Wednesday 15th March 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 15th March 2017

Post by PorFavor »

Jack Blanchard (@Jack_Blanchard_)

Senior Labour source: "Of course #PMQs matters. Jeremy has tried to do it in a different way to other political leaders."
March 15, 2017

(Politics Live, Guardian)
Yes. I'd noticed.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Harsh but fair

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... a-may-hook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:From the G live blog:
Torsten Bell, director of the Resolution Foundation, the living standards thinktank, has expressed disappointment about the U-turn.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of Conservative manifesto commitments, today’s U-turn on national insurance means the government has missed an opportunity to correct a big structural flaw in our tax system which allows better-off self-employed workers to pay far less tax than employees.

This matters both for fairness and for the public finances. The U-turn means the cost of lower national insurance for the self-employed will now grow from £5.1bn this year to an estimated £6.2bn in 2019-20.
Reminds me of Osborne's omnishambles budget of 2012. In amongst the usual Tory regressive stuff was a cut to tax relief on charitable donations. I found myself going against public opinion at the time in thinking the policy relatively sound. Naturally that meant the rabid right wing press hated it and it was promptly jettisoned. This U-turn is quite a frightening indication of how much May and Hammond are hostage to the tabloid press and a handful of far right backbenchers.
This is a very rare occasion when I agree with the IoD.
there are good reasons to look at levelling the playing field for employees and the self-employed, as the tax on direct employment is disproportionally higher. However, it would have been much better if, as the IoD had suggested, the government had waited for the conclusions of its own review of modern employment, and reformed wholesale how different forms of work are taxed. Instead they announced they would raise one tax in isolation, only to cancel it a week later. Successive governments have acknowledged that the growth in self-employment has implications for tax revenues, but not one has wanted to take the political risk of undertaking real long-lasting reform.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:

Jack Blanchard (@Jack_Blanchard_)

Senior Labour source: "Of course #PMQs matters. Jeremy has tried to do it in a different way to other political leaders."
March 15, 2017

(Politics Live, Guardian)
Yes. I'd noticed.
When I saw the NICs announcement earlier, my first thought was, deliberately timed to throw JC at PMQs. Even his best friend wouldn't say that thinking on his feet is among his strengths.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The Labour Party‏ @UKLabour
Labour pressure has forced this U-turn. We said self-employed people should not have to pay for Tory tax breaks for those at the top. #PMQs
12:55 pm · 15 Mar 2017
What about better off self-employed people contributing to their own increased state pension entitlements? Because that's what's been stopped. And a system which needs reforming is going to get even more out of step between now and the next parliament by which time it will be even harder for a responsible Chancellor to get reasonable rises past a self-serving press.

I'm confused about why Labour are crowing about this u-turn. We now have a £2bn black hole that is probably going to be clawed back through yet more cuts to those least able to afford it.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:
The Labour Party‏ @UKLabour
Labour pressure has forced this U-turn. We said self-employed people should not have to pay for Tory tax breaks for those at the top. #PMQs
12:55 pm · 15 Mar 2017
What about better off self-employed people contributing to their own increased state pension entitlements? Because that's what's been stopped. And a system which needs reforming is going to get even more out of step between now and the next parliament by which time it will be even harder for a responsible Chancellor to get reasonable rises past a self-serving press.

I'm confused about why Labour are crowing about this u-turn. We now have a £2bn black hole that is probably going to be clawed back through yet more cuts to those least able to afford it.
It had been ear marked for social care.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

The British Government has ruled out introducing Irish border posts after leaving the EU. Brexit Secretary David Davis said the UK would adopt technology to cover the movement of goods between Northern Ireland and the Republic. He gave evidence to his Westminster scrutiny committee about the future of the UK’s only land frontier with an EU state.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/hard-borde ... -1-4392773

"Beam me over the border, Scotty"
I wonder what the EU said about this idea. Davis is very sure of himself - he must have consulted an EU official or two ...mustn't he?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2017 ... llegations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Twelve police forces have passed files to the Crown Prosecution Service over allegations that Conservatives broke campaign spending laws at the last election, after a 10-month investigation by police forces across the country.
Good to see these allegations properly followed up. Not sure anything much will ultimately come of it, but the fact it has got this far must surely act as a warning to any party thinking of bending the rules in future that it won't be tolerated.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Evening, folks,
Here's a cheery story that makes you wonder what will happen when Liam Fox gets the employment deregulation the brexiteers are gagging for:
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... ext_Story1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And @Willow: I was eventually tempted to have a look at Firefly, thanks to you. They pulled the plug when I had two episodes to go.
Git.
Any idea where to find them?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.channel4.com/news/election- ... m-involved" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Election Expenses: New emails show more members of PM’s top team involved
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

