Thursday 9th March 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 9th March 2017

Post by HindleA »

Maybe,then we should all make efforts to ensure that explanatory posts are acknowledged,appreciated and listened to and the posters know this and recognise differing sensitivities.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

adam wrote:May kicks NI change into the long grass of the autumn.
Theresa May robustly defends controversial increase in national insurance but says legislation will not be introduced until autumn after MPs raise concerns
Pathetic by May.

Though it does mean Labour don't have to take a decision on opposing or supporting yet in a vote, which is good.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Good to see you PfY, some of us at least appreciate fair nuanced commentary and always have done :)
;-)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
adam wrote:May kicks NI change into the long grass of the autumn.
Theresa May robustly defends controversial increase in national insurance but says legislation will not be introduced until autumn after MPs raise concerns
Pathetic by May.

Though it does mean Labour don't have to take a decision on opposing or supporting yet in a vote, which is good.
They should oppose it, for the left-wingers the increase kicks in far too low, as AK said, and for the 'moderates' it's anti-aspiration.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

gilsey wrote:I've just started reading John McDonnell's speech today in Hansard, has anyone seen it picked up in the press anywhere?

I'm not always enamoured of his pronouncements but in this case he seems to have it covered.
https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2 ... esolutions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eg
Some have tried to portray yesterday’s announcement as progressive, but what is progressive about raising taxes for low-paid drivers while the Government go ahead with cuts to capital gains tax for a tiny few? What is progressive about raising taxes for low-paid self-employed cleaners while the wealthiest families in the country get an inheritance tax cut? What is progressive about raising taxes for plumbers while multinational corporations see their tax bills slashed year after year?
He's right about the tax cuts, but the IFS etc aren't talking about them when they say progressive. You can pay out £100k at the moment to two workers, one contractor and one an employee, and the contractor gives rise to £7k less in tax. That's pretty stunning.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Beyond irony from the BBC
Donald Tusk row leaves Poland isolated in EU
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

gilsey wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Pathetic by May.

They should oppose it, for the left-wingers the increase kicks in far too low, as AK said, and for the 'moderates' it's anti-aspiration.
Not very many self-employed people employ others.

Everyone else is paying more tax than is fair because of the anomaly in the treatment.

Middle class tax rises are going to be needed. I don't know if Labour needs to be opposing this.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Yes, but it needs a proper review with consultation of small business organisations, accountants, etc, a debate.

Not this.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Beyond irony from the BBC
Donald Tusk row leaves Poland isolated in EU
I don't know. Poland has a Kipper government who've made arses of themselves by steaming into Tusk,who seems fairly respected internationally. Kippers don't understand that other governments don't see domestic politicians the way they do.

Ha ha, yeah, I get you now. Very good.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Thu 09 Mar, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

McDonnell makes a lot more sense than Javid. How much longer will the media let the tories get away with this bollocks?
There has been no recognition of the state in which the right hon. Gentleman’s party left the country’s finances, no awareness of the millions of lives devastated by Labour’s record-breaking recession, and absolutely no understanding of the most basic rule of any responsible Government: if you want to spend money, you have to raise it. If the right hon. Gentleman had been standing on the steps of No. 11 yesterday, holding up his little red book—I mean box—he would have come here and announced half a trillion pounds of additional borrowing, and every last penny of that, every last penny, would have had to be serviced and paid off by our children and our children’s children for decades to come. [Interruption.]

Let me explain to the hon. Member for Newcastle upon Tyne Central (Chi Onwurah), who is speaking from a sedentary position, how finance actually works. If you borrow money, you have to pay it back. Tens of millions of hard-working Britons know that. They do it every month, with their mortgages, their loans and their credit card bills. That concept, however, seems to elude the right hon. Gentleman. Well, let us hope that he learns something today: after all, I have always been a great believer in workplace learning.
Will I ever find out whether they actually believe this crap or if they're just taking the piss?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Good Lord, that's desperately awful.

Wasn't Javid supporting Stephen Crabbe? I thought he had some investment ideas.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

gilsey wrote:Yes, but it needs a proper review with consultation of small business organisations, accountants, etc, a debate.

Not this.
I don't see why really. Like any finance measure, you put the OBR to work on it, and see what it does.

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world if Labour opposes- that's how politics works, and that's what they'd do.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Boris Johnson has told the BBC that Britain should reject any EU demands for a £50bn "exit bill" and follow the example of former PM Margaret Thatcher.
It has been reported that EU negotiator Michel Barnier has said the UK must continue to pay into the EU until 2020.

Mr Johnson said it was "not reasonable" for the UK to "continue to make vast budget payments" once it left the EU.

He cited Mrs Thatcher's success at the 1984 Fontainebleau Summit, when she threatened to halt payments to the EU.

"I think we have illustrious precedent in this matter, and you will doubtless recall the 1984 Fontainebleau Summit in which Mrs Thatcher said she wanted her money back, and I think that is exactly what we will get," he told BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg in BBC Two's Brexit: Britain's Biggest Deal.
It'll be our Article 50 clock running down. They might as well spin this out till after the local elections. France will be preoccupied with elections.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Boris Johnson has told the BBC that Britain should reject any EU demands for a £50bn "exit bill" and follow the example of former PM Margaret Thatcher.
It has been reported that EU negotiator Michel Barnier has said the UK must continue to pay into the EU until 2020.

Mr Johnson said it was "not reasonable" for the UK to "continue to make vast budget payments" once it left the EU.

He cited Mrs Thatcher's success at the 1984 Fontainebleau Summit, when she threatened to halt payments to the EU.

"I think we have illustrious precedent in this matter, and you will doubtless recall the 1984 Fontainebleau Summit in which Mrs Thatcher said she wanted her money back, and I think that is exactly what we will get," he told BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg in BBC Two's Brexit: Britain's Biggest Deal.
It'll be our Article 50 clock running down. They might as well spin this out till after the local elections. France will be preoccupied with elections.
Presumably (I can't quite remember) Thatcher's position was that we would pull out of the EU if they didn't agree.

Oh.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 6m6 minutes ago
More
Conservative GAIN Waltham Cross (Broxbourne) from Labour.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39223150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Florida lawyer's trousers catch fire in court arson trial
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Another reason I wear pink dressing gowns,as yet,touch wood,they haven't gone ablaze(some designer fag burns granted)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 6m6 minutes ago
More
Conservative GAIN Waltham Cross (Broxbourne) from Labour.
Surprised they don't hold that seat already.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

gilsey wrote:
no awareness of the millions of lives devastated by Labour’s record-breaking recession
What does that even mean anyway?

record-breaking in what respect?

Certainly not in unemployment as it peaked at 2.511m before the 2010 election unlike previous tory recessions hwere it went over 3m.

In fact, unemployment was falling by the 2010 election to 2.451m...and then started to rise again in 2011 and went above 2.6m.

here's the unemployment rate chart. So whose record did labour break again?

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... gue-tables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ofsted to investigate schools 'gaming system' to move up league tables
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

[youtube]vCCG2Z9LoVk[/youtube]