Monday 13 March 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Monday 13 March 2017

Post by SpinningHugo »

Yesterday we were arguing about whether Labour's decline was determined b poor leadership or by larger forces, such as demographic change. I argued the latter, others argued the former.

V interesting from Ross McKibbin (no Blairite) on this very point

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magaz ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with a response

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magaz ... ldnt-split" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the PLP are both spineless and hopelessly sentimental, and so they won't do anything from here out.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Re: Monday 13 March 2017

Post by howsillyofme1 »

You are misrepresenting the arguments

You did not talk of 'demographic change' but suggested the collapse of Labour was 'inevitable' based on a general move to identity politics

I assume that this is to absolve the previous Labour leaderships of blame as it was 'inevitable'

My argument is that the Labour collapse was, at least, in part, driven by poor politics and decisions taken by the party leadership.

The SNP were doing well at Holywood but poorly in Westminster until 2015. Labour votes dropped almost 20% between 2010 and 2015

Why did Labour voters desert....we're they all closet Nationalists - the polling would indicate otherwise

Jim Murphy having a history of supporting Tory cuts, the disaster of Lamont and the closeness to the Tory Government in Better Together all played a part I am sure.

I am sure you can add to that the disillusion with the Labour machine and the taking of Scotland for granted

The SNP are in the happy position that they can threaten independence without having to deliver it. True Nationalists will still vote for them and it seems a good number of ex Labour non-Nationalists will do too

That latter voter can be clawed back over time if policies appeal to them but it will take some hard hard work to do so, and competent politicians in the SNP

You can argue the same thing for England too

Labour need to work out what they for now and how they should organise in these changed political times

A soggy centrist party triangulating to try and please everyone is not the answer
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:You are misrepresenting the arguments

You did not talk of 'demographic change' but suggested the collapse of Labour was 'inevitable' based on a general move to identity politics

I assume that this is to absolve the previous Labour leaderships of blame as it was 'inevitable'

My argument is that the Labour collapse was, at least, in part, driven by poor politics and decisions taken by the party leadership.

The SNP were doing well at Holywood but poorly in Westminster until 2015. Labour votes dropped almost 20% between 2010 and 2015

Why did Labour voters desert....we're they all closet Nationalists - the polling would indicate otherwise

Jim Murphy having a history of supporting Tory cuts, the disaster of Lamont and the closeness to the Tory Government in Better Together all played a part I am sure.

I am sure you can add to that the disillusion with the Labour machine and the taking of Scotland for granted

The SNP are in the happy position that they can threaten independence without having to deliver it. True Nationalists will still vote for them and it seems a good number of ex Labour non-Nationalists will do too

That latter voter can be clawed back over time if policies appeal to them but it will take some hard hard work to do so, and competent politicians in the SNP

You can argue the same thing for England too

Labour need to work out what they for now and how they should organise in these changed political times

A soggy centrist party triangulating to try and please everyone is not the answer
1. Demographic change is one of the factors that has led to the change in identity politics. If you 'identified' as a member of the industrial working class, you voted Labour (see the name of the party). As that demography has declined, so people have voted according to different identities. I think I was wrong on reflection. I should have said that the identities people associate themselves with have changed.

2. Yes, I was defending Jeremy Corbyn, and saying there was little he could do to reverse the decline in Scotland. Those who thought he could were doubly deluded. They were deluded about Corbyn and Scotland.

3. The claim is not that leadership doesn't matter at all. Obviously it does. But nobody, surely, thinks that Labour's problems will all be solved as soon as we get rid of Corbyn. I tend to the view that Labour can never now win, partly because of the damage of Corbyn, and that only a complete realignment can get the Tories out. To *that* end, it may be better to stick with Corbyn as he'll destroy any other option.

4. You're being unfair on Miliband. The 2010-2015 period when he was leader was not the only period of decline. I suspect, but cannot prove, that the leadership of the party is more significant than the leader in Scotland. BFocusing on Murphy alonre is completely daft. He was leader from 2014-15, the period when Labour was particularly stuffed because of the impact of the Scottish referendum The claim that it was vital that Labour didn't campaign alongside the Tories is hardly proven by the subsequent (mis-)conduct of the EU referendum campaign.

Labour in Scotland has declined under Blair, Brown, Miliband and Corbyn. Through Blairism, soft-left, and Bennite fantasy. It has been remorseless. FPTP has merely emphasised the tipping point.

5. The idea that Labour votes can be 'clawed back over time' in Scotland (and England) with a bit of radical leftism is now being tested. The signs are not propitious. But, maybe if Labour just organises a bit better and tries even harder all will be well.

