Friday 26th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 26th September 2014

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:I try not be too partisan, I like to think I realise there are numbskulls aplenty on Labour's benches too. I also try to realise that not every area in the country is like mine, working class, where now people travel to work rather than it being on their doorstep. In short there are different demographics which wouldn't understand me or I them. But I struggle to understand how people can vote for a bloke like this, goes totally over my head.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/09/a ... on-debate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Much of his own side looked embarrassed at that, tbh.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:I try not be too partisan, I like to think I realise there are numbskulls aplenty on Labour's benches too. I also try to realise that not every area in the country is like mine, working class, where now people travel to work rather than it being on their doorstep. In short there are different demographics which wouldn't understand me or I them. But I struggle to understand how people can vote for a bloke like this, goes totally over my head.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/09/a ... on-debate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bridgen is definitely a moron's moron.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Yeah unbelievable.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Hitler only 'won' the elections after he unleashed terror on the SDP and KDP, set fire to the Reichstag and had his thugs attack and kidnap thousands of opposition MPs, party leaders and organisers. And he managed to get so much popular support because his party was massively funded by Ruhr iron and steel interests who funded his radio stations, his airplanes, his newspapers and his party organisation.

Hitler 'won' because he was the ruling class's choice. But he never actually won a free and fair election. Even after suppressing the two other main parties, the Nazis failed to win a majority and reached only 43% of the votes.

If you have parties that are willing to behave like that and still get the support of the ruling class, then the voting system has little affect on the outcome.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2014/09/2 ... des-purge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dearie me!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Also a reminder that the Daily Mail welcomed Hitler's rise to power and the suppression of opposition and trade unions and the crushing of democracy as 'Mr Hitler's middle class revolution'.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

I'm so disgusted with the Coalition I'd be entirely unsurprised to find that Bridgen was given that comment to jump on. Makes him look like a partisan idiot during a sensible debate, but if it gets repeated in the media...
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

mikems wrote:Also a reminder that the Daily Mail welcomed Hitler's rise to power and the suppression of opposition and trade unions and the crushing of democracy as 'Mr Hitler's middle class revolution'.
Mr Hitler's middle class revolution.
They still use that kind of language these days..
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Kippers order of service, or conference agenda.

I missed the speech on health, bet it was increase the budget by cancelling all overseas aide? Mustn't mention the P word, they've on the road to Westminster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29366275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And what's this awarding of party medals? :toss:
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

mikems wrote:Hitler only 'won' the elections after he unleashed terror on the SDP and KDP, set fire to the Reichstag and had his thugs attack and kidnap thousands of opposition MPs, party leaders and organisers. And he managed to get so much popular support because his party was massively funded by Ruhr iron and steel interests who funded his radio stations, his airplanes, his newspapers and his party organisation.

Hitler 'won' because he was the ruling class's choice. But he never actually won a free and fair election. Even after suppressing the two other main parties, the Nazis failed to win a majority and reached only 43% of the votes.

If you have parties that are willing to behave like that and still get the support of the ruling class, then the voting system has little affect on the outcome.
It depends on your definition of winning and free and fair. By the standards of the day the 3 elections in 1932 were both free and fair,(33 was not) although accompanied with levels of street violence from both sides that would be unacceptable today. The KPD used the same tactics as the nazis in electioneering. However, The Nazis clearly were the most popular party in Germany in 32-33.

The changing historical narrative about Hitler's rise is illuminating, the inclusion of PR as a weakness to Weimar was insisted upon in the National Curriculum by a Tory Education Minister. Politicians speak of a war against the nazis whilst everybody tries to ignore the inconvenience of millions of germans voting for them.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Kippers order of service, or conference agenda.

I missed the speech on health, bet it was increase the budget by cancelling all overseas aide? Mustn't mention the P word, they've on the road to Westminster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29366275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And what's this awarding of party medals? :toss:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Thank you Jack, needed a laugh.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Council staff working flat out to cope with demands of adult social care

The council is having to redesign its services to meet additional responsibilities caused by the Care Act which highlights the need to be able to look after people with long-term conditions in the community

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/health ... ut-7838064

I imagine every council in the country is having the same trouble.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

JackPranker wrote:I'm so disgusted with the Coalition I'd be entirely unsurprised to find that Bridgen was given that comment to jump on. Makes him look like a partisan idiot during a sensible debate, but if it gets repeated in the media...
Not just me then. After Wreathgate nothing this lot does surprises me.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

citizenJA wrote:Thank you, Danesclose, for bringing the following article to my attention.
Cameron’s remark about ‘effing Tories’ hints at what he really thinks
The PR man understands people’s loathing. This is no surprise. His gift is for distraction – he doesn’t actually believe the stuff

