Wednesday 8th March 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 8th March 2017

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I wonder if it might have been better if the Surrey story broke on another day. Not just the Budget, but PMQs- could we have had Javid hauled in for an UQ otherwise?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good chance it will still be a story when the Budget kerfuffle dies down. But of course, that depends significantly on how much the media report it (cf my post above)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bma.org.uk/news/media-centr ... ing-budget" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BMA response
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

It could get some legs, especially in local press. Plenty of cuts in other LAs.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Is it just me or is this soft drinks levy never going to happen?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

What's the typical format for voting through the budget? Plain sailing, opposed, unopposed?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PARLY‏ @ParlyApp

Chancellor shouts "rubbish" as @andyburnhammp says #waspi women weren't properly informed about changes to state pension age #Budget2017

Anyone see that?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:What's the typical format for voting through the budget? Plain sailing, opposed, unopposed?
Very rare to be defeated on a core part of it. Happened with VAT on fuel under Major.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:What's the typical format for voting through the budget? Plain sailing, opposed, unopposed?
Very rare to be defeated on a core part of it. Happened with VAT on fuel under Major.
Do the opposition trad abstain?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Amazing what you can get away with when you have virtually the entire media in your pocket, in other words.

This isn't going to change, either. The left needs a strategy to at least neutralise it ASAP, and it is now clear that social media is not enough.
Can't say that I ever thought that it (social media) would be enough.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Don't think so. It's just unusual to have a small majority and to fail to address backbench concerns before it gets voted on.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Almost never (doing so on the summer 2015 Budget was reportedly one of Chris Leslie's "bright ideas" - it seems even Harman thought that was too craven)
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

Sad man that I am I have been watching our illustrious and oh so professional media responding to this budget.

I have one question.

When did the response of the leader of the opposition become worthy of more discussion and implied criticism than the governing party breaking a clear manifesto commitment?

You may (justifiably) argue that Corbyn missed a trick but why (rhetorical question) has our oh so impartial media attempted for that to become the story rather than what should be the real issue being discussed.

I don't think you need to be a genius to work that out!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... estigators" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The British government faces a €2bn (£1.7bn) fine for negligence that allowed criminal gangs to flood European black markets with illegal Chinese goods, EU anti-fraud investigators have said.

The European anti-fraud office (known as Olaf from its French name, Office de Lutte Anti-Fraude) has recommended the UK pay €1.98bn into the EU budget to compensate for lost customs duties, as a result of a failure by British customs officials to crack down on criminal gangs using fake invoices and making false claims about the value of clothes and shoes imported from China.
Amazon's riddled with fake/substandard crap as well. We've gone backwards on quality control. I fear Brexit will simply be seen as an opportunity to dump a lot of safety/quality standards for imported goods
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Away from HAMMOND'S AMAZINGLY BRILLIANT JOKES and May's EVEN MORE AMAZING LAUGH, a welcome hint from McDonnell that Lewis and indeed other A50 resignees might be back on the front bench soon. Maybe this is part of Labour moving to a less "pro-Brexit" position now that UKIP has been "seen off"?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Peter Walker‏Verified account
@peterwalker99

Following
More
Tory MP Lucy Frazer has just cited "vinyl" among defunct, vanished technologies. She needs a hipster-friendly adviser.
:lol:

Those 50-odd that I've bought in the last 12 months must be a figment of my imagination then...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Away from HAMMOND'S AMAZINGLY BRILLIANT JOKES and May's EVEN MORE AMAZING LAUGH, a welcome hint from McDonnell that Lewis and indeed other A50 resignees might be back on the front bench soon. Maybe this is part of Labour moving to a less "pro-Brexit" position now that UKIP has been "seen off"?
I hope somebody has been speaking to John Curtice.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... estigators
The British government faces a €2bn (£1.7bn) fine for negligence that allowed criminal gangs to flood European black markets with illegal Chinese goods, EU anti-fraud investigators have said.

The European anti-fraud office (known as Olaf from its French name, Office de Lutte Anti-Fraude) has recommended the UK pay €1.98bn into the EU budget to compensate for lost customs duties, as a result of a failure by British customs officials to crack down on criminal gangs using fake invoices and making false claims about the value of clothes and shoes imported from China.
Amazon's riddled with fake/substandard crap as well. We've gone backwards on quality control. I fear Brexit will simply be seen as an opportunity to dump a lot of safety/quality standards for imported goods
It could be. Going to be a proper lobby-fest if it's sector by sector.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Away from HAMMOND'S AMAZINGLY BRILLIANT JOKES and May's EVEN MORE AMAZING LAUGH, a welcome hint from McDonnell that Lewis and indeed other A50 resignees might be back on the front bench soon. Maybe this is part of Labour moving to a less "pro-Brexit" position now that UKIP has been "seen off"?
I hope somebody has been speaking to John Curtice.
I know we don't agree on this, but isn't it possible there was always a plan along these lines - A50 had to be backed, even if it was painful for some, because it emphasised to people that Labour respected the referendum result and deprived UKIP of what might have been their best chance of a revival; the "Labour are arrogant out of touch elitists who have contempt for what YOU, the people, decided" card. With that party now near to total implosion following staking everything on Nuttall winning in Stoke and not seeing that come off, the line can change to "we oppose a hard Brexit for which there is no mandate". This also explains why the Labour lords backed the two amendments they did - it isn't sensibly possible to portray those as "conspiring to ignore/reverse the referendum result" (a few diehards are trying, but they just sound daft)

Starmer also on good form again after his recent wobble, it seems.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I thought that, Anatoly, when they helped defeat the government yesterday. But it did serious damage, and Stoke looks a bit Pyrrhic from here.