Good luck with that. I can't, of course, prove you're wrong about the future.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

We can argue long over 'the traditional working class' but that has not existed since the 80s....especially in terms of union participation - the reduction in labour force organization has been a difficulty for Labour

There is also no real evidence for a decline in a Labour support at Westminster -2010 was in the range seen since the 70s. What happened is that the SNP made gains in Holywood and actually were not the disaster predicted

The SNPs rise was not 'inevitable'....it was aided and abetted by policy and personnel decisions taken by the Labour Party

The truth as I see it is Labour lost Scotland rather than the SNP won it.

Labour has to work out what it is for in the current climate. I favour a radical left platform but most of the PLP and SLP don't seem to

Murphy was not totally to blame but heven didn't help in any way either the national or local party
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Thought Corbyn came across perfectly well on Today. The lack of a punchy line phrase doesn't help those that only hear the headlines etc. Glad to hear the pushback on the apples and oranges Marr comparison of Tory V Labour tax costs. I'm still disappointed that the acceptance of the question framing (£70bn) isn't taken on. Saying we don't accept that figure isn't enough of a pushback imho.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.whq.org.uk/2017/03/13/legisl ... right-buy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Legislation will end the Right to Buy

A Bill to abolish the right to buy in Wales is set to be introduced in the National Assembly today (Monday).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

I'm just hearing that SEE are to increase their prices by around 6.5%.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... x-12729832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Newcastle couple celebrate Bedroom Tax victory after four year struggle
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bma.org.uk/news/2017/march/ ... mgdoctors=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NHS could lose millions to immigration charge
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... e-low.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does free movement really enable a low wage economy?

Mainlymacro
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

I'm just hearing that SEE are to increase their prices by around 6.5%.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 26556.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://newsthump.com/2017/03/13/bbc-vie ... el-farage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BBC viewers never more than six hours away from Nigel Farage
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... e-low.html

Does free movement really enable a low wage economy?

Mainlymacro
Yep. I agree with a lot of that article. We can't solve problems unless we accurately define them. Playing along with misleading right wing interpretations of what the problem is, holds the left back from making the arguments needed to win support for the solutions needed. If the left agrees immigration is a cause of stagnating wages it will be expected to curb immigration and will find it difficult to win support for the real solution, which is investment.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The death of dialect? Don't believe a word of it
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.trustforlondon.org.uk/news- ... of-living/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour Press
This is a timely reminder that the growing national housing crisis is entrenched and endemic in London - Andy Slaughter
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:http://newsthump.com/2017/03/13/bbc-vie ... el-farage/

BBC viewers never more than six hours away from Nigel Farage

“There have been times when I’ve turned on Question Time and Nigel hasn’t been on,” fumed one UKIP councillor.

“I shouldn’t have to wait until This Week comes on immediately afterwards to hear him telling it like it is.

“It’s just another establishment stitch-up.”

:lol!:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G live blog:

10:56
The Conservative Group for Europe has published a paper accusing the government of siding with Brexit “zealots” over leaving the EU, the Press Association reports.

The CGE paper says the government’s white paper on Brexit was “designed to delight Brexit zealots” but risked alienating the Tory’s natural supporters in the business community. It says:

As Britain starts the process of withdrawal from the European Union, the prospects are high that the outcome of the exit negotiations will cause significant damage to the political and economic interests of both Britain and the EU. There is a real danger that if these negotiations go awry, our relationships may be blighted for a generation.
The cracks are starting to show.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:From the G live blog:

10:56
The Conservative Group for Europe has published a paper accusing the government of siding with Brexit “zealots” over leaving the EU, the Press Association reports.

The CGE paper says the government’s white paper on Brexit was “designed to delight Brexit zealots” but risked alienating the Tory’s natural supporters in the business community. It says:

As Britain starts the process of withdrawal from the European Union, the prospects are high that the outcome of the exit negotiations will cause significant damage to the political and economic interests of both Britain and the EU. There is a real danger that if these negotiations go awry, our relationships may be blighted for a generation.

The cracks are starting to show.
Yes. But belated open panic probably won't be of much help to the rest of us. Still, it raises a (very) hollow laugh.

Edited to add -

Will that increase the prospect of Theresa May triggering Article 50 tomorrow if she gets the opportunity to do so? I'm guessing it will. She'll be anxious to prove her loyalty to the longer-standing members of the club she's joined.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bath.ac.uk/ipr/policy-briefs ... he-uk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IPR Working Paper: The Fiscal and Distributional Implications of Alternative Universal Basic Income Schemes in the UK
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sturgeon says she will asks Scottish parliament to vote next week for second independence referendum (Politics Live, Guardian)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:
Sturgeon says she will asks Scottish parliament to vote next week for second independence referendum (Politics Live, Guardian)
Has she just hung the Westminster SNP MPs out to dry? Tory rule beyond 2030 apparently. A week is no longer a long time in politics.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning.