But the far larger diversion of the last four years has been more deeply damaging. By the brutal exercise of blackmail – “We got you into this, only we can get you out of it” – the financial sector, entirely responsible for the crash of 2007-8, has been rewarded for its greed even as its countless victims have been punished. The public at large has been ordered to endure a diet of low wages, rising prices, failing public services and job insecurity, while banks and financial institutions have been lavishly subsidised at our expense and refitted to precipitate the next crisis by the same old means.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... lly-thinks
Current government is a thorough disgrace, I've no time for those supporting current government. Desperate attempts at distraction from the bad leadership people have had to endure are just that - desperate.
Thanks for the acknowledgement JA, but I can't remember posting about that article - someone else deserves the praise
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Whilst its laudable that there is an organisation that holds politicians to account for what they say and promise, I do feel its this level of scrutiny that breeds the cardboard "they are all the same" politicians that the media complain of. They will be doing the same to Cameron and Clegg.
Any thoughts?
Fact Check: Do Ed Miliband's Claims Stack Up?
Sky News and the independent fact-checking organisation Full Fact scrutinise the Labour leader's speech to the party's conference
http://news.sky.com/story/1340974/fact- ... s-stack-up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@AngryAsWell -
Sky News and the independent fact-checking organisation Full Fact scrutinise the Labour leader's speech to the party's conference
I didn't appreciate having to wade through their crap to discover in their wordy way, Miliband wasn't telling lies.

No, it's not right to assume lies from Miliband just because current government does nothing but wallow in them.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
JackPranker wrote:I'm so disgusted with the Coalition I'd be entirely unsurprised to find that Bridgen was given that comment to jump on. Makes him look like a partisan idiot during a sensible debate, but if it gets repeated in the media...
I'd be surprised. Cameron's trying to do his 'I am a statesman, honest, I am!' thing. I also think he's terrified of losing Labour votes for military action again, as he's likely to have a backbench rebellion of one sort of another.
You think Cameron is in the loop any more?
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
I'd be surprised. Cameron's trying to do his 'I am a statesman, honest, I am!' thing. I also think he's terrified of losing Labour votes for military action again, as he's likely to have a backbench rebellion of one sort of another.
It's a Malcolm Crosby kind of stunt though.

On another matter, Elvis lives in Peckham. /conspiracytheory
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RobertSnozers wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Whilst its laudable that there is an organisation that holds politicians to account for what they say and promise, I do feel its this level of scrutiny that breeds the cardboard "they are all the same" politicians that the media complain of. They will be doing the same to Cameron and Clegg.
Any thoughts?
http://news.sky.com/story/1340974/fact- ... s-stack-up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I agree that all the main players should be subject to the same levels of scrutiny, but doesn't this particular Fact Check largely bear out Miliband's assertions? As opposed to the highly questionable attitude to statistics that we've seen time and again from the government?
Yes, although they do add riders ( example : So although this claim seems to be correct, these are the only countries that the UK is behind.)
But its more a train of thought I had when reading it. Sort of how are we ever going to get passionate politicians who say what they feel and truly want for this country, when their every word is put under the microscope in this way?
I don't know the answer, but I do know nit picking (example : But not everybody wanted an appointment straight away - 14% of patients didn't have a particular day in mind for an appointment, and 6% wanted an appointment a week or more later) clouds more than clears the important issues we should be talking about which is (in this example) that its harder to get a GP appointment.
As I say I don't know the answer, as we do need honesty in politics, I just wonder if this is the best (or only) way to do it.
(a bit confused here...)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3m
Today's Populus online poll sees little change
Lab 37 (=)
Con 33 (=)
LD 9 (=)
UKIP 13 (+1)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Went to lots of effort on Tuesday to collate the Fact Check information.

Would have been nice for it to have been read !

Here's my post:

http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?p=4465#p4465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

pk1 wrote:Went to lots of effort on Tuesday to collate the Fact Check information.

Here's my post:

http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?p=4465#p4465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I read it, I just didn't comment on it ;)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Spacedone wrote:
pk1 wrote:Went to lots of effort on Tuesday to collate the Fact Check information.

Here's my post:

I read it, I just didn't comment on it ;)
I realise I sound snarky but it was a tad grating to see a discussion over something 3 days after the event & after the information had all been posted on the day !

I did not expect everyone to comment on it, just for it to be read.

I'm bowing out now so please ignore my strop & carry on without me until I've got rid of the fucking black dog that has been hanging over me for so long now.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning...er...afternoon all.

What the bloody hell?

EXCLUSIVE: ‘Queen of trucks’ appointed to new headteacher board

http://academiesweek.co.uk/exclusive-qu ... her-board/

A businesswoman known as the “The Queen of Trucks” has been appointed to one of the new headteacher boards despite never having worked as a teacher, Academies Week can reveal.
Nikki King OBE has joined the headteacher board (HTB) for south-east England and south London after being appointed by regional school commissioner Dominic Herrington.

