Thursday 9th March 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 9th March 2017

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:That seems like fair comment.

So what should Labour do?
Point out that the Tories have driven a coach and horses through *their* promises, of course. That's what the politics demands.

And I'm not as sold on the "fairness" of this measure as some - a lot of the "self employed" are distinctly poor and insecure these days (partly as a result of govt policy)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 19801.html
Donald Trump is “dangerous” and drastic steps must be taken to protect the public from him, two leading psychiatrists have warned.

The President’s erratic behaviour, including “repeated failure to distinguish between reality and fantasy” and “paranoid claims of conspiracy”, cast doubt over his ability to react rationally in a crisis, they said.
This would need to be a minimum requirement for the job really.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yes, the broken promise is a fair point. Corbyn made the insecurity point in the budget, albeit garbled. There's a lot in that. But middle class tax rises are going to be needed, and you might as well let the other side bring them in and take the heat.

Maybe start the rise higher up or something? That might bypass the (employer enfored) bogus self-employment?

I know I always say this, but call it "Tory Hard Brexit NI" rise.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Sion Simon, the Midlands City Mayor candidate, is going hard against it. 145,000 self-employed in his region, he reckons.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 19801.html
Donald Trump is “dangerous” and drastic steps must be taken to protect the public from him, two leading psychiatrists have warned.

The President’s erratic behaviour, including “repeated failure to distinguish between reality and fantasy” and “paranoid claims of conspiracy”, cast doubt over his ability to react rationally in a crisis, they said.
This would need to be a minimum requirement for the job really.
Who let that kook in?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Sion Simon, the Midlands City Mayor candidate, is going hard against it. 145,000 self-employed in his region, he reckons.
I like him a lot. He's an MEP for the region.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Sion Simon, the Midlands City Mayor candidate, is going hard against it. 145,000 self-employed in his region, he reckons.
Get the impression between the regular referencing of the Midlands in PMQs (Fabricant this week), the Northern Powerhouse being ditched to cover the Midlands and Hammond making jaunts there that the Tories are targeting this mayoralty.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -police-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Miners' strike files suggest 'hints of political direction' of police
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... s-scrapped" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rules stopping MPs helping benefit claimants to be scrapped
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/issues ... daily_news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Lewis: Why do we value earnings less than wealth
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anybody who doesn't yet look at the Simon Hedges twitter account, should do so. It really is one of the best out there.

(for the hard of thinking, btw - its a parody :) )
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:
Get the impression between the regular referencing of the Midlands in PMQs (Fabricant this week), the Northern Powerhouse being ditched to cover the Midlands and Hammond making jaunts there that the Tories are targeting this mayoralty.
Is there any update on the Sion Simon\Unite funding\ leadership election thingy? I haven't been able to find anything but it might be a bit soon yet.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:
It would be good PR for them, like when they win seats in Wales. "Everybody knows" Labour should win by a mile etc.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tories winning it is a long shot even now, but Simon is (to put it kindly) somewhat Marmite-y.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I like the look of these region things, and am glad Osborne drove them through. Now, if only other ministers would align stuff like police forces, education authorities/commissioners etc, we could get somewhere.

Cambridge/Peterborough has a Tory calling for an underground railway in Cambridge, ridiculously.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hi PK, (and other lovely peeps)
Have just been sitting with a cup of tea after an afternoon outside and saw your lovely message when I read today's thread. Hope things are ok with you all.

Have been not bothering much with what's happening for several reasons.

Our new car finally arrived, but our plans to have some trips and time away have come to naught
as my husband's had a bleed behind his eye. He had some vision loss in one eye and still can't see clearly.
We don't yet know if he's got a retinal tear and will need an op, or laser treatment to zap the detritus as the consultant can't yet actually see what's at the root of the problem because blood is still obscuring the area. There's also the issue of what caused it.
Another appointment on Monday will hopefully provide answers. Or not.

The Welsh NHS, as it was when I was unwell last year, has come up trumps again.
Carmarthen hospital was heaving with patients, literally every waiting room full.
But the atmosphere was fantastic, friendly, calm respectful staff, and patients and relatives cheery and good humoured. Seemed to be 'we're all in it together' sort of camaraderie, and an understanding that staff were working as hard and fast as they could.

I'm having to do all the driving, and longer distances, which I'm not used to, in a new car which I'm also not used to - the gears are very different from the old car and it's like learning to drive again, and that's set off my ocular migraines again so have reduced laptop use as the screen exacerbates them.