Succinctly put:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Maybe not ever. But certainly the worst since Eden - or possibly Lord Liverpool.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Ian Dunt's Twitter feed won't cheer anyone up...

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

This forum differs on some matters, but I hope we can all agree that Erdogan is a menace both to his own country and the wider world?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:This forum differs on some matters, but I hope we can all agree that Erdogan is a menace both to his own country and the wider world?
Absolutely...and been pandered to for too long......
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... isters-say" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NHS data loss scandal has prompted five inquiries, ministers say
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

What has cost the Labour Party most can be summed up in three letters:
BBC

It no longer feels the need to hold the government to account. Always at least 3 right wingers on QT. Andrew Neil; Laura Kuensberg; John Humphrys; Nick Robinson; Rona Fairhead; Tories absolutely everywhere. Farage and UKIP nutters being taken seriously; BBC journos thinking their job description is to coruscate Labour at every opportunity and to promulgate Tory propaganda. People still trust the BBC cos Call the Midwife etc.

They control all the media so they control the narrative. Some see fit to blame this on Milne. *sighs*
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Letter from Keeley to Heywood-gist,edited.

Analysis of additional funding of social care announced in budget shows Surrey will receive the biggest increase in share of the budget over next three years-more than double the increase of the second-Hertfordshire.
This came after correspondence from SCC released under FOI re.contact between Ministers and D Hodge and officials
(Outlining)

In light of this a case for investigation ,in particular Ministerial Code breach under conflict of interest.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39223178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Revision App customers complain of unexpected payments
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Hahaha, so Leanne Wood in backing to Sturgeon shocker :toss:

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Milne is not to blame for the above my oiky friend, but he doesn't help matters either.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/el ... um-win-win" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For Nicola Sturgeon, a second referendum is win-win
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not convinced by that at all, losing a second time could cause the SNP some grief however dominant they seem currently.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Corbyn on Today suggested there had been mischievous reporting of his comments re Indy Ref2.

PA have released the video and the transcript:

Labour's position now apparently is: https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/uk ... referendum:
Jeremy Corbyn – whose position on a second referendum has been a bit unclear in recent days – is clear that a second referendum is “wrong”. But Labour will try to block it only in Holyrood, not Westminster.

"The 2014 Scottish Independence referendum was billed as a once in a generation event. The result was decisive and there is no appetite for another referendum. Labour believes it would be wrong to hold another so soon and Scottish Labour will oppose it in the Scottish parliament. If, however, the Scottish parliament votes for one, Labour will not block that democratic decision at Westminster. If there is another referendum, Labour will oppose independence because it is not in the interests of any part of the country to break up the UK."

Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron has released a statement opposing a second referendum and says the SNP has “gone back on their word” in the 2014 contest.

“Scottish Liberal Democrats stood for election last year on a platform to oppose a new independence referendum. That is what we will do.

“The First Minister refused to state that Scotland would be a full EU member under her plan. The SNP are risking taking Scotland out of both the UK and out of the EU. Being outside both would be the worst of all worlds for Scotland.

“We believe that the SNP have gone back on their word that 2014 was ‘once in a generation’.”
(my emphasis) WTF can't Labour support the Scottish Labour position ? Wibbling between the two alternate positions is what led to the chaos of Labour voters not knowing the party position on Brexit ! #JustSayNO
Attachments
screenshot-twitter.com 2017-03-13 13-52-46.jpg
screenshot-twitter.com 2017-03-13 13-52-46.jpg (114.73 KiB) Viewed 14903 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Except that the "Scottish Labour position" on this has itself moved around a fair bit in the past year.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

@SpinningHugo

I recall you telling me this about Liam Fox's tweet yesterday.
It was on a blue screen. He couldn't see it.
Apparently not so.

Adam Bienkov‏Verified account @AdamBienkov 3h3 hours ago
More
Adam Bienkov Retweeted Tom Larkin
For those still asking Sky have confirmed that the screen behind Fox is real and guests can see it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Except that the "Scottish Labour position" on this has itself moved around a fair bit in the past year.
It's what it is now, and they're very annoyed with him.

It's not stupid what he says in itself, by any means, but it's a good example of how to blow a waste a good news cycle and piss off his party.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

The EU has said an independent Scotland would have to join a queue of nations seeking membership of the bloc, after Nicola Sturgeon announced plans for a second independence referendum.

