable provisos the government are unwilling to commit to.

Won't do much good now, but could be handy later on when the shit hits the fan.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And then there's this...

Another 100 students left with FE loans and no courses after demise of provider Edudo

http://feweek.co.uk/2017/02/27/another- ... ider-edudo
Another 100 learners appear to have been left with heavy student loans debt but no qualifications to show for it, after their training provider under investigation by the Skills Funding Agency went bust.

FE Week is demanding justice for them and hundreds of others left in the lurch – through our new #SaveOurAdultEducation campaign which is calling for all students’ advanced learning loan debt to be written off, if they are unable to complete courses after training providers go out of business.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

pk1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Neither Corbyn nor McDonnell went to tonight's PLP meeting, whilst Shadow Home Sec Abbott sat drinking in a room elsewhere in the Commons with Shadow Attorney General, Shami Chakrabarti:

It is pretty much the dictionary definition of lack of leadership. Worse it gives the impression (entirely accurately I think) that they just don't give a toss. Kind of like the captain of the Titanic nipping down the bar for a social engagement and a pint after hitting the ice.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Nice to see you back, Angry!
Thank you, a bit down at the moment but hoping to be on the up soon :)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Yeah, it's pathetic.

"More time for policies"? They knew they had these big by-elections. Why not have some policy ready?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Meanwhile in irony overload land,

North East to march against Hard Brexit this weekend

Read more at: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/our-regio ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good speakers though :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Unbelievable.

It would be good to send at least a few amendments back to the Commons, so there's a record of which reasonable provisos the government are unwilling to commit to.

Won't do much good now, but could be handy later on when the shit hits the fan.
Yeah, exactly.

The Lords could make it clear: your call, if you want to ping it back to us, that's your call. But it would be on the record.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:And then there's this...

Another 100 students left with FE loans and no courses after demise of provider Edudo

http://feweek.co.uk/2017/02/27/another- ... ider-edudo
Another 100 learners appear to have been left with heavy student loans debt but no qualifications to show for it, after their training provider under investigation by the Skills Funding Agency went bust.

FE Week is demanding justice for them and hundreds of others left in the lurch – through our new #SaveOurAdultEducation campaign which is calling for all students’ advanced learning loan debt to be written off, if they are unable to complete courses after training providers go out of business.
Private companies tasked with providing education and training
What in the world are they thinking
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 01051.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iain Duncan Smith, a Eurosceptic Conservative MP, said: “Theresa understands that if you want to take control you have to command the high ground.
Disturbingly military.
And disturbingly stupid. We're the one who look like stupid little Englanders.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Nice to see you back, Angry!
Thank you, a bit down at the moment but hoping to be on the up soon :)
:heart:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Do you feel lucky punk?
SpaceX to send two people around the moon who paid for a 2018 mission
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... -elon-musk

I particularly love this bit of the article.
The flight would rely on SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket, the massive engine that the company hopes to test for the first time this summer, and a Dragon 2 capsule Musk said that the capsule had a “quite high” success rate for missions so far.
Release the Guardvarks.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Do you feel lucky punk?
SpaceX to send two people around the moon who paid for a 2018 mission
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... -elon-musk

I particularly love this bit of the article.
The flight would rely on SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket, the massive engine that the company hopes to test for the first time this summer, and a Dragon 2 capsule Musk said that the capsule had a “quite high” success rate for missions so far.
"Quite high" well, that's reassuring...maybe :lol:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Completely off topic but this is one of my favourite songs and I heard this version for the first time today. Apparently the band are 'alternative metal' (whatever that means) so to hear him singing this was surprising but Paul Simon approved and contacted him to let him know. Hope you enjoy :)

[youtube]u9Dg-g7t2l4[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Theresa May to end EU citizens’ rights to live in UK days after fear ‘half of Romania and Bulgaria’ will come
Government's plan could be a breach of its EU treaty obligations

Theresa May reportedly plans to end rights given to EU nationals under freedom of movement rules when she triggers Article 50 next month, with a Government source claiming that otherwise “half of Romania and Bulgaria” might come to the UK before Brexit.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

George W. Bush and John Major sounding statesmanlike
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm going to sleep now
I love you
cJA