Apart from that things are very good for me :lol:

Doesn't look like things have changed much in the political world.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hi YahYah!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hi Tubs. :D
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@yahyah

Wotcha!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

We want more Syrian refugees: council offers exceed official UK pledge of 20,000

Local authorities have offered almost 22,000 places, with councils increasing pledges after being overwhelmed by public support

Theresa May is under pressure to increase the number of Syrian refugees offered asylum in Britain as local authorities say they can take in more than the government’s offer of 20,000 spaces. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... e-of-20000
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@yahyah
Lovely to read you!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.scope.org.uk/press-releases ... rce=Direct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scope responds to new PIP quaterly tribunal stats
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Hello there yahyah :)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ouch.
Faisal Islam‏Verified account @faisalislam Mar 8
DCLG Local Government budget (form which social care funded): £8.2bn this year (incl extra £1.2) to £6.5bn, £5.5bn and then £5.4bn in 19/20
I suppose you add in some council tax to that, but that's terrifying.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Kevin Schofield‏Verified @PolhomeEditor
Another departure from Jeremy Corbyn's office, I hear. Head of Economic Policy Mike Hatchett leaves tomorrow after barely a year in the job.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Evening All

I’m missing this place. I’ve happily joined in Ephemerid’s community and it’s lovely to see old friends there.

But I realise it doesn’t solve my basic problem, which is that I want to be able to post my carefully considered political views in public without being made to feel like an idiot. I realise I’m still scared posting over there. Or anywhere.

If I feel like this I worry that others do too. Where is the space for nuanced views on the Labour leadership? And on Labour’s Brexit policies? Is there really no room on the internet to explore these ideas without it feeling heretic? Would it be possible for FTN to make itself a safe space again? Where we disagree but listen with respect to each other? Where we don’t put words in each others’ mouths?

Any thoughts? Love to you all, Paul ;-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I can't really offer much advice beyond stating being an idiot,I don't find a particular hindrance.Maybe imagine,as I try to do ,whatever the tone of posts may suggest,everybody is dressed in a pink dressing gown with a tea cosy on their head and speaking in the voice of Frankie Howard,like I do.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I don't get many visitors,for some reason.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@HindleA

Quite brilliant responses. You have made my evening. Thank you :twisted:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

So instead of starting my posts IMHO, I go instead with AFHR (as Frankie Howard reincarnate)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Evening All

I’m missing this place. I’ve happily joined in Ephemerid’s community and it’s lovely to see old friends there.

But I realise it doesn’t solve my basic problem, which is that I want to be able to post my carefully considered political views in public without being made to feel like an idiot. I realise I’m still scared posting over there. Or anywhere.

If I feel like this I worry that others do too. Where is the space for nuanced views on the Labour leadership? And on Labour’s Brexit policies? Is there really no room on the internet to explore these ideas without it feeling heretic? Would it be possible for FTN to make itself a safe space again? Where we disagree but listen with respect to each other? Where we don’t put words in each others’ mouths?

Post here!

I'm more onside with Labour after the Lords vote the other night. If that helps.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I think I did try Dick Emery on poor Hugo a few weeks back ;-)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I think I did try Dick Emery on poor Hugo a few weeks back ;-)
That's not even been legal for long! It's still not medically recommended.

Edited to add - Missus.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

May kicks NI change into the long grass of the autumn.
Theresa May robustly defends controversial increase in national insurance but says legislation will not be introduced until autumn after MPs raise concerns
I still believe in a town called Hope
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@PaulfromYorkshire

I didn't vote for Jeremy Corbyn either time but respected the outcome of the first vote. I didn't blame him for "Brexit" but don't like how he's dealing with it. I was prepared to give him a bit of time. That time has now run out. No replacement leader is obvious. I consider myself left wing on most issues. That's my position.

Does that help you at all?

Keep posting!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Post here!

I'm more onside with Labour after the Lords vote the other night. If that helps.
Thank you and I'm glad ;-) But Tubby I understand your views and I believe you know my positions. That's not been my problem. It's when I explain at length, probably tediously so, why I hold my views on the Labour leadership and on Brexit and then get labelled by certain people as, essentially, a Corbynista or a Brexiteer. I've felt like it's heretic to even criticise the EU as it currently exists, despite so wanting it to succeed. I've felt like calling for unity in Labour, which by necessity means including Corbyn, makes me a rabid left winger.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:@PaulfromYorkshire

I didn't vote for Jeremy Corbyn either time but respected the outcome of the first vote. I didn't blame him for "Brexit" but don't like how he's dealing with it. I was prepared to give him a bit of time. That time has now run out. No replacement leader is obvious. I consider myself left wing on most issues. That's my position.

Does that help you at all?

Keep posting!
Thanks PF. That you hold these views makes me take them ever more seriously, which is what FTN should be about.