55DegreesNorth wrote:Evening, folks,
Here's a cheery story that makes you wonder what will happen when Liam Fox gets the employment deregulation the brexiteers are gagging for:
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... ext_Story1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And @Willow: I was eventually tempted to have a look at Firefly, thanks to you. They pulled the plug when I had two episodes to go.
Git.
Hi. I think you can rent single episodes from Amazon Prime Video thingy. Although the box set on DVD is only a tenner. The last episode, 14, was originally going to be a pivotal mid-season episode before the channel cancelled the show. It's a real corker, leaving a lot of unanswered questions which, when you see it, really explains why so many people wanted Joss Whedon to make a film of his idea for the over-arching story line. Well worth catching if you can.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The EU External Affairs Sub-Committee today is publishing a report on the implications of Brexit for the UK’s trade in goods with the EU.
Customs admin and delays a serious concern for firms after Brexit
14 March 2017

Conclusions and recommendations...
306. If the UK and EU are unable to agree a FTA within the two years provided for in Article 50 TEU, preferential terms for trade between the UK and the EU would cease, and WTO rules would apply.
This can only be avoided by negotiating a transitional arrangement.
Businesses, both domestic and foreign, would welcome such a period of adjustment.

307. We urge the Government to establish at the outset of negotiations a clear strategy for a future transitional agreement, with specific proposals as to what form it should take.

308. We welcome the Prime Minister’s commitment to a phased implementation of Brexit.
We note, however, that this commitment is conditional upon the UK and EU agreeing a FTA within the two years provided for in Article 50 TEU.
This is inherently ambitious, and there has been no indication so far that the EU is willing to contemplate such a truncated negotiation.

309. We are concerned that the introduction of a new IT system for customs—planned for the year that the UK leaves the EU—may add to the complexity of the trading conditions facing businesses in the wake of Brexit.
We urge HMRC to ensure that the system is robust and fully tested before it is rolled out, to prevent further disruption to businesses.

310. We welcome the Government’s commitment to report to Parliament on the cost of new infrastructure and of additional staffing at customs posts.

311. We welcome the Government’s efforts to increase the promotion of UK trade overseas.
We ask the Government to confirm that it is confident it has sufficient commercial staff in UK embassies overseas to promote the UK’s trade interests, in particular in comparison to the staffing of the embassies of other European countries.

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/ ... /12902.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A new IT system for customs is planned.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

For those interested in the Dutch election -
Timings

Polls close at 9pm local time (8pm GMT).

We expect the first exit poll at about 8.o5pm GMT and then a more accurate exit poll roughly 30 minutes later at 8.30pm GMT

Results will start to come in from some of the small islands quite quickly, but the big cities like Amsterdam and Rotterdam won’t declare until after 11pm GMT.

We should have a clearer idea of where things are by midnight GMT.

Updated at 7.22pm GMT (Guardian Live Blog)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... lands-live
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

A new IT system in less than 2 years?

Hmm...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

House of Commons Library
Brexit Glossary
Published Monday, March 13, 2017

Hard Brexit
A situation in which the UK leaves the EU swiftly and probably with a free trade agreement (FTA) with the EU.
A very hard Brexit would involve resorting to WTO rules.

Soft Brexit
A situation in which the UK leaves the EU but negotiates continued membership of the European Economic Area (EEA) and largely staying in the single market while giving up influence over single market rules.

Smooth Brexit
An orderly, negotiated, prepared Brexit.

Red, white and blue Brexit
The Prime Minister used this to describe the kind of Brexit she hopes to achieve, continuing: "the right Brexit for the UK, the right deal for the UK".
But its precise meaning has been debated.

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... y/CBP-7840
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:A new IT system in less than 2 years?