Wading into the debate on the Scottish government’s plans for a second vote, a spokesperson for the European Commission said Scotland would not be granted automatic access to the EU.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 27201.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:dance: :clap:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Not convinced by that at all, losing a second time could cause the SNP some grief however dominant they seem currently.
Agree.

If May softens the Brexit a bit, it could be a downer even holding it.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Kezia Dugdale says:
“Scotland is already divided enough. We do not want to be divided again, but that is exactly what another independence referendum would do.

“Two years ago, 85% of Scotland’s voters took part in the independence referendum and the result was a clear vote to remain in the UK.

“With our country facing all of the uncertainty around the Tories' reckless plans for a hard Brexit, the last thing we need is even more uncertainty and division.

“A clear majority of the people of Scotland voted to reject the SNP’s false hope and lies, and backed working together with the other nations of the UK.

"The reality is that leaving the UK would mean turbo-charged austerity for Scotland, putting the future of our schools and hospitals at risk.

“Labour believes that together we’re stronger. That is why we firmly oppose a second referendum and Scottish Labour MSPs will vote against the SNP’s proposals next week. We will stand up for the people of Scotland, who do not want a second independence referendum.

"Nicola Sturgeon could have made a passionate case for bringing powers from Brussels to Edinburgh, instead she did what she always does: sought grievance and division.

“Scotland deserves better than this. Nicola Sturgeon’s government is presiding over an education system with a growing gap between the richest and the rest, a health service that doesn’t have enough doctors and nurses, and an economy which sees more than 200,000 Scottish children live in poverty.

“Scotland would be a better place if the First Minister stopped dividing the country and started actually governing the country.”
(my emphasis)
Last edited by pk1 on Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:
The EU has said an independent Scotland would have to join a queue of nations seeking membership of the bloc, after Nicola Sturgeon announced plans for a second independence referendum.

Wading into the debate on the Scottish government’s plans for a second vote, a spokesperson for the European Commission said Scotland would not be granted automatic access to the EU.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 27201.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't take that too seriously. They're deal makers.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
pk1 wrote:

It's the same as the SNP were told in 2014.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... als-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thousands of vulnerable people held unlawfully in care homes – report
Law Commission study, laid before parliament, reveals growing strain on already overburdened care system
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
pk1 wrote: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 27201.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's the same as the SNP were told in 2014.
They were pealing off the side of another member state, like Catalonia would try to do. Not the case now.

Spain isn't leaving.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And another one...

Rye Studio School to convert to sixth form

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/rye-studio-sch ... ixth-form/
A one-time ‘Outstanding’ studio school for 14 to 19 year olds has announced it will convert to become a sixth form centre after its performance slumped.

Rye Studio School wrote to parents informing them of the change last week. It will become the 16th institution of its kind to either close outright or stop delivering provision from 14 since the model’s conception in 2010.

The school in east Sussex was rated ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted in 2015 but slumped to ‘requires improvement’ in January due to poor academic standards.

Pupils currently on courses will be allowed to complete them, but no new year 10s or year 12s will be admitted in 2017-18.

From September 2018, the studio school will re-design as a 16-to-19 sixth form centre and will be called Studio 6.
:roll:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That's got the number of Outstanding free schools down too, I think.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The devil's in the detail...

Exclusive: Major National Citizen Service provider goes bust

http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/200331 ... -goes-bust
It has emerged that Engage4Life Limited - one of 10 main providers awarded regional contracts worth close to £1bn to deliver the NCS between 2015 and 2018 - went into liquidation 14 months ago.

Papers filed at the time show that Engage4Life (E4L) went into liquidation with debts of more than £500,000, including around £400,000 owed to nine local NCS providers.

A progress report by the official liquidator, filed last week, reveals that the NCS Trust, which runs the NCS on behalf of the government, is also now claiming it is owed £780,000.

The report reveals that the director of E4L, Gareth Holohan, received a total of £710,000 in dividends around three months before E4L went bust. The money was paid into his director's loan account eliminating a debt of £369,000 that he already owed to the company. Over the subsequent three months he made three payments from the account to himself totalling £329,000.
:fire:
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Sturgeon has no choice politically. She can't wait until post-hard Brexit to make her move.

It is possible the Nats will win. Two factors have shifted

1. The EU. Scotland would be offered fast track membership IMO. The choice is now staying in the EU or staying in the UK. If I were Scottish I'd still vote for the latter out of self interest, but the balance has shifted.

2. The collapse of Labour. Back in 2014 there was the fairly strong prospect of Lab/SNP government. Now Tory government looks set as far as the eye can see.

The oil price makes the SNP's economic programme even more implausible, but who knows?

William Hills make it odds on Scotland votes for independence

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/bri ... nd-of-2024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Making it even more certain that Tory rule down south is more or less permanent.