I think the fundamental problem is, as you say so succinctly, that "no replacement leader is obvious". In the absence of evidence that Corbyn has had all his potential opponents assassinated (titter ye not!), this seems to me to be a party problem rather than a failing of the leadership. I've said this many times, yet some posters still treat me as an unabashed Jezza supporter. Which as you well know because you listen to people, I am not.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

adam wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I think I did try Dick Emery on poor Hugo a few weeks back ;-)
That's not even been legal for long! It's still not medically recommended.

Edited to add - Missus.
Ooh you are awful...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I've felt like it's heretic to even criticise the EU as it currently exists, despite so wanting it to succeed.
It's lovely to see you.

Here's something on that subject, I think it's been picked up by the mainstream press now, a long and shocking account of Greek corruption and incompetence.
https://www.newsdeeply.com/refugees/art ... -in-greece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The really shocking part is the end.
As a Greek living and working in Paris, Dimitris Christopoulos, who heads the International Federation of Human Rights, one of the world’s oldest rights groups, has seen both sides of the issue up close. He believes the Greek government has used the mess to shield itself from the possible mass return of failed asylum seekers from elsewhere in the E.U. The E.C. and a number of member states are keen to resume the so-called Dublin Regulation from March onward. Christopoulos is also clear that far from weakening Mouzalas’ position with Brussels, the suffering and waste in Greece won him the “absolute support of the commission.”

“The Greek administrative chaos is the best deterrence” to others hoping to reach Europe, says Christopoulos. “It sends the message that Greece is a mess so don’t come this way.”
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hi Paul - thanks for this. I have been thinking about this for some time, hoping that we can do exactly as you propose, and wondering how we can go about it. I know that I have misunderstood some posts in the past, and know (from some responses to me) that sometimes I have been completely misunderstood. On other occasions of course I have just been a get, but old habits die hard.

I do think this is intrinsically difficult. Face to face you get to read expressions, hear tones, and consider how to put things so as to avoid inducing tears/receiving a punch in the head. Online we get none of this, and the red mist can suddenly descend. But if we can't make it work here, then where can we?

Have suggested a few things in the past which boil down to:

READING
1) if you think someone's a troll then don't feed them, but accept that one man's troll is another man's lost soul. The only alternative is banning people and on the whole how can you really draw that line?
2) very occasional posts that are clearly just offensive or deliberate stirring can be removed on serious justified request if mod agrees
3) if something makes you, er, seethe, see if there are other tones you might read it in that might at least alter the seethe level

WRITING
4) imagine that you are actually talking to someone AND/OR draft before you post - particularly if you are a) seething or b) surrounded by red mist

CLARIFICATION
5) ideally develop a process for seeking clarification (white flag approach)

(when I say "you", I might add, I mean "one")

Am most keen to read other views and am often influenced by people posting here. Am sure that fundamentally our views are generally more aligned than not, and it's important, in general, particularly in this new barking mad world, that we can discuss our smallish differences without losing it.

Having said all that of course, even face to face I struggle to communicate without unintentionally pissing people off.
It's a gift. And a curse.

Mostly a curse.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

You've put it very well, Paul. Maybe some of us should focus more positive on what can be done now.

I think the "kitchen cabinet", "inner sanctum" or whatever isn't really working. They just look like the last people in the bunker. Starmer could be brought right in there.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I've felt like it's heretic to even criticise the EU as it currently exists, despite so wanting it to succeed.
It's lovely to see you.

Here's something on that subject, I think it's been picked up by the mainstream press now, a long and shocking account of Greek corruption and incompetence.
https://www.newsdeeply.com/refugees/art ... -in-greece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As a Greek living and working in Paris, Dimitris Christopoulos, who heads the International Federation of Human Rights, one of the world’s oldest rights groups, has seen both sides of the issue up close. He believes the Greek government has used the mess to shield itself from the possible mass return of failed asylum seekers from elsewhere in the E.U. The E.C. and a number of member states are keen to resume the so-called Dublin Regulation from March onward. Christopoulos is also clear that far from weakening Mouzalas’ position with Brussels, the suffering and waste in Greece won him the “absolute support of the commission.”

“The Greek administrative chaos is the best deterrence” to others hoping to reach Europe, says Christopoulos. “It sends the message that Greece is a mess so don’t come this way.”
Well indeed.

Can't we hope for a better EU?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Thanks for signing the call for MPs to protect us from a damaging hard Brexit.

Here's what you can do next:

1. Write to your own MP expressing your concerns -- we have a simple tool with everything you need right here:
https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/br ... c/?tyYehbb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. Forward the email below to encourage friends and family to join the Brexit rebellion -- let's make this massive!