Hmm...
Oh, it'll be fine . . .
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm stunned. The 'Brexit' glossary published on the Parliament website complete with an attempt defining, 'Red, white and blue Brexit'.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

We're hijacked and living someone's satirical reality show
Are there other explanations, please?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:

Hmm...
Oh, it'll be fine . . .
Universal Credit
:shock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The UK’s EU referendum 2016 explained
Browse impartial information on Brexit: the next steps for the UK
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... eferendum/
It would've been more reassuring not including the word, 'impartial', in my opinion.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:

Hmm...
Oh, it'll be fine . . .
Indeed I think PF won the tender ...
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

citizenJA wrote:I'm stunned. The 'Brexit' glossary published on the Parliament website complete with an attempt defining, 'Red, white and blue Brexit'.
I do sometimes wonder whether I am currently sentient.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Mr citizen is fashioning aluminium head garments for us all
I've pronounced al-U-min-E-um properly
it's adorable
turned up at the ends
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Mr H - you could get Shetland ponies in to do the lawn.
At least a bargaining tool with Tarquin.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Very Europe:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... etherlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dutch demo features placards in English.
You can see why we're so furious here, what with people staying over there and bothering to speak "our" language and everything.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Idris says Wilders is promoting an “us and them” mentality. He says there’s a trend among his friends to disassociate from Dutch society and connect more with their heritage.
Divided we fall.
Part 2.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin Rowson on Philip Hammond’s budget U-turn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Very Europe:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... etherlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can see why we're so furious here, what with people staying over there and bothering to speak "our" language and everything.
using up all the English words on purpose so we won't have any
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

citizenJA wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Very Europe:
using up all the English words on purpose so we won't have any
Ah yes.
But don't worry. Boris will reclaim them for us.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Even though it's all French, Latin, Native American, Norse etc anyway
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@TC2 It has gone to ACAS
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

He drives a hard bargain for someone who's turquoise
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I don't have many comparative examples to be honest,not overly experienced in dealing with the United Lawn mowing turquoise tortoises named Tarqiun Association.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Probably set a precedent.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

He has a steely fortitude that's both admirable and unnerving
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I don't want a repeat when it spread and I was only left with three of the seven dwarfs and no Snow White.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm getting really fed up with all the TV ads saying, essentially, "Do something good for your loved ones. Die." I don't find them offensive - just so tedious.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Donaeld The Unready‏
@donaeldunready

Beware the Tides of March! Old Enemy the SEA up to old wishy washy tricks again, coming in, then going out... MAKE UP YOUR MIND THE SEA!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Even though it's all French, Latin, Native American, Norse etc anyway
sprecken sie people lingo mon ami os gwelwch yn dda
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I looked up the spelling of 'please' in Welsh
I can say it without checking first though
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

MAKE UP YOUR MIND THE SEA!

even better than

10 THINGS YOU MUST NEVER PUT IN YOUR FRIDGE
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Willow904 wrote:
55DegreesNorth wrote:Evening, folks,

Git.
Hi. I think you can rent single episodes from Amazon Prime Video thingy. Although the box set on DVD is only a tenner. The last episode, 14, was originally going to be a pivotal mid-season episode before the channel cancelled the show. It's a real corker, leaving a lot of unanswered questions which, when you see it, really explains why so many people wanted Joss Whedon to make a film of his idea for the over-arching story line. Well worth catching if you can.
This is one of the things I'm not a fan of, about streaming video. Firefly has gone from 'free' on Netflix to pay-for on Amazon (glad I've got the special edition box set). I had the same problem with Full Metal Alchemist (anime). It was on Netflix and someone at work talked it up. By the time I decided to watch it, it had been taken off and it's now on Crunchy Roll (anime streaming service). Buggered if I'm going to take out another subscription. (luckily, the person at work has the DVDs. 4 episodes down, 60 to go.)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Fernande van Tets @Fernande_VT
Historic loss for the Labour party in the #DutchElection. Drop of 29 seats, from 38 to 9. But big win for new voice of the left #GroenLinks
Labour (NL) no longer the party of labour? More just some kind of centrist party in which case vote D66 or groenlinks? same phenomenon here - except that PR means representation continues?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Naomi O'Leary ✔ @NaomiOhReally
No clear right-wing coalition to be formed here; the left is also completely splintered. Four party coalition at least #DutchElection #tk17
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Dutch elections -
The elections saw the highest turnout in the past 31 years, with 82 per cent of people going out to vote, according to Ipsos. (Guardian Live Blog)
And Geert Wilders hasn't done as well as he'd hoped\assumed that he would.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Fascists are probably understated in exit polls. Though I don't know if they adjust for that.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just a fleeting thought -

Before today, I'd never heard NICs referred to as "knicks" (short for knickers?). Which conjured up all sorts of horrible images what with the ups and downs.

But perhaps I hadn't been paying attention.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs- ... 17-to-2018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NHS-funded nursing care rate for 2017 to 2018

(Reduced)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Well, I'll just finish this page and then go to sleep.

Night night.