Ms King is the former managing director of vehicle manufacturer Isuzu Truck UK, and now serves as the company’s honorary chairman. In 2011 she featured in an episode of the Channel 4 series Undercover Boss.

Headteacher boards are part of the government’s new ‘middle tier’ of accountability for academies, with boards supporting each of the eight regional schools commissioners (RSCs). RSCs have a remit to monitor the performance of academies in their regions and approve new academy bids.
:roll:

Of course, business has that unique perspective that experienced HTs need to take note of...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
JackPranker
Committee Member

Post by JackPranker »

In an attempt to leaven the mood somewhat by repeating past glories, please to be finding a picture of Vladimir Putin carrying the Olympic Flame. On a unicorn. In space.

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
MsChin wrote:Morning.
My ‘do not feed the troll’ post on politics live has been modded. Sheesh.
But I expect the post you referred to (another unlinked HSJ article from wotsisface?) is untouched? :wall:
I notice that itself got deleted.

I've been at a school meeting so can't tell whether the mods eventually have got wise as to what he's up to or whether it was the replies that got it removed.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good afternoon.

My internet has been down so sorry if I repeat things already covered - I have only skimmed previous posts from last night and today.

However -

Theresa May has brought the mess that is the Passport Office back under the umbrella of the Home Office. Announced under cover of the Iraq debate\vote?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:Good afternoon.

My internet has been down so sorry if I repeat things already covered - I have only skimmed previous posts from last night and today.

However -

Theresa May has brought the mess that is the Passport Office back under the umbrella of the Home Office. Announced under cover of the Iraq debate\vote?
I might be wrong but didn't Labour call for that to happen just recently?

Edit - ah, it was the Hoe Affairs Select Committee.

Good day to bury bad news then...
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Fri 26 Sep, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Here's my post:

Flippin heck|!

Sorry to have offended!
I got an email from fact check and commented on it here.

I was not commenting on the facts checked, but on if this (nit picking over individual words) was benefiting or harming our class of politicians and turning them into cardboard cut-outs of each other.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I do like the way that the reason for Theodore Agnew stepping down from his chum Lord Nash's academy trust after two months simply makes it look even less believable.

http://academiesweek.co.uk/exclusive-ag ... -2-months/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A spokesman for Future Academies said: “Unfortunately, Mr Agnew has taken the decision to step down from his role at Future Academies to focus on his current work at the DfE. The Trust remains committed to securing the best possible education for all its pupils.”

A spokesperson for the Inspiration Trust said that he resigned because of “excessive work commitments”.
Don't think much of his time management skills if he didn't know two months ago that he couldn't handle another job due to what he was doing then.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just been listening to the contribution of Rory Stewart MP (Conservative) to the Iraq debate.. Did someone mention him upstream?

I could have listened to him for much longer. Intelligent bloke.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Starting to wonder if it's Michael Crick's vocation at the mo to big up UKIP?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have just read that Farage's speech was preceded by clips of him being rude to Europeans? :lol:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PorFavor wrote:I've just been listening to the contribution of Rory Stewart MP (Conservative) to the Iraq debate.. Did someone mention him upstream?

I could have listened to him for much longer. Intelligent bloke.
Agree, at least he knows what he speaking about too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote:
Spacedone wrote: I read it, I just didn't comment on it ;)
I realise I sound snarky but it was a tad grating to see a discussion over something 3 days after the event & after the information had all been posted on the day !

I did not expect everyone to comment on it, just for it to be read.

I'm bowing out now so please ignore my strop & carry on without me until I've got rid of the fucking black dog that has been hanging over me for so long now.
If there's one thing I do miss about the Guardian it's the ability to recommend posts. At least that way you know if anyone's gone to the trouble of reading it, even if no-one replies directly. I read all of the Full Fact tweets but didn't really have anything to say. IMO the discussion above is not to do with the facts checked per se, more to do with the level of scrutiny that politicians utterances are subject to.

Agree. It's a much-missed facility. I used to (mis)use the thanks button here as a "recommend" substitute (and for other purposes - a sort of catch-all) but I don't think it was ideal as a "recommend" substitute.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Marine Accident Investigation Report 24/2014

http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/inv ... 4/ovit.cfm
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

ohsocynical wrote:Marine Accident Investigation Report 24/2014

Indeed. It's bad enough that shipowners crew their vessels with inexperienced and/or poorly qualified people, but for HM Coastguard to do so is disgraceful.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

mikems wrote:Hitler only 'won' the elections after he unleashed terror on the SDP and KDP, set fire to the Reichstag and had his thugs attack and kidnap thousands of opposition MPs, party leaders and organisers. And he managed to get so much popular support because his party was massively funded by Ruhr iron and steel interests who funded his radio stations, his airplanes, his newspapers and his party organisation.