--------

Dear friends,

This is amazing -- just a few weeks ago, the idea of our MPs having a real say on Brexit looked dead in the water. But now the House of Lords has demanded a vote on the final deal, and for the first time, there’s real hope on Brexit!

The Commons will vote next week on whether to accept the Lords’ change to the Brexit Bill, and it’s crucial that our MPs defend our democracy! But Theresa May will be whipping them hard to give the government carte blanche, and MPs will only take a stand if they know the public back them.

It's literally down to us! Join the call for MPs to support a meaningful vote on Brexit, and we’ll deliver our voices with a mobile billboard outside Parliament on the day of the vote! Sign now:

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/br ... dd670034a4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The government has to act on the referendum and start talks. But the narrow result on a simple Remain/Leave question does not give Theresa May, David Davis, Boris Johnson and Liam Fox the right to determine our relationships with our neighbours by themselves.

The Brexit-at-any-cost brigade are drowning out sensible discussion about what Britain can get from the EU talks. The referendum wasn't our last word -- this is a time for more and better democracy.

Right now MPs are discussing whether to support changing the ultra-short government bill that will trigger Article 50 talks to ensure they have the power they need to protect Britain from a bad Brexit. It's time to have our say.

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/br ... dd670034a4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The mother of parliaments could be about to sign away its influence on Brexit -- so let’s give MPs the backing they need to stand strong!

With hope and determination,
Bert, Alex, Meredith, Spyro, Fatima and the rest of the Avaaz team
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That doesn't seem all that plausible. Greece's priority is getting the big money debt off its back, and to do that it must look far less like a mess.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinyclanger2 wrote:

Hi Paul - thanks for this. I have been thinking about this for some time, hoping that we can do exactly as you propose, and wondering how we can go about it. I know that I have misunderstood some posts in the past, and know (from some responses to me) that sometimes I have been completely misunderstood. On other occasions of course I have just been a get, but old habits die hard.

I do think this is intrinsically difficult. Face to face you get to read expressions, hear tones, and consider how to put things so as to avoid inducing tears/receiving a punch in the head. Online we get none of this, and the red mist can suddenly descend. But if we can't make it work here, then where can we?

Have suggested a few things in the past which boil down to:

READING
1) if you think someone's a troll then don't feed them, but accept that one man's troll is another man's lost soul. The only alternative is banning people and on the whole how can you really draw that line?
2) very occasional posts that are clearly just offensive or deliberate stirring can be removed on serious justified request if mod agrees
3) if something makes you, er, seethe, see if there are other tones you might read it in that might at least alter the seethe level

WRITING
4) imagine that you are actually talking to someone AND/OR draft before you post - particularly if you are a) seething or b) surrounded by red mist

CLARIFICATION
5) ideally develop a process for seeking clarification (white flag approach)

(when I say "you", I might add, I mean "one")

Am most keen to read other views and am often influenced by people posting here. Am sure that fundamentally our views are generally more aligned than not, and it's important, in general, particularly in this new barking mad world, that we can discuss our smallish differences without losing it.

Having said all that of course, even face to face I struggle to communicate without unintentionally pissing people off.
It's a gift. And a curse.

Mostly a curse.
Thanks. This is good advice. But for me, trolls are not the problem. I can ignore them. It's bullies. I was bullied a lot as a child. I can cope with it now, but I don't have to seek it out in my leisure time! Bullies don't troll they seek to hurt, perhaps sometimes inadvertently. For me, ignoring my lengthy and tedious explanations of why I hold a particular position and labelling me with a slogan I don't merit is tremendously hurtful. That's my problem. And why I am reluctant to be here.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
gilsey wrote:
It's lovely to see you.

Well indeed.

Can't we hope for a better EU?
Yes we can. :D
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:That doesn't seem all that plausible. Greece's priority is getting the big money debt off its back, and to do that it must look far less like a mess.
That's common sense, when has that ever had a part to play in the Greek tragedy?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

And one day I'll summon up the courage to tell you what really upset me here ;-)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Good to see you PfY, some of us at least appreciate fair nuanced commentary and always have done :)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I've just started reading John McDonnell's speech today in Hansard, has anyone seen it picked up in the press anywhere?

I'm not always enamoured of his pronouncements but in this case he seems to have it covered.
https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2 ... esolutions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eg
Some have tried to portray yesterday’s announcement as progressive, but what is progressive about raising taxes for low-paid drivers while the Government go ahead with cuts to capital gains tax for a tiny few? What is progressive about raising taxes for low-paid self-employed cleaners while the wealthiest families in the country get an inheritance tax cut? What is progressive about raising taxes for plumbers while multinational corporations see their tax bills slashed year after year?
Last edited by gilsey on Thu 09 Mar, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.