Tuesday 7th March 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 7th March 2017

Post by SpinningHugo »

Best analysis of why there'll be no general election.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/ ... 1104116602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Tue 07 Mar, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Polls same as usual
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... 1763ef6f4a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://egpwallace.files.wordpress.com/ ... g-lato.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
adam wrote:Food inflation doubles in a month as UK shoppers start to feel the pinch
Supermarket inflation doubled last month as shoppers had to pay more for staples such as butter and tea, underlining expectations that household budgets will come under extra pressure in 2017.

Grocery inflation jumped to a near three-year high of 1.4% in the 12 weeks to 26 February, from 0.7% in the 12 weeks to 29 January, according to the consumer consultancy Kantar Worldpanel. The cost of fruit and vegetables – a large proportion of which are imported – also rose.
And this core goods inflation always hits the poorest hardest.
I've notice that grocery prices have gone up a great deal. It's not even single figure pennies at a time. It's 20p here, 50p there and so on. I know I'm a bit of a Luddite but, since barcoding for prices, I don't think people notice as much as they once did. Formerly, I'd get something out of the cupboard and see the price on the sticky label. And then see the new price on the replacement.

Edited - typo
Bad news, this. I've noticed the higher prices. Mr citizen and I are looking for a new wholesale bulk-buying club. It's worth buying food and household supplies in bulk, when possible. It's essential people get high-quality food. It's worth it. People stay healthy and in good condition. I try buying foods grown close-by and in season though it doesn't always work out. Time is precious and what's on the local shelf is sometimes all we'll get.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

SpinningHugo wrote:Best analysis of why there'll be no general election.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/ ... 1104116602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You mean quite apart from the fact that May would have to have her own backbenchers vote against the government in order to trigger said 'snap election'?

Oh...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:The point about David Cameron and tax transparency was that he oversaw the reduction in tax for the top rate. At a time of austerity and we all being supposedly "in it together". If it were revealed he and his front bench were all to be beneficiaries it could have been damaging. Although, to be frank, it's regularly been shown that many Tory frontbenchers are landlords of expensive London properties that have benefited hugely from government efforts to artificially prop up the housing market and that hasn't stopped people voting for the selfish bastards, so it's sometimes difficult to see what will.

Especially when Ed Miliband was regularly attacked for living in an expensive London home, even though he was willing to introduce a mansion tax which would have been against his own personal best interests. Go figure.
The outrageous double-standards and irrationality bother me a lot. How do we succeed under these conditions?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Best analysis of why there'll be no general election.

You mean quite apart from the fact that May would have to have her own backbenchers vote against the government in order to trigger said 'snap election'?

Oh...

Yes, we disagree about that. I think that is entirely trivial.

oh, indeed.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Wu Ming‏ @twlldun 7h7 hours ago
More
If grammar schools are so good, how come nobody who attended one can differentiate between personal experience and statistical evidence?
:D

Frothing right 'evidence' on this subject seems to be:

1. Well, it worked for me.
2. Because I said so!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Emergency cash for social care in the budget is no reason to celebrate
David Brindle
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#The DWP Minister just confirmed to me that once a parent states a young person can't live at home they will be entitled to housing support.

WTAF?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:#The DWP Minister just confirmed to me that once a parent states a young person can't live at home they will be entitled to housing support.

WTAF?

Can you elaborate, please?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cuts to 18-21 HB

1.Why introduce
2.What about breakdown in relationship
3.Parents disagree with can't despite child thinking different-have to prove to DWP why inappropriate.

Farcical and dangerous.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Education policy. What a boon it isn't to have Abbott sat there in one of the top jobs.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://labourlist.org/2017/03/lucy-powe ... -the-many/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lucy Powell: Grammar schools are education for the elite, not the many
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://labourlist.org/2017/03/mancheste ... bour-seat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Manchester Gorton: The runners and riders hoping for a heartland Labour seat
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

He just isn't suited to the job, poor sod

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03 ... using-say/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know dealing with the media is maddening, but it is his job to keep his cool.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Is the scargill "I feel pure" quote true?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/03/o- ... pposition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Scargill is not particularly pro-Corbyn, in fact. Certainly that's the impression the Twitter account in his name gives, anyway.

And if you are going to troll us SH, try using a slightly less risible source than the Torygraph ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Lords debate on a Conservative peer's amendment for a meaningful Parliament vote.