I disagree, My point is you had years of ineffectual governments, which was a side effect of the system. The issue isn't the last election it was the years before it. Temulkars point about the President is a valid one, but my view isn't that PR is entirely responsible, but the electoral system does make a difference in stopping extremism (or aiding it).

There is a reason the Blackshirts didn't break through in the UK, despite the backing of the Daily Mail.
Release the Guardvarks.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I read it PK. :)
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

It was me that mentioned Stewart in the context of his appearance on QT. He went down a bit in my estimation when he went for the Cameron solution to the WLQ, but he was otherwise ok. QT last night: 2 Scots Nats, a Tory, the ever more ridiculous JS-P and ex-Bullingdon Dimbleby. Emily Thornberry had people attacking her from all sides. Still I expect they'll isolate the Tory, Grant Shapps, next week. Not!
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Hobiejoe wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Marine Accident Investigation Report 24/2014

Indeed. It's bad enough that shipowners crew their vessels with inexperienced and/or poorly qualified people, but for HM Coastguard to do so is disgraceful.
Disgraceful but inevitable, given the level of cuts this Government has made (and continues to make) to the Coastguard budget. proportionally higher than the savage cuts being made to the armed forces. They have been warned that these cuts will cost lives, but money is more important than people to this bunch of thugs.

http://coastguardsos.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

frightful_oik wrote:It was me that mentioned Stewart in the context of his appearance on QT. He went down a bit in my estimation when he went for the Cameron solution to the WLQ, but he was otherwise ok. QT last night: 2 Scots Nats, a Tory, the ever more ridiculous JS-P and ex-Bullingdon Dimbleby. Emily Thornberry had people attacking her from all sides. Still I expect they'll isolate the Tory, Grant Shapps, next week. Not!
Ah - thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't see Question Time so I can't proffer an opinion. However, I thought that Rory Stewart made an impressive, informative and interesting contribution today.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

John Rentoul retweeted
Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman · 36s
In a press briefing after his speech, Farage conceded that the party wasn't going to win in Heywood. Post with that and other lines shortly

Fingers crossed...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:John Rentoul retweeted
In a press briefing after his speech, Farage conceded that the party wasn't going to win in Heywood. Post with that and other lines shortly

Fingers crossed...
I expect them to poll well in H&M, perhaps come second. Did I mention that the Tory candidate is the Tory group leader here in Bury. And, yes, he is as big a prick as you might expect. If he's third to UKIP the next full Council will probably be most amusing (it's streamed live if you fancy a laugh).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

AngryAsWell wrote:John Rentoul retweeted

Fingers crossed...
Maybe he has got wind of the byelection poll that is meant to be out very soon? :?:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Danny Blanchflower ‏@D_Blanchflower 3m
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; raised once again projected Labour outright majority to 44 based on current polling much to @dpjhodges discontent LOL

Someone else hates DFH. :o :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Left-wing revolt underway in Ukip

I asked Farage whether this revolt on the left of the right was going to make it into his manifesto. He replied that the manifesto would be written by the party’s NEC, and that those ideas wouldn’t be going into it. But watch out for those voices urging the party to lurch to the left to attract former Labour voters.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... y-in-ukip/

So lots of promises coming Labour voters way. And not a chance in hell of them being kept. What's new?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ohsocynical wrote:Left-wing revolt underway in Ukip

I asked Farage whether this revolt on the left of the right was going to make it into his manifesto. He replied that the manifesto would be written by the party’s NEC, and that those ideas wouldn’t be going into it. But watch out for those voices urging the party to lurch to the left to attract former Labour voters.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... y-in-ukip/

So lots of promises coming Labour voters way. And not a chance in hell of them being kept. What's new?
Flat tax rate, return of grammar schools, abolition of inheritance tax. All on the working class Labour voters wishlist naturally.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@AngryAsWell

Have posted the link in Troll Busters. It's now located above the Daily Politics.

http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a reminder for others - please post anything there that you think provides clear argument or information that may be useful on topics, particularly for the pre-election period.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RobertSnozers wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: If there's one thing I do miss about the Guardian it's the ability to recommend posts. At least that way you know if anyone's gone to the trouble of reading it, even if no-one replies directly. I read all of the Full Fact tweets but didn't really have anything to say. IMO the discussion above is not to do with the facts checked per se, more to do with the level of scrutiny that politicians utterances are subject to.

Agree. It's a much-missed facility. I used to (mis)use the thanks button here as a "recommend" substitute (and for other purposes - a sort of catch-all) but I don't think it was ideal as a "recommend" substitute.
'Thank' is better than nothing, but it doesn't allow that direct link between post and response.
There is a way to directly link the 'Thanks' button to the posts they were clicked on. I will have a look when I get home.