But looks better than it did, and I am encouraged.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://breaking911.com/hawaii-sues-bloc ... nge-order/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hawaii Sues to Block Trump Travel Ban; First Challenge to Order
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Excellent poster on another board observes.
Am I the only one who thinks that this discretionary fund for business rates relief is going to lead to a huge wave of council corruption scandals a few years down the line?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Did we have this yesterday?

Another winner from the Comms team.

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hadn't seen this.

Deficit to rise by £7bn next year.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Hadn't seen this.

Yes, that's what the 3 ticks, one cross graphic indicated. They should be constantly hammered on that.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1581597 ... l-with-the" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour Press
More evidence of the Tories secret deal with the leadership of Surrey County Council - Teresa Pearce MP
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Rowson on Philip Hammond's Budget
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... f-employed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philip Hammond’s budget – our writers give their views
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2017/03/bu ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Budget2017: Zero out of four

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2017/03/bu ... x-changes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2017/03/bu ... -services/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Our analysis shows that using the government’s preferred GDP deflator measure of inflation, NHS funding per head in England will see zero real terms growth between 2015/16 and 2019/20. If we control for the more accurate health service inflation figure used by the government’s NHS regulator, we find health spending per head actually decreases by 2.6 per cent over this period. Even in cash terms there is zero growth in 2018/19 and just 0.3 per cent in 2019/20. "
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2017/03/freedom/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#Budget2017: Pensions freedom liberates cash straight into the Treasury

"Paperwork released with the Budget has revealed what an astonishing short-term money spinner so-called “pensions freedom” has been for the Treasury – and hinted at what a disaster it might prove for our ability to provide for old age."

"There is a huge amount of behavioural economics evidence about why we are not very good at making decisions about pensions. We underestimate average life expectancy and our chances of living longer than that. We do not understand the effects of compounding inflation. We do not know how to balance the benefits of future income against spending today, and tend to favour the latter.

So if the pension system is to properly serve savers we have some hard thinking to do about whether we need new products or even new institutions. We need to understand the choices the typical retiree wants to make and how we can set up structures that help them make sensible choices.

In the meantime, money saved for decades is flowing out of the pensions system, and much of it is heading straight for the Treasury."
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 08 Mar, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Grammar school asks parents to help pay off £100,000 deficit

Head at St Michael’s in Barnet, north London, says he is ‘terribly embarrassed’ but ‘there’s nothing left to cut’ (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... els-barnet
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Follow Peter Henley on twitter,for Surrey updates.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/b ... 5ji8f9wwmi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Budget 2017: 10 Bits Of Bad News Buried By Philip Hammond
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

#Govt defeat as Peers vote 201-186 to support cross party, Labour backed amendt to #HEBill re: new providers & degree awarding powers
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

International Women's day got mentioned in PMQs,
but strangely quiet on 1917.
;)

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/08/europ ... ars-putin/
One hundred years ago on Wednesday, a food shortage in Russia triggered riots on the streets of the capital Petrograd and kicked off the Russian Revolution, a chain of events that would change the course of world history.
But those very same streets in what is now St. Petersburg have been quiet all week -- there are no plans for the kind of parade or flyby put on for World War II commemorations, and certainly no president around to pay his respects to the fallen.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Even the front page of the telegraph online is hammering Hammond on breaking manifesto promises.

Breaking key election pledge - repeatedly promised they would not raise NI - the 20 times the Tories tweeted promising not to raise NI
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I would add that, in using the budget speech to repeatedly sneer derisively at the opposition and at a small but reasonable proportion of the population who identify with them, Hammond has managed to do the unthinkable and make me hate the government even more.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Hadn't seen this.

Yes, that's what the 3 ticks, one cross graphic indicated. They should be constantly hammered on that.
Ah right. They certainly should.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

adam wrote:Even the front page of the telegraph online is hammering Hammond on breaking manifesto promises.

Breaking key election pledge - repeatedly promised they would not raise NI - the 20 times the Tories tweeted promising not to raise NI
Are they after him as being soft on Brexit? They'll want Gove in his job.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
adam wrote:Even the front page of the telegraph online is hammering Hammond on breaking manifesto promises.

Are they after him as being soft on Brexit? They'll want Gove in his job.
That seems off the radar - he's taxing success and opportunity and victimising the self-employed.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:I would add that, in using the budget speech to repeatedly sneer derisively at the opposition and at a small but reasonable proportion of the population who identify with them, Hammond has managed to do the unthinkable and make me hate the government even more.
Indeed. Rude, ugly and small.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... challenges" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philip Hammond's budget is a long way from tackling future challenges
Larry Elliott
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/heal ... share&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Millions risk losing health insurance in Republican plans,analysts say.

"World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Ever the optimist.

No doubt Ed Miliband and all the other refuseniks will also be serving soon as well, as repeatedly rumoured, and the pool won't be just Jeremy, John, the Campaign Group, and a few odds and sods.

The Labour frontbench is comically bad.

As for media bias, i don't really get why anyone is interested in what Labour thinks about the budget. It was mainly quite dull, with the NI thing rather sensible.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://blogs.bath.ac.uk/iprblog/2017/03 ... re-doomed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is reform of social care doomed
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ever the fake.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

To be fair,it was amazing how many people thought a 400 baht Rolex watch bought in a Bankok market was the genuine article.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ah. Mr H.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'