Hope Labour support it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I thought this was one of the two they had pledged to back?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Scargill is not particularly pro-Corbyn, in fact. Certainly that's the impression the Twitter account in his name gives, anyway.

And if you are going to troll us SH, try using a slightly less risible source than the Torygraph ;)
Scargill's very attached to coal, which isn't really Corbyn's thing, despite his aside that earned him a bit of stick.

John Monks would probably confirm the quote as genuine or not. He's one of the Labour Brexit rebels in the Lords. Went on to EFTU after the TUC. Might be a bit past it now, but Labour could have used him much better before.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Scargill is not particularly pro-Corbyn, in fact. Certainly that's the impression the Twitter account in his name gives, anyway.

I watched it live & my remark to a friend was that he needs to *quickly* learn how to keep his temper in check. He's so quick to flare up & as a consequence, any good stuff he might have said is forgotten.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I thought this was one of the two they had pledged to back?
Ah, that's good news if so.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Conservative Lords talking in terms of dictatorship. Interesting times.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:

I watched it live & my remark to a friend was that he needs to *quickly* learn how to keep his temper in check. He's so quick to flare up & as a consequence, any good stuff he might have said is forgotten.
I don't see why he can't give a straighter answer really. There's no general election tomorrow anyway.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:Conservative Lords talking in terms of dictatorship. Interesting times.
Douglas Hogg? His Dad came up with the phrase "elective dictatorship".
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
pk1 wrote:

I don't see why he can't give a straighter answer really. There's no general election tomorrow anyway.

Pschological. He thinks they're trying to catch him out..

He must have had some media training by now, but he is hopeless.

If you hate the media and dealing with them, leader of the opposition is not the job for you.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I don't think he's particularly evasive or bad, but he doesn't always look particularly "straight talking and honest". That was another gift to the government.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Lord Lawson, the Conservative former chancellor, says the very act of invoking article 50 will lead to Brexit two years later. That is what the supreme court decided.
That's complete rubbish, isn't it?
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Peers in the House of Lords have voted down calls for a second referendum on the terms of the final Brexit deal by an overwhelming majority.
Labour's leader in the Lords, Baroness Smith of Basildon, said her party could not support the amendment and would abstain in the vote. She said there had been “no significant public demand for a second referendum” and no significant shift in public opinion about leaving the EU.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 16136.html
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

There's another motion being debated at the moment, Eric.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nice to see Lord Mackay of Clashfern. What he makes of his Conservative successors as Lord Chancellor, God only knows.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Jessica Elgot‏, political reporter at the Guardian has been tweeting:

- Jackie Walker has been referred for disciplinary action by NEC disputes committee for her Holocaust Memorial Day comments.

- Paul Davis, Wallasey CLP's vice chair has also been referred for incidents around Angela Eagle's leadership bid.

- Marc Wadsworth, the Momentum activist who confronted Ruth Smeeth at the launch of the Chakrabarti inquiry is also facing disciplinary panel. (Anyone remember the denials that he was even a Momentum member ?)

- Jackie Walker et al will have their cases heard by Labour NCC, a quasi-judicial body which can rule on expulsion from the party.

The names of those people who sit Labour's NCC are not public, but it's a serious business - there are defence and prosecution barristers

- Labour NEC on Wallasey CLP - currently suspended. The local party ordered to hold new elections for positions. Meetings will be supervised.

- Ken Livingstone's case had already been referred to NCC.

No date has been set for these hearings yet.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Lord Hill, the Conservative former European commissioner, tells Hogg than anything that complicates the Brexit negotiation will not help.

And he says that having a third party, like parliament, involved in a negotiation might help if the third party is pushing for a tougher solution. That could help the government get what it wants. But in this case, if parliament has the final say, EU leaders will see it as pushing for a softer solution, and so that would undermine the government’s position.
Don't see this really.

I think May could say "look, you want this off your back? I've got to get this through Parliament. Give me a bit more".
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Lord Bridges of Headley, the Brexit minister, is winding up for the government.

He says peers have now spent 44 hours debating the 137-word bill.

He says Britain will leave the EU, everything the government does will be in the national interest, and parliamentary sovereignty is key.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

With apologies for distressing SpinningHugo (were he here, but he's not . . . )
Government defeats attempt to restart Dubs scheme

Amendment aimed at revealing capacity of English councils to take lone refugee children is voted down to cries of ‘shame’ (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ubs-scheme
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Lord Lawson, the Conservative former chancellor, says the very act of invoking article 50 will lead to Brexit two years later. That is what the supreme court decided.
That's complete rubbish, isn't it?

Nonsense of course. Reversibility was not determined as not in issue.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Nice to see Lord Mackay of Clashfern. What he makes of his Conservative successors as Lord Chancellor, God only knows.

Probably for the best that we don't have a government appointee sitting in our ultimate appellate court any longer, TBF.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oops.

Leaked tape of Surrey's council tax government 'deal'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-39198308
The BBC has obtained a leaked recording of a council leader saying he struck a deal with the government before scrapping a 15% council tax hike.

The Prime Minister has repeatedly denied Surrey has been given what Labour calls "a sweetheart deal".

But on the recording, Councillor David Hodge said he had written government assurances and recordings of talks.

Mr Hodge said "every leader... will always have these conversations to try and get a better deal".
The government has been approached for a comment.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Peers vote to give parliament veto over final Brexit outcome

Peers have voted by 366 votes to 268 votes, a majority of 98, for parliament to have to agree outcome of Brexit talks - even if there is no deal.
Now then.

The ambush might be on in the Commons.

This is better by Labour. And by Corbyn, I need to be fair about that. He'd have OKed it.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Tue 07 Mar, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oops.

The BBC has obtained a leaked recording of a council leader saying he struck a deal with the government before scrapping a 15% council tax hike.

The Prime Minister has repeatedly denied Surrey has been given what Labour calls "a sweetheart deal".

But on the recording, Councillor David Hodge said he had written government assurances and recordings of talks.

Mr Hodge said "every leader... will always have these conversations to try and get a better deal".
Any lying in Parliament by May?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Nice to see Lord Mackay of Clashfern. What he makes of his Conservative successors as Lord Chancellor, God only knows.

Probably for the best that we don't have a government appointee sitting in our ultimate appellate court any longer, TBF.
Indeed.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Oops.

Any lying in Parliament by May?
Well, if her pants are on fire (as, indeed, they should be) let's hope they're those awful check\plaid things. I can do without seeing them again any time soon.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Theresa May, yesterday.

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

On trolling:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 16126.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Norwegian public broadcaster NRK, for example, is trialling a system that makes people answer a question about the article before they’re allowed to comment, thus ensuring any potential trolls are at least informed.
The study concluded that the reason someone trolls is based on two factors: the person’s mood and the tone of other comments.
And, of course, getting paid for it: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/alt-r ... -g8bxxghh8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Latest from the Donaeld:
Donaeld The Unready‏ @donaeldunready 20h20 hours ago
More
Just gotta pay tribute to all those Frisian immigrants coming over in the slaver longships. You guys are great, good work. More work 4 less.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Exclusive: Charities warn ‘toxic language’ of Brexit debate is to blame for increases as high as 216 per cent
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 15356.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kerry Moscogiuri, Amnesty International UK’s campaigns director, told The Independent: “If accurate, these figures are deeply worrying, and they bear out our initial concerns that divisive political campaigning last summer gave licence to the expression of discriminatory views in a way we haven’t seen for decades.
While Stephen Hawking ponders on human aggression:
“Since civilisation began, aggression has been useful in as much as it has definite survival advantages,” he said. “It is hardwired into our genes by Darwinian evolution. Now, however, technology has advanced at such a pace that this aggression may destroy us all by nuclear or biological war. We need to control this inherited instinct by our logic and reason.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... our-resign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.vogue.co.uk/gallery/theresa- ... n-pictures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theresa May a life in pictures.

Shudder.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

More on the dangers of social media.
One of the two PricewaterhouseCoopers accountants who were in charge of Academy Awards procedure has been blamed for the Best Picture blunder, because he was reportedly posting backstage photos of the ceremony to his Twitter page.
http://www.euronews.com/2017/02/28/twee ... rs-blunder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.vogue.co.uk/gallery/theresa- ... n-pictures
Theresa May a life in pictures.

Shudder.
From the article -
When it was announced she would be our new prime minister, when she chose navy again, in the shape of a zip-up skirt suit with upturned collar
A skirt with an upturned collar? I missed that one.

Edited to add -

It seems that I also missed the word "suit". Oh